ORAS RU Intrigue (1k RMT) Peaked somewhere on the RU (Current) Ladder

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
INTRIGUE

1330 was averaging around top 100 on the first suspect ladder so it is good enough to show the team y/y (also, dont judge the nickname, I may have problems)

Obligatory soundtrack that gives the name to this RMT:

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••​

Hi everyone, my name is MrAldo and welcome to my first RMT ever celebrating my 1k post yay! (Clique as fuck but I had to do something, you know). Ive been playing RU as my main tier for over a year now, getting really into the tier during the XY days during the Yanmega/Zoroark meta and getting really into it during the fun mess that was the Kingdra dominated metagame and how funny the Shell Armor Lapras was (HAH!). Im a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy but, as said, have made RU my main tier and this RMT shows it.

In order to give an appropiate description to this RMT, lets start with some story: Ive been really intrigued about toxic spikes since their introduction on 4th gen (uninteresting backstory, you dont want to know) but I didnt played competitive back then, now we go to the present and Ive been toying with the idea of building that made the best use of toxic spikes possible, even with Flygon around, specifically started around the time Diancie and Venusaur already established themselves at metagame staples. Lets start seeing the different variations the team went through!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••​

First version ever! Specifically built on a time where Mega Steelix was literally the King of RU and with Diancie and Venusaur dropped and quickly established themselves as metagame staples, hence the usage of Weezing, really good Pokemon that has gained a lot of popularity since then. Seismitoad presence gave me a good response to Mega Steelix, which was really important at the time and something to kill Mega Camerupt (no switch-ins tho). Toxic Spikes + Rotom seemed like a great way to abuse them, pressuring Flygon on its own and decided to pair it with Offensive Trick Room Diancie to clean late-game. Worked really well at the time.

I honestly believe I went a couple of spaces backwards with this variant but it also worked pretty well despite losing a good ground immunity. Garbodor gained respectable usage cause of the same Venusaur we all love (or hate, lol) and I changed Garbodor over Weezing cause honestly I though Weezing was a bad response to Virizion at the time (SD Zen Headbutt was at its prime back then because guess what... Venusaur) so yeah, Garbodor solved the Viri problem while giving me Spikes and Toxic Spikes, while having toxic to punish Flygon switch-ins which was fine in my book, niche but functional. Walled by Mega Steelix but that wasnt that big of an issue in the long run cause it hated Spikes and that helped OTR Diancie as well. Still no Mega Camerupt switch-ins!

/

I remember that I built this at the time when stuff like Mega Steelix was going to be suspected and Tyrantrum go through a secondary suspect test (smfh) and with Blastoise being so effective at what it does and having a clashing typing with Seismitoad just keep giving me doubts until I just ditched the poor frog (I still love it tho). Returned to Weezing cause I was wrong about it not beating Viri and because I have Sneasel to circumvent the Viri issue even better, and because Spiritomb started to lose its luster. Built for RU teambuilding competition a while ago and it was pretty fun and effective, still somewhat slow but most scarfers can be played around. Keep switching between Diancie and Rhyperior because Malamar seriously scared me (I was running Megahorn Rhyperior, lol). This could play around Mega Camerupt better but still no switch-ins...

After Mega Steelix and Tyrantrum departure (thank God, fuck Tyrantrum) I built this. Tbh, Im not sure why I never gave this variant more chances cause it got canned so quickly for some reason. Maybe it was Malamar, maybe it was the lack of hazard control (doubt it) or maybe this is where the Dugtrio hate started and me having many MANY doubts about some metagame trends at the time (Shuca Diancie growing in popularity, Scarf Drapion becoming a set ((I hated it back then and was like LOL SCARF TOXIC SPIKES)) and FUCK Dugtrio gaining more popularity) so it never saw the light of day. To this day I believe it could have been the better variant but eh, idk, I guess I could revive it later on.

