If It's Broken, Why Fix It?

If It's Broken

Why Fix It?
An RMT by DEMo_Gorgon47

The Concept
As we all know, whether we accept it or not, the OU Metagame is extremely centralized. It is filled with overpowered and broken playstyles and Pokemon such as Rain and Genesect. So this is where my team was born. I aimed to show just how broken and unbalanced the Metagame really is. I decided to take a group of extremely broken Pokemon, put them on a team, and see how it faired-- and so far I haven't been disapointed. This team literally took 10 minutes to created, and it can relaibly take on much of the metagame. Now before I go any farther, I would like to give a shoutout to GaryTheGengar and CTC, whose RMT The Art of Peer Pressure, gave me some inspiration, as well as the sets for a few of my team members (namely Starmie). So now that I have given credit where it is due, please do not criticize me for the similarities between the teams, this team was never meant to be a bad copy cat team. I would also like to say that I cannot share any amazing battle stories where this team went toe-to-toe with some of the best players and teams on the ladder and won, nor do I myself have an impressive ladder ranking (I hover around the low 1700's). I play Pokemon for the fun and sport of it, and am very relaxed about it competitively. I do, however, believe this team has great potential, and in the hands of a very good battler would easily break into the top 100, probably even the top 25, and I really hope someone will use it and do that. But enough about me and history, let's move onto the team!!​

The Team Builidng Process

First off, I wanna say I hate all weather except hail. So immediately the broken playstyle of rain and abusing Tornadus-T is out. Yes, they are broken, but I just refuse to stoop to that level. Instead I looked to the fast paced offensive playstyle that the metagame has shifted towards. Immediately I had two broken Pokemon picked out; Rock Polish Genesect (which I have used since Genesect was releases) and Sub+SD Garchomp. Both posses amazing typing, superb movepools, great typing with numerous reistances, great bulk, and the ability to set up with great ease. Heck, they are both being considered for Ubers, so no wonder I am using them here.

With Garchomp and Genesect I already had a great offensive backbone in place, and really could take this team in any direction I wanted. But to stay in the broken spirit I wanted a Pokemon who could cause switches, leave dents in the foes, and easily take out a couple Pokemon per match. So I decided on Techniloom, another personal favorite of mine.​

Now my offensive core, as well as my lead core, was completed. From here i just had to patch up the weaknesses and glue the team. Looking at my team, I lacked an extremely bulky Ice and Dragon resist, a revenge killer, as well as way to get rid of the entry hazards that my team is extremely vunerable to. So without much thought I added GaryTheGengar and CTC's Starmie set and Choice Scarf Jirachi

From here all I really needed was some glue to hold the team together. Clearly at this point I had a weakness to Fighting and Ground type attacks, and to some extent Scizor and Terrakion. I also lacked a Stealth Rock user, as I did not want to risk having Jirachi locked into Stealth Rock and lose momentum. The only Pokemon in my mind that solved all those issues and filled all the requirements was Landorus-T's defensive pivot set. And once I added him I never regretted it, his ability to check physical attackers has saved me so many times its not even funny.

After playing around a bit and asking the advice of raters, I realized Starmie just wasn't pulling the wieght I expected it too. Yes, the set is amazing, but if you look at my team, no member is Stealth Rock weak. In fact, several members are resistant to it in fact. And as far as Spikes and Toxic Spikes go, they aren't as threatening thanks to my team's ability to reliably put presure on most of the metagame's spikers and stop them from setting up. So Starmie left, and in its place came Specially Defensive Rotom-W, and it has been great. It can reliably check all the biggest threats to my team, and in conjunction with Landorus-T and Jirachi, it makes a great defensive core to compliment my offensive core.​

And that is my [new] final team as it stands right now.​

The Team In Detail

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EV's: 4HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Substitute
- Sword Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake​

The once banished king of OU has returned from tier of legends to wreck havoc upon the mortals in the metagame. Seriously, this guy is a beast. He is one of my three main leads, often times leading against Sun teams (For some reason people always Will-o-Wisp first, then switch). Setting up a Substitute is ridiculously easy, and then netting a Sword Dance is just cake. Even without a boost, this guy still punches holes though teams. If he doesn't lead, he then usually takes the role of late game sweeper, wrapping up the work the rest of the team did. His bulk is just amazing. I'm not kidding when I say he tanked a Mamoswine's Ice Shard and KO'd back, he is that strong! But then again, what do you expect from a Pokemon who has been banned to Ubers for nearly two and half generations?​

Genesect (-) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Download
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EV's: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain​

The picture says it all: Genesect is firing his lazah, and you are in the way! Rock Polish Genesect is a favorite set of mine, and I have been using it since way back when everyone and their brother were using Choice Scarf Genesect. With unparalled coverage and the ability to get to +1 SpA and +2 Spe, it is easy to see why he is so broken. This guy will usually net me a whole host of Pokemon. Yeah, Genesect is great, and I love him to death, but seriously, he is SO broken!!​

