I quit.

Wow, good luck to you. My mom's been trying to quit for a while, so I know it's hard. I hope you do well in trying to quit smoking.

Actually if you have alot of self control you should do that. Otherwise you'll just keep buying more then throw them away or w/e because you want to finish them, resulting in a waste of money. I know a lot of people who quit smoking and claimed this helped.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I found a good substitute for the phsyical addiction [as in holding and smoking the cigarette] in my DS stylus lol, it actually works!
hahaha

I ruined mine by chewing on it. I sure am glad they give you an extra one. :)

Wow, it's pretty damn awesome to find someone in the same situation as I am. For the last week I've been trying to give up smoking as my parents don't appreciate the habit. I've found myself being angry at such minor things, which I in normal occasions would never be angry with. I've been especially frustrated with other people and I keep on saying useless, sarcastic things to them.

I struggled the first few days and then gave up as well. Man, did I just feel like a piece of shit when I thought about how the addiction overcame me. I was a quite frequent smoker and I knew I couldn't stop just like that, but I figured I just needed more and more things to do, so I couldn't get my mind into cigarettes.

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I quit weed a while ago. Well, quit... I still smoke every once in a while but I never deal/get my own shit anymore.
It worked, kinda. Only thing is that I'm now addicted to shit known as much worse.
If you have the wrong contacts at the wrong time, shit can happen really fast.
I'm not proud of this but it took over my life kinda, it started to fit in my lifestyle and that's absolutely not a good thing.
I don't know why I'm saying this though I guess I don't wish this to happen to anyone because it really sucks when I think about it.

anyway good luck in quitting, if i could, you definitely can
we dont share the same name for nothing bro, we daniels are the best yo!

edit: the gums are disgusting by the way. i also heard you can only chew 2/3 times on them a minute? thats ridiculous.

Dont worry my dad's a smoker and although he hasn't quit he's getting there. Start by reducing the quantity and only have them on rare occasions. Also try sunflower seeds. I dont smoke (im only a kid) but they have a smoky kind of taste and well i hope you fight of your addiction

Alright dude. If you can manage to quit cold turkey, go for it, but here's a backup plan:

If it's more the psychological addiction - the habit of smoking - that's getting to you, than the physical withdrawal - do this: whenever you have a craving, light up. Don't smoke the whole thing, though. Smoke half at most, or a few puffs, or whatever. Then put it out and stick it back in the pack. I do this all the goddamn time and it keeps me from smoking more than I should.

Then, you cut back a little at a time on how much you smoke. Gradual works best, trust me. Just limit yourself to so many per day, and when you start feeling comfortable with that amount, bring it down again.

Echo, that's pretty cool you decided to stop. I thought I was going crazy when I started getting frustrated with the cooking...telling the mushrooms to slow down and screaming at the onions to hurry up and go brown ARGH. and then my mum came in the kitchen and is all happy and "HI WHAT YOU COOKING?" at which point I just screamed and went upstairs to put an angry sticker on my wall chart.

Daniel, brother, I know exactly what you mean by the wrong contacts at the wrong time. I know a lot of people in my area, and a lot of them smoke/deal a bit of weed. Obviously when partys and shit come round, people don't just want to smoke a spliff [I've never done anything other than skunk, which is pretty potent over here lol], so all my mates end up getting coked off their faces. I don't know if you've ever been the only one not doing coke at a party, but it fucking sucks.

I thought to myself, "What am I doing here" and that was pretty much the point when I thought I wanted to clean up my life.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to completely stop smoking weed yet, but I've really cut down [I used to smoke like a 10bit [which is supposed to be like 1.8g, but you always get scammed] every couple of days with pretty much all my wages] and haven't even bought any bud for about a month now. Ideally I would like to stop though, and I hope to by christmas/new years-ish. If you wanna talk anytime, lemme know yah?

Tonight was good though, had a FAT skate down at some local warehouse..ripped that shit up and didn't even think about smoking :D

G'luck with stopping man! I have faith that'll you be able to quit for good! Certain hobbies can stop an addiction for awhile! I suggest you play a lot of video games if you enjoy those!

