Hyrule's Demise - Hyper Offense (Peaked @ 1850)

The rather long introduction​

Hey guys, my name is PapaBear, some of you may recognise me from the Pokémon Showdown server, or simply from posting here on the forums. I've been into competitive battling for a long time, I started out in RBY, where myself and about 20 other kids on my street used to get together and battle. I've played every Pokémon game released, and like to consider myself a bit of an expert (I'm not vain, I swear!). As with most of us here on the forums, I played for ages on Pokémon Online, but due to differences with moderators I quit playing there and altogether stopped playing online until I heard about Pokémon Showdown.

That's enough about myself, onto the team and it's humble beginnings. Firstly, the title of the thread and the nicknames of my team members are all based on my favourite villains from the Zelda series, the one and only game series that I can honestly say I love more than Pokémon. This team actually started out as a basic Balanced Offense team that was centered around getting hazards up with Deoxys-D then forcing switches through a combination of VoltTurn and defensive synergy. I quickly found myself changing members around to further improve the team, and before I knew it I had just one wall and 5 heavily offensive members. Thus, the first incarnation of my Hyper Offense team was created.

The team

Majora (Deoxys-Defense) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psycho Boost

Okay. This guy is the glue to my team, he holds it together, he is what makes this team work, without him this team would be nothing. He is there for three reasons; set up the hazards, removal of Spinners who think they are safe, and then to be used as death fodder to regain momentum. This is the standard Hyper Offense variant, running Timid and enough Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Haxorus and slower Poké's, along with max Special Attack EVs to maximise the damage it does to Spinners. Fire Gem is there to push his HP Fire into OHKO range on many Pokémon. He safely 2HKOs Tentacruel, Forretress, Donphan, three of the common spinners. He also OHKOs Breloom, Conkeldurr, Gengar, Infernape, Keldeo, and 2HKOs Skarmory and Ferrothorn. This is only a small list of what he can, pardon my French, fuck up. Nobody ever expects it to be throwing out such offensive moves, and most Pokémon switch in expecting a free chance to set up, only to find themselves KOd.

Agahnim (Alakazam) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is my Alakazam, fairly standard stuff really, nothing too shocking to shout about. He's there for revenge killing, basically, and is fucking good at it too. He outspeeds a couple of key threats to my team, and systematically breaks them down with his awesome coverage and blistering Speed and Special Attack stats. EVs and nature are self explanatory; max Speed and power to help him do his job. Originally I ran Life Orb and although the additional power is nice, I really like the Focus Sash as it essentially gives him two lives. I run Psyshock over Psychic on almost every Pokémon, as it makes them a lot harder to wall. Focus Miss + Shadow Ball offer totally unresisted coverage. The Hidden Power choice is less common but makes a lot more sense than Ice; I have enough Ice attacks on the team already. HP Fire allows it to nail those pesky Steel types that aren't weak to Focus Miss, such as Genesect and Scizor.

Armogohma (Genesect) @ Choice Band
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Quick Attack
- Flamethrower

Choice Band Genesect, the most underused of Genesects sets, but also my favourite. With a Choice Band and max Attack investment, his U-Turns are scary powerful. Add into the mix a potential +1 Attack through Download, and his Attack stat is astronomical, and only the hardiest of Pokémon are capable of surviving his attacks. U-Turn and Iron Head are there for the obligatory STAB attacks, however in most matches I find myself spamming U-Turn to maintain momentum. Quick Attack for extinguishing those annoying Scarfers that are stuck on 1% and threaten to sweep. Flamethrower is the only move that I'm not entirely sure about. It's nice coverage, but I almost never use it, as U-Turn is just so useful. I was thinking of replacing it with either Explosion or Zen Headbutt, but for the moment I'm happy with Flamethrower.

Kotake (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Alright, the second member of my VoltTurn core, and easily the MVP of this team. Nobody ever expects a Scarf on Thundurus-T, and they very often switch in their frail sweeper expecting an easy kill, only to find themselves outsped and losing a sizeable chunk of their HP, if not being outright OHKOd. Self explanatory EVs & nature again; Timid + max Speed EVs ensures it outspeeds 100 Base speed Scarfers & Speed boosters. It outspeeds Cloyster at +2, Dragonite & Salamence at +1, and Gyarados at +1. Thunderbolt is the obligatory STAB move here, and is usually the move I use for end-game clean up, nine times out of ten. Volt Switch is my early/mid-game move, used for scouting, which has a decent base power, which hurts coming off his 389 Special Attack. Hidden Power Ice for nailing those pesky Dragons, and also completes the BoltBeam combo. Grass Knot in the final slot for smashing the inevitable Ground-type switch ins. I cannot count the number of times this Pokémon has saved my ass, and is definitely my favourite member of the team.

