Importance of Wish passing in UU

Many times in my battles in UU, I see defensive cores including 'mons like Blastoise, Bronzong, Cofagrigus, Registeel, even Snorlax-- basically, Pokemon without reliable recovery outside of Rest. However, after 1-2 switches into Heracross/Flygon/Raikou/Chandelure, these walls all crumble to the threats they are designed to counter.

Teams that use such walls, without a reliable Pokemon to pass Wishes, are on a very limited clock in the scope of a match. Which is why I am surprised at how few people use Umbreon (arguably the most viable Wish passer in the tier), Alomomola, or even Clefable or Xatu to fill this role.

My personal favorite to use is Alomomola, as it is among the most physically bulky Pokemon in the metagame. It has everything you want in a wall- huge bulk, recovery (Wish and Regenerator), and two ways to status. Granted, it has next to no offensive presence, so anything with a sub (Looking at you, SubCM Raikou) sets up all over it.

However, Wish passing with Alomomola allows Pokemon like Lanturn, Snorlax, and Swampert to wear down and eventually beat all of the giant fish's counters, leaving it free to toxic stall or burn the rest of the team. As tedious as this sounds, it is extremely viable considering that only a handful of physical attackers can break through Alom (boosting Virizion and Guts Hera are pretty much it).

A typical scenario would be switching Alom/Umbreon into Darm/Zapdos, Wishing on the switch, and then switching into whichever counters or checks what the opponent brought in. Alomomola is perfectly suited to this because of regenerator, allowing it to do this repeatedly in one match.

But Alom is almost never used, and Umbreon is equally shunned. My question is why people use expendable walls like the aforementioned without a Wish Passer. I'd like to hear other's inputs on this

Alomomola is a rather limited pokemon that happens to have the typing Blastoise who is in turn the best Rapidspinner in the meta, even in RU it's rather unimpressive at its job and allows many pokemon to set up freely on it. It's poor at everything other than Wish passing, and it's not that good at wish passing either. Raikou or Roserade can ruin your game by switching on it and setting up and laying hazards with impunity.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wish passing isn't nearly that vital. Heavy offense has basically no need for it, since it's aiming to move fast and break open holes to sweep through. A more tanky team could use it... but a lot of tanks have instant recovery (Slowbro, Roserade, Crobat). So it's potentially useful, but not the most important thing in the world.

Do keep in mind that a Wish pass is often a guaranteed free turn to get a double switch in or to set up something. Often I can bring in Cobalion on an Umbreon and get a free Stealth Rock no matter what, for example.

Spending two turns on recovery is a huge momentum killer. What's the point of Wish when the poke your passing to is forced out the very next turn? Something else has to take a hit and round & round you go. You're better off replacing it with another utility move. Wish isn't even that useful on Umbreon anymore. I got above 15 on the Showdown ladder using a set with Moonlight.

Umbreon won my several games in UU due to its ability to just pass huge wishes, and use Yawn on things that try to stop Umbreon, such as Roserade, Gligar, and Bronzong to annoy them. Once I went Yawn > Toxic, Umbreon's switches were wanting to kill him, but could not without falling asleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)