I Need Help!!Get my Rankings Up!!

Overview:

So i posted this team about 4 days back, and i made some adjustments, and i still need help, and some good insight, thx guys. This team has a problem with a lot of common threats, and its needs to be more up to date with Platinum, after testing, my rankings dropped like a rock, so I need help.

Yanmega@Focus Sash
Nature: Modest
Ability: Speed Boost
Moves:
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Hp Ground
Protect
Evs: 252 sp atk/152 spe/104 Hp

This is standard lead-mega. With Protect it can gan a speed boost on something faster than it, and can also scout CB moves. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are 2 good STAB moves with a lot of coverage, and Air Slash can get timely flinches. Hypnosis can help put things to sleep such as steels which wall this set, HP fire helps with this, and is mainly for scizor as its a menace for this team, and HP ground hits steels too like heatran which gladly takes HP fire, but doesnt hit scizor as hard. It needs the sp atk ev's, and the speed ev's are still needed despite its ability due to its average speed otherwise. Its my best hope against scizor as it can take 3 no LO bullet punch from scizor, and OHKO with HP fire, for 2HKO with Air Slash. I changed to a bulkier EV Spread, and decided to go with HP ground, and Protect, with a focus sash.

Swampert@Leftovers
Nature:Impish
Ability: Torrent
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Beam/Avalanche
Roar
Ev's:240 HP/212 Def/ 52 SpA

This is much better than Donphan, as his best trait is Rapid Spin. Swampert can do a lot of the same things, and cover my weaknesses better. Stealth Rock is a must for any real team, and EQ is for STAB, while Ice Beam hits Gliscor and Salamence, but Avalanche is physical which ia its better attacking stats. Roar shuffles their team around for added SR damage, and for scouting. Im not sure about the Ev's depends on whether i go with Ice Beam or Avalanche.

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Nature: Calm
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Moves:
Rapid Spin
Surf
Toxic Spikes
HP Electric
Ev's: 204 HP / 96 SpA / 172 SpD / 36 Spe
My real spinner, to blow away the SR so my Yanmega and Gyarados dont get destroyed, and to absorb Toxic Spikes. Surf is a standard STAB move. Toxic Spikes is amazing, and is great for support. Ice Beam hits mainly dragons, but Sludge Bomb gets STAB, and can hit waters, but doesnt get great type coverage, HP electric is there for Gyarados. Works well with Donphan as they resists moves, tht would hurt eachother, and with roar donphan can spread toxic(hopefully) around. The 204 HP, and 172 Sp Def are for its special walling capabilities, 96 SpA is good for its STAB moves, and 36 Spe allows it to outspeed nuetral base 100's with no speed EV investment.

Gengar@Choice Specs
Nature:Timid
Ability: Levitate
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt
Trick/Hp Ice
252 Spe/ 252 SpA/6 Hp
Choice Specs Boosts its SpA to enormous proportions, allowing it to 2HKO any +SpD 100 base 252 SpD Ev pokemon after stealth rock with leftovers factored in with a nuetral move. Shadow Ball is there for STAB, Focus Blast hits any normal type coming in expecting Focus Blast, and 2HKO's even SNorlax, and OHKO's T-tar. Thunderbolt hits water and flyer, like gyarados really hard. HP Ice is for the omnipresent Salamence, and Explosion puts a dent in Blissey. It needs the Speed and SpA, and needs a Timid nature since its already getting a huge boost from Choice Specs. I decided to cover my dragon/bulky ground weakness, by using HP Ice over Explosion, and Using a Timid Nature, and staying with Choice Specs.

Gyarados@Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 Def
My favorite pokemon, anyway with Dragon Dance it becomes a real threat, outspeeding almost everything outside of 130 base speed, and getting a huge attack boost. Waterfall is more reliable than Aqua Tail, and has a flinch chance, but Aqua Tail does have more power. Earthquake hits mostly every electric type save Zapados. Stone Edge hits Zapados and always KO's after a Dragon Dance, but without a DD fails to OHKO Salamence after an Intimidate, Ice Fang hits fliers hard as well, and kills no yache salamence no question asked. It needs the Spe to outspeed base 125 barring Choice Scarf. I decided to go with Waterfall over Aqua Tail, and Stone Edge over Ice Fang.

Electivire@Life Orb
Nature: Mild
Ability: Motor Drive
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
HP Ice
Cross Chop
252 SpA/76 Atk/180 Spe

I made it a Special Based E-vire, i think it its pretty well.

Thats the team im planning, im very open to suggestions, all changes will be in Bold, and finalized. Thanks for your help. Everything in Bold has been changed and is finalized. This team is for D/P wi-fi, not for platinum, but I might tweak it on Shoddy

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First off, your Yanmega lead looks fine, Hidden Power [FIRE] isn't worth only hitting Scizor for as Heatran could give your team some issues. Though I would suggest Life Orb over Focus Sash as Yanmega is fast enough to not get hit by many attacks (except priority) and you'll need the extra power for the OHKO on Heatran.

On swampert, keep the EV's and go with the standard set of Ice Beam. This allows Swampert to not worry about taking too much damage, while being able to shuffle the team and see what your opponent has.

Once again your Tentacruel is fine, though I don't know about giving it Hidden Power [ELECTIC] as Gyarados will OHKO you with a boosted Earthquake, which is a very likely thing to happen.

