Introducing Palace Players (Defensive Balaced)

Introduction
So, let's get some things straight before we move on to the juicy stuff. The origin of the somehow fancy title and nickname of mine is a indie-rock-track from the danish band Mew. Besides sharing name with one of the greatest Pokémon of all time, the band also keeps themselves busy pushing out outstandig prog-pop-tracks. One of them, or even maybe the best of them, is named Introducing Palace Players, so a few years ago i decided to have my online nickname after it - so my alias is Palace Players. Now it's time for me to introduce MY players, so here goes my fifth gen OU team. Oh, and it's fucking non-weather.

( Here's the track, for the sake of being completely unrelated in the introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JoUQ8ty3m0 )

About the Palace Players
When I started working with this team, I decided to try make a balanced team where I could switch safely most of the time. The reason I went for this play style is mainly because my best team from the past generation worked wonders like that. However, one can always argue that things have changed since the glorious days of gen IV. Not only have we got team preview, we also have some immensely powerful Pokémon to rip holes through almost any balanced core. Walls aren't what they once were.

With that in mind I still believe there are room for balanced teams in this metagame, as new unique typings and abilities makes interesting contenders to a balanced team. And with the recent ban of Garchomp, things went a little easier, at least. Giddy up, here's a quick clance at the players.

I don't want to bother you guys with how I ended up with these six Pokémon, as the process was quite long and the only Pokémon that has been a part of the whole time is Jirachi and Forretress Let's get to the part where it gets fun.

Introducing Palace Players

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Ice Punch
- Trick

We all know what this little bastard does, and therefore most of us hate it more than anything. Jirachi functions as my lead Pokémon most of the time due his ability to either flinchhax, trick or just aid my prediction with U-Turn. However I try to keep it alive as long as possible, as it often can pick up some revenge kills or do some paraflinchsweeping lategame. Ice Punch is pretty much essential on my team as it helps me deal with the likes of Latios, Dragonite, Flygon and even Haxorus after one Dragon Dance. Trick is there for messing up stall and Reuiniclus who otherwise would have an easy time wearing me down.

Synergy:
- Ground: Latias, Rotom-W, Gliscor
- Fire: Latias, Rotom-W, Quagsire

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

Though Latias did great for my team from the very beginning, I decided to switch her out and let her brother Latios do the job instead. The main reason was that this team, although quite balanced defensively, lacked offensive power. With Latios on the team I got the key resistances the team needed, as well as the sheer power of a 130 base Sp. Attack Draco Meteor powered by a Life Orb and STAB. Nothing to scoff at.

The set is rather simple. Draco Meteor is to deal immense amounts damage to almost anything in the OU metagame, and therefore is my main attacking move. Surf is for coverage, and to pick up a nice 2HKO on the ever-common Tyranitar. With Ferrothorn being the most used Pokémon in the entire OU-metagame, HP Fire is almost obligatory for the sake of not being completely walled by the thorn fellow. Recover was chosen for keeping Latios alive, but I will consider Psyshock if BlissChan gets annoying. Right now I don't see any of them too often.

Synergy:
- Dragon: Jirachi, Forretress
- Ghost: Forretress
- Dark: Conkeldurr, Forretress
- Bug: Forretress, Gliscor
- Ice: Jirachi, Rotom-W, Forretress

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Curse
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

After discovering that my team had some huge problems dealing with set-uppers like Volcarona and Thundurus, backflip suggested I replaced Conkeldurr with Quagsire. After some testing, it seems like a smart choice. Conkeldurr had some important roles on my team, however Quagsire can do most of them pretty good. What he misses out is the raw power from 140 base attack, and even after some Curses, his power can't really be compared to what Conkeldurr possessed. Still, he can do quite some damage with some Curses under his belt, and the ability to stop Thundurus cold is practically win or lose for my team.

Curse and Recover are self-explanatory: Curse up and Recover off damage. Originally I ran Stone Edge for Thundurus, but as Porii Sames pointed out, Waterfall does nearly as much damage in the rain, where you'll normally find Thundurus.

Synergy:
- Grass: Latias, Jirachi, Forretress

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP | 176 Def | 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

One might argue that Skarmory could do better on this spot, but the ability to spin away rocks is pretty essential when your team is based on a lot of switching. Especially Rotom-H appreciates a clear field when he's doing his Volt Switch-thing. This Forretress-set is pretty much the standard physically defence one, however with Stealth Rock over Spikes. The reason for that is mainly because I'm giving Volcarona a pretty easy job sweeping my without the rocks up. Also, I can't say I've ever been that much of a fan of the Toxic Spikes ever, as it turns out quite a big share of the OU tier is either immune or actually benefits from the spikes.

Volt Switch is there because Forretress won't be hurting much anyways, and it really helps my teammates doing their jobs.