Koume (Landorus) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

The third and final member of the VoltTurn core and one of my favourite Pokémon in general. Expert Belt is there for bluffing a Choice set and my god do people fall for it often enough. Earthquake and Stone Edge, known collectively as EdgeQuake, offer beautiful coverage and do some serious damage coming off his 125 base Attack, and are boosted even more whilst under Sandstorm thanks to it's ability. Hidden Power Ice is there to nail those Gliscor who would otherwise wall this set, as well as hitting Breloom, Dragons and opposing Landorus hard. U-Turn is obvious, it's the perfect move to help bait a Choice Scarf, and completes the VoltTurn combo. Max Speed is necessary to make use of Landorus' troll base speed, and allows it to outpace common threats such as Volcarona, Jirachi and Salamence.

Goht (Keldeo-Resolution) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Choice Specs Keldeo is best described by one word; DISGUSTING! This set is entirely focused on wallbreaking. There is only ONE!! wall that is commonly used in OU that isn't OHKOd by this thing, and that's Tentacruel (outside of Sturdy tanks, ofc). Let me say that again; this thing is capable of OHKOing every single wall in the metagame bar Tentacruel. If there's a bizarre set that is not commonly used, the chances are this set is going to 2HKO it. Hydro Pump absolutely tears shit up, and that's outside of rain. If facing a rain team, then the damage this thing does is astronomical. Secret Sword is there for breaking those few Pokémon who can actually survive a Hydro Pump. Icy Wind is useful coverage, allowing me to nail Dragons and Grass types. The -1 Speed is also a useful little thing to have, and lets me beat those speedsters who would otherwise threaten it. Hidden Power Ghost is there for Celebi & Jellicent, who otherwise wall this set.

General battle plan
This section is going to be painfully short; but the premise behind this team is beautifully simple. I usually lead with Thundurus-T or Genesect, depending on the enemy team composition, and Volt Switch or U-Turn out into my Deoxys-D. I then proceed to set up Stealth Rocks followed by Spikes. Once I've got the hazards up, I switch into whatever counters the current enemy Pokémon, and proceed to smash through their team with whatever I have. That's it.

Closing thoughts
This is my most successful team to date, and as of writing I'm ranked 50 on the Smogon server; the highest rank I've ever achieved. In terms of how I think I can improve this team, there is only one thing I'd like to change, and that's bringing in a Ghost type to Spin Block. Gengar is the obvious candidate here, but I'm struggling to decide which member to replace. Alakazam is the most obvious choice, but I really like the coverage it offers, and Gengar isn't quite fast enough to fill the void of Alakazam.

If you would like to use this team you are more than welcome, but I do ask that you PM me beforehand or approach me on the PO Smogon server first and ask permission.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey PapaBearAds, nice team! I felt compelled make this rate considering Zelda is one of the best Video gaming series of all time.

First of all, although you said you preffered Hidden Power [Fire] on Alakazam over Hidden Power [Ice], I personally think Hidden Power [Ice] would benefit you more. This is because one of the greatest traits of the Deoxys set you're running is that it baits in Scizor, a very, very common lead against Deoxys-D and OHKOs it. Meaning Hidden Power [Fire] is only really there for Genesect which will rarely switch in on Alakazam and you will rarely switch in on Genessect, meaning you'll often only be face to face if they send Genesect in to revenge kill Alakazam and it's most likely they'll U-Turn out before getting a chance to hit it with Hidden Power [Fire]. Also, your current Deoxys-D dosen't have Taunt, meaning things like Dragonite can come in, get up a free Dragon Dance and then can sweep you if your opponent plays well, after 1 DD Dragonite outspeeds and OHKOs your entire team with the correct move except for Thundurus-T, who is OHKOd by Extremespeed after switching into SR twice. Even if you're at 100% you can't OHKO with Hidden Power [Ice] through Multiscale, so you could go to Alakazam on the DD and break their Multiscale with Psyshock, but psyshock isn't a 2HKO meaning Dragonite can get up another DD take Alakazam down to sash and then kill it off and proceed to sweep your entire team, unless Genesect isn't in OHKO range from +2 Extremespeed. This is somewhat circumstantial considering they'll probably assume you have taunt on Deoxys-D in the first place unless you reveal the Fire Gem and you can beat dragonite by baiting the Outrage with Landorus, U-Turn and break Multiscale with Genesect and then kill off with Thundurus-T, but this is a very shaky way of handling with Dragonite and with a bit of team support Dragonite can beat you up. Hidden Power [Ice] means you can 2HKO Dragonite, guarenteeing you wont be swept by it. One last problem with your Alakazam set without Hidden Power [Ice] or Psychic you're walled by Gliscor, lol. Overall: Hidden Power [Ice] on Alakazam is a nice emergency option against Dragons and would benefit your team alot more than Hidden Power [Fire] would, considering it's only purpose is non scarfed Genesects, Scizors that don't lead against Deoxys-D, and hitting things like Forretress more accurately and OHKOing once Sturdy is gone. Neither non scarfed Genesect or Forretress are likely to stay in against Alakazam and overall these rare situations don't really warrant a moveslot.

With the addition of an extra Ice type move, Surf over Icy Wind is an option on Keldeo. This will really help if you only need the power of Surf to KO something and you don't want to risk the entire outcome of the game on whether an 80% accuracy move hits or not, this also helps late game if you're open for a keldeo sweep but you miss Hydro Pump and die. You miss out on the speed lowering of Icy Wind but your team is obviously very fast paced and I doubt you'll miss Icy Wind too much.

