Inheritance [Prime Council Elected]

I definitely forgot about Volcanion. It'd be a great pokemon to inherit from, as well. In addition, I considered Storm Drain Gastrodon to be an inheriting opportunity, as it gets Earth Power and nice SpA boosts. Or, of course, there's good old Primal Groudon to be inherited, but it loses out on Trick Room entirely.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Either way, I feel like that if Volcanion is able to be inheriting from on the ladder. (I'm not sure if it is right now :/), .
if Caps were able to be inherited from at one point, it wouldnt shock me if volcanion is inheritable due to oversight. but i haven't seen it being used...so idk...

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Minor Changes:

Tyranitar: A ---> A-
The metagame isn't so kind to it, and while it hits absurdly hard, it sometimes will lose momentum and can be detrimental. Things like terrakion get free turns off of it, and as a result its not as good as it was. Its a great wallbreaker for offensive teams, but needs a bit too much support to be up there with things like alt-mega and thundurus.

Greninja: B ---> B+
After seeing it for a while, the push got to me. Its versatility throws everything completely out of the water, and every time I see it its causing problems for the other team. Its just a good mon. The versatility is almost retarded, as the speed allows it to run all kinds of sets. Protean sets have use because of both the extra speed and the fact that most people look for ogre or crawdaunt. Its becoming better and better. Greninja Manaphy is great as well as a few other donors like it. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is the momentum it loses (without sucker punch), due to lant getting a free turn to rk. Very good, nonetheless.
I like many of the other mons but I feel like you're underestimating ttar in the metagame. Of course you can name a mon that tyranitar is weak to but terrakion can't even switch in freely or set up on it as superpower OHKO's (a move that both absol and trapinch get)
The one thing that lets it down in this meta is that it loses its old great ability in sand stream. What it gets in return though are amazing stabs and also the ability to trap and take down one of the best walls in the current meta, cresselia.

Speaking of cresselia, its physically defensive set can wall half the meta and is a great win condition on stall teams. Unless the opponent is packing STAB choice powered moves, it's very hard to break through as setting up on it can be made impossible with abilities. While it has to make the choice between not being able to get hit by status and not getting hit by set-up, it's rarely dead weight even with the wrong set. I'm proposing an A+ rank for this mon.

Also, greninja might very well just go to a rank. Water/dark is an excellent offensive typing and its speed makes water spout a great option. If you're not a grass type you're just not switching in.

I think Mew's the winner for Camerupt:

Camerupt (Mew) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Synchronize -> Sheer Force
Quiet Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
-Trick Room
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Energy Ball/Roost

Who needs immunity when you can destroy them with Sheer Force Energy Ball? You can also run recovery if you feel like having another answer to those things (especially Aqua Jet). Alternatively, you can inherit from Solrock if you really want the pre-Mega immunity because it has Levitate. It has Morning Sun and Grass Knot to replace the moves in the last slot.

Okay this theory is completely untested but if you compare Latios's stats to Gengar's, they have exactly the same Spe and SpA, but Latios has better EVERYTHING ELSE. This makes me think that the powerful Sheer Force sets we've seen from Gengar might have merit with Latios. Gengar is already B+, and even though Latios is higher than that I feel a sheer force set could be added to the list of viable options. I haven't looked for donors yet though, and I'm not sure if it'll work with Lati's STABs. Still sounds cool though.

EDIT: Lando grants Psychic (STAB), Sludge Wave, and Earth Power. Sounds p good to me

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Trying to find sets for a few other megas

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam / Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun

This is the best I could find for Zard Y, inherited from Volcarona.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I like many of the other mons but I feel like you're underestimating ttar in the metagame. Of course you can name a mon that tyranitar is weak to but terrakion can't even switch in freely or set up on it as superpower OHKO's (a move that both absol and trapinch get)
The one thing that lets it down in this meta is that it loses its old great ability in sand stream. What it gets in return though are amazing stabs and also the ability to trap and take down one of the best walls in the current meta, cresselia.

