Incomparable (4th gen UU RMT)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Incomparable

On December 2, 2011, Smogon user Malekith posted a signup thread for a tournament known as UU Olympus. I saw the thread on the recent posts list while browsing, and I thought it would be fun. However, I was immediately faced with a problem.

What was the problem, you may ask? Well, for one I had no good BW UU teams, and I had never played DPP UU. I wasn't planning on playing ADV UU anytime soon (I barely do well in ADV OU, what makes you think I'd do well in ADV UU?), so I decided: Make a team for DPP UU, and use it in the tournament. This team was born.

The team has gone through heavy modification since its original creation in the beginning of December, with very frequent member changes. In mid-December, shortly before my battle vs. Agammemnon, I managed to get the team to its current and arguably best form, with the help of my UU Olympus teammate Raseri.

This is the team.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Frustration
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Kangaskhan in the lead spot seems like a pretty terrible idea, but my idea here is to have a Fake Out lead that can actually hurt the occasional Spiritomb lead who attempts to trap the ever-so-predictable Ambipom lead with Pursuit. Outside of the lead spot, it also serves a useful utility in its stellar Normal+Fighting coverage thanks to Scrappy, only resisted by Shedinja who is pretty much nonexistent. This also lets me deal with most variants of Spiritomb easily, since Hammer Arm will hit Spiritomb for super effective damage due to Scrappy ignoring the immunity.

Frustration is for a respectable-power non-recoil STAB attack and I'm too lazy to change my happiness values. I run Hammer Arm over Low Kick because Hammer Arm will hit Spiritomb almost as hard, and also hits Chansey harder than Low Kick. Sucker Punch lets me bypass faster foes, while Fake Out lets me break Focus Sashes on leads like Qwilfish who may commonly carry it.

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse

This is the only member of my team that has stayed on the team with no modifications whatsoever. From what I've heard about DPP UU, Alakazam seems like one of the most dangerous threats, and ignoring it is PokeSuicide. Spiritomb is without a doubt the best counter to Alakazam, sporting an immunity to both of its most powerful attacks: Psychic and Focus Blast, and also neutral to all of the coverage moves it can carry (i.e. Shadow Ball) due to its incredible Ghost/Dark typing. To make everything even better, Spiritomb has access to STAB Pursuit to eradicate Alakazam before it can switch out.

Shadow Sneak gives me access to some priority to pick off faster, weakened foes with reliability, such as Alakazam and Mismagius, should they attempt to stay in. Pursuit is the main reason why I've used Spiritomb on all of the forms of this team, as it will punish Alakazam and Mismagius for switching out, making the jobs of my team members a lot easier. Psychic in particular nails Toxicroak (won't OHKO, but does bring it down into the range that Shadow Sneak will KO) and hits Fighting-types like Blaziken who think they can safely switch in on a Dark Pulse. Speaking of Dark Pulse, I use it on this set because it will hit Uxie harder than any of Spiritomb's attacks.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

This spot on the team had been occupied by Blaziken, Arcanine, and Rhyperior prior to Venusaur taking it over. Raseri suggested it to me when I found I was having troubles with Electric-types, which Rhyperior couldn't cover due to not liking Grass attacks, or Special hits in general. It's been truly incredible. Sleep Powder is just amazing for allowing me to end an Absol sweep before it can cut through my team like a hot knife through butter, hit hard with Leaf Storm which helps me kill Milotic, and just when you thought it was almost dead, nope! Synthesis.

Leaf Storm is my STAB move of choice because I need Venusaur to hit as hard as possible. Sludge Bomb is to hit the Grass-types that resist Leaf Storm, Sleep Powder lets me put a potential counter to sleep, and then Synthesis lets me recover damage from Life Orb.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Haze
- Recover

Milotic is the best wall in the DPP UU metagame. It trolls by switching in on Will-O-Wisps (Sweet!) and Thunder Waves (Even better!), then takes hits all day, doesn't die, and just recovers the damage taken like it was nothing. Milotic is my primary switch-in against Fire-type powerhouses such as Blaziken, Charizard, and Arcanine, taking them on quite easily.

Surf is for a STAB move to actually hit the Fire-types I intend to wall, and then Hidden Power Grass lets me hit opposing Waters, as well as the occasional Gastrodon/Quagsire. I run Haze over Ice Beam because I have Altaria pretty well covered already, and I need a reliable way of beating Calm Mind Spiritomb/Slowbro. Recover lets me heal all the damage taken.

Absol (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Absol is, along with Spiritomb, one of the two members to never leave the team. Absol is just a complete monster; a +2 Sucker Punch OHKOs Primeape! Hitmonlee will also struggle to hurt Absol unless it has Mach Punch. Registeel? I don't think so mate. Chansey? Nice try.

Adamant is the chosen nature because Absol will not be outspeeding anything significant by going Jolly, except maybe Adamant Choice Band Blaziken, but it's not like that matters anyway because I do not run Psycho Cut.

Swords Dance lets me boost Absol's already sky-high Attack to godlike levels, and then Sucker Punch somewhat makes up for the Speed problem. Superpower lets me actually hurt Registeel and Chansey, and Night Slash is for a reliable (not Sucker Punch) STAB attack to hit the walls that Absol cannot hit super effectively.

