Individuality - Care for our noobs! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lo!

So im on a couple of these forums, this one being the most "serious" one.
One day while reading one of them I stumbled across a post that caught my eye.
It was this new kid posting something about how he thought that it was strange that everyone used legendaries on their teams.
Many tryed to kindly explain to the kid that "ubers" and "legendaries" are seldome the same.
And even thought he might have gotten some facts wrong I think I understand what he was trying to say.

Rather than asking why do ppl use legendaries, I would rather like to ask why does everyone use the same pokemon? In general.
Yes I do agree I see some originality here and there, but I see ALOT of teams use the OU of the OU.
Blissey is a good exaple... Who the hell finds blissey to be a cool pokemon? Its really good yes... but cool? no... well ok some select few might, but not 80% of the battling comunity.
So is winning that important? Well to most people it obviously is.
Now the main reson for this is probobly that everytime a new guy (like myself) Comes into these forums with no experience and been working on a team from what pokemon he likes not wich are the best.
And rather than looking at the team and going: "Hmm, okay this is an intresting team and looks cool, thought U might wanna think over some movesets so that the pokeon compliment eachother" etc etc.
U go: "LoL why are u using that, this OU pokemon is alot better at everything then that pokemon.
¨
Its the same deal with my team, sure I had some OU pokemon, but I chose them in crystal and red version as some of my favorites when I was a young boy, long before knowing anything about competetive battling.
And when I publiched my team, the entire forums goes "this pokemon is not OU so it should be replaced"
Seriously, I hate that! I dont know about U guys, but im playing to win, but im sure as hell is going to do it my way.
But its not like I dont whant the opinions when asking for help, but rather then replacing, maybe we should start by trying to fix, or atleast ask if they really whant that pokemon or are willing to change it.
So think about what your saying to the "new guy", maybe your shouldnt try and change the way he thinks, but flip the coint and look at the other side, and help this kid get battle ready with the hand that he has given u!

So think about that, its not easy being a noob and being told to be like everyone els.

Damn this became long really fast.

Just my 2cents anyway, Laters

Well personally when I make a team I have more fun having something that works than using a certain sprite that looks cool. Basically to me all the pokemon are exactly the same and the only deciding factors in using them for me are type, moves, stats ect. If you are a casual player use whatever you want, but competitivly favorites or "cool" things have no value.

Yeah, I sort of get annoyed when people look through a team, pick out the UU pokemon and say "replace UU (X) with OU (Y) because it's better". Sometimes people want to win AND have cool pokes at the same time. And just because something is UU doesn't mean it's not good, it's just not very powerful.

Take Tentacruel for example. People never used him until they discovered it's niche, and now it's OU... no ones complaining anymore. Same with Nidoking... I know you team rating people are trying to help other people make good competitive teams, but instead of ripping all the UU pokes out of it, try and look at the big picture and help the team work as a whole, even if it ends up including the UU pokes.

I mean, sure, you're playing to win, but isn't there more to this game than winning? I would rather win 50% of the time with my personal favourites than 90% of the time with bog standard Garchump, Blissey, Gengar, Tyranitar, Gliscor, Lucario. (I actually like lucario though :P )

So yeah, I agree with you somewhat, I do get frusterated when people tell me to replace something cool for Garchomp, Gliscor or Gengar...

I enjoy winning as often as possible and as you (OP) knew before posting this rant that's the mindset a lot of players have. I'm not really sure what all the paragraphs are for.

I love this topic. I think it would get boring using the same Poke's over and over...

I always try to find a possible way to use BL/UU dudes on a competitive team. One advantage is that people may not know how to deal with some underused choices, and you can use that to as an element of surprise.

Plus it's fun to be a little unique. I've actually checked past threads with a cool/unique title name only to find it's the same team's anyway. Kinda disappointing.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can be as unique as you want after you learn how to play the game.

You're not going to learn how to play the game if you're using gimmicks or UUs to make you look "individual"

You learn how to play the game, learn how the metagame works. THEN you can start throwing in some "uncommon" pokemon that might better serve a given purpose in a given team.

People should shut up and realize it's not the Pokemon that makes you unique but your team, the combination of six, and the playing style.

Its posts like this that pisses me off.. seriously

"Heracross can also be an issue. With Snorlax and Gallade around already, why not use Weezing or Gliscor over Nidoking? They help with Heracross, AND Garchomp, and can hurt with Stealth Rocks or Will-O-Wisp to various things."

Gahhh! Just makes me mad ;P, thought the kid he is posting to might apriciate it... thought I wouldnt.

If that is a person view on pokemon good for them but this is clearly the wrong forum. This is a place for competitive pokemon battling and I think some people often overlook that. It is made for players to use the best possible option(OU) given to them to create a team of 6 pokemon that can win constantly. The point of this game is to win and they give us the best chance to do so.

