Gen 3 I need help on my Team.

OK so im going to battle my friend from school. Hes no pro or nething. My team is going to be:

Charizard
Starmie
Golem
Gengar
Exeggutor
Snorlax

How is this lineup? Should i take out ne of them? also since the site is down can you guys give me some movesets for them? one thing tho, while ill trade any of my pokemon for others ones, charizard is staple in my team and i wont take him out for another pokemon.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
nice team. it's pretty well balanced. also, are there any limitations on movesets? like can you get multiple TMs and stuff? Let me know if any of this will be hard for you, and we can try and think of alternatives:

Gengar: Hypnosis, Thunderbolt, Seismic Toss, Explosion
Starmie: ThunderWave, Recover, Thunderbolt, Blizzard/Surf
Golem: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Substitute/Body Slam, Explosion
Exeggutor: Sleep Powder/Mega Drain, Stun Spore, Explosion, Psychic
Snorlax: Selfdestruct, Hyper Beam, Body Slam, Surf/Earthquake
Charizard: Fire Blast, Swords Dance, Body Slam/Hyper Beam, Earthquake

let me know if you need anything else.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
alright, well the hyper beam tm should definitely go to snorlax. body slam he learns naturally iirc. selfdestruct is a tm. and surf is an HM. Surf works well on Golem/Rhydon, especially because the Earthquake tm should go to charizard. Otherwise, you can use pretty much whatever you want for that 4th move.

Snorlax-Hyper Beam, Body Slam, Selfdestruct, Surf

i think golem learns earthquake on its on, so the earthquake tm can go to charizard. he also gets the swords dance tm. i think he eventually learns fire blast, but if not there is a tm for that. as far as his 4th move goes...maybe Fly? If it's yellow, maybe Wing Attack. or perhaps Body Slam, since Snorlax gets that naturally. Rock Slide could also be a nice choice.

Charizard-Swords Dance, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Fly/Body Slam/Rock Slide?

Starmie gets the Thunder Wave TM. Surf is an HM and Blizzard is a TM. Recover it learns. Now, thunderbolt is iffy. Gengar probably needs it just as much. But it would be nice to be able to handle other waters with your own water. It's up to you.

Starmie-Thunderwave, Recover, Blizzard/Surf, ???

Gengar learns hypnosis. Explosion could be better served on golem or eggy. So...confuse ray is an option. Psychic is an option (nice for opponent special falls, but not so nice because psychic is a major type in competitive battling. seismic toss is good. mega drain is ok for golem/rhydon. Since Starmie has great options for its 4th move even without thunderbolt (2 of psychic, blizzard/ice beam, surf), thunderbolt could possibly be better served on gengar. your choice.

Gengar- Hypnosis, Seismic Toss, Mega Drain??, Psychic??, Thunderbolt??

Golem is pretty simple. Substitute is a TM. Earthquake and Rock Slide (i think) are learned naturally. Explosion is a must.

Golem- Rock Slide, Substitute, Earthquake, Explosion

Exeggutor is easy enough. No explosion (unless..does it learn it naturally? i highly doubt it) so that means it can double powder (stun spore and sleep powder) as well as get double stab (psychic and mega drain). Or, if you want, Double Edge over Sleep Powder to handle Alakazam better (alakazam is a popular psychic type).

Exeggutor- Sleep Powder/Double-Edge, Stun Spore, Psychic, Mega Drain

Regarding the team:

Charizard
I somewhat disagree with the swords dance set: Charizard has too many weaknesses and is not fast enough against some of his most common enemies (Jolty and Starmie) to do much of any setup. However, he has some lackluster performance in special as well, so you might be stuck with it, ideally you will bring it out once his water and electric have been killed. Fly is also entirely ineffective, as it will lure out one of his weaknesses immediately, and Slash crits ignore swords dances. This leads me to the moveset: Flamethrower, Slash, Earthquake, Dig (if available). Dig, while it does encourage one of his opponents into the arena, is much more effective against common threatening types to Charizard.

Flamethrower over Fireblast for the fact that both of them without crits are a 2hko on Exeggutor and Articuno, the most common things to actually be throwing fire attacks at.

Snorlax: I like the Boomlax setup of Self Destruct, Earthquake, Body Slam/Hyper Beam (Either, depending on the kind of risks you want to take), and I suppose I like the Surf suggestion, although his special attack basically will turn that into a very narrow counter to Rhydon/Golem.

Starmie is best served USUALLY with a Boltbeam setup. There is, however, room for Gengar to need some kind of decent special attack, so you may consider Surf/Icebeam (or Psychic)/Recover/(*)

You have some choices there. Either using a defensive move like Minimize (if allowed), or thunderwave (if possible with TM) to disable your opponents. Psychic is eh, Blizzard is also an option instead of Icebeam, but if you're allowed to use evade moves, Icebeam's accuracy may be a deciding factor.

Exeggutor: Definitely use Double Edge. You want to be able to break other psychics with this thing, which means going after their pathetic defense stats. Mega Drain is pitiful for damage even with Stab, I'd avoid it alltogether.

Gengar: Hypnosis is nice, so is Thunderbolt. Seismic Toss would be a last resort for me, as it's really best on something without attacking capability... but Gengar is in desperate need of effective moves in this Gen. Psychic would be decent for breaking other Gengars.

Golem: What Green said. Use Sub on their switch into a water, and then blow them away with BIG HITS (OH YEAH!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)