Breloom (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EV's: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spe
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
-Stone Edge​

I love Techniloom as much as I hate it. It is so versatile and threating most players are hard pressed to NOT have to sack something to it, and that goes for me as well when I face one. I run a rather unconventional Techniloom. I believe that it is a waste to max out Breloom's, as you really aren't outpacing any key threats, meanwhile by adding the HP EV's I can tank a Mamoswine's Ice Shard (because no one ever uses Icicle Crash against Breloom), and KO back with Bullet Seed or Mach Punch. I used to run Sword Dance, but I never used it, and it would piss me off to no end when someone would send in their Sleep Talking Tornudus-T and force me to switch to Jirachi. So now Stone Edge is there. Leftovers is there for longevity, as I believe that the power drop from using LO is made up for in the fact that I can attack more times than a standard Techniloom. 16 Speed EV's are there so I can super speed creep unboosted base 70's.​

Jirachi (-) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace​

Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EV's: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe​

- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

- U-turn
- Trick​

So cute, so small, and so... freakin' annoying!! I remember pulling my hair out every time I would be paraflinched haxed to death by this little guy. Now of course I love him, but still, sometimes GameFreak is just sadistic. Anyway, I owe many-a-battle to this little pixie. His great immunities and stats have allowed him to tank hits and flinch hax to death back. Unfortunately for me, my luck sucks, so instead of what should be a 60% flinch rate, I seem to have more of a 10%... ah well, Jirachi has still saved me and serves as a great check to Tornadus-T. As usual, the 4 SpD EV's stop Genesect from getting a +SpA boost on this guy.​

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate​

Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EV's: 196 HP/96 Atk/216 Def

- Stealth Rock​

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

- U-Turn​

Yeah, he is looking at you punk, got a problem with him? Just kidding. But anyway, Landorus-T is my glue (more like putty really) to the team. He fills the gap in a defensive pivot, a Stealth Rock user, and the second part of my U-turn group. While he doesnt fair great in the rain, he does he job fantastically in almost every other situation, and does a great job a checking Terrakion and other physical threats. A great Pokemon and a great addition to the team.​

Rotom-Wash (-) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
EV's: 248HP/ 32 SpA/228 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave​

Yes, as a matter of fact, you are indeed all washed up. Rotom-W filled the gap the Starmie left. He can reliably check most Pokemon that I struggle against, and forms a great defensive core with Jirachi and Landorus-T. Rotom-W can also spread around Paralysis, meaning Jirachi can perform the good old Paraflinch tactic with his assistance. And he makes a great counter to Rain, Sand Storm, and some Sun teams. While I do miss the ability to negate weather, Rotom-W has so many pros that outweigh the almost nonexistant cons it is worth it.
Conclusion

Overall I am very pleased with the results of this team. While I am sure it has some weaknesses *coughraincough* with some clever playing a prediction it can hold its own against most playstyles and threats the OU metagame can throw at it and usually come out on top. Well, thanks for reading everyone. I look forward to your rates. If you like the team and wanna give it a Luvdisc go ahead, and if you wanna try it out for yourself give it a whirl, I hope someone out here can crack the top 100 with it. Once again, thanks =D​

Threat List

I always have issues with Volcarona, especially if Stealth Rock isn't up. If it gets even one Quiver Dance on me it could be good game.

Gyarados is in a similar boat as Volcarona, I just have trouble with them. If he sets up I am in trouble.

I know Rotom-W takes care of them both to some extent (more so Gyarados than Volc IMO), they are still threats because of how well they set up. Volcarona is especially worrisome due to my lack of Rock-type moves.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Got your request :)

Cool team man, I can see the Peer Pressure vibe here haha

So the first thing I wanna recommend is something to help you with a load of your main threats, specifically Skarmory, Tornadus-T, Gyarados, and kinda Rain in general.

What I suggest is replacing Starmie with a Specially Defensive Rotom-W. The set I suggest is:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 32 SpA / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

While CTC and Gary's Starmie is no doubt a cool set I don't really see what its bringing to your team, you don't have any Stealth Rock weak 'mons at all. For that reason I think you should ditch it for the much more useful Rotom-W. This little washing machine brings with it a whole boat load of utility that your team really wants. Rotom-W makes one of the single best checks to Tornadus-T; it resists Hurricane and threatens a Super Effective Volt Switch, which if it switches out grabs you momentum. It forces Gyarados to have Substitute or fear for its safety as it resists its STABs and threatens with Volt Switch. It gives you an awesome Skarmory switch-in regardless of weather as it resists Skarmory's one useful attack, doesn't take Spikes damage and forces it out with again, Volt Switch. Specially Defensive Rotom-W is one of the premier Rain checks in general since it carries that powerful bulk and Water-type resist. Plus it forms a Volt-Turn combo with Landorus-T and Jirachi.

