In-Game Metagame

We are basing Shoddy battle after Wi-fi conditions/tournament standards. Conditions that force you to have fully healed pokemon without status ailments at the beginning of every match. Would it not open up new move sets and strategies if we created a metagame based off the in-game world of pokemon?

In game, you have the choice between healing your pokemon with an item/running to the pokemon center, soft-boil..etc. OR continuing your trek through the wilderness with a poisoned ally at below 50% hp, encountering wild pokes and battlers alike. Given the choice to NOT heal your pokemon will aid in semi-ignored/overshadowed strategies that benefit from being at low hp (endeavor, reversal, flail), and status inflicting yourself (facade, Guts) without the need to hold certain items.

Inevitably, certain moves and pokemon will rise in popularity and pre-existing OU mons will be given a run for their money when faced with these new possibilities. Thoughts?

I'm sorry, are you assuming that I'm suggesting we use items? That's not what i intended at all. The inclusion of this idea into the preexisting metagame wont be terribly ground breaking, but I think moves like spore, t-wave and will-o-wisp will go down in use if pokemon come into battle already burned,frozen..etc. Items used in the games "bag" will not be an option, just the option to go into battle with weakened pokemon

strill, this would be a horrible idea, though it's as bad as when someone suggested that you should have to wait like a month to make you team on Shoddy to emulate breeding a team.

I think I also saw that thread and I'm sure it was meant to be satirical. He was clearly being sarcastic in trying to show that a glitch, of all things, would be implemented into shoddy 2. sorry if that wasn't the same thread your talking about. I would appreciate it if you told be why you think this (my idea, not glitch guy) would be a bad idea

And may I ask how do you want to accomplish the creation of this metagame? Does the player himself just decide how HP or what status it will get? What are the limits of these settings? Are there any advantages in this metagame compared with the current metagame? The idea may look nice, but there are too many holes in it to call it a good concept. Therefore I think it's a unaccomplishable idea

Thank you Yehom. You seem to be the only one who actually read my post and gave me some constructive feedback on the idea. The post in no way suggested being a pokemon RPG or wanting shoddy to be a RPG. I intended to get some general feedback before I went and posted all the specifics. Once i figure out all the holes I will post a clearer concept.

The biggest problem with allowing the user to choose their own HP and status before each battle is that it takes Shoddy further away from its roots as a Wifi/tournament simulator. Sure, it would produce a different metagame - but 'different' isn't always good.

Shoddy's #1 mission is to create a way to have Pokemon battles online as if you were both standing next to each other with GameBoys. That is not well-served by changing the rules, even if it might produce a more interesting metagame.

Shoddy Battle is based off the DS games, yes, it is a simulator.

However, it is not an In-Game simulator, but a simulator of battles under Wi-Fi conditions, where there are no useable items allowed, except hold items, and you are fully healed before the battle begins.

Basing off the in-game world, where you run to heal is pretty pointless. If that's the case, consider the time between ending a game and clicking 'Find' your 'run and heal' thing.

Basing off the in-game world, where you run to heal is pretty pointless. If that's the case, consider the time between ending a game and clicking 'Find' your 'run and heal' thing.
I agree with this.

So you have the choice of having breloom already posioned and then give him leftovers and to be honest the only pokemon that would probaly use the options are the breloom and clefable

There are pokemon RPGs already out there. Shoddy is not one.
Although maybe not for much longer (lolz)

I agree with this point, thought. That's not what Shoddy was designed to do and to be. Shoddy is Open Source, so if you have the programming knowhow, you can modify it as you see fit.

On the other hand, I think having the option of Pokemon coming in wounded/ para/burn/poisoned would be neat as an add-on, either for Battle Arcade-style battles, or for handicapping (again--as a side-project. Not suggesting this should be part of the ladder).

Yes I would think revives and full heals would ruin the point, moves like slack off and rest would not even be used and Embargo would be a must-have move for every team.

I was thinking about your idea, but its so improbably to get the exact condition of your pokemon you want. If you want your pokemon to come in poisoned, use a toxic orb. Realistically, how would you get your pokemon to a specific amount of hp before a battle? How would you make sure you had a particular status when you enter a battle? Items are a horrible idea drop that totally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)