AND, THE FINAL PRODUCT. I always though about Delphox having a lot of potential on todays metagame but Dugtrio is just a massively constricting presence made pulling off some sets incredibly difficult, until someone mentioned sub calm mind (I cant really remember who but man... genius) and yeah, this was born and this is the team I use to this day. Rotom + Delphox and crazy good together, lol. Spdef Toise is great, etc, etc. And with this we end this story and proceed to explain the team!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

PRESENTING INTRIGUE:

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Hex
- Substitute

One of my favorite mons to use in this metagame and the main reason for this team to exist since its first iteration. Since Spirit discovered this set (the original has discharge, will explain why I went for thunderbolt) I have been severely intrigued by it, and it has seen crazy usage due to Durant presence at the time, and for good reason it has stayed relevant. Really effective balance breaker capable of dismantling common Registeel Alomomola cores and a really great status spreader (the artistic name for the set) so it can be seriously annoying to switch into. I have decided to run thunderbolt because the damage output was more appreciated that the 30% paralysis chance, especially on matchups where exploud was present since it have better chances to 2hko it after rocks, and exploud is always a threat. The EV Spread is designed for the Substitute to always live a Mola Scald and to retain the most offensive presence possible. Yeah, moving on!

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

Rotom partner in crime on this team! Even on a metagame infested with Pokemon like Flygon, Drapion and Venusaur, which are all pokemon that make pulling Toxic Spikes off incredibly difficult either because they absorb it or just because Flygon have tons of opportunities to Defog throughout the match, Weezing remains really effective due to it being able to pressure all these Pokemon by itself. Taunt + Will-O-Wisp is a glorious combination, effectively shutting down slower hazard setters like Diancie, Rhyperior, Druddigon and Registeel while having respectable stallbreaking potential. Toxic Spikes cause yeah, gotta abuse them with Rotom and Sludge Bomb for a reliable STAB move to hit the likes of Virizion, Rotom-Cut and 30% poison chance which helps Rotom all around.

Delphox @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

Ah, my eternal headache! Trying to pull off a Delphox set on todays metagame can be quite challenging due to Dugtrio constraining presence as stated and Pursuit trapping being really prevalent but this set proves to be the very effective at circumventing both issues really well! Houndoom dropping from the face of Earth due to Flygon and metagame trends being extremely unkind to it make running this set possible since other Dark types are vulnerable to its Fire STAB, and the team is well structured to handle Doom anyways. This set really appreciates the toxic spikes cause hard counters to this set like Slowking absolutely hate them and fall victim of Rotom prowess, and both Rotom + Delphox sharing similar checks like SpDef Diancie, Dark types in general and Meloetta means they can easily overwhelm them. The little new thing is leftovers over something like Salac Berry which was seen on this set before, from my experience the passive recovery is much more appreciated to take advantage of formulaic balanced cores like Registeel/Alomomola/Venusaur. And FUCK Dugtrio.

Diancie @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Diancie, easily one of the top 3 mons in this metagame just because of how versatile and unpredictable it can be. Pulling off a myriad of different sets in such an effective way it is crazy. This set works pretty well for this team in question, having amazing luring potential for my main nemesis on all the variants of this team... MEGA CAMERUPT. This set helps relieve some pressure from it while handling Flygon and even Dugtrio to a great extent. Earth Power is great to help with Magneton (we will get to this monster in a moment, LOL) and being excellent coverage alongside Diancie STAB Moves. Not much else to say but this set puts in a lot of work. It doesnt require much explanation. And this mon is cute!

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Our favorite, or not so favorite for some people, spinner! The standard has been the Physically Defensive variant thanks to it being a good Sneasel and Emboar sponge while being an ok Fletchinder response. This team had most relevant bases for Phys Def Blastoise so I decided to go with Specially Defensive and oh boy, it has been a blessing! First, MEGA CAMERUPT SWITCH-IN and a much better response against the likes of opposing Delphox, Houndoom and Mega Glalie which are really relevant threats for this team. Refresh giving me the great status sponge, rapid spin doing what rapid spin does and scald + toxic being just really annoying, but good! Love Toise tbh. This mon doesnt need much explanation either.