With that out of the way I also want to recommend Thunderbolt with Ice Beam on Genesect. I think you had Thunderbolt for Skarmorys in the Rain but with Rotom-W you should have fewer problems with that. Ice Beam provides much better coverage than Thunderbolt, especially as you already carry Giga Drain.

Good Luck!

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey

This team is cool but I think that you'll have issues dealing with most Dragons actually. First of all, whenever they get a DD, they will be able to cause a lot of damage to your team as it is difficult for you to revenge kill them and Landorus-T can't really keep up with all the attacking power they have if Stealth Rock is up and it's later in the game. A lot of your mons are just simple set up fodder for Dragons too, so you're in the right alley if you're searching for a beating. First of all I think that having both Thunderbolt and Giga Drain on Genesect is very redundant, as both hit Water types, but with a few different perks that give them a slight advantage over the other. Honestly I think that Ice Beam is superior to Thunderbolt for your current set. Ice Beam allows Genesect to hit every Dragon but Kyurem-B, which is defintely a nice bonus. You still keep the ability to hurt Jellicent n shit with Giga Drain so you're going to be fine. Otherwise Latios, Dragonite and friends just wall you to death which is not a good thing considering Dragons have such a great advantage over your team. Secondly, I would recommend dropping Fire Punch on Jirachi for Ice Punch. While Fire Punch OHKOes Genesect, Ice Punch allows you to revenge kill most Dragons easier which helps a lot when you let, let's say, Dragonite a free Dragon Dance by letting it switch into Breloom.

If you feel like you have issues against Rain teams, which is perfectly understandable considering Rain is so strong now, I would recommend dropping Garchomp and giving LO Latias a try instead. Latias still equips you with a very solid check to most Sun teams, which you seem to be using Garchomp for. What Latias brings to the table that Garchomp doesn't is a solid Water resist. Latias is able to tank multiple Rain boosted Hydro Pumps and Recover the lost HP back. Most Rain sweepers have issues getting past Latias since it outspeeds a lot of them and resists their STABs, and can then wreck them using STAB Draco Meteor.

I suggest you try out Scald instead of Hydro Pump on Starmie. Hydro Pump doesn't really fit your current moveset; it is a support Pokemon that checks stuff here and there and tries to spin away the opponent's hazards. However, if you're going to Rapid Spin, it means that Ferrothorn is going to switch into Starmie very often, making Starmie's job much more difficult as when your own Rapid Spinner becomes set up fodder for one of the most popular Spikers you're in trouble. With Scald, you can at least have a chance to burn Ferrothorn on the switch, which cripples it for the rest of the game, definetly a huge plus for Starmie's usefulness as it will then be able to spin easily. You aren't going to sweep anytime soon with an univested base 100 Special Attack anyway, so you don't need the extra power (and the chance to miss).

Here's the set you should use:

Latias @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 148 HP / 176 SpA / 184 Spe
~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Surf
~Recover

Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for all the rates! Actually, I had Ice Beam on Genesect, I messed up on the post, thanks for catching that though lol.

@JoeyBoy: I'll give Rotom-W a try, as you are right, SR really isn't an issue, and it takes care of most of my biggest threats.

@Jirachi: The problem with Latias is that it doesnt have the power of Garchomp, but I'll give it a try and see if the results are better. Thank you for the advice!

You asked for a rate. So there are some above so i just wont bother...

Heres the rate..
Your threat list. Looking at it the fix seems to be shouting at me. All of the pokemon on that list are week to either water or electric (can you see where im going with this?)

SCROTOM WASH????

Tornadus's hurricanes are resisted. However they still do a huge chunk if choice speced. So the only real solution is a Specially Defensive varient. (Rotom W is broken in this meta, it seems to fit on any team, and just work - thanks to the rain teams swimming around) Rotom W is the ultimate rain counter in this metagame. Kingdra is okay against rain offense but against rain stall its worthless) the Volt Switch and Hydro Pump combo, destroys a lot of teams, and really hurts when the opponant puts rain up.
Will O Wisp / Thunder wave will be very usefull. (This would be over Starmie) however the choice depends on what you struggle with. If you struggle with scizor or stall then Wisp, if you struggle with hyper offense then id go twave. The residual damage + attack drop is very helpfull and appears on most SpDef Rotom W varients.
The final moveslot will be to give you the most about of time to wreak havoc and its completely personal choice. I cant "split" the two really!
Pain Split or ChestoRest?
Pain Split is less reliable but has a multiple time use. Whereas Rest is really single use, but definatly works.

