Ima Competitive n00b - help appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well considering this is my first post, I should explain why I joined smogon. Since I'm new please don't hesitate to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong, or delete/edit anything I may post that is unfavorable. For literally years I've always came here for what basic information I could understand about battling but could never quite grasp the entire competitive battling scene no matter how hard I tried. I had always wanted to join the smogon forums or battle/get RMTs from sites like bulbapedia and serebii but I was too intimidated. Stats are something that is hard for me to fully understand, I would start by asking simple questions but there aren't really help forums here from what I could find, or even intro forums. So I felt that my first step would be to make a RMT thread. I'm not the fastest learner, especially when it comes to math and numbers, that's why I've always been afraid of stepping into the world of competitive battling. But when X and Y came out I wanted to give it a try, so here I am! I know I can learn if I'm able to get detailed information, I'm communicative and good at focusing. I'm also VERY open to critique.

About my teams development

- SO, I do have 6 Pokemon I decided on luckily. But if any changes need to made I'm pretty open. I'm best with ghost psychic and darks so I usually need at least one of those in my team for I find Sp.Atk moves much more powerful and those types are super effective towards common types.

- My pokemons EVs are very estimated. Is that too much of a problem? I'm judging by vitamins and super training. I never battled for EVs before, I spend all my money on vitamins.

- I fail to know most competitive battling terminology and slang, be gentle. o-o

- You'll probably notice that I don't use over used pokemon, infact I use rarely used Pokemon. That's because I like being different. After I kill someone I want them to think "Wow, I never thought I would be beat by that pokemon... I must be a serious loser."

- I value Sp.Def, I don't know why but it's hard to come by in Pokemon.

- I do realize that some of these Pokemon may have to totally be replaced

Absol @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: Atk 60, Spe 30, Sp.Def 20
In all--- Atk 169, Def 95, Ap.Atk 112, Sp.Def 108, Spe 139.
Nature: Timid
~ Night Slash
~ Psycho Cut
~ Me First
~ Swords Dance
- Absol is the first mon because he can take a couple hits but "sweep" out some mons with attack in the beginning of the battle (With my random match up experience) Before he dies his rocky helmet can sometimes finish off his opponent that may have killed him. I would love to keep the absol I already have, it would mean quite a bit. He can definitely get more EVs at this point. -

Marowak @ Soft Sand
Trait: Lightning Rod
EVs: Sp.Def 50, Def 30, Atk 20, Hp 20
~ Bulldoze
~ Bonemerang
~ Double-Edgee
~ endeavor

- She's a decent in game Pokemon but I have a feeling shes hopeless in competitive judging by the information from smogon. she definitely isn't EVd like she should be. I intended to make her a tank, slow and steady, but I'm guessing that's not marowaks profession. -

Hypno @ Left Overs
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP, 52 Def, 204 SpD
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Toxic
~ Foul Play

-I'm chosing Specially Defensive on the smogon article. I like hypno because of his special defenses, and hes a good psychic. Plus he has a ghost move. Hopefully I can obtain him in Y.-

Chandelure @ choice specs
Trait: ???
EVs: 120 HP, 252 SpA, 8 SpD, 128 Spe
Nature: Modest
~ Fire Blast
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power Fighting
~ Trick
- choosing "choice specs" for all out Special attack-

Pryroar @ Flame plate
Trait: Rivalry
EVs: SpA 70, Spe 70
in all Atk 107, Def, 113, SpA 180, SpD 109, Spe 179
Nature: Hardy
~ Flamethrower?
~ Noble Roar
~ Overheat
~ Hyper Voice
- Another sweeper, I would prefer to keep this same Pryroar, I've grown pretty attached to her.-

Grow up asswipe.

So yeah you're new to this, I'm guessing this is an ingame RMT. If you want to get competitive battling at it's best, head over to pokemon showdown. You can use any pokemon allowed within whatever tier you want to play with all the items and moves you want. I would direct you to a guide but I don't think one exists yet for gen 6, just start playing around with stuff or copy the importable text from some other RMT that looks good into your teambuilder. I hope I helped, welcome to Smogon :)
Ok I will, yeah thanks that helps.

