I Really Like Spinning (1800~ OU RMT)

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
I Really like Spinning

Well, I'm making an RMT! I haven't done this in a while but I think I still remember how to make people read my crap. This team is based around Hitmontop, one of the most underrated spinners in OU! He really excels at only a few things, and is usually regarded as niche. However, with it's great ability and moderately strong offense, It can handle a variety of threats in the Metagame. So I based my team around him!

Team building Process

I started with Hitmontop. He's really here for only a few reasons. Rapid spin, dealing with offensive threats like Garchomp, Tyranitar, and everything that you ever had to fight on a sand team.

Next, I needed to remove residual damage as much as possible. Hitmontop lacks recovery and needs as much help as he can get. He hates sandtorm, toxic, burn, those kids across the street, and everything else that does damage slowly. So, I added Politoed to cancel weather! He doesn't

Next, I fell back on one of my favorite walls in the game. Ferrothorn is just broken. Not only that, but he has problems with the fighting type coverage that hangs around tons of teams. Guess what, Hitmontop doesn't! Yay!

Next I needed something with some offensive presence. Mostly the point of any offense I had would be to either force switches revenge kill. This team is designed as basically a semi-stall. Hydriegon does just this! In practice he tends to come out as a late game sweeper, as he deals around 50% to everything in OU.

Next I wanted wish support and something to help handle the many psychic types in OU. Hydriegon has problems doing this himself due to his weakness to focus blast. So I grabbed Jirachi!

Finally, I needed a spin blocker and some offensive presence. Gengar does this, not to mention that he can deal with any variant of Toxicroak, something my team had trouble with.

Eventually, in order to help with Keldeo, and in order to calm my suspicions about Hydriegon being useless, I tried replacing him with Gyrados. It's working much better.

The Team

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 176 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic

He works as my pivot. Being able to handle Scizor, Conkeldurr, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are only the beginning. With these EVs, he can 2hko standard Ferrothorn as long as he doesn't switch into leach seed, 2hko starmie, and just generally hit harder. I originally ran close combat on him, but noticed that often times I was forced to switch out after an attack due to my lowered defenses. Also, foresight used to be on the set. It was bad. I replaced it with sucker punch in order to hit Starmies that didn't have psyshock and Gengar. Toxic handles Jellicent, and cripples any switch ins to Hitmontop. It also turns him into a pseudo revenge killer in some situations!

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Psychic

I love scarfed Politoed but I hated how little utility it had. So, I stole this set from Trevorpoke's RMT, and I found that it can handle a good majority of situations. Scald is easily the most used move on this set, as Ice Beam is mostly for dragons and Psychic is there for Venasaur, Gengar, and general coverage against those who resist Scald and Ice Beam. Encore I don't find myself using too much, as Politoed is quite squishy with these EVs and usually can't take a hit without being severely crippled. I would be up for suggestions on something to change this.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn is Just stupid strong. There's not much to say about him other than that he sets spikes more reliably than anyone in the game. Rain covers his fire weakness, giving him a huge boost defensively to his already massive defensive coverage. Not much to say because everything ever said about Ferrothorn has been said!

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 172 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Gyarados tends to end games. The team has sort of evolved into helping him become a monster. He checks Keldeo as long as it isn't carrying Hidden Power electric and it's typing helps in force around pokemon into taking more hazard damage so that it can become the sweeper it was meant to be later in the game. I run moxie because I already have someone running intimidate, and honestly the attack boosts are what keep it's sweeps running. Tends to receive Wish well from Jirachi, again mostly due to it's typing.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Def
Sassy Nature
- Thunder
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Possibly one of the most annoying Pokemon in the game. He can take tons of damage, heal my team, set up stealth rock, provide paralysis, and still not die. As I said in teambuilding, It's mostly here for wish support. Thunder helps handle Gyarados, Who can deal serious damage to my team if it gets set up. Also a secondary Scizor "check." It does it's job well.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Gengar is mean. Like, really mean. He single-handily handles stall teams, baton pass teams, can stop walls, has perfect coverage, stops choice users from being useful, and spinblocks. He's really strong. Not only that, but between him, Hydreigon, and Jirachi, Most switch ins will be for free! Subdisable has many unique traits that allow it to handle both offensive and defensive situations. I don't think I've ever had him be statused. It's also quite nice that he can handle Toxicroak after he's disabled sucker punch. A great addition to the team. I'm not willing to switch him to Jellicent to handle Keldeo, mostly because then I wouldn't have an answer to Toxicroak.

Problem Pokemon

Still a problem, but is somewhat dampened by the fact that Gyarados has been added to the team. Still a notable threat if I'm stupid and decide to loose Gyra early.

Thundurus is now more of a problem after the Gyarados switch due to it's agility sets running over me revenge killing it and being unable to paralyze it. I may end up having to grab body slam on Jirachi in order to even handle it, but I would be open to other options.

