SM OU Hyper Offense OU Team

It took me a while to find a viable team for OU, but I think that this team did me the trick. I've gotten good success with this team, but if you guys can make it better, than let me know.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the pictures in this thread

Building Process​

I started with this core. If you couldn't tell, yes the OU viability ranking did partially inspire my team, but they're still very good. Landrous makes for great momentum with Stealth Rocks, and U-Turn, and Magearna is incredibly bulky and powerful.

I need a fire type and ice type resist to help balance out Landorous-T and Magearna's weaknesses. Greninja was an easy pick due to it's great ability and move pool.

Since Marshadow was recently made legal for OU, I figured I could use it as a fast physical sweeper, especially since Marshadow's move Spectral Thief allows it to shut down setup sweepers.

Even with Magearna, fairy types like Tapu Fini, Mimikyu, and opposing Magearnas, won't hesitate to shred my team apart, but Volcarona can help with this issue. I'ts great special attack along with good speed and special defense bulk, allows it to help against fairies.

Mega Abomasnow gets the last spot due to a lack of a reliable water resist, and for extra coverage. Abomasnow can take a hit or two rather well, and can set up with Swords Dance.

Now it's time to go over the squad

Marshadow @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
Even though I talked about it 3rd on the building process, it was the first one that I added to the team, so it gets first honers. Now as for the set itself, it's very simple, yet very powerful too. Marshadow's base 383 speed is one of the highest if not the highest speed stat in the tier, allowing it to OHKO most opposing pokemon with ease, thanks to its great coverage and incredible damage capability. On top of that, Spectral Thief allows it to shut down setup sweepers, especially Swords Dance users. Although this set doesn't use Technician at all, I figured that the power alone is enough to handle.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower
Landorous-Therian has currently been running the OU metagame, with a great attack stat complimented by decent bulk, great offensive typing, and wonderful movepool. This set is to stop momentum teams entirely, because ground give it volt switch immunity, and its ability plus rock helmet punishes U-Turns entirely. Landorus-T also has decent coverage itself with Earthquake and Superpower. There's not much else to say mainly because the set and pokemon kinda speak for itself really. This thing just owns the metagame, and punishes those who aren't careful about it.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
Magearna's bulk, movepool, special attack, and probably the best type in the entire metagame, are all factors of what makes Magearna a force for even Landorus-Therian to watch out for. The amount of viable builds for Magearna, make it hard to predict, and even harder to counter. This build in particular is mainly focused on Magerna's powerful special attack, and great bulk overall. It can tank hits for days, and hit back for super effective damage most of the time. This set also gives Magearna momentum in the form of Volt Switch, giving the team two momentum pokemon. And lastly, Magearna's ability allows for possible snowball sweeping, making it an even bigger threat than it already is.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Extrasensory
Oh Greninja, even with the most of the new OU pokemon from Sun and Moon going against your favor (Tapus, Toxapex, and Mimikyu), you still remain as the sweeping juggernaut in the current OU meta. Similar to Magearna, Greninja also has many viable builds, but unlike Magearna, Greninja has sets of both physical and special variants, so it's arguable that Greninja is even harder to predict than Magearna. This set however, is nothing extraordinary, it's a rather simple choice scarf set really. I was thinking about running Grass Knot instead of Extrasensory, but Grass Knot's lack of damage against many pokemon left it in the dust. Greninja's speed, power, and great offensive movepool and typing all make it a great pokemon for this offensive team.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
What's an offensive team without the setup king itself! Volcarona is a pokemon with great coverage, sweeping potential and superb offensive type, albeit a type that isn't good with rocks up. However, I originally had Specs Gangar here for possible wall breaking (so not all of the replays showcase Volcarona), but two ghost types and a lack of a reliable dark type check, left me to go with Volcarona instead, and I think that was a change for the better. Volcarona's coverage and movepool makes it incredibly useful, but cap all of that with the second best setup move in the metagame right behind Swords Dance, gives Volcarona a reputation of sweeping teams.

Couldn't find a good Mega Abomasnow gif, so here's this :/

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
In terms of a physical grass type, Mega Abomasnow is your best option. Tapu Bulu, has worse Stab coverage, and Tangrowth has less bulk on top of worse coverage. With that aside, Mega Abomasnow is a great physical sweeper, thanks to Swords Dance, the only reason that I went with Avalanche and not Ice Punch is because Mega Abomasnow is the slowest pokemon in the OU tier (correct me if I'm wrong), so having a move that doubles in damage when you're hit is better than just a plain stab with a chance to freeze. Seed Bomb is to make use of Abomasnow's bulkiness, instead of being quickly worn down with Wood Hammer. That's all really to say about this set.

Threat List​

Latios can be a bit annoying to handle if it has Hp Fire, but it doesn't than it should be a breeze to deal with.

If Magearna is dead, Mega Sableye can be a problem due its bulk, and that it can half my physical attackers attack stat. It also has Pain Split which can be a problem for Volcarona and Abomasnow, just keep Magearna healthy and you should be fine.

If rocks aren't up, then a Spore Focus Sash Smeargle can be hard to deal with., especially if it puts up sticky webs. Just make sure rocks stay up and you're good to go.

Mimikyu is an overall headache for my team to deal with. Swords Dance Shadow Sneak can wipe out half of my team with ease, and Disguise is just a pain. If it doesn't have Shadow Sneak (which is rare), Marshadow can deal with it, but only if the Disguise is down.

So that's my SM OU team, you do think of this team? What would you do to make it better? I'll be glad to know.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)