Like Tangerine said you can be unique as you want once you learned the basics and the ideas of pokemon and then you can branch out and know how to effectively use UU or w/e pokemon.

You can be as unique as you want after you learn how to play the game.

You're not going to learn how to play the game if you're using gimmicks or UUs to make you look "individual"

You learn how to play the game, learn how the metagame works. THEN you can start throwing in some "uncommon" pokemon that might better serve a given purpose in a given team.

People should shut up and realize it's not the Pokemon that makes you unique but your team, the combination of six, and the playing style.

Its not the pokemon? well... ok I guess U can be original with some different moves... but lets face it, most pokemon only have 2-3 good movesets at max, and thats hard to overcome.
And just being original by changing the moves, just doesnt cut it. Not for me atleast.
But im not judging U, its totally fine with me if U wanna use OU as you are now, I wont critizese u, thats not what this thread is about.
This thread is about people like you, have to realize that not everyone thinks OU pokemon is a must in this game, and you need to learn to help people even if they are not willing to use OU pokemon.

Like Tangerine said you can be unique as you want once you learned the basics and the ideas of pokemon and then you can branch out and know how to effectively use UU or w/e pokemon.
Yeah I hear ya, but when people try to "branch out" someone often comes out with a chainsaw and cuts down the entire tree if U know what I mean.
Just because it isnt OU you cant get help around here?

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Then you are clearly at the wrong forum. This forum is for competitive play, not an attempt to flaunt what a unique snowflake you are.

Competitive play is defined simply. Exploiting and Utilizing the most effective method within a given set of boundaries. Why settle for imperfection or mediocrity when there might be something better? You need to know the boundaries and learn the game before you can start utilizing obscure stuff to it's advantage

I'll end with this. It's clear you have not read the rules of this Forum or the Philosophy of Smogon. Why should we care about your opinion when it's clear that you have put in zero effort into understanding this Forum?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know, I always understood that people used "u" instead of "you" because they were underprivileged and did not go to school. But what makes people use "U" and "u" randomly for the same thing? Do they get confused and think "U" is used like "I"? You also capitalize "I" and "Its" but not "im" which is quite interesting. I'd like to study you.

To respond to the topic at hand, you shouldn't be posting RMTs if you don't want advice. The person's advice you just posted is completely fine. There's a reason I didn't post my WiFi team on RMT. It's not meant to be 100% competitive. I figured for WiFi, I'd create a favourites team. Tsurukawa hit the nail on the head. These Pokemon are just numbers. That's how you play to win. That's how competition is at the top. If you want to be unique, there are plenty of websites that will give you a 10/10 for originality with absolutely no help in the battling aspect. People here can deal with some form of "I really like this and want to keep it" but if you come up with 6 Pokemon geared towards the same thing, you either have to change or play full well knowing your team sucks.

Hey! now w8 just a minute! I know exactly what this forum is about. 100%, and this is not about me pressing my opinion onto you, im just giving u the other side of the story. But if U wish to just neglect it, then thats fine with me. But dont make it sound like im some kind of atention seaking whore.

And just because I prefere to use a couple of BL instead of all OU that means im not wellcome in the competetive play "world" ?? Is that what your trying to say?'

Edit: Yeah nevermind.... its not like I wanted people to get upset... So just forget about it.

Yeah I hear ya, but when people try to "branch out" someone often comes out with a chainsaw and cuts down the entire tree if U know what I mean.
Just because it isnt OU you cant get help around here?
Did you just like totally ignore the first part of my post? As both Tangerine and I have stated this place is for competitive battling maybe you should check out this thread by one of the staff members,

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25788

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey! now w8 just a minute! I know exactly what this forum is about. 100%, and this is not about me pressing my opinion onto you, im just giving u the other side of the story. But if U wish to just neglect it, then thats fine with me. But dont make it sound like im some kind of atention seaking whore.

And just because I prefere to use a couple of BL instead of all OU that means im not wellcome in the competetive play "world" ?? Is that what your trying to say?
This is just you trying to use the fact that you use more than OUs as a crutch. Your team probably sucked. End of story. I can think of plenty of teams with BL or UU Pokemon who worked due to them bringing something interesting and useful for the team. For example, an Encore Raichu with Substitute to help set up a Bellyzard. Hey look, that's a BL and UU. What's not going to work is a Clefable with the same moveset as a Blissey and EVed the same way. Blissey's better in every aspect, use Blissey.

Also, I just looked over your posts and you seem to randomly put spaces between some paragraphs but not others. Again, very interesting ^_^

You know, I always understood that people used "u" instead of "you" because they were underprivileged and did not go to school. But what makes people use "U" and "u" randomly for the same thing? Do they get confused and think "U" is used like "I"? You also capitalize "I" and "Its" but not "im" which is quite interesting. I'd like to study you.