Speaking of cresselia, its physically defensive set can wall half the meta and is a great win condition on stall teams. Unless the opponent is packing STAB choice powered moves, it's very hard to break through as setting up on it can be made impossible with abilities. While it has to make the choice between not being able to get hit by status and not getting hit by set-up, it's rarely dead weight even with the wrong set. I'm proposing an A+ rank for this mon.

Also, greninja might very well just go to a rank. Water/dark is an excellent offensive typing and its speed makes water spout a great option. If you're not a grass type you're just not switching in.
T-tar I have used for a while now and its just a little difficult to keep it up. A- is a good place for it, along with the likes of the latis and mega lop.

Cresselia has one problem in this metagame: Its too passive. On stall teams against more balanced offensive ones, it can struggle because of its passiveness, and there is no lack of viable wincons for stall. Adrian said it best himself: Stall is best in Inheritance when its not passive, but has offensive presence, and his success has proved this. Cresselia isn't passive once its boosted, obviously, but not against more offensive teams. There are enough common mons that can break it as well. Sure, its very, very good. I just don't see it up there with the likes of suicune, mega pinsir, terrakion, etc.

Greninja has a lot of perks, but there are too many issues to quite warrant A atm. A- may be a good place, but I need to see just a little more before I decide on that. its versatile, but it needs to boost (non-ogre sets) or have a life orb to hit hard. It's lack of bulk makes it very prone to a lot of common revenge killers. I don't think it should go too far up, but it could go up another rank. We'll see.

Okay this theory is completely untested but if you compare Latios's stats to Gengar's, they have exactly the same Spe and SpA, but Latios has better EVERYTHING ELSE. This makes me think that the powerful Sheer Force sets we've seen from Gengar might have merit with Latios. Gengar is already B+, and even though Latios is higher than that I feel a sheer force set could be added to the list of viable options. I haven't looked for donors yet though, and I'm not sure if it'll work with Lati's STABs. Still sounds cool though.

EDIT: Lando grants Psychic (STAB), Sludge Wave, and Earth Power. Sounds p good to me
Latios will have a listed sheer force set (ima edit it in), but gengar has the niche of dual stabs on its coverage, and with shadow ball being so unresisted it becomes a major pain for balance. It doesn't really outclass gengar, rather, it has a seperate niche of being more bulky. Every move lando learns is learned by nidoking (except i think psychic, which doesn't add much coverage), so Im going to list nidoking as the donor for sheer force.

Latios will have a listed sheer force set (ima edit it in), but gengar has the niche of dual stabs on its coverage, and with shadow ball being so unresisted it becomes a major pain for balance. It doesn't really outclass gengar, rather, it has a seperate niche of being more bulky. Every move lando learns is learned by nidoking (except i think psychic, which doesn't add much coverage), so Im going to list nidoking as the donor for sheer force.
Well another thing Lando gets that Nido doesn't is calm mind, which is famously devestating on several Lati sets. I wanted to at least try Psychic because it's STAB, which was the main attraction of Gengar's variant as you said, so that's where Lando came from in the first place. c;

EDIT: I just realized the extra bulk compliments the arrival of calm mind, so there's that.

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well another thing Lando gets that Nido doesn't is calm mind, which is famously devestating on several Lati sets. I wanted to at least try Psychic because it's STAB, which was the main attraction of Gengar's variant as you said, so that's where Lando came from in the first place. c;
Gengar Is amazing, however if it loses the speed tie against latios... RIP. This goes for Latios losing the speed tie also.

I feel that Goodra does not deserve the B rank, and to be frank, I don't feel that it deserves to be on the list at all. I understand the merit of AV+Regenerator but Mienshao and Slowking don't have any STAB moves (bar Dragon Tail) and they are terrible options overall due to their mediocre movepools for Goodra to use.

