Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Rapid Spin

Every lead these days is an anti-lead in some kind of way. And mine is no exception. The only top-twenty lead that it would lose to would be Weavile. Metagross is a certain 2HKO with Surf. While Earthquake+Bullet Punch fails to KO. Azelf has a high chance of being KO'ed by Surf+Rapid Spin. When I see a Jirachi, I switch straight to Magnezone to trap it and kill it with HP Fire. Swampert is a OHKO with Grass Knot. Aerodacylt are both handled by Surf+Rapid Spin. Hippowdon has a 66.66% chance of being OHKO'ed by Surf. As you can see, the main leads are all handled with ease by this Starmie. it can also come back in later game and serve as a MixApe check and general Speical sweeper.

How it helps Weavile

Starmie makes sure that Stealth Rock will not be on the field when Weavile comes out, which would do a whopping 25% HP to him. With him being so frail and taking 10% Life Orb damage every attack, this makes quite a huge difference in keeping him alive for longer.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Porygon2 is the main bulk in this team. It serves as my check to Salamence and Gyarados, bouncing back Intimidate and KOing with the respective 4x move. The moves and EVs are basic and standard. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam make a nice combo, hitting Salamence and Gyarados for big damage. Thunderwave can stop faster threats from hurting the team.. While Recover adds to the bulk and keeps him alive for longer.

How it helps Weavile

Porygon2's main roles in helping Weavile are 2. First is Stopping ScarfTran dead using Trace. It also helps to slow down any random Scarfers, usong Thunderwave, so that Weavile can outspeed and KO them. It also helps in general by being a mulit-purpose counter to many things.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gengar is a kind of WallBreaker for the team. It can crush all of the physical walls that would threaten Weavile. While it puts a large dent in the Special walls. Set is standard, again. Sustitute to help me take/give another hit. Shadow Ball is STAB, and provides coverage with Focus Blast. HP Fire rounds off the set taking care of any Scizor trying to come in to get an easy kill. This is done by using Sub on the switch, Then using HP Fire as he BPs/Pursuits.

How it helps Weavile

The main way that Gengar helps Weavile is by crushung the Physical walls, such as Skarmoey that would try to stop/Roar Weavile out. Gengar can also bring out, and kill Scizor early on in the game. This is important as Scizor is prehaps the biggest threat to any Weavile.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP/64 Atk/184 Def/44 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

TauntDos is one of the best pokemon out there today. The set and spread are shamelessly stolen from Kingdrom. As such, I have him here to explain the EVs.
In the last slot of this team is the third and last of the group of ultra-defensive counters. The use of Rapid Spin on Starmie is really what has allowed Gyarados to perform this role perfectly. Due partly to Intimidate, Gyarados makes an exceptional switch-in to Scizor and Lucario. Taunt is the mainstay of this set, allowing Gyarados to stop set-ups, especially Curse Snorlax and Empoleon. Importantly, it prevents Blissey from using Thunder Wave and prevents Skarmory from phazing my boosts. Waterfall utilizes STAB and works fine as a secondary Infernape / Heatran counter. Dragon Dance is to transform Gyarados into a late-game sweeper if the opportunity arises. However the last slot is more tentative; originally, Stone Edge was used, as this Gyarados is a counter to DD Salamence even with SR on the field. However, the ability to OHKO Lucario and harm Empoleon was enough to convince me to switch over to Earthquake. Sporadically, I still use Stone Edge. This doesn't help in getting past walls, but breaking walls is not its purpose.

The Ev's are crafted to meet the lofty expectations I had set. 216 HP Ev's reaches a total of 385, one more than the maximum leftovers point to yield an odd number indivisible by four (in case that SR could not be removed). The defense investment and nature gives a jump point and allows Gyarados to survive a +0 Outrage from LO Salamence, as well as surviving +2 Stone Edge from Jolly Hyper Cutter Gliscor, each with SR damage accounted for to be safe. Adamant Lucario +1 Close Combat, the most powerful attack most SD Lucarios can muster, only manages 45%. This specific investment gives it the liberty to deal with physical and special Infernape, since it can survive a +1 Infernape Stone Edge and Grass Knot from Mixape does insignificant damage. 44 Ev's in speed yields 209, enough to beat no speed Cresselia and Rotom as well as Lucario after one DD and all Scarf Heatran after 2 DD's. The rest was put into attack, which guarantees an OHKO on Salamence with Stone Edge after SR and LO damage. Without Stone Edge, this is significant as it means that Breloom's Substitute will always be broken if it runs 4 HP (not a bad idea in itself) and standard Breloom's Sub is broken around 83% of the time. As I run EQ more often, I have considered running enough speed to beat standard Empoleon before an Agility so that I can prevent its setup.
As you can see, it is quite good. Gyarados is here to stop any attempts that Lucario or Scizor may make of sweeping. It can also pull off mini sweeps of it's own. Gyarados also serves the purpose of stopping Snorlax from getting Cursed up, using Taunt. It is also very useful when something such as Skarmory comes in and to Phaze me, I can just Taunt them and continue to sweep.

