Internet Relationships

I guess because I do most of my social interaction online I'm much more open and honest than I am IRL. I come across fairly reserved, quiet and unfriendly IRL but online I'm, err.. different. And more myself. I've never felt from all the tens of people that I've met IRL that they were a significantly different person than on the internet - I think even if they take certain steps to hide or alter a part of their personality, it always shines through, you can tell that something isn't right. I'm not sure the person you meet IRL is any more authentic than the person you talk to online. I make some very small effort not to paste my dox everywhere but then I've been online a lot for err, nine years? I'm pretty sure everything is out there by now. If someone wanted my address or anything they'd be quite welcome to it if they had a valid reason.

To me, that works for Terry, too (from what I know, I didnt know him personally) - maybe he really was a fairly normal pokemon playing kid who fucked up pretty hard due to circumstances outside his control. I don't think a person's life has too much influence on their behaviour, really - and I don't think that you can tell what anyone is going to do from knowing them in any way (i.e. I think if youd met up youd have not known anything different, either).

People can hide/mask/whatever parts of their personality and life, but I don't think it's got anything to do with online or IRL. It's easier to be the person you want to be online, but then without actually knowing someone's life very well you arent going to know what they're actually like, whether you see them every day at college or talk twice a week online.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
akuchi idg the second paragraph of your post

as i'm reading it you talk about how he behaved in a certain way due to things in his life (fucked up pretty hard due to circumstances outside his control), but then you go on to to say that you don't think things in people's lives affect behaviour too much

am i misunderstanding?

I think I'm misexplaining. I mean that the things that happen in people's lives, their everyday lives, people don't know anything about those things, especially if that person is taking steps to hide them. For example, if I'm going through a bad patch people IRL are just as unlikely as people online to know about it, even though you'd expect people IRL to notice more easily because they're actually there and they can see me, not just what I want to say to them online. I don't think it's the Internet that allows you to hide an unpleasant facet of your life from someone else, I think that's down to the individual. I guess a better example would be someone being abused by their partners - though it's perhaps marginally easier to hide online it's just as likely that this could be a terrible thing that none of your IRL friends ever find out about. If someone wants to keep something hidden they will do it IRL or online.

I don't think the way someone is is affected by their lives that great a deal. The way they react to things might be different, and they might get into some rather fucked up situations, but I guess what I was trying to say is that (without knowing anything) it is, to me, more likely that Terry was a genuinely nice kid who had a really fucked up life and had a crazy situation forced upon him, rather than Terry was hiding a part of his personality from people (I should have said personality rather than behaviour in second paragraph I guess?)

I don't want to look like I'm speculating, I'm not trying to really but then again this is incredibly sensitive and I might be without meaning to. Delete posts as required!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)