Gengar is probably one of the main things I'd change on your team. While Choice Specs is a item to have on something like Gengar, it would be better for you to have Choice Scaf on Gengar.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
- Hidden Power [ICE]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Trick is an overrated move, and with it finally being fixed on Shoddy you can forego the High Reward Zero Risk that went with Trick. Now you have four moveslots you have a great revenge killer in Gengar, coming in on a Salamence as he Dragon Dances / Earthquake and have the ability to OHKO him with Hidden Power [ICE]. While Gyarados can Dragon Dance as well, but he's still OHKO'd but Thunderbolt. You outspeed a vast majority of the OU metagame, even with scarfs, and have a wide variety of Super Effective hits. Focus Blast will be for Darks, Normals and Steels. Shadow Ball is to hit other Ghosts and nail Psychics hard.

f you absolutly MUST use Electvire on your team, that set isn't the most effective one. It won't deal enough damage through his lower SpAtk stat. I'll suggest this set:

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

This set hits a vast majority of the pokemon in OU for Super Effective damage, and Expert Belt boosting that damage as wll. For this set to be effective though, you'll need to switch Electivire in on an electric attack to allow him to get the boost in speed he needs to sweep.

Hope I helped,
Empoleon

I would say to you that Ice beam is your better choice on swampert, I would suggest going with trick on Gengar for when the stall comes out you can trick and mess up the team thats stalling you. Swampert already covers Salamence and the like.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
First off, your Yanmega lead looks fine, Hidden Power [FIRE] isn't worth only hitting Scizor for as Heatran could give your team some issues. Though I would suggest Life Orb over Focus Sash as Yanmega is fast enough to not get hit by many attacks (except priority) and you'll need the extra power for the OHKO on Heatran.

On swampert, keep the EV's and go with the standard set of Ice Beam. This allows Swampert to not worry about taking too much damage, while being able to shuffle the team and see what your opponent has.

Once again your Tentacruel is fine, though I don't know about giving it Hidden Power [ELECTIC] as Gyarados will OHKO you with a boosted Earthquake, which is a very likely thing to happen.

Gengar is probably one of the main things I'd change on your team. While Choice Specs is a item to have on something like Gengar, it would be better for you to have Choice Scaf on Gengar.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
- Hidden Power [ICE]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Trick is an overrated move, and with it finally being fixed on Shoddy you can forego the High Reward Zero Risk that went with Trick. Now you have four moveslots you have a great revenge killer in Gengar, coming in on a Salamence as he Dragon Dances / Earthquake and have the ability to OHKO him with Hidden Power [ICE]. While Gyarados can Dragon Dance as well, but he's still OHKO'd but Thunderbolt. You outspeed a vast majority of the OU metagame, even with scarfs, and have a wide variety of Super Effective hits. Focus Blast will be for Darks, Normals and Steels. Shadow Ball is to hit other Ghosts and nail Psychics hard.

f you absolutly MUST use Electvire on your team, that set isn't the most effective one. It won't deal enough damage through his lower SpAtk stat. I'll suggest this set:

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

This set hits a vast majority of the pokemon in OU for Super Effective damage, and Expert Belt boosting that damage as wll. For this set to be effective though, you'll need to switch Electivire in on an electric attack to allow him to get the boost in speed he needs to sweep.

Hope I helped,
Empoleon
Gen, you put "252 Atk" on your Gengar suggestion. I'm assuming that's supposed to be Sp.Atk lol

ok, first of all, u have a solid team, some things need changing tho, instead of hidden power on yanmega, use hypnosis, sleep inducers will give u a free speed boost and a chance to kill a counter (if well predicted) such as infernape...
next, ure swampert, swamperts are amazing pokemon but u are running a STAB on eq, a physical move, put the 52 sp atk evs into atk and use avalanche as the - speed priority works well with his poor speed.

ure tentacruel has very poor coverage, with the increasingly popular sandstorm teams and flying pokemon such as salamence, it won't do much damage, and u already have an s-rocker, maybe put ice beam instead of toxic spikes or if u want to keep it se hp ice, this will give u more coverage over those pesky ground pokemon that think they can counter you!!

hp ice is more useful with gengar, ppl usually run a scarf as it already has enormous sp atk and with the likes of weavile around, u aren't going to survive long without it... focus blast is a great move but misses alot, maybe a wide lense would be betr for this job.

with gyarados, always use leftovers, bulkyier variants are much more intimidating and harder to take out, therefore it will draw more attention to its *4 weakness in order for u to bring out e-vire and sweep. i find eq more useful for those electric pokemon such as e-vire hu think they can cum in safely...

with e-vire, expert belt is betr as it is generally too fragile to run life orb... with a gengar AND yanmega on ure team, try the "its super effective" moveset... it scores a super effective hit on almost every pokemon... cross chop, t-punch, ice punch and earthquake

hope this helped :)

I would go Max Speed Naive on Vire, anything less than max won't cut it as Electivire isn't sturdy enough to be a tank, or fast enough to be a good sweeper w/o Motor Drive. MixVire is threatening, but i suggest only running HP Ice/Tbolt as special so you can get the great coverage Ground/Fighting/BoltBeam presents.

So i would go for this set.

Electivire @ Expert Belt (Motor Drive)
176 Atk/252 Spd/80 SAtk (Naive)
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-EQ
-Cross Chop or Brick Break for screens.

Run Taunt over EQ on dos for stopping stuff recovering and statusing. Otherwise good.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
HP Evs and a focus sash are redundant. I'd suggest changing gengar into a rotom form, this gives you a bulkier spin blocker so your hazards won't be spun away as easily. It would also allow you to revenge kill gyarados which you could have trouble with if it has earthquake. Ice beam on swampert and change your nature to relaxed.

Base 120's and Base 125's aren't that common, and you will beat most of them anyway. I'd suggest giving it 184 speed evs and throwing the remainder into HP. These EVs will allow you to outspeed base 115s, most notably starmie.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega's HP EVs should be moved to defense, it makes Scizor's Bullet Punch a 3HKO on average.

On E-Vire, consider thunderbolt instead of thunderpunch, for pokes like skarmory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)