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculously long paragraph about Dragonite and Hidden Power [Ice], I hope this rate helped and GL with the team! Luvdisc'd :)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
On Keldeo, why not run Hidden Power Electric over HP Ghost? HP Electric offers slightly better coverage if you're also running Icy Wind. The only things you really miss out on are Alakazam and Reuniclus in OU, and Hydro Pump hits them harder anyway (Well, there's Shedinja, but who the hell uses it anyway?).

Hi. Cool team you have here. A spinblocker is usally a staple on Hyper Offensive teams that have Deoxys-D. I suggest using a Offensive Gengar over your current Alakazam. Gengar not only plays to your team's nature, but allows you to keep your hazards from being spun away. It would be a pain to get your hazards removed if your Deoxys-D is dead. Gengar benefits fantastically from the hazards. With the combination of Substitute + Disable, Gengar is able to force a lot of switches, racking up entry hazard damage. Gengar still keeps your team speedy while hitting pretty hard coming off a base 130 Special Attack stat. Overall, Gengar's qualities make it a good addition to your team.

Hope I helped and here is the set.

Gengar @ Leftovers | Levitate
Timid Nature | 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Substitute | Disable | Shadow Ball | Focus Blast

No time for a full rate, I just wanted to point out you seem to be underestimating the defensive capacity of OU's walls lol - there are common things other than Tentacruel which can avoid an OHKO from Specs Keldeo lol. Think Amoonguss, Jellicent, Gyarados, Latias, Celebi and most other bulky Waters / Grasses.

Just off the top of my head, I'd be pretty worried about things like SubDD Gyarados, Volcarona or Extremespeed DDNite, since neither can be easily revenged by Thundurus and use the rest of your team as setup fodder. Rain teams in general look like they should beat you comfortably, with only one (fairly frail) Water resist in Keldeo which loses to nearly all the common Rain sweepers. Tornadus, Starmie, Azumarill, Keldeo etc etc all look like they would break your team.

In terms of defensive threats, most Grass types look to give you trouble. Amoonguss in particular can wall half your team, not care too much about Genesect, and just switch out against your two Psychics while recovering any lost health.

To fix those issues, I'd just run a standard stallbreaker Jellicent in place of Alakazam. Alaka really doesn't give your team much anyway, being fairly redundant with Deoxys; Jelli is much better defensively and blocks Rapid Spin.
Now, you need a way to hit Grass types, and a Volcarona counter. Heatran > Genesect is obvious, but there are quite a few other options such as Terrakion over Landorus (also giving you that lovely dual Fighting synergy) .

Hope this helps :)

Of all the proposed changes thus far I'm going to give Gengar a test run. So, thanks Shining Latios you convinced me! That's not to say I don't appreciate the rest of you guys' suggestions, it's just that I feel Gengar is the best change I can make to this team, and if I were to use the other suggestions I'd lose some of the synergy of my team. :)

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Very nice team you got here. The only thing I would have done is to give Landorus Smack Down over Stone Edge, so it can remove the Levitate from pokemons like Gengar and Skarmory that love to switch into predicted EQ. And then just smack them with EQ after the Smack Down, you really dont need Stone Edge when you already have HP [Ice] for Dragons and Gliscor.

Nice team, and kudos for using Band Genesect.

However, strange as it sounds, Iron Head is for th most part outclassed by Zen Headbutt on Genesect. The only Pokemon Iron Head is useful for is Kyurem, who is rare and can just be U-Turned on. Zen Headbutt on the other hand mauls Pokemon that think they can switch into U-Turn. Examples of Pokemon that you can OHKO (with your entry hazards or with a possible Attack boost) are Keldeo, Infernape, Machamp, Conkeldurr, Volcarona, Thundurus-T, Terrakion (admittedly Iron Head also hits this), etc. Basically all Fighting-types that think they can tank a U-Turn due to their resistance. The ones that aren't Fighting-types are weak to Stealth Rock and fall to a +1 Zen Headbutt despite not resisting the move. So yeah, I'd recommend you use it over Iron Head.

Good luck with the team!

@BROStime: I did test out Smack Down extensively in the first iteration of this team, but I found that most of the Flying/Levitating types that are brought in on Landorus are covered sufficiently by my other Pokémon, so if I predict one of those switches then I usually U-Turn into the appropriate counter. Thanks nonetheless.

@Cherub Agent: That sounds like a brilliant change, one I'm definitely going to try out, thankyou. I was thinking of changing it out for Flamethrower however, as although battering Ferrothorn switch ins (Who only take 60-75% from it, which leaves me locked into a weak unSTAB'd move) is nice, Zen Headbutt would offer nicer physical coverage. This also means I can stick the SpA EVs into HP or SpD, a slight improvement to an already acceptable bulk. I'm torn, though...

Flmaethrower should probably always be used to toast Skarmory, Forretress and Ferrothorn. I didn't see that you were using Quick Attack, I'd definetly replace Flamethrower for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)