I hate coming up with team names

Hello fellow Smogon creepers, this is my first Rmt. I have been reading smogon posts for a while, and I figured it's time to make an account and post for myself. I have been playing competitive Pokemon for...hm...8 months I think? I haven't peaked very high on the ladder at all or anything like that, and I think it's finally time to get help from the experts. This is probably the best team I have made, It's not great, I don't think it's terrible though.

Without further ado, the team:
(One quick note, I don't have a designated "lead", it changes depending on what pokemon I see on the other team.)

Gengar (F) @ Life orb
Trait: Levitate
Evs: 4 hp, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
Timid nature (+ Spd, - Atk)
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Substitue
-Pain Split

All I can say about him is W.O.W. I can't even count how many times he has saved me from a situation that I thought I would've been finished in. He seems to be a huge threat to a lot of people, and I have taken advantage of it. Sure, Disable is a cool move, but I don't think it can take as many Pokemon this set takes out every match. Nothing to change about him. Easily My MVP.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
Evs: 252 Hp, 40 Atk, 216 Spd
Adamant Nature ( + Atk, - SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
Eh, one of my counters to a Latios locked into Draco Meteor, and weakened Dragonites that I can pick off with Bullet Punch. I just took the Evs off of Smogon, they are working well so far. Not much to say about him, he's a very strong physical threat while stop choiced dragons such as Latios locked into a dragon move, but I also use him against certain Celebi's/Tyranitar. Perhaps a specially defensive choice band set would work? Suggestions about that please.

Celebi (N) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Evs: 216 Hp, 252 SAtk, 40 Spd
Modest Nature ( + SAtk, - Atk)
-Giga Drain
-Earth Power
-Recover
-Thunder Wave
Once again, not much thought into the Ev's, I just took one of the sets from Smogon and changed Nasty Plot for Thunder Wave. My main switch in to so many pokemon, ranging from Politoed and Rotom-W too Latios trying to surf my Heatran, heck, sometimes I even switch Celebi into Heatran to get an earth power off. (No not when hes launching a fire attack, I'm smart about switching him in.) Great water counter and paralysis spreader, and status absorber. Perhaps a more specially defensive set could be used though?

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Ev's: 252 Hp, 4 SAtk, 252 SDef
Calm Nature ( + SDef, - Atk)
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
My favorite anti-meta pokemon right now, Heatran and Celebi are so good at stopping different weather abusers. Most offensive Heatrans haven't been able to ko him with Earth Power, while I have been able to ko back, which has been my main reason to run it. (Heatran has to be at near full hp, but still. If somebody could give me a calc if I'm wrong, that would be great, because perhaps they were just less defensive Trans.) Rarely does it not get Stealth Rock up, which I NEED with the abundance of Dragonites running around. Flamethrower of Lava Plume just for the extra power, if anybody recommends Lava Plume, just say why.

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
Ev's: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SAtk
Bold Nature ( + Def, - Atk)
-Scald
-Psychic
-Flamethrower
-Slack Off
My favorite defensive wall. Screw Skarmory/Gliscor/Whatever else there is, this guy is such a champ. If I can predict the switch, generally 2hkoes Ferrothorn. My main switch into Terrakion, Scizor, some Tyranitar, (If I have seen it's choice band I don't switch it in.). Such a great wall, scald is great at getting burns on switch ins, I have to be careful about Gastrodon/Jellicent. Celebi does a great job at countering them though. I have been contemplating switching something for Toxic, no idea what though...any ideas? Everything has its perks, making it so hard to pick a move to take off.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
Ev's: 116 Atk, 216 SAtk, 176 Spd
Naive Nature ( + Spd, - SDef)
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break
-Roost
My main sweeper, oh how I love Mixmence. His Draco Meteor destroys so many Pokemon, it's unreal. Nothing better then having a Ferrothorn or Skarmory come in just to take a Fire Blast to the face. As great as he is destroying the would-be threats if he was physical, he also has some defensive value to him. I switch him into weaker water type attacks, or some physical attacks because he has Roost and Intimidate for the physical attackers. Not sure what to switch about him, if there is a better EV spread, feel free to tell me though.

I guess my team would be considered bulky offense, I like it because every pokemon has some defensive value to it. For example, Gengar is generally my switch into Landorus that is choice scarfed into Earthquaking my Heatran, or for stopping Rapid Spinners. My main problems have been with Tornadus and DD Dragonite, so suggestions on how to stop those would be wonderful.

I hope I didn't bore you with my first Rmt, any suggestions on anything I did wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, looks like a fairly solid team you have there. In regards to Heatran using Lava Plume over flamethrower, for 15 less BP you get an extra 20% chance to burn. On a specially defensive Heatran this can be particularly useful as by burning a physical attacker on a switch in or something similar you will have a better walling capability.
And just in general, that Heatran set isn't designed to be an attacker so losing some power for better chance at status seems worth it.