Hey, welcome to Smogon! Everyone's still getting the handle of the new game, especially with Pokebank not even a month around the corner. I'll try to do my best to help out though!

Chandelure's looks like the highest rated Poke on your tier (it's UU), though I'm not sure if Pyroar is stapled into OU though. So when you go to do your playthrough/games on Showdown, try to use UU, if Pyroar isn't banned there (which I don't think it should be). Before you try to catch or train any of your Pokes in game, you'd probably be best trying them out online and seeing what works.

Going to all the trouble of EV training and then finding out it doesn't work for you... would suck.

Firstly, rather than using Rocky Helmet Absol, I'd recommend Absol with Absolite. It can still fill about the same roll, but it'll be hitting harder and faster for you. A Timid nature for Absol is also boosting its Speed but lowering its Attack. Absol's monstrous attack once in its Mega will be it's selling point, so I'd recommend changing it to Naive - so you still get the speed boost, but you're lowering your special defense.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Super Luck | Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast/Me First
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Okay, for Absol this is what you should put in Showdown. You should mega-evolve her on the turn she comes out. Sucker Punch is stronger than Night Slash and has an increased priority, meaning Absol will most likely always move first (as long as your opponent isn't using a move of equal/greater priority). Your Chandlure is already running Fire Blast so you could keep Me First on Absol. Play Rough is for hitting Dragons which none of your other Pokes look like they can deal with. You know what Swords Dance is for, set up and sweep.

Marowak is a bit too frail and doesn't have enough HP to be a viable tank. A pokemon that you could be using with a similar typing/moves but hits harder and has more bulk is Rhyperior. Its tricky to get in game because you have to trade to evolve it but see how you like it on here.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Tail

With HP EVs and Special Defense, Rhyperior can be your tank yet still carry similar moves to Marowak. Earthquake is a more powerful Bulldoze, Dragon Tail will phaze pokemon and draw out other ones and Stone Edge will hit Flying types mainly.

You could continue using Hypno but another Psychic with better special defenses is Bronzong. It doesn't have the Wish that Hypno does so that may be a bit of a let down and make it a tad weaker overall, but it also can hit back a bit harder.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Zen Headbutt

With Bronzong, you now have a physical tank and a special tank in Rhyperior. Bronzong has Stealth Rock which deals damage to the opponent based on their rock weakness whenever they switch in. It's recommended to use it whenever possible. It knows Toxic like Hypno so it can whittle down enemies. Zen Headbutt and Gyro Ball are your STAB (same type attack bonus) moves.

Chandelure's moveset is about right, the only thing that should be changed is its EVs. Shadow Tag should be run as its ability, meaning it traps its opponents preventing them from escaping until it dies.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Trick

Pyroar should run a Life Orb over a Flame Plate, meaning it gets 1.3x damage to all its attacks, but loses 1/10 of its health every turn. For an ability, Moxie is preferred or Unnerve, Rivalry means it'll lower its attack/special attack by 25% when facing pokemon of the opposite gender, the opposite for those of the same. It's EV stats are good so far though, just get a little more in them. Hardy isn't a bad nature either for playing in-game, just means it's not getting any of its stats buffed/lowered by its nature. You can still use your same Pyroar, I'd just change up its attacks a bit.

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Ice
- Will-O-Wisp

Hidden Power Grass helps fix Rhyperior's weakness to Grass. Will-O-Wisp is passive damage like Toxic on Bronzong.

What's your sixth Pokemon too? You should run another attacker, as you already have defensive Pokemon and two special attackers. To help your fighting weakness and your ground weakness, I'm going to recommend Victreebel. Victreebel can also make use of a Life Orb set, running Leaf Blade for STAB. Growth rasies your Attack and Special Attack every time you use it. Sludge Bomb is special attack but it's mainly for Fairies.

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb

Try some of it out and see how it goes. Good luck!

ss234

bop.
shadow tag is illegal on chandelure fyi, seeing as its hidden ability became infiltrator in xy and shadow tag wasn't released in bw.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm going to lock this since this forum is for competitive teams only and your descriptions are not good enough. However, all of these posts are pretty good advice, so you should follow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)