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I've been wanting to try this out, so if you see this, try it out and review it for yourself (I'm 3 Biased)

Multitype Ampharos should be a think imo.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Synchronize/Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse

Inheriting from mew/arceus
This thing. Ugh. Mold Breaker means screw volt absorb and calm mind/trick room is great for some set up sweep, since trick room takes away that horrible speed problem, and calm mind gets you some boosts, beware of priority, doublade is good for everything but shadow sneak and sucker punch and it gets a great boost from that Trick room, so here's a partner set below

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
Niec n aegislash.
Plus, we can check off mega ampharos in our mega box now ^_^

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I feel that Goodra does not deserve the B rank, and to be frank, I don't feel that it deserves to be on the list at all. I understand the merit of AV+Regenerator but Mienshao and Slowking don't have any STAB moves (bar Dragon Tail) and they are terrible options overall due to their mediocre movepools for Goodra to use.
The more you use it the better it gets. it doesn't need stabs and whatever, It just wants the coverage to beat common threats it wants to switch in on. TBH the reason its B and not higher is because the metagame is primarily physical. Thats it. The issue atm is that it doesn't wall very much due to the metagame trends. Therefore, I may remove it anyways. We'll see, I'll talk to adrian about that one.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
dual chop...u-turn, knock off...high jump kick..fake out...rock slide...more then enough for a pivot...and for slowbro, it has scald, ice beam, dragon tail, fire blast/flamethrower i mean..it works on slowking...so what if you lose stab on scald, you get like...an extra 40% bulk to abuse. i mean, just because it doesn't have access to shit like v-create and like..draco meteor or have 200 options to choose from, doesn't mean its bad. in fact, most AV users prefer the weaker moves due to their extra PP and reliability, and would much rather have consistant good moves then multiple bad ones. take a look at mega ray. it has millions of good moves...but how many people ACTUALLY run thunderbolt/draco on stuff like altaria...nobody, because all people need off it is espeed, v-create, swords dance, and earthquake for example.

also, it still walls ALL primordial sea users, it can check protean special attackers easily(lives 2 life orb ice beams, and can proceed to HJK it, or knock off its life orb if its my set, otherwise it can dtail it out), takes on sheer force users, and generally adds some firm glue to any team that needs a good stop to most specially orientated threats. sure most threats are physical, but that doesn't mean special attackers are gone. in fact, it makes them MORE threatening due to the lack of preparation for them, and goodra works for both offensive teams AND defensive teams as being something that can come in, take hits, and dish out some moderate(yet crutial vs offense) damage on offensive pokemon and possibly cripple them by either removing their item(mien) or burning them(king). sure im not saying its a s ranked threat, but to say "its not viable because it gets no stab attacks and having no decent options to run" when it clearly does is very ignorant to say. have you tried goodra? i sure hope you have to make a statement like that lol. having tried goodra i disagree with this statement, and i bet adrian probably will too.

This is a really effective offensive core I've made recently and its gotten me to rank 15 on the ladder
It revolves around Adaptability Ursaring with Arena Trap Sceptile:

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap (Inherits from Trapinch)
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

I haven't seen anyone using this sceptile set but it works amazing in this metagame. The main counters to ursaring are steels, ghosts, and unaware pokemon like rhydon and suicune which this set takes care of for the most part. The major ghost type threat I've seen recently is gengar who loses levitate due to sheer force. Because of this, Sceptile traps, outspeeds, and ohkos gengar with earth power, same with rhydon with giga drain. Sub and toxic are for unaware suicune who cant break the sub with scald and always lose if running recover over rest (Also of note - Sceptile usually outspeeds after +1 speed if they aren't running many speed EV's on a quiver dance set). Also useful just for avoiding status in general. Not only this but arena trap sceptile outspeeds and ohkos so many threats like terrakion, non levitate magnezone and non specially defensive heatran to name a few. Overall just a very useful pokemon to have on a team.

After proper support Ursaring can sweep unprepared teams with ease with extremespeed, ohkoing many threats without hazards and even more after.