Hey, looks like a fairly solid team you have there. In regards to Heatran using Lava Plume over flamethrower, for 15 less BP you get an extra 20% chance to burn. On a specially defensive Heatran this can be particularly useful as by burning a physical attacker on a switch in or something similar you will have a better walling capability.
And just in general, that Heatran set isn't designed to be an attacker so losing some power for better chance at status seems worth it.
Alright, good reasoning. Going to try that out, thanks!

Alright, good reasoning. Going to try that out, thanks!
No worries, also just read that little bit about toxic on Bro. The move that will probably be doing the least is psychic. So if you really wanted to put toxic on there thats what I'd recommend removing.
Although personally I would recommend running Thunder Wave over toxic as slowing some things down could a huge help to your team. I do realise you already have it on Celebi, but that Celebi could be taken out a lot more easily than Slowbro.
And as you mentioned you have a problem with DD Dragonite, a Thunder wave on that could be quite nice, especially if its not running a Lum berry.

No worries, also just read that little bit about toxic on Bro. The move that will probably be doing the least is psychic. So if you really wanted to put toxic on there thats what I'd recommend removing.
Although personally I would recommend running Thunder Wave over toxic as slowing some things down could a huge help to your team. I do realise you already have it on Celebi, but that Celebi could be taken out a lot more easily than Slowbro.
And as you mentioned you have a problem with DD Dragonite, a Thunder wave on that could be quite nice, especially if its not running a Lum berry.
I will try it out, Psychic is my main move for Conkeldurr, but with all of the bulky water types that switch in I will try that. And yes, as long as I can get the Thunder Wave on the Dragonite it should be good. Thanks for all the help!

Bump, I have been having troubles with Haxorus, any suggestions?
What sort of Haxorus, choice'd ones or Lum berry/DD?
The best bet would be to try and predict when Hax is going to come in, and if possible T-wave it right away. To counter ones using a Lum maybe change Heatran to an air balloon and then try maybe giving it WoW.

Doing something like that may help?

What sort of Haxorus, choice'd ones or Lum berry/DD?
The best bet would be to try and predict when Hax is going to come in, and if possible T-wave it right away. To counter ones using a Lum maybe change Heatran to an air balloon and then try maybe giving it WoW.

Doing something like that may help?
I'm going to try that, and it's just any type of Haxorus really. Choice banded isn't too hard to beat, but when they run Earthquake it is a problem. I will try that though, thanks.

yeah, I've been using it in my sand team and can shut Hax in one HP. Only be sure to predict well as one DD will rape your Tran inmediately

Nice team, not perfect, but nice. One major weakness you have is any Gengar set. Disable sets beat your Scizor, with a sub, SubSplit sets have coverage on your entire team, and SubLO or just standard LO hits your entire team hard. The only saving grace you have is a speed tie with your own Gengar (not the safest option) or Scizor's extremely weak Bullet Punch.

Since you probably don't want to change your team up too much, you can try a Choice Band Scizor or Scarf Scizor. Both have their own advantages.

CB Scizor can scout, which you have none of in your current team. He can also OHKO any Gengar after rocks, and can Pursuit any fleeing Gengar. He's also your revenge killer against those DDing dragons most notably Haxorus, which you mentioned.

Scarf Scizor never loses to Gengar whom is your biggest weakness. Its simple, after coming in on their sub, just Pursuit spam. Thanks to the scarf, you are faster, and puts Gengar into a checkmate position.

The sets are:
Scizor @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit / Quick Attack

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Technician
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit / Quick Attack

One last thing. Since you have no hazards except Stealth Rock, I suggest Protect over Roar on Heatran. Roar serves almost no purpose and Protect has much better benefits in the long run.

Nice team, good luck!

Tran sets up stealth rock, counters sun teams, roars away certain threats.

I will try a specially defensive Celebi, but I am also trying out Latias to good results.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

Dragon Dance Scrafty is nearly impossible for your team to handle once it gets a boost. Sets with Moxie will be the most dangerous, since they can grab boosts by KOing your team members. It can use Dragon Dance on either -2 Salamence (after it used Draco Meteor) or on Slowbro, assuming you don't get a Scald burn (which is a somewhat high 70% chance of not burning it). Furthermore, Volcarona with Hidden Power Ground can be quite a big problem for you, as if Salamence take Stealth Rock damage+just a little prior damage, Fire Blast will OHKO it. Fire Blast isn't that common on Volcarona, but it exists, so you can lose pretty quickly to it. I think that Choice Scarf Terrakion can be a great addition to your team, since it handles both threats pretty well. It can even grab an attack boost on Scrafty if you get on Crunch, which will be pretty easy since your team is full of Psychic typed pokemon. It's also able to destroy Volcarona by outspeeding it can OHKOing it with Stone Edge. I think that you should swap Gengar for it, as it looks like the most redundant pokemon on your team in terms of checks/counters. Anyway, here's the set.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake (it's useful to revenge Toxicroak, if you find the coverage to be redundant you should use Quick Attack)

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)