Primeape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Primeape was, honestly, the last Pokemon I would have considered adding. That base 105 Attack is truly miserable. This was another suggestion Raseri made, and it has honestly helped me a lot.

The first Pokemon to occupy the spot of fast, hard-hitter was Dugtrio. However, Dugtrio and its frailness making Lucario up in OU look like it takes hits like Wonder Guard Spiritomb has never ended up particularly impressing me. Swellow was my next choice. Swellow, while an amazing late-game cleaner, just died too quickly due to Toxic Orb, Stealth Rock, and Brave Bird recoil all working against it. Choice Scarf Medicham occupied this spot before Primeape, and even though it was good for bypassing Sucker Punch with Trick, that limited its ability to revenge kill in the late game. Finally, I'd end up actually using Primeape, and it's been truly incredible, combining the scouting ability of Swellow, Altaria-killing ability of Medicham, and that nice bonus that with its Vital Spirit ability, it makes an almost flawless switch-in on the Sleep Powder-carrying Grass-types that litter the tier.

U-turn is the draw to this Primeape set, as it lets me scout for switches. Close Combat is for STAB, as it is the most powerful Fighting-type attack in DPP, excluding Focus Punch. Stone Edge allows me to actually hit Moltres, while Ice Punch is for Altaria.

So, I hope you enjoyed this RMT! Rate, hate, whatever floats your boat.

Also, whoever can name which band released the album I got the RMT title from gets a cookie.

I will give this team a 9/10. Overall an excellent team but if most of them really are shiny I'm going to have to call lol hax. Although I do love a blue tinted Umbreon as much as the next guy. Rate my team too.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I will give this team a 9/10. Overall an excellent team but if most of them really are shiny I'm going to have to call lol hax. Although I do love a blue tinted Umbreon as much as the next guy. Rate my team too.
I play this team primarily on a simulator due to the UU Olympus tournament, though I do also have it on my SoulSilver cartridge, via Pokegen, putting legal EVs and abilities on each one. I can show you pictures of each Pokemon's stats if you do not believe me.

My Spiritomb and Absol on cartridge are shiny. Who cares? If I like the Pokemon's shiny form, I'm going to make it shiny when I make the Pokemon in Pokegen. Believe it or not, most players on Smogon use RNG or Pokesav in some way, because conventional chain-breeding and EV training simply takes too long.

Hi LucarorkZ, nice team.

The biggest problem I see is a major weakness to entry hazards. You have no spinner, and all your pokemon are grounded. Even with Venusaur to absorb Toxic Spikes, all of your other members are going to be easy pickings for a well-made stall team. On a related note, none of your pokemon enjoy switching into an Earthquake, meaning pokemon such as Donphan can give this team major headaches.

Luckily, there's an easy solution: replace Kangashkan with Claydol.

Claydol@Leftovers
Relaxed Nature, 252 HP/ 144Def/112SpA
Stealth Rocks
Rapid Spin
Earth Power
Ice Beam

Claydol gives you a much-needed Rapid Spinner, which helps immensely with opposing Stall teams. In addition, he gives you a much needed Ground immunity, and resists the infamous EdgeQuake combo to boot. Stealth Rocks are the best move in the game, and can help your sweepers pick up a few extra KOs. Earth Power is your obligatory STAB, while Ice Beam gives you a way of dealing with Altaria and Ghosts trying to block your Spin. If these pokemon don't concern you, Explosion can be run in the last slot instead to take out a nuisance to your team.

Everything else looks solid. Again, nice team and good luck!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Claydol might work out for a spinner, though I might need to run Lum Berry on Absol to beat 252/4 Spiritomb with some prior damage. I'll try it out, thanks for the rate.

Pretty weak to just about any form of UU stall. Standard Venusaur + Milotic + Fire + Spinner + Ghost (especially if it has Will-O-Wisp) + Spikes can just switch around without having to predict at all, grab a layer here and there and then wear you down. Absol is more or less your best shot at breaking it, but bulky Hitmontop is so common so I wouldn't count on coming out on top (HAH a pun), plus Rotom or Mismagius can simply Will-O-Wisp you.

There are a couple of really easy things you can do to fix this up. For one, you can just run Psycho Cut in Night Slash's place on Absol so that you don't have to worry about Hitmontop or Weezing from walling you. Secondly, I think you could do pretty well with Swords Dance Blaziken in Primeape's place. After a boost you can OHKO Milotic with Superpower, and then just blast pretty much any other stall Poke in sight. This works especially well with Psycho Cut on Absol since eliminating Hitmontop / Weezing will definitely be handy. Also a FWG core of your own will definitely not hurt at all when trying to take on the likes of Venusaur.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Iconic in the Psycho Cut over Night Slash would give more power to Absol to break through stall. In combination with this I would recommend a specially defensive Venusaur instead with the following set:

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/16 Spd/240 SpDef
Sassy nature (+SpDef,-Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

This gives you the ability to beat the standard bulky Waters in UU as well as a strong core between Milotic and Venusaur. It also gives you a solid counter/check to almost all varieties of Sceptile and other Venusaur.

Primeape is also a little weak with a Choice Scarf and so I would replace it with either SD or Scarfed Blaziken. These would give you supreme stallbreaking and revenge killing respectively, as well as an end-game sweeper. This change would also give you a FWG core, allowing for better defensive synergy.

If it's ok with you, I'll test out the team myself and elaborate later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)