The Set

Rotom W @ Leftovers/ Chesto Berry
Calm : 252 Hp | 112 Spe | 144 SpDef
Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Wisp/ TWave | Pain Split/ Rest

Other than that, I cant think of anything, solid team.
Good luck

Editted my team and added Rotom-W. Please ignore the formatting, idk what happened and it refuses to be fixed. I plan on trying out LO Latias soon. Thanks for all the help, keep the rates coming, I'm sure there is more that can be done to help this team out.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey DEMo_Gorgon,

Cool team! Your team looks quite solid with the Rotom-W addition, as you get a much better answer to flying types, who were just a nuisance in general because you didn't have a bulky pokemon to help you take hits. Rotom-W solves that problem excellently, giving you strong electric STAB as well as water coverage to help you hit decently hard. Now comes some minor patch ups and move changes I think would best benefit your team.

To start off, I think your Landorus-T spread is inefficient. You've got your nature leaned the wrong way- making your attack lower and your defenses awkward. Because you're a tank, you want to keep some of the massive firepower Landorus-T has, so I suggest a spread of 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def Adamant instead of what you have now. You gain a lot of attack with Adamant, since Landorus-T's attack is naturally large boosting it by even 10% will give you more than boosting it's defense stat. In turn, Adamant lets you lose some attack evs and but them into bulk. You get a tiny bit more special defense, and though your defense may drop a bit because you're not using a boosting nature the difference isn't nearly as large as if you were to boost attack.

For Jirachi, I would also suggest Thunder Punch or Ice Punch instead of Trick. Being that Jirachi is a revenge killer, and also that it really needs it's Scarf to function, I don't think Trick will be as important as the ability to hit Salamences or Dragonites hard, since many of the pokemon that frequently switch into Jirachi (Ferro, Forretress, Poison Heal Gliscor) don't really mind the scarf at all, since they can all play well by just spamming one move. On the other hand, coming into a +1 Dragonite and then OHKO'ing it with Ice Punch or coming into a +1 Gyarados and OHKO'ing it with Thunder Punch will definitely be more useful in the long run. I personally recommend Ice Punch, but if you don't want to be redundant with Genesect then Thunder Punch is fine as well.

Good luck! I hope I helped!

Hey DEMo_Gorgon47! Our friend Don Honchkrolene sent me here :D Nice team!

Now as you have mentioned Volcarona and Gyarados are both pretty big threats to your team. An offensive Volcarona outspeeds your whole team at +1 and can hit Jirachi, Breloom and Genesect super effectively with Fire Blast, and he can hit Rotom-W super effectively with Giga Drain. Although he can't hit Garchomp and Landorus-T super effectively with Fire Blastdue to your team not having a weather effect like rain both these pokemon will easily be roasted by a +1 Fire Blast. You also mentioned Gyarados to be quite problemental. Because Gyarados outspeeds your whole team at +2 and can ohko your whole team with rain boosted +2 Waterfall and Bounce barring Rotom-W. Sun teams also look like a big threat to your team with your team carrying 3 Fire-type weaknesses and no weather effect to cance Chlorophyl sweepers +2 speed.

To help your team gain a check to Volcarona and help you against sun teams i suggest Shed Shell Heatran>Landorus-T being immune to Volcaronas Fire Blast due to Flash Fire and carrying a 4x resist to both Bug Buzz and Giga Drain Heatran gives your team an excellent check to Volcarona. Although Hidden Power [Ground] varaints of Volcarona can easily get past Heatran these varaints are usually walled by Rotom-W due to them having to drop Giga Drain to have Hidden Power [Ground]. With a Shed Shell Heatran can avoid being trapped by Dugtrio and can abuse boosted Fire Blast in sun and Earthpower to beat apposing Heatran and Ninetales, thus giving you a good check to sun teams. Although you do miss out on U-turn from Landorus-T you still have a great Volt Turn combo in Jirachi and Rotom-W. Heatran also sets up Stealth Rock and has Ground-type coverage like Landorus-T so losing Landorus-T isn't bad at all for your team.

With Heatran in your team, your team is much better equiped to handle sun and Volcarona. However Gyarados is still a big threat to your team. To help with this problem i second Electrolytes suggestion of Thunderpunch>Trick on Jirachi. This lets you switch in in on +1 Gyarados outspeed it and ohko with Thunderpunch if it is not holding a Wacan Berry. Trick isn't really needed on your Jirachi as you miss out on some much needed coverage.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Heatran @ Shed Shell | Flash Fire
Timid | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Stealth Rock | Fire Blast | Earthpower | Hidden Power [Ice]

Tl;dr

Heatran--->Landorus-T

Jirachi
.Thunderpunch--->Trick

~Superpowerdude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)