XY NU I don't know why but this team works

Hey there people, I'm submitting my third RMT and this time it is an NU team. RU kinda bored me with all the SW offense going, and in general after doing something for so long you gotta mix up a little bit and change. So I started NU which is known for the great variety of viable pokemon and I came and after changing a ton of teams (which included a 4/6 shell smahers HO team lol) and not going much far, after using this team something surprisingly started to work.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite

The initial strategy was a Volt Turning so I needed a good U turner. Originally I had Choice Band Infiltrator Ninjask. It was nice and worked around a bit, but the damage output (due to the shallow movepool, not the stats) was kinda disappointing, especcially when I used Aerial Ace, which off of 60 BP doesn't hurt that much despite STAB. So Scyther was my second Thought. Bulkier, more Powerful with better moves but, alas, slower. Not that 105 is slow anyway. Aerial Ace, thanks to Technician, is a powerful drawback free Flying move, something that few can be proud of. Bug Bite is really good off of STAB but I'm thinking of replacing it. U turn is great for the momentum and of course It is needed for the Volt Switch, and Knock Off...well You can Just Spam It no matter what.

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Physically defensive Audino is just great. Only STAB High Powered move can OHKO, while poison stalling Kangashkan and Malamar is Priceless. Wish and Heal Bell make Audino this Team's main cleric, the first also beeing part of the crucial poison Stall strategy, which is the only way Audino can be offensive. Also passing wishes with Audino is easy thanks to Regenerator not making you mind the damage you take. It is sometimes my winning condition lol. However Steel/Poison Types are just GTFO ticket and resters/heal bellers are nothing less.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
My special wall and part of the Volt Turn core with the slow pivoting bonus. Scald Is self explanatory on Water Type Specially defensive pokemon, and Volt Switch as well s for the above mentioned. Twave is great to cripple set Up sweepers like No Lum Berry Gatr wanting to set up or even Belly Drum Slurpuff. I have Heal Bell On Lanturn too because I don't find an option worth the fourth slot, and Having a second cleric (as well as self clericing) is pretty nice.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
Gurdurr is a great Phisical Tank, no need to say that. Drain Punch plus Bulk Up with the eviolite Bulk largely extend his survivabilty, Knock Off makes up for Good Coverage (bar Fairies, which are luckily a few in NU, and Gurdurr doesn't stay on those anyway). Mach Punch rounds the movepool with Stab Priority.

Frogadier @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
Seriously, this Pokemon is underestimated. Not saying that it should be considered better than other pokemon or should be higher on the Viability ranking; I mean, people see this and stay in not switching to a resisting counter, or don't know what this does at all, and even after they know they stay in. OHKO on Feraligatr (yeah go crying somewhere else) Seismitoad, Golurk, Vileplume with little damage (and possible OHKO from full health) neat 2HKO on Dragalge, plus finishing off a metric ton of threats with the trolly speed tier (97). The coverage is great, and the power is there. The only problem is the bulk, which is thick as wet toilet paper.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
One thing I hate of NU is the poor choice of defoggers, but I guess you gotta deal with that. Having a 4x rock weak pokemon makes Spin/defog support pretty much mandatory, so I went for the offensive Defog. Whit his ability to force switches Shiftry can Defog easily, and on the offensive, he's just as good. Sucker Punch is ridiculously strong as a priority move, Knock Off deals tons and bla bla bla, Leaf Storm is for going Mixed and deals a good amount to Pokemon weak on their special side.

So that's it. Express your thoughts and make some suggestions since I'm willing to test. The team actually peeked 1480s on the ladder, just for the info.

This is an interesting team, but your extreme flying, fairy, and fighting weaknesses mean that your team is unable to perform successfully in the face of opposing Scythers [Bulky SD Shits on you], as well as Acrobatics Archeops and Swellow, as your only resist in Lanturn is uncomfortable in switching into their coverage moves anyways. On the other hand, fighting types such as Sawk or opposing Gurdurr immediatly 6-0 you as long as Scyther is gone, which is easy considering you are running the rare Choice Banded set with no recovery, meaning you are easily worn down, and a well predicted Ice Punch from either one of these pokemon will seal the game. Fairy types such as Slurpuff are also complete counters to your team, with no resists and few ways to beat them, Slurpuff sets up on Frogadier, Gurdurr, -1 Shiftry, and if it has sub Audino. That is insane, considering once set up you are completely OHKO'd and outsped. Overall, the team appears ok on paper, but lack of any defensive or offensive synergy means it loses to common pokemon in the metagame. Also based on your team's structure, I feel it is more bulky offensive than anything, and you thus want to take advantage as much as possible of balanced synergy, rather than having things such as Frogadier throwing off your game plan by being easily worn down.

I would consider running Substitute Shift Gear Klinklang over Frogadier. Not only is it a much better fit on your team packing great offensive and defensive presence, but it checks the Flying and Fairy types that give you issues. It checks stuff like Swellow to no end, and with the EVs I will give you below comfortably tanks Slurpuff's +6 Play Rough for 60-80%, while it still outspeeds base 95 scarfers [Primeape, Jynx] at one shift gear. Overall, it has much better synergy with the rest of your team, and checks many of your team's largest threats, especially with the Wish support of your own Audino!

The next thing I would do is to use Support Uxie over Shiftry. You may be thinking that I am insane for removing your defogger, but frankly I feel that a Roost variant of Scyther is better for your team anyways, and with that I feel that defog is often uneeded. Scyther can often handle teams even at 50%, and its sheer bulk often lets it get back up with a simple roost. Instead, I would consider running Uxie, as it can offer endless utility to actually help Scyther. With great bulk and some effective utility moves, Uxie can set up stealth rocks for Scyther, as well as check fighting types for the rest of your team. On top of this, Uxie offers Thunder Wave support throughout the entire match, and has a U-Turn to safely bring in your pokemon against the opponent.

Minor Changes:
Scyther: I feel that Bulky SD better fits your team, as it pairs much better with your Audino and Lanturn and such, being able to come in again and again to check threats such as Sawk. It also has Access to roost, which better helps with the modification of the removal of Shiftry. Aerial Ace | Knock Off | Swords Dance | Roost , 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Audino: Lack of any attack means you are utter setup bait for just about everything from SubCM Uxie to Taunt NP Mismagius, and there isn't anything you can do about it. Knock Off > Toxic mildly helps to nullify this, as you can at least wear them down or cripple them prior to your switching out, rather than allowing the opponent to sweep.
Lanturn: There is no reason to run Heal Bell twice on a team, so Ice Beam > Heal Bell is the favored option to cripple Grass type switch ins such as Vileplume.

I know that the removal of Defog seems weird, but frankly Offensive Shiftry did little for your team outside of Defog, and is in all honestly somewhat deadweight. I hope this helps!
_______

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Return
- Substitute

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn / Knock Off

I figured out the the whole team building was really random, I'll try playing with the changes you suggested. All the threats you listed are in fact my main problems so I'll go and see if the new team fita my playstyle. I'm fine with bulky Scyther but I'd like to have toxic on Audino so But I'll try that too. Also giving up on Frogadier will be bad given i don't have a steong special attacker, mening steelix will shit on me, but I guess I can play around that, no team is perfect. I'll post the results.

It didn't really go well xD the playstyle was not really my thing, also I found i'd like the speed for Klinklang over the bulk, and the bulk over the speed on Uxie. Bulky scyther could pull off a sword dance but two moves is too tiny of a coverage even if you run fighting flying or dark flying which are almost unresisted, plus there's too much priority and knock off spam. I made a new team and I'm having fun with it; if it goes up I'll have it rated. Thanks for the advices anyway tho, much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)