Ursaring Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability (Inherits from Mega-Lucario)
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Extremespeed
- Facade
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

I haven't taken the time to check speed tiers so ill take suggestions there, I'm thinking of moving the speed Evs to Hp since I find I only ever use extremespeed and swords dance. This set i think may have been posted already but I'm too lazy to check. Anyways this thing kills almost everything that doesn't resist it and especially after prior damage, making the perfect late game sweeper.

I also always make sure to run a spike setter with this core so I'm aware of levitators like heatran and magnezone that would otherwise ohko sceptile after being immune to earth power.

These two pokemon themselves run into trouble from faster extremespeed users like Pinsir, Lopunny and Altaria but there's more than enough pokemon slots left to add some checks to these.

I just played an almost 4 hours battle in Inheritance. I just... Fuck
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/inheritance-222887683
See, this is why I run trappers on offense. Stall only has one counter to your setup sweeper? Make that zero counters. funguy127 just above me shows how you can use a dedicated trapper to protect a core (though I really should note that Ghost-types can't be trapped with Arena Trap -- while I wouldn't put it past Gengar to stay in on Sceptile to try and get the KO, it's not a guarantee).

Maybe it's just because of the way my team is structured, but Arena Trap Scarf Lando-T with EQ/Rock Slide/Crunch/Superpower (credit to Peef Rimgar for the set) is very good at netting KOs against 'mons that would otherwise trouble my team with no worry that they'll switch in a counter and set. And of course, Arena Trap + Final Gambit is reliable as hell, but one-shot -- only for use if there's one thing that you absolutely must be able to take off the opposing team, really.

I do feel that Arena Trap is really underestimated in this meta as an asset for offense.

Last edited:
Some cool sets that ive made up because

Ok onto the sets:

Throh @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
This is basically AV Azu 2.0 but with Intimidate and better bulk, indirect form of recovery and a phazing move. The set is pretty self explanatory, really tanky physical attacker, take a hit, strike back and run off. The only thing that is missing here is U-Turn, but unfortunately scrafty doesnt get that. Circle throw is really good for stuff like cresselia and suicune that sets up all over your face, although cress can stored power you, im pretty sure it can live a +1 Def and Sp.Def.

4 SpA Cresselia Stored Power (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Throh: 236-278 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Wow, it actually lives at Max Def and Sp.Def? Holy shit. Im impressed.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
Really nice lead, Life Orb + STAB on everything + 147 Atk. stat hurts A TON. Fake out breaks sashes and also allows 2OHKOS to become OHKOS on stuff like M-Garde that should be killed, otherwise you get killed by it. Haxorus really appreciates the Sucker Punch priority since 97 speed isnt all that great and it doesnt input too bad of damage either. I use 172+ Spe because the things that it can outspeed are base 100s with neutral nature. Drain punch is nice indirect recovery because life orb can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Thunder Punch is for water types, since shit like gyarados and suicune is so common, im specially paranoid about suicune since i havent had many pleasant experiences in the past with it. Obviously there are other options for moves like ice punch,fire punch,low kick, shadow sneak, etc.

Just to prove its not weak at all:

252+ Atk Protean Haxorus Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 168-200 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I didnt even need to put in life orb lol.

Last edited:
See, this is why I run trappers on offense. Stall only has one counter to your setup sweeper? Make that zero counters. funguy127 just above me shows how you can use a dedicated trapper to protect a core (though I really should note that Ghost-types can't be trapped with Arena Trap -- while I wouldn't put it past Gengar to stay in on Sceptile to try and get the KO, it's not a guarantee).
I also think the fact that I forgot about ghosts being unable to be trapped means other people have too. When the message appears by your moveslot that "this pokemon may be trapped" i think it discourages a lot of players from even attempting to click the switch button. I myself have never had a gengar switch out on my sceptile and I guess this must be the reason

I think Inheritance stall is a lot stronger than people think. You see, in Inheritance, it's very easy to give your walls moves that will mitigate your team's passivity. Volt-turn and select coverage moves really makes stall tough to handle. However, stall is also very hard-pressed at the moment.

