improving my VGC team

So I have this team that I'm working on mastering, and so far it's helped me win 3 VGC tournaments on Pokemon Showdown. I'm posting this team on here so that people may evaluate it and criticize it to further improve on it. My team is as follows:

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Air Cutter
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

- I've personally discovered this yanmega set to be really good in VGC, mostly due to its stab flying move air cutter that attacks two pokemon simultaneously. This has helped me against pokemon that utilize Rage Powder and Follow Me, also dealing with the likes of gastrodon and other water types while recovering HP in the process. I usually use him with Sableye because opponents will want to Fake Out yanmega in order to expose him. The only counter I've seen to date is feint from a weavile, which leaves yanmega completely out on the open. Other than that though, I think its great. Too bad it doesnt kill abomasnows so easily unless you use Bug Buzz.

Politoed (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Aside from fulfilling its main purpose of setting up rain to counter sand teams, politoed has proven to be a vital member by using hypnosis to put potential threats to sleep. Also, since there is no sleep clause, I can do this to two pokemon in subsequent turns which gives me an annoying, yet clear advantage. I usually use him in combination with Kingdra, and I prefer surf over scald for more power and attacking two pokemon. Even though gastrodon will get a special attack boost but by putting Gastrodon to sleep I can neutralize it temporarily. Situs Berry is for HP recovery, but I'm debating switching it with leftovers. You will see why later on.

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Obvious pokemon to use in a rain team, mostly for its ability. It also helps in dealing with major dragon threats, such as Garchomp and Salamence. I've discovered that most Intimidate Salamences in the VGC metagame are specially based (not sure why), but nonetheless Kingdra can easily deal with them. I put muddy water instead of surf in order to potentially lower the accuracy of my opponent's pokemon. At the cost of some power, complimented by the rain anyway, I can induce some degree of hax which may be the difference between victory and defeat in a match.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rock Slide

-this Mamoswine set was meant to be versatile in every weather possible. Focus Sash allows it to survive with one HP in the rain. Due to its ice typing, it endures hail. Due to its ground typing, it endures sandstorm. As for sun, thick fat may not be enough but I have the focus sash just in case. I replaced Endeavor with Protect because I don't always have the chance to use Endeavor to reduce other pokemon's HP to one. Comparing this pokemon to a LV1 aron is futile. Mamoswine has been proven to serve his purpose nonetheless, but I'm debating if his ability is a good one to use for this team or not.

Sableye @ Mental Herb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Confuse Ray
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

- one of my favorite pranksters in the current metagame. Even though prankster thunder wave on thundurus is nice, ice type moves are incredibly common and easily take out thundurus. Confuse Ray has saved me in ways beyond comprehensible. I was considering replacing will-o-wisp with toxic, but dealing with physical attackers is essential in order for my special attackers to survive longer. The Mental Herb ensures that other taunters will not neutralize it easily, as I require taunt to deal with trick rooms and spore amoongus and brelooms. Trick room teams are easily countered with sableye, though sometimes opponents will have two pokemon that can set up trick room. That's where all the protects come into play. I initially had leftovers on this sableye for more HP recovering, but this Sableye set is meant to prevent other pokemon from attacking more than stall potential threats.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Protect

-Guts. Max Attack. Priority Mach Punch. All these elements combine together to form a great offensive powerhouse in Conkeldurr. He easily deals with mamoswine and any pokemon weak to fighting. Not to mention a Guts boosted Ice Punch from Conkeldurr easily OHKO's Zapdos (based on my experience). I put the flame orb in conjunction with protect in order for conkeldurr to last longer. While Toxic Orb decreases health by 1/16 every turn, it gradually adds onto it and reduces Conkeldurr's survivability (at least on this particular set) even further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)