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail / Earthquake

Last, but definitely not less important, Scarf Drapion. I used to hate this set a LOT but hey, Im a human being and trust me when I say that there is no joyful pride on being wrong about something, admitting you are wrong makes you look better as a person, but Im not teaching life lessons here so lets get to Drapion. This Pokemon serves a really important role on this team, like revenge killing Virizion, pursuit trapping psychic types, absorbing toxic spikes since sadly Weezing doesnt absorb them (fair trade for having levitate tho) and Knock Off being one of the best moves in the game so you just spam it unless you have to kill a Virizion or trap a Psychic type (not if you see a Dugtrio still alive tho!) Great set all around and Im happy that I was wrong about my initial thoughts on this set.

THREAT LIST:

- HELP, I FORGOT TO PREPARE FOR THIS, LOL. The fact that I have faced so many Magnetons lately and Im yet to lose to one confuses me. This is easily the most massive threat to the team. I have to seriously play around this monster to get positive results, My electric resist is a rotom and well all know how that goes when you consider Magneton. Thankfully most are pretty reckless with it for some reason.

- Ah, classic scrafty. This is a pretty important threat thanks to being able to reliably setup on most of the team thanks to Shed Skin and being really bulky allow it to get boosts really easily. Really hard to fix this but thankfully most have been dropping iron head for other options so Diancie can take it on. If Moxie, weezing burns it and I laugh at the opponent for not using shed skin, the superior ability.

There are probably more but these are the most relevant. Everything else seems to be covered to an extent. Feel free to correct me, thats why constructive criticism is important. We all grow from it.

REPLAYS:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-432617331
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-432621085
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-432627798

Sorry I couldnt get that much but at least this shows how the team works which is the most important part.

SHOUTOUTS:

Oh boy, this is gonna take a while
AM Eyan Trinitrotoluene Royalty Kreme DaAwesomeDude1 Hairy Toenail Cyndequil. Peli Arifeen rob. Starmei GradeAGarchomp yuruuu SunnyORAS p2 MajesticM cfdba The Bravest Bird Nedor - My CT Buddies, my first home and the guys I have shared the best experiencies on this site. Thanks for being there and making this game worth its 2 pennies, wouldnt have lasted this long without how fun you guys are :) Special thanks to The Bravest Bird for getting me into RU.

atomicllamas barton -Tsunami- EonX Scythe. The Leprechaun DTC Aurora Lord Death Man SilentVerse Spirit Don Honchkrorleone Double01 - RU People. Thanks for trusting me with the roomauth and allowing me the host many forum projects and thanks for the all the interactions, I learn something new everyday and it helps expand the possibilities for building and general metagame knowledge, and getting to know some of you. Thank you :) Shoutouts to my RUPL buddies :D

Feliburn lighthouses slurmz Kableye Meteordash SlottedPig Ryoma Nagare Pearl Psynergy Ajna tko gorex rozes Laurens Josh - My TRU/TUG friends! Every moment with you guys have been really fun, thanks for being there and making this game more enjoyable. Love all of you and thanks :) Shame TRU had to die but that needed a purge so a fresh start would do it :V

Omfuga - Special mention cause this guy is the great to ever do it but mainly because I lose my shit everytime he laughs or get pissed off while Im in the background chuckling like an idiot, LOL. Bless.

And to anyone that I missed, you know I thank you, I just forget names so excuse me, ok? :V

In general, thanks everyone for every moment. Im sincerely grateful for everything, and lets give ORAS the best ending possible. Sun and Moon awaits.

FINAL WORDS:

Well... this may be not the perfect team, in fact I think it is pretty faulty lol, but Ive been having fun with it so thats what counts, right? And I needed an excuse to post it on a 1k post so there is that :V IM FREE FROM THE 1K POST CURSE NOW, YAY!

Change everything you like except for like Rotom (optimize my spreads and shit). Also, not sure how well this will behave on a non-mola meta so use at your own risk. Patience with the toxic spikes, even with Venusaur, Drapion and Flygon you will get to set the, just keep will-o-wisping :)

Shit, almost forgot the importable!
Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hex
- Substitute

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

Delphox @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

Diancie @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail / Earthquake
Cheers!
- MrAldo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)