Insane Asylum (By Rwhite84 and Busterj99)

Introduction
Me and Busterj99 decided to make a team together, we wanted to use stall tactics but still be able to maintain a decently functioning offense, we use a few Pokemon unconventional in OU but they hold their weight greatly. Our team does well but we'd like some imput on how it could be better.

At a Glance

Team Building

We Started with blissey because it's a great support tool.

Despite it being uncommon in OU we decided to use hitmontop because it can spin through ghosts and take a lot of phyiscal moves.

Next we added dragonite as a stall-breaker and hard hitter.

Next we added magnezone because skarmory had become a problem.

Next we added bronzong because it beats a plentitude of threats such as landorus-t and gliscor

Next we added slowbro because it can sponge physical attacks and add additional coverage to some threats.

We use blissey because it's a great support tool, it gives hitmontop and bronzong the health regeneration they can't get on their own, and can help restore multiscale on dragonite. We use the toxic set because blissey doesn't like to spend time on the offense as its primary job is to help the rest of the team do its job the best it can. Heal bell helps the team strive status free and helps toxic spikes not become an issue. I give it max defense and HP so it doesn't become frail to phyiscal attackers and can wall some of them. It also prevents superpower from being a major issue so it can handle thundurus-t easily. Natural Cure allows it to be a status sponge without using heal bell

Synergy

-Slowbro, Dragonite

Hitmontop is an odd thing to see in OU but it can do its job very well, with intimidate its defense is around 460 so it can use physical attackers as rapid spin fodder. Hitmontop is usually not the best choice for a spinner but I love what it can do with wish support because it can be used as a wall and can have its play time prolonged. What sets it apart from other spinners is because it's the only spinner with bulk+Stab fighting and one of few bulky spinners that can beat blissey and chansey, also forseight can come in handy because people think they can send a ghost out to stop my rapid spin but they send out their ghosts and I've already identified them with it and have the chance to spin. Some people like the mach punch and sucker punch but I prefer close combat and stone edge because dragonite can be an issue if hitmontop is set up fodder and stone edge helps stop it, and close combat is a nice option if I need to hit something hard.

Synergy

-Slowbro, Magnezone, Bronzong

Bronzong, Magnezone

Dragonite is a good stall-breaker, the choice band set reigns supreme over the dragon dance set because it can catch my opponents off guard and hit them hard when they expect me to attempt to set up, its also good because I don't need to do anything to get the power I need so I can just come in and use it as a revenge killer. Superpower is something people don't see coming although it's pretty great, I send out dragonite on people with air balloon heatrans and they think I don't see the balloon and then I outspeed and OHKO with superpower. Outrage is a great tool, 180 power after STAB and with a choice band can just run right through things. Extremespeed is a nice prio move and can often come in handy for revenge killing frail or low health mons.

Synergy

-Slowbro, Magnezone, Bronzong

-Bronzong, Magnezone

Magnezone is to help remove some annoying steel types such as scizor ferrothorn skarmory and others. We use the choice scarf set because it outspeeds scizor and can be useful outside of steel types as a revenge killer.Hidden Power fire is for Scizor Ferro Forre and other mags. Flash Cannon helps revenge kill on things that resist electric. Volt switch is to help me hit and run because magnezone doesn't like to be still in after it gets a kill usually. Thunderbolt is in their because the switch feature of volt switch is not always necessary and sometimes the additional power of thunderbolt is necessary.

Syngery

-Slowbro, Dragonite

-Dragonite, Bronzong

-Slowbro, Dragonite

We use Bronzong because it helps beat a bunch of pokemon that can otherwise be a threat to this team, the ability to levitate and hidden power ice allows it to avoid ground moves and beat ground types that can annoy the team such as gliscor and landorus-t. Earthquake is to help it beat other steels and fire types that can otherwise toy with it, notably heatran and magnezone although we'd prefer not to leave it in on heatran. Toxic has multiple purposes, it can help cripple things that switch in, and it can help bronzong stall-break things such as jellicent hippowdon and mew. Bronzong is a great SR setter and SR is extreme useful especially after BW2, since both therians are weak to the rocks. We use its mixed defensive set since it had crucial threats to cover from both defenses.