Well, that concludes the RMT, I suppose! Here's the importable.
Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 176 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Psychic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 172 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Def
Sassy Nature
- Thunder
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Comments and Suggestions are welcome and appreciated! All positions on the team are welcome to change, outside of Hitmontop cause he's my bro. However, His set could be changed around if need be.​

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Ignus

I think, since Keldeo seems to be your numebr one issue, that a simple change for you to make would be to use Tentacruel over Hitmontop. Honestly, Hitmontop is not a great spinner at all. Even in UU it's seen as pretty terrible since it loses to just about ever spin blocker in the game. On the other hand, Tentacruel can function not only as a rapid spinner, but also as a fantastic wall that pairs very well with Ferrothorn, and can help you better deal with Keldeo. The SubToxic set can beat every single spin blocker (as long as you catch Gengar on the switch with Scald), something that Hitmontop can never hope to do. That can help keep hazards off the field much more easily. Next, Hydreigon just doesn't seem to fit very well with the team, nor does your team appreciate spinning that much, since two of them are immune to Spikes and the rest (besides Toed) resist Stealth Rock. I suggest you change Hydreigon to Kyurem-B. Kyurem-B function sin a similar way to Hydeigon, in that almost nothing can counter it, but it has much better bulk, just as good SAtk, and a much better ability. Plus, it very much appreciates the ability to spin that you seem keen on providing. A Mixed Substitute set can be a fearsome enemy for your opponent, since almost nothing can switch into it. Rotom-W, a decent counter to Kyurem, can be beaten by Earth Power. The same goes for Bronzong. And since Kyurem forces many switches, it can be easy to get up a sub and defeat whatever Pokémon the opponent sends out to "counter" you. I think Kyurem-B definitely supports the team better than Hydreigon. You may have more problems with Ferrothorn due to these changes, so make sure you keep your Gengar alive until Ferrothorn is dead. Tentacruel can also beat Ferrothorn if you are able to burn it with Scald. Just letting you know.

Hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 20 Spd / 252 HP / 236 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute
- Toxic

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 236 Spd / 216 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute

Ignus

Definitely worthwhile comments. I understand your changes but honestly I don't agree with you on Tentacruel. It has problems with many of the pokemon I mentioned earlier, including Garchomp and Landorus-T. Not only that, but he takes less damage from Terrakion's Stone edge. Kyurem-B also 1hkos Tentacruel, something that can't be preformed on Hitmontop, who at best takes a 3hko. Intimidate also helps pad switch-ins for the team. Honestly, Keldeo is the only reason I would change it. If you have a different suggestion, I would be willing to look at it, but the composition of this team is too built around Hitmontop's utility for it to make much sense. Not only that, but I'll only increase my weakness to sand teams with the Kyurem change. Sand is something this Hitmontop can handle almost by itself.
If you can reason past that then I'll consider it <3

Kyurem, however, is definitely worth looking at. I'll try out the set and see how I feel about it.

Definitely worthwhile comments. I understand your changes but honestly I don't agree with you on Tentacruel. It has problems with many of the pokemon I mentioned earlier, including Garchomp and Landorus-T. Not only that, but he takes less damage from Terrakion's Stone edge. Kyurem-B also 1hkos Tentacruel, something that can't be preformed on Hitmontop, who at best takes a 3hko. Intimidate also helps pad switch-ins for the team. Honestly, Keldeo is the only reason I would change it. If you have a different suggestion, I would be willing to look at it, but the composition of this team is too built around Hitmontop's utility for it to make much sense. Not only that, but I'll only increase my weakness to sand teams with the Kyurem change. Sand is something this Hitmontop can handle almost by itself.
If you can reason past that then I'll consider it <3

Kyurem, however, is definitely worth looking at. I'll try out the set and see how I feel about it.
Honestly, the combination of Gengar and Ferrothorn can deal with Garchomp and Landorus-T. But you mentioned Keldeo as a huge threat to this team, so I think you should change Gengar, which is probably the most expendable member on your team. You mentioned that you needed a spin blocker with offensive presence. Maybe you could try out Jellicent with a moveset of Trick Room, Surf, Shadow Ball and Ice Beam/Giga Drain. Spread is 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk with a Life Orb. Use Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs as well. If that doesn't appeal to you you can also try out a standard spin blocker set on smogon. If you don't agree to my suggestions then Halcyon of Light's changes work as well. Hope I helped!

How usefull do you find gengars shadowball? He could do more damage to keldeo by using thunderbolt instead, or replace disable with gigadrain. This allows him to cause considerable damage to top threats like tyranitar and terrakion without relying on focus blast as well covering your Keldeo weakness.

Ignus

I've been messing around with different pokemon and different sets to help me out with the weaknesses of this team- and I think I may have found something worth-while.

The bottom line is that I tried basically everything mentioned here, including Tentacruel. Tentacruel worked, but left something lacking. The biggest problem was the lack of intimidate needed to force some switches to increase hazard damage. It didn't lend me, as far as I could tell, a large enough advantage over Hitmontop to be worth using continuously. So I switched it back.
Next, I realized that a big part of my problems came from Hydreigon. It's stats are great, it's movepool is wonderful, but it lacked the ability to reach true endgame prowess due to it's lack of boosting moves. It hit everything well, but everything could hit it. So I rummaged around, looked at pokemon, tried Kyruem-B... Didn't like it. Tried SUPER STRONG JELLICENT With both Kyruem and Hydriegon... Still yucky and inconsistent. So I tried something new. I grabbed a dd Gyarados. So far, I've found it works much better! Keldeo, doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did. It still hurts if I screw the pooch, but I don't feel as helpless as before. However, now I have a different problem.

Thundurus-T makes me cry now.
Expert belt sets I can revenge kill. Same with nasty plot. Agility sets, however, tend to wreck my ass. Jirachi WOULD be my go-to guy but even it will take around 40% health from a thunder/thunderbolt and I can't paralyze it while I'm running thunder. My first thought would be switching to body slam. Even this, though, makes me hesitate because I miss out on the para support on Gengar and because I love the damage it does in most situations.

I'm going to update the RMT also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)