Hypersonic Demolition (Doubles, peaked #2)

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
~ Hypersonic Demolition ~

~ Rehho there guys, my name is Lagalaga, and I am today bringing you another Doubles RMT. Smogon Doubles is my favorite tier at the moment, as has it been for the past 2 months, since I actually don’t suck at it ;) This team’s name is Hypersonic Demoliton because it consists of 6 offensive pokemon working in Tailwind. This team is by far the best doubles team I have ever made, and peaked at #2 on the Smogondoubles ladder with a win / loss ratio of 20-0 on the alt "Laggerlagger", my personal record so far. Here are some screenshots ~

~ Team Preview ~

~ Remember that everything in this RMT is subject to change, even the threat list ~ (lol probably mostly the threat list)
Changes will be made in ~ Green ~

The idea I started from was using a doubles Tailwind team. I once made a different Tailwind team in doubles that wasn't nearly as good. Here is the old team:

What I learned from using this team was: 1) Suicune and Breloom are awesome for setting up and working in Tailwind, 2) Landorus-I sucks on a Tailwind team like mine (but try it alongside a Cresselia with Icy Wind, it's pretty good) and 3) either Thundurus sucks or I suck at using Thundurus-I in doubles.

So I wanted to make a new team, where the only pokes I kept from the old team was Suicune and Breloom, since they were by far my favorite to use, and the ones that worked best on the old team. So therefore, here is Suicune and Breloom.

After that was done, I wanted a strong special attacker with good coverage. Yeah, that would be Genesect. Most Genesects in doubles are scarfed, but since I am running Tailwind, I doubt I would need the extra speed, so I tried out a Life Orb set. I thought it kind of ruined the amazing defensive typing it had, so instead i used Expert Belt, as it's SE coverage is so good.

By this time, I felt that another Tailwind setter would be a good idea, and since my first was special, I wanted to try out Salamence. It turned out to work ok.

By now I found that my only way of dealing with cresselia was to put it to sleep and constantly chip away at it's health. I also found that my team didn't hit that hard in general except for Genesect. So I then browsed for hard hitters, that had the optimal speed for tailwind (base 70 - 110 imo) and I found non other than Heracross. The standard VGC set is Guts + Status Orb, but since this is Smogon Doubles, where there are more pokemon to kill, I tried a Moxie set.

Three physical attackers, and two special attackers, I decided to add a special Nidoking - the Sheer Force + Life Orb set, since I tried it before, and it worked ok in Tailwind.

By now I faced 2 problems. 1) I was somehow weak to Dragonspam, especially if it was an opposing Tailwind team and 2) I didn't like the way Salamence worked, as it's STAB move only had mediocre base power, and wasn't super effective against anything. To solve the latter problem, I replaced Salamence with Zapdos as a Tailwind setter. To solve the second problem, I replaced Nidoking with Mamoswine for Dragons. Both these changes turned out to be the key to finetuning the team :3

And now, this is the stage that the team holds at the current moment, and it was this version that brought me to #2 on the ladder :]

~ In-Depth Analysis ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suicune @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Pressure
116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Suicune is the primary Tailwind setter of this team. With it's outstanding bulk, supported by the Wacan Berry weakening strong Electric attacks, It is almost guarenteed to get up a Tailwind, as the only other weakness it has is Grass type moves, which are much more scarce than Electric moves in doubles. When someone sees a Suicune, they usually underestimate it's capabilities of dishing out damage. Hydro Pump does a crapload to unprepared foes, and Ice Beam provides coverage for Dragon types, Grass types and some Flying types. I use this offensive Suicune, because with all the offense my team boasts, a "sitting duck" would just ruin all the momentum. To show the power of the Hydro Pump, here are a few calcs against common pokemon in doubles.