Syngery

-Slowbro, Dragonite

We use slowbro because it's a great physical wall and has a nice moveset which can stall-break and cover some otherwise threats to the team, slowbro and blissey have incredible synergy as slowbro can walk through the steel types blissey can't touch sponge the physical and fighting attacks blissey can't meanwhile blissey can take the special attacks that can prove troublesome to slowbro. Scald helps beat some ground type threats and also is a nice STAB move with a burn chance that can come in handy quite often as nothing likes to switch into a scald. Flamethrower is to help with steel types such as skarm and ferro. Thunder wave is to help cripple obvious switch ins and a paralyzed pokemon is practicly useless against this team.

Synergy

-Bronzong, Magnezone, Hitmontop

-Bronzong, Magnezone, Dragonite

-Magnezone

-Magnezone, Blissey

Importable

Heffer (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)​

- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

- Heal Bell​

Beyblade (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers​

Trait: Intimidate​

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef​

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Close Combat
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge​

Liberty Bell (Bronzong) @ Leftovers​

Trait: Levitate​

EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SDef​

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Toxic​

Magneto (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf​

Trait: Magnet Pull​

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd​

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon​

Bobba Fat (Dragonite) (F) @ Choice Band​

Trait: Multiscale​

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd​

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Superpower
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake​

Slow in two ways (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers​

Trait: Regenerator​

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef​

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave​

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

to start off, your importable is a bit messed up- it seems as if you split the hide tags; might want to get that fixed.

Your team looks pretty solid; you use a little dragmag core to finish off after the rest of your team wears down the opponent. However, your team is really weak to set up sweepers- you have no phazers, no hard hitters, and you rely heavily on status to deal damage, so pokemon like SubCM Latias will destroy you. Bronzong seems replaceable; it isn't doing anything except set hazards and Toxic (which Blissey already does fine.) I suggest you replace Bronzong with Physically Defensive Skarmory.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
252 HP / 232 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful nature
~Stealth Rock
~Whirlwind
~Spikes
~Roost / Brave Bird

Dual hazard Skarmory is just what your team needs- and it makes a pretty little core with Blissey. It sets rocks and spikes for you, something Bronzong couldn't do, and it isn't weak to Banded Haxorus's EQ. Skarmory also phazes, so set up pokemon aren't too problematic. For the last slot, Roost can be used for recovery, and Brave Bird can be used as a pretty powerful attack.

That's all for now. Cool team!

Hey Rwhite84, I have been checking out your team, and i have a few suggestions to make your team just a little bit better. From the look that i got from your team, I thought that it would be rather defensive as opposed to offensive. However, I found that, for a stall team, you seem to be lacking some of the team support that is almost necessary for stall teams. I have a few suggestions that would help you better perform as a stall-oriented team, which is your goal.

One of the most important things that a stall team would like to have is proper entry hazards on the opposition, in order to lessen the switching potential of an offensive team, forcing them to sacrifice health in order to gain an advantage. You only have Stealth Rock, on Bronzong. While he will always get a chance to come in and set it up, you would greatly appreciate Spikes support, because I can foresee a pokemon like CB Terrakion becoming a problem. He will take very little from Stealth Rock, and you would have difficulty absorbing some of the CC's and Stone Edges, if you predict incorrectly. I would like to suggest to you a pokemon that could perform Hitmontop's primary job, spinning, as well as adding spike support. I would recommend adding Forretress over Hitmontop. Here's a good set for this team:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed: 252Hp/176Def/80SpD (0Spe IVs)
~Rapid Spin
~Spikes
~Gyro Ball
~Toxic Spikes

Forretress would give you the necessary spikes support that Stall teams would need. also. you have the same spin support that you need, since toxic spikes kill Slowbro. Forretress helps threaten Terrrakion with Gyro Ball. You'll find that you may lose something that you will miss from Hitmontop, and that is intimidate. However, I have another change that should help supplement that somewhere else on the team.