To respond to the topic at hand, you shouldn't be posting RMTs if you don't want advice. The person's advice you just posted is completely fine. There's a reason I didn't post my WiFi team on RMT. It's not meant to be 100% competitive. I figured for WiFi, I'd create a favourites team. Tsurukawa hit the nail on the head. These Pokemon are just numbers. That's how you play to win. That's how competition is at the top. If you want to be unique, there are plenty of websites that will give you a 10/10 for originality with absolutely no help in the battling aspect. People here can deal with some form of "I really like this and want to keep it" but if you come up with 6 Pokemon geared towards the same thing, you either have to change or play full well knowing your team sucks.

So yeah... ehm. Now lets see. I dont know if im supposed to apologize for not having english as my main language or if I should feel sorry for you since you somehow find yourself superior to me because of my lack of experience with the english language.

Mind you, but your an ass

Your typing is atrocias. Just had to say that.

I completely agree with what Tangerine just said to you. If someone is telling you to replace a UU with an OU, it's only because it's for the benefit of your team to help you become a better battler.

It's not like someone said,
"Heracross can also be an issue. With Snorlax and Gallade around already, why not use Weezing or Gliscor over Nidoking? They help with Heracross, AND Garchomp, and can hurt with Stealth Rocks or Will-O-Wisp to various things."
to bash on Nidoking and other UUs. It's just to help your team be the best it can be.

And just because I prefere to use a couple of BL instead of all OU that means im not wellcome in the competetive play "world" ?? Is that what your trying to say?'

Edit: Yeah nevermind.... its not like I wanted people to get upset... So just forget about it.
lulz

It's not that Smogon doesn't care about UU/BL Pokes, because many members enjoy using them. It's just people get riled up when someone creates "uze diffrnt pogeys!" threads.

I agree with Tangerine and goofball competely...

A perfect example for your argument is my Espeon team. It works yes, at times. But pokemon like Celebi is much better at whatever my team needs. So yeah, you can use whatever favorites you want in the begining, but as people get experienced with what pokemon are actually good, they will learn to use the OU of the OU in order to win.

This is just you trying to use the fact that you use more than OUs as a crutch. Your team probably sucked. End of story. I can think of plenty of teams with BL or UU Pokemon who worked due to them bringing something interesting and useful for the team. For example, an Encore Raichu with Substitute to help set up a Bellyzard. Hey look, that's a BL and UU. What's not going to work is a Clefable with the same moveset as a Blissey and EVed the same way. Blissey's better in every aspect, use Blissey.

Also, I just looked over your posts and you seem to randomly put spaces between some paragraphs but not others. Again, very interesting ^_^
I never said that U should use something like a Lapras and think it works the same way as CMcune does, your totally missing the point here, read my first post again.

You are very good at english, or so it would seem when your talking about my spelling mistakes, yet you cant comprehend the simple messege and have to try and over-analyze. Very intresting, might be studying you aswell.

If you want to talk about originality, go to serebii and marriland. Don't come complain to us. This site is 99% about the OU metagame.
EDIT: This is a very competitive site. Go look at our Wifi forum and check the IV's of the pokemon that we trade. Tell me what other Forum has legit pokemon being traded with amazing IV's

If you want to talk about originality, go to serebii and marriland. Don't come complain to us. This site is 99% about the OU metagame.
¨
oh dear god. now can everyone read.

IM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT ANYTHING!¨

Im just starting a discussion. Its not like im saying "You cant use OU pokemon anymore HAHAH" Ofcourse you can, I dont care!
Read the post again.

Edit: And im not saying everyone needs to be original, im just saying that the guys that DO wanna be original and still fight in the OU world should be able to do so. Maybe they wont succseed, maybe they will lose 100%straight. But atleast they tryed their on way.

Gah I cant even make my point right now, to tired. People are getting this all wrong and getting upset.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
You clearly misunderstood the purpose of the RMT forum.
You clearly don't play competitively.

This is why you are complaining by the rates (albeit yes, some rates in the RMT forum are pretty bad) that are given in the RMT forum. They will recommend OU pokemon, well, because it's effective and it helps the user! What the RMT forum is supposed to do is maximize of a potential of a team and the strategy that binds them together.

You are complaining because people are telling others "Use this OU pokemon instead, it does the job much better" or "Your team has this OU Pokemon as it's weakness so you should use this OU pokemon to counter it" etc etc. The thing is the RMT forum is geared towards a competitive environment and will rate according to what is current in the metagame.

You claim that you're not complaining but you sure sound like it. You are misunderstanding the posts in the RMT forum, we don't tell you to replace X with OU pokemon because X is not OU but because that OU Pokemon helps reach your team the full potential it might need in competitive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)