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hitmontop: 154-183 (50.65 - 60.19%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 222-264 (54.95 - 65.34%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ninetales in sun: 168-198 (58.53 - 68.98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 183-216 (50.27 - 59.34%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 199-235 (58.01 - 68.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 320-380 (102.89 - 122.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 366-432 (112.96 - 133.33%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 320-378 (98.76 - 116.66%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 214-252 (71.57 - 84.28%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 268-316 (102.29 - 120.61%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 164-194 (54.48 - 64.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These calcs show how underestimated Suicune's unboosted attacking prowess can be. Opponents often simply leave in their Heatran / Terrakion / Pokemon 4x weak to ice in and get taken out by this . Overall, the natural bulk level is high, the power of PumpBeam is respectable, and the synergy it has with many of the other pokemon make Suicune a fantastic tribute to this team. I would go as far as to calling it the main glue of this team.

~ Synergy ~

Wacan Berry does allow it to survive an electric hit though

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Next up we have Breloom. Breloom fills another huge role on this team. First of all, Spore is so good in doubles. If something can live any hit you have; meh, just Spore it. It is also very good at doing a lot of damage to a lot of huge threats. Bye bye Whimsicott + Terrakion :^D Anyways, yes, with the fighting gem, it gets to KO a number of huge threats like Terrakion, Hydreigon, all Normal types etc. Basically it does over 50 percent to everything that is weak to it, and to many that are neutral to it as well. Bullet Seed is there for a strong STAB move boosted by Technician, Breloom's fantastic DW ability that it uses so well.

Think about it this way = What is Breloom's only let down in singles (OU)? It's mediocre speed. In doubles, an elegant solution has arrived that is much better here than in singles. That solution is known as Tailwind. If you guys ever want to make a Tailwind team, make sure to at least consider Breloom as a part of it, because Breloom in Tailwind not only looks good in paper. It gets the job done.

The best counters to Breloom are Flying types or Lati@s. The only thing that can threaten Breloom if I have Suicune out by it's side though, is Tornadus. This is because I can usually Protect on Breloom whilst setting up Tailwind and next turn put the threat to sleep. The problem with Tornadus though, is that it also has Tailwind, and is naturally much faster than Breloom. I do have a Mamoswine, so it doesn't tend to become too much of a problem that often.

~ Synergy ~

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Expert Belt Genesect in Tailwind is an absolute monster. I must admit that I do recall stealing this set from some guy who made an RMT here on smogon. Forgive me, but man this Genesect is so good in Tailwind. The whole idea of using this Genesect is sacrificing Protect for coverage. Grass + Fire + Ice is amazing coverage, and if you play your switches right you can give ALL those moves a STAB boost effectively through Download. The way I like to play with this Genesect is, I only send him in when either 1) Tailwind is up or 2) it outpaces both opposing pokemon. This is because it does not carry protect, meaning that it has to outspeed the foe in order to not get hit for heavy damage. I usually U-Turn out if 1) Tailwind is petering out this turn or 2) It can KO an opposing pokemon (Like Latios) or 3) if the matchup is terrible.

A true problem to this Genesect is of course Fire moves, albeit it's only weakness, still is 4x weak. The biggest problems are Chandelure and Heatran, Since none of the moves can do much damage to them. The only reliable switch-in I have to Heat Wave users is Suicune, Though a few other members can take one or 2, depending on the power behind the hit.

~ Synergy ~

This pokemon has been changed. Before, it was a Heracross, and the analysis I had + Synergy it used to have is in this "Hide" box:

Heracross @ Bug Gem
Trait: Moxie
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Protect

SO. MUCH. POWER. This little bug hit's everything so hard with it's Megahorn. It is a STAB, Gem-boosted 120 base power move coming off of a 125 base attack pokemon maxed out. That is some powerful stuff. I can sit and brag about this thing's horn all day, but I shall leave that job to these calcs.

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 363-427 (94.53 - 111.19%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Cresselia: 488-576 (109.9 - 129.72%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 528-624 (130.69 - 154.45%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 298-352 (102.05 - 120.54%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 229-270 (62.91 - 74.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 626-738 (171.97 - 202.74%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Bug Gem Heracross Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 334-394 (110.59 - 130.46%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And yes, in Tailwind, everything on this list is outsped (except if someone is running Timid Kingdra, which is a shit idea to run)

As you can see, this thing hit's hard. But I haven't gotten to the best part yet. If something you can KO is in, you effectively get another Gem boost, this time for all of your moves and no longer one time use. That is the power of Moxie Heracross in Doubles Tailwind. The moves are pretty self explanatory. Megahorn for crazy power, Close Combat for Steel types and not missing, Rock slide for 1) Revenge killing both pokemon at once (which results in a double Moxie boost, usually meaning good game) and 2) Flying types. I usually won't use Rock Slide until one or two Moxie Boosts are up, since it's a pretty weak move unboosted.