Choice Band Dragonite does pack quite a powerful punch. However, it will force you to switch into and out of Stealth Rock all of the time. This would greatly decrease his longevity. Also, I have a suggestion that could take the place of Dragonite, that could help you in the long run checking physical attackers. I would have you consider this bulky Salamence over CB Dragonite.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish: 252Hp/252Def/4Spe
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Roar
~Roost

If I recall correctly, this is a Salamence set that Panamaxis used in very early BW. I picked this set up in his fantastic warstory against Chou Toshio. This Salamence carries tremendous bulk, and he also is capable of serving as a phaser, which this team would greatly need with your team's hazards getting laid. This Salamence can come into any physical attackthat is not a weakness of his, and he can absorb it like a professional, and roost off any damage before he begins to threaten with a solid attack stat of 306. Also, this set will come off with an element of surprise, which will also force switches on pokemon expecting and fleeing from a DD set. I would definitely consider this set. The only thing I can forsee you losing is pure power, and a Banded Priority move. However, I predict that with careful play, you would be able to work around that loss.

I have one final small change for you to consider. I see that you have Thunder wave on Slowbro. While this is generally a good choice for offensive teams, you are actually preventing the opponent from suffering from toxic (usually a great strategy for stall teams). I would recommend that you change Thunder Wave to Yawn. This will end up forcing many switches on pokemon that would fear the sleep that takes a pokemon out of the game.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,

Nice team guys, its a good example of the Balanced playstyle. I just wanted to point out to you's that Magnezone is outclassed as a scarfer by its prevolution, Magneton. Magentons extra points in speed let it outspeed key threats, most notably base 115's and the extra special attack is rarely needed considering that you will be hitting the steel's you target hard with a SFE move anyway. The power decrease is not very noticable at all when compared to the targets you outspeed. Also try out Fire Punch > Earthquake on Dragonite as Fire Punch hits Skarmory hard consistently, which otherwise annoy's your current set and Earthquake and Superpower coverage pretty much overlaps anyway

GL with the team
Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
EV's: 4Def/ 252SpA/ 252Spe
Thunderbolt/ Hidden Power [FIRE]/ Volt Switch / Flash Cannon

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I like the defensive playstyle, but i dislike how your team runs so many status inflictions. They will conflict with each other; with Twave, Scald, and toxic, you might not get the right status on opposing pokemon. And your team doesnt benefit from Twave much anyway, other than the hax you may get every few turns. There are no flinching moves, or substitute users that could use the extra turn setting up.

Magnezone's main job seems to be stopping your opponent from setting up too many hazards, but hitmontop can hold its own against them and spin them away. It does allow Dragonite to spam outrage, but something will most likely come in to revenge it. I think you should replace Magnezone with a SD gliscor.

I see that you wanted a mix between stall and offense overall in your team, and Gliscor kinda does both of that in this set.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 130 Def / 136 Spe​
Impish Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Facade / Ice Fang

With the 136 speed you will be able to outpace Neutral Base 80's. SD and Taunt help you against steels and Conkelderr without ice punch. Facade is for Rotom Wash, but Ice fang is useful to OHKO dragons, and other gliscor. Facade is a more reliable source of damage, but gengar is immune to it, and Ice fang hits many more common threats harder.

Lastly I would put psychic over twave on slowbro so that you handle Conkelderr and subCM keldeo better.

@ Asek thanks for the rate magneton suggets is a good idea,and I was thinking fire punch aswell it can help add more coverage then earthquake can, I'll just run these by buster :P

@ Chimp thanks for the rate but with magnezone certain steel types can become big threats to the team such as skarm and ferro which could be a major problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)