Here's a quick cheat sheet to get better at stall; bear in mind that there are very few solid counters to many of the mandatory threats to counter. All these Pokemon work well together to form a very powerful defensive structure:
  • Get a non-passive status absorber that works as a versatile counter to various offensive threats, such as Snorlax.
  • Use a Protean counter such as Diancie or Manaphy.
  • Run Intimidate Suicune or another Intimate physical wall to check or counter most physical attackers.
  • Use Regenvest Entei to counter Mega Gardevoir; alternatively, you could use a specially defensive Victini set or Flash Fire Aegislash, but those are honestly inferior.
  • Use an Unaware Pokemon that walls Contrary Terrakion and other boosters, such as Cresselia.
  • This is new, but xJownage told me about how dangerous Adaptability Excradrill is, so I ended up using Magic Bounce Skarmory as a counter. I'd say countering it is mandatory as well.
  • Use a Magic Bounce Pokemon such as the one above, or Magic Bounce Doublade.
  • Get a good counter to Fire-type nukes such as Mega Charizard-X.
  • Carry decent checks to powerful rain attackers like Mega Blastoise.
  • This has nothing to do with teambuilding, but always be sure to set your Toxic Orbs safely!
  • Be sure to make your team as offensively threatening as possible, whilst using an uncompromising defensive structure!

You may view and add defensive sets in this Pirate Pad: http://piratepad.net/InheritanceStallSets

The sets provided are just some of my favourite ones, as I don't wish to add that many, lest people won't get to contribute by providing their OWN defensive sets! Of course, I'll be deleting sets that don't seem to have a significant purpose. If you have a set worth sharing that's not defensive, but resultantly works well on the stall archetype, you should add said set as well!

Last edited:
I don't really know how to play Stall, but Stall players must be wary of potential Final Gambit users, usually pokes with base HP above 150 (Alomomola, Chansey, Wailord, Blissey).

Also add Mega Medicham to viability ranking. Its an underrated threat that people must prepare for. A few pages before, I've shown a calc that +2 Extremespeed cleanly 1HKO what would be its revenge killers and unlike other -atespeeders, Suicune can't switch in to its Close Combat, unless Intimidate users, meaning it isn't walled by Unaware variants.

I almost always use Arena Trap. When you look at Dugtrio and Trapinch movepool, you will realize that it can't do much. That's also why Chatter isn't banned here. When you look at Chatot's movepool and ability, you realize there are better things than Chatot, even though it has Chatter.

I almost always use Arena Trap. When you look at Dugtrio and Trapinch movepool, you will realize that it can't do much. That's also why Chatter isn't banned here. When you look at Chatot's movepool and ability, you realize there are better things than Chatot, even though it has Chatter.
It has Final gambit, give that to Blissey and it can end any non ghost for good

I'm not really convinced on Arena Trap being a problem. Admittedly, I'm being a bit biased because I was the first user of Arena Trap Zygarde but it isn't actually too hard to stop.

Offensive Pokemon can simply power through Arena Trap. Set Up Sweepers don't really care. Flying, Ghost and Levitate users don't care. Poison Types don't have to worry about Toxic. The only playstyle that faces problems is Stall. And even there, Magic Bounce doesn't really have any problems. Poison Heal doesn't care. Magic Guard doesn't care either.

And as Chopin said, there aren't really a lot of moves you can use. It's basically: Earthquake, Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Hone Claws, Rest, Sleep Talk, Toxic, Shadow Claw, Crunch, Bug Bite.

It has Final gambit, give that to Blissey and it can end any non ghost for good
Except that you could give Final Gambit to Blissey or something with a different ability. Final Gambit isn't really something people expect from Blissey, so they aren't going to switch to a Ghost immediately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)