~ Synergy ~

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

This Hydreigon now fills the spot that Heracross once filled. The suggestion came from Pocket to replace Heracross with this Hydreigon set, so i tested it a bit. It turned out to work excelently; a good deal better than Heracross.

First of all, it can take Heat Waves, which was a big problem for my team before. It also is immune to ground, so it works well alongside Mamoswine. But the best thing is, I now have something to hit Dusclops with. Gosh, how annoying that thing could be on a Trick Room team. I used to Spore it first turn and slowly chip away at it's health, but it usually woke up before I could KO it. This problem is now gone, as Hydreigon easily 2HKOs it, even if it has max HP, Max SDef. Overall, even though I miss sweeping entire teams with heracross in Tailwind, Hydreigon fits this team better.

The moveset should be pretty self explanatory. Dark Pulse is for spammable STAB, doing a shitton of damage to a lot of things since it's a STAB base 80 move coming from a max SpA+ pokemon with base 125 Special Attack with no drawbacks. Draco Meteor is there to kill everything, but unfortunately at the cost of half of Hydreigon's attacking power until it switches out. Earth Power is to hit Heatran / Metagross / T-Tar and Protect is there to shield itself from hits whilst a team member potentially sets up Tailwind.

~ Synergy ~

Zapdos @ Yache Berry
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Tailwind

Zapdos is my second Tailwind setter. It has been the Tailwind setter so far that has worked second best for me (after Suicune). On this team though, it works extremely well, as the whole idea of this team is "kill before you get killed". With it's awesome maxed out base 100 speed combined with it's good natural bulk, it can usually get up Tailwind succesfully. Other than that, it also shows an offensive part through Heat Wave for pesky Steel, Bug and Grass types and damaging both pokes at once, whilst T-Bolt provides a nice STAB option that hit's hard in general.

It holds the Yache Berry over Charti Berry because of the fact that many try to Ice Shard it, and Rock Slide, being a spread move, rarely KOs it. I have once tried Electric Gem, which was nice for dishing out harder damage, but surviving a hit is more important when it comes to a pokemon that sets up Tailwind. Zapdos could be considered the team's second glue.

~ Synergy ~

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Protect

Mamoswine's role on this team is to 1) Eliminate Dragon types, 2) OHKO Yache Berry pokes or Dragonite and 3) Provide powerful Earfquakes. This guy works incredibly well with Zapdos, as the moves they wield together hit a lot of the metagame for Super Effective damage. Also, Zapdos is immune to Earthquake, so Mamo can freely spam those.

This pokemon works so well in Tailwind for the same reason as Breloom; It has too little speed to be fully optimal outside Tailwind. Mamoswine may seem like an odd one out to some, since I already have so many Ice type attacks, but being able to OHKO dragonite and Yache Berry dragons is priceless, and with a powerful EQ to support it's Ice type attacks, it sure gets the job done :]

~ Synergy ~

~ Now that I have explained each team member, I shall help you learn what to lead with against what type of teams ~

~ Rain Teams ~
+

This is my best bet against Rain Teams, as both pokemon resist the STAB Water moves. I usually hope to set up Tailwind with Suicune while using Protect with Breloom. This is because Ice Beams are often directed at Breloom first turn to avoid getting put to sleep. From then, I start wrecking damage since Tailwind is now up ;)

This lead is also often my standard lead (lead that I pick if I have no idea what to pick)

~ Trick Room ~

+

You would think that this team struggles against Trick Room, since I am using Tailwind, which get's completely negated if the opponent uses Trick Room. The thing is though, that if I prevent Trick Room from being set, I can plow through the opposition without wasting a turn setting up Tailwind.