How it helps Weavile

Gyarados is yet ANOTHER pokemon that stops Scizor. But its ability to stop Lucario and weaken teams has also prooved to be very useful for Weavile.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

Scizor killer. This thing handles the steels that endanger the life of Weavile. It also serves as a multi-purpose revenge killer. Thunderbolt is STAB. HP Fire handles all of the mean steel types.Flash Cannon is Secondary STAB. And Explosion is for when I just just, eh may as well, and just kill them. EVs are very basic. If anyone has a better spread, plz tell me.

How it helps Weavile

It kills Scizor, hands down. And that is why it is on the team.

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break

We finally arrive at the crux of the team. It has all been building up to this. Weakening the walls and killing the Scizor. Then comes the great Weavile from his den, ready to take back the tier of OU. With Scizor getting Bullet Punch, Weavile died. But now he has come back better than ever.
Swords Dance is the thing that makes this set so damn destructive, boosting his attack sky-high. Ice Shard is used here over Ice Punch, as it stil grabs most of the important KO'es. It only misses out on the super bulky ones like Hippowdon. Night Slash is the other STAB move that hits anything hard. Brick Break rounds off the set with coverage against Steel and Normal types. EVs enable him to outrun Alakazam and Durgtrio (who are both OHKO'ed by +2 Ice Shard anyway). It also outruns +1 Jolly DDtar and KO'es with Brick Break.

What it does for Weavile

Weavile is very good at being Weavile.

Team Building proccess.

I started with Weavile.

I then added Magnezone to stop Scizor.

I then put in Porygon2 to handle Mence and Gyara.

Then came Starmie, to stop Rapid Spin.

As a fighting immune, Gengar came next.

And finally came Gyarados to make the Gyara-Zone combo and to handle Luke.

So that's my team. Yay!​

Your team is pretty good, and since Weavile is the main sweeper, removing it isn't an option. Weavile is quite a good poke so it shouldn't be too hard getting the sweep. The only thing that would be tough, is the SD boost. Weavile is pretty fragile and getting a boost would be pretty hard since most sweepers such as SD Lucario use Scizor and other trappers to get off a boost due to how fragile they are.

Nevertheless, it shouldn't be hard forcing walls and other slow poke that take SE damage from Weavile to switch. The first thing I notice is how weak the team is to Mix Mence, Physically based Infernape and Scarf Infernape, and to a lesser extent Scarf Flygon who is only outsped by Weaviles priority Ice Shard but Weavile won't be able to switch-in against Flygon without risking being KOed. To fix this you need one major thing, Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock will limit the number of times Salamence can switch-in. P2, your initial switch-in, gets beaten by Draco Meteor while all of your other poke can be taken out by the correct move.

Unfortunatley, I have to go right now but I wanted to adress these issues. I'll help you out when I get the chance.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Hi,

although I'm not a fan of Weavile, I honestly believe that there are little advantages using it over Lucario or Scizor, your team seems to support it correctly. As the above poster suggested, a pokemon which can set up SR reliably is almost a must have in the current metagame, and if you're looking for a pokemon to replace, I'd remove Gengar, because this team has absolutely no problems with Skarmory, and you have Magnezone to deal with Scizor.

Now, as your stealth rocker, I'd suggest to use a bulky pokemon like Swampert, which would also help with physically based Infernape, which usually don't carry grass knot. So:

Swampert@leftovers
nature: impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-stealth rock
-earthquake
-avalanche / ice punch
-roar

if you opt for this polemon, I suggest to go all out physical, since your team lacks a good TTar counter, and with avalanche / ice punch you can catch Latias on the switch, and Latias is another pokemon which may give you troubles. Swampert also "checks" physical Salamence.

Another option would be adding a special defense oriented Jirachi, but it would add another fire and ground weakness and I think that it's not advisable.

Good luck with your team!

I don't like Porygon2 in here. I find it serves its purpose very well, but is very easy to outstall, and doesn't hit hard enough. i would reccomend switching it with a pokemon which I tested myself and found it worked perfectly.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold / Own Tempo
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Slack Off
-HP Electric
252 HP / 252 Def or SDef / 4 of SAtk, Def or SDef

It not only keeps Mence and other threats at bay, It can revenge kill them and keep Ape at bay, with a resistance to both its stabs, and an OHKO on it with surf.