Try replacing one crutch with another. I suggest becoming alcoholic.

Just kiddin man, addictions are not fun. Once you're over the hump it'll be smooth(er) sailing.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Good luck man. I also just quit smoking, I want to get in better shape for when I go back into the Navy.

dogs don't help with quitting smoking, if you have a dog you spend a lot of idle time outside waiting for it to take a dump or whatever...perfect time for a smoke. plus puppies are good at causing stress.

well, good luck dude. the irritability is the worst, that seems to be why most smokers return to the habit. you're on the right track though, if you genuinely want to quit, then you will. just do whatever you can to take your mind off it. buy some scratch n' sniff stickers to reward yourself!
Puppies can actually calm you.

Your heart rate decreases when you pet an animal...

Three days so far for me... I am eating so much more... I had three donuts yesterday, and I had dinner at 6 and wanted to eat again by 7, so I had steak... it's pretty fucking awesome to be fair, I have an excuse to scoff bad food... but I would rather not get fat.

Also, apparently you can overdose on nicotine replacement thingies... I found that out yesterday. I'd got one of those super-strength patches on, then I chewed two sticks of the 4mg gum and spent the next four hours with my head on my desk trying not to throw up and drooling slightly. I've stopped wearing the patches now :|

Good luck... (I am tempted right now thanks to all the reading about cigarettes, but eh... I have gone three days and three nights in the pub without smoking, so reading a forum ain't gonna stop me :>)

I know an unorthodox way for you to quit smoking and if you really want It, I seriously doubt you will ever dare to put a cigars in your mouth again. It is absolutely insane, but.... an old teacher of mine stopped smoking using this. If you are helpless, I will be glad to post. Other than that, good luck.

Three days so far for me... I am eating so much more... I had three donuts yesterday, and I had dinner at 6 and wanted to eat again by 7, so I had steak... it's pretty fucking awesome to be fair, I have an excuse to scoff bad food... but I would rather not get fat.

Also, apparently you can overdose on nicotine replacement thingies... I found that out yesterday. I'd got one of those super-strength patches on, then I chewed two sticks of the 4mg gum and spent the next four hours with my head on my desk trying not to throw up and drooling slightly. I've stopped wearing the patches now :|

Good luck... (I am tempted right now thanks to all the reading about cigarettes, but eh... I have gone three days and three nights in the pub without smoking, so reading a forum ain't gonna stop me :>)
Wow Jenova I didn't know you still posted here lol. Congrats on 3 days! I heard they are the hardest. I've been absolutely fine today, haven't even though about them. Went to the pub this evening as well, but with the smoking ban, everyone went outside so I had no incentive to make me want to smoke.

Eating loads is a thing I'm not too cool about though. The idea of me stopping smoking was to increase my BMI, stamina, etc but I actually can't stop eating. I loved food as it was when I was smoking, but now I'm 100% infatuated with it ALL the time. I must have eaten 30lb of shit today, and thats bad news for my kidneys =[. ANYWAY im quite tdrunkl atm, my dad bought me lots of beer because he was playing darts and we lost 7-6 NO!

NIGHT SMOGoN!

QUESTION QUESTION QUESTION

So, can someone describe to me how it's like to be addicted to a cigarette?

Give me some analogies that a non-smoker would understand. I mean, I always say, hmm, how hard can it be? And obviously, it's pretty hard. Is it as hard as stop masturbating?

Serious question, I swear.

My brother had to quit after he was diagnosed with asthma. He didn't pick it up after he realized how much money he was saving.

QUESTION QUESTION QUESTION

So, can someone describe to me how it's like to be addicted to a cigarette?

Give me some analogies that a non-smoker would understand. I mean, I always say, hmm, how hard can it be? And obviously, it's pretty hard. Is it as hard as stop masturbating?

Serious question, I swear.
Think of how good food is and how you take it for granted, having a snack whenever you want. Then you find out you're too FAT and your GP or doctor tells you you can never eat again or you'll die.

I don't know, how about you start smoking for 5 years, then find out yourself.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)