Good thing I have Hydreigon + Breloom. Usually what I will do is Spore the Trick Room user while taking a giant shit on the other pokemon with Hydreigon. If the player I am up against is using a Fake Out user + Dusclops, and uses Fake Out on Breloom, then he gets to set up Trick Room though :[

~ Standard Lead #2 ~

+

This is my other "Standard Lead" since they offensively synergize very well with each other. This is also the lead I like to use against Sun teams, since EQ + Heat wave and such. But yeah, same goal; Set up Tailwind so you can start destroying everything :]

~ Threat List ~

Heat Wave can be threatening, as I only have one resist, especially Chandelure and Heatran, since they both wall a good deal of my pokemon.

Metagross is somewhat of a threat to this team, since not many moves OHKO it, and it hits back really hard.

And thus ends this RMT. I hope you enjoyed, and I hope you will try out the team, and I also hope that you will come with suggestions to make it better. If you think it was a good read, make sure to leave a Luvdisc, and if you think that the team is shit, please do correct it :^D

~ That's All Folks ~

Suicune @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Giga Drain

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Zapdos @ Yache Berry
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Tailwind

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Protect

~ Clearly ~ this ~ RMT ~ needs ~ more ~ tildes ~~~

Great team Laga! I'm using a very similar team, but I've been using Bulky/Fast Latias as my primary setter and Suicune with Scald/Ice Beam/Snarl as my secondary. Might wanna give it a shot as it helps ease your heat wave problem. :)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congrats to your successful team, Laga! I really appreciate the offensive synergy I see here! The triple weakness compounded by your Fighting- and Bug- mons are still a big thorn to this team, imo. I think the quickest fix to this would be adding Hydreigon or Gengar over Heracross. This way you lose your Fire-type weakness while doing major damage to Cresselia and Tyranitar. These two can also keep up with Heracross's Trick Room busting core (Gengar particularly excels here, since it is immune to Fake Out). I prefer Hydreigon, since it gives you some very useful resistances to Fire- and Water-type moves (Electric, too), as well as an immunity to Psychic-type moves. Admittedly, they both perform worse in both roles, though, because their STAB moves cannot take down Amoonguss (a common TR partner) and Cresselia as readily as Heracross's Megahorn, but it may mitigate your major Fire weakness. With these two, you now have an additional partner to pair with your Mamoswine, as well.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb or Dark Gem | Levitate
252 SpA / 252 Spe | Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Dark Pulse hits TR users, Cresselia, and Chandelure; Focus Blast / Earth Power hits Tyranitar and Heatran. Which move you choose depends on whether you want to hit Tyranitar or Metagross harder. Draco Meteor is your best bet to hurt Dragon- and Water-types.

Gengar @ Ghost Gem or Life Orb | Levitate
252 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Focus Blast
- Disable / Thunder(bolt) / HP Fire

Protect + Disable is nice to prevent Cresselia from knocking out Gengar with Psyshock, etc, whereas Thunderbolt is nice to deal heavy damage to Water-types. HP Fire for Metagross / Scizor.

Again, congrats to your successful performance with this team - I hope my suggestions would spark some more ways to potentially enhance your team.

Due to your pokemon functioning under Tailwind, maybe you should reinvest some EVs into bulk instead? It may help your Chandelure issue more if you know that your counter will survive a hit and be able to OHKO. For example, I have a Tyranitar with Speed enough to just underspeed minimum speed Ninetales, but fast enough to outspeed Latios under Tailwind. It also lives a Gem CC from Hitmontop if top is at -1 (having Lando-T on the team helps immensely) as well as Gem Draco Meteor from Modest Latios in Sand, and Timid outside if sand.

This is a really great team :o

I've been using it (Lagalag4 told me to instead of helping me make one like I asked :<), and I got to 6-0 until I got haxed out of a match. One thing thing that I really like is how a lot of the Pokemon have actually don't really depend on Tailwind, unless your opponent has like, 5 scarfers.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this once, just to see if any other suggestions will be made before gen 6, and because I need a baseplate for C&C Contributions
– Laga's Analyses for Smogon
– 5th Generation
– Doubles:
|
|
|
(In progress)
– NeverUsed:
|

Last edited:
All I can think of going into Gen 6 is adding Togekiss to the team and maybe rethinking Heracross, as TR Cress really hurts this team :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)