Alright, with swampert as your leads, starmie should change its moveset. If you want something to support your team with rapid spin then try the following set:

Starmie@ Levtovers
Bold
252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Spe
-Surf
-Reflect
-Recover
-Rapid Spin

The main reason you had Starmie was for getting rid of sr so rapid spin is a must. Recover allows Starmie to remain in good health while Surf is for STAB and lets Starmie serve as a good check to things like bulky grounds and Infernape. Reflect is what makes this set so good. With Reflect, Scizor and Tyranitar can't trap kill Starmie making it very easy to use Rapid Spin. Reflect also helps support the team quite a bit. Leftovers is the best item even though light clay may seem ideal but the extra recovery is often useful. The EVs allow for maximum bulk while still outrunning Adamant Heracross. The bad part about this Starmie is that it doesn't have access to T-bolt thus preventing it from serveing as a check to bulky waters such as Gyarados. If you want a more physical Starmie and don't care too much about Tyranitar trap killing then replace reflect with T-bolt and use a Timid nature with 136 HP/ 156 Def/ 216 Spe will work. Your team may actually benefit from Starmie's weakness to pursuit as it will let Weavile set up easily.

Next I suggest changing p2. In a metagame such as this p2 isn't as good as one may think. I've used it myself and didn't find it so useful. With Swampert and Gyarados on the team, p2 isn't countering anything they can't handle aside from the rare HP Grass Magnezone. In its place I would suggest a Rotom-H. You lack a solid counter to Metagross and Rotom-h can also deal with some other issues.

Rotom-H
Bold
252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 Spe
-Overheat
-T-bolt
-Shadow Ball
-W-o-W

This gives you an easier time with Gyarados and can cripple sweepers with w-o-w. Shadow Ball gives good coverage while overheat lets you deal more damage to steels. Rotom-C is an alternative with Leaf Storm to hit bulky waters.

Next, I suggest replacing Gengar with someone else since him and rotom have very similar typing. I would suggest a CB Scizor to have an easier time dealing with things like Salamence and providing some useful resists.

Scizor@ Choice Band
Adamant
248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 SDef
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Lastly, although you probably don't want to, I would suggest replacing Weavile with Latias. With your current team, you should have an extremely easy time sweeping with her late game. You have Magnezone support to deal with steels such as Scizor and have Rotom-C to deal with bulky ground and water types.

Latais@ Leftovers
Timid
128 HP/ 128 SAtk/ 252 Spe
-CM
-Dragon Pulse
-Refresh
-Recover

With steel types out of the way, Latias is a much more threatening sweeper than your Weavile. It has a much easier time setting up and isn't prone to things like Mach Punch. Refresh lets it take status and even set up on Blissey who is loses to Lati 1 vs. 1. Max speed is essential and the rest of the EVs allow for deent bulk and power. If not Lati then I would suggest Lucario who is better than Weavile in every way. He has STAB Close Combat, a powerful priority move, and has access to Crunch to help deal with things like Celebi. His typing is also much better making it very easy to set up.

If you do consider Lati then your team should look something like swampert, lati, zone, scizor, rotom-c, gyara( preferably rest talk due to a lack of recovery )

If you stick with Weavile then- pert, weavile, zone, rotom-c, gyara, starmie should due.

Good Luck

The one potential counter I see is Scarf Latias. It can come in on Starmie and Gyarados and threatens basically everything on your team with Draco Meteor, Surf, or Tbolt. The only thing on your team that can switch into Latias is Magnezone, and maybe Porygon. With your Naive nature, Magnezone will be taking about 47.5% damage from Draco Meteor. In other words, Maggy cannot switch into Draco Meteor twice. Porygon takes around 60% damage, making leaving him a sitting duck as they switch in something while you recover/ice beam/thunder wave.
Starmie takes minimum of 90% from Draco Meteor, Weavile and Gengar are OHKOd, and Gyarados is OHKOd by Tbolt.

Anyways, now that's over...counters! The definition of a counter is to be able to switch in and threaten. The only thing you can do is switch Porygon2 in, hopefully on the draco meteor, recover off the damage, and ice beam/twave. Now, Weavile can't revenge kill because he doesn't pack Pursuit. My suggestion would be to switch Starmie for Scarf Tyrannitar, who is quite a good anti-lead, and can pack pursuit to take out Latias. Take out Porygon2 for Swampert, who can also deal with Salamence, Gyarados, and Heatran, and can SR too.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

EV spread
Latias

How to fix:

First off let me say, this is a well-built team to work around Weavile. The glaring weakness I see is a solid counter to Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Recover / Refresh or Surf. There are no Pokemon changes, but just a couple of EV tweaks and moveset changes. Firstly, Gyarados is a main piece to the team and Waterfall + Earthquake is poor coverage. Your unable to hit Celebi, Dragon-types, especially Latias. Switch it to Return to give yourself a good Water / Normal combo only resisted by Empoleon and Shedinja. This way you can kill Latias. Weavile doesn't need Ice Shard because you have Porygon and Gyarados who are solid checks to Salamence. Ice Punch is more essential, outpacing Latias and hitting it harder. Other noteworthy things you'll hit harder is Hippowdon and Skarmory (catch it when its weakened). Overall solid team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)