Synergy:
- Fire: Rotom-W, Latias, Quagsire

Rotom-W @ Life Orb
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power Fire

Rotom-W's role is to put pressure on the opponent from the beginning, even though the team is defensive oriented. I originally had Rotom-H in this spot, but after you guys pointed out I was Chandelure and Excadrill-weak, I decided to run Rotom-W instead. After running Expert Belt for a while (faking Specs) I decided to go Life Orb and Pain Split instead, just for the sake of hitting harder every time Rotom-W gets the chance. Also, Pain Split makes stallbreaking a lot easier.

Hydro Pump is obligatory STAB and hits most of those pesky sandstorm-abusers pretty hard, while Volt Switch is used mostly for scouting. As Jirachi and Rotom-W cover each other weaknesses I'm finding myself Uturning and Volt Switching a lot between those two, especially effective if Forretress has been able to set up entry hazards. As mentioned Pain Split is for stallbreaking as well as recovering Life Orb damage, while HP Fire is there for coverage (read: Ferrothorn)

Synergy:
- Grass: Latias, Jirachi, Forretress

Gliscor @ Poison Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP | 180 Def | 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

I originally had Jellicent on this spot for spinblocking and some key resistances, but after comments on how that was unnecessary, I changed it to Gliscor, on PokeManiacBill's advice. Gliscor functions as a stallbreaker and my Excadrill-killer. Swords Dance is there for setup against taunted enemies, while Earthquake is the obligatory STAB-move and my main way of attacking. Ice Fang is there to catch those dragons and flying types making the life harder for me. The spread is defensively oriented to make Gliscor able to wall many important physical threats such as Tyranitar, Haxorus, Mienshao, Excadrill etc..

Synergy:
- Ice: Jirachi, Forretress, Rotom-W
- Water: Latias, Rotom-W

Closing words
With this team I am trying to find out if there is room for defensively oriented balanced teams even though the metagame finds itself in a middle of a weather war where one weather abuser tears apart another. So far it's working wonders, but I'm looking for ratings, comments and suggestions on how this team could be better. If it turns out to continue to do its job I might start to make a in game-copy for WiFi-battles. So, one last look?

Looks like a good team, but how does it beat Excadrill? If this came in on a Predicted Thunderbolt/Volt Switch from Rotom-H, then how do you beat it? Conkeldurr can't even OHKO with Mach Punch.

With Spin Blocking being fairly unnecessary these days, I am suggesting Gliscor over Jellicent. The set would most likely be this:

(M) @ Toxic Orb Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Facade/Ice Fang
-Taunt

This guy walls Excadrill like no one's business.

Although it isn't really that popular an OU anymore, Chandelure, especially a c/m one, could potentially destroy your team... Of course most chandelure's are scarfed, so just a bit of simple prediction will cut that short. Possibly replace jelli with a vaporeon? You'd lose the ability to block rapid spin, but you'd get wish instead (thus freeing you to use a specs rotom but get rid of pain split).

But overall, first impressions are petty good, and it'll still work fine if you don't change anything. Always glad to see people trying to make balanced teams... especially ones that don't rely heavily on weather.

Looks like a good team, but how does it beat Excadrill? If this came in on a Predicted Thunderbolt/Volt Switch from Rotom-H, then how do you beat it? Conkeldurr can't even OHKO with Mach Punch.

With Spin Blocking being fairly unnecessary these days, I am suggesting Gliscor over Jellicent. The set would most likely be this:

(M) @ Toxic Orb Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Facade/Ice Fang
-Taunt

This guy walls Excadrill like no one's business.
Thanks for the rate guys, I clearly see your points about the Chandelure and Excadrill-weakness.

What I might do to fix that is to change Jellicent for the Gliscor as PokeManiacBill suggested, keeping it as a check for both Excadrill and sort of a check for CM-Chandelure.

Gliscor @ Poison Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP | 180 Def | 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

However I feel that replacing Jellicent with Gliscor makes me a little too vulnerable to bulky waters, so what I might do is to change Rotom-H to Rotom-W forme. That way I can keep those pesky waters at bay. And for the sake of having a fire move in there, I could replace Pain Split to Hidden Power Fire.

Rotom-W @ Expert Belt
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire

This guy would then also help me deal with the likes of Chandelure and Volcarona, which is troublesome to my team. Life Orb might be and option so that I am not set up bait for Excadrill.

Any comments on those changes?

Edit: Changes are implemented into the original team, so please see the first post.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the gliscor spread is all wrong.

you want to run 252hp/ 184 def/ 72 speed to outspeed all ttars with an impish nature. using spdef evs is useless because you wont be surviving anything anyway

I was just curious in how you would deal with a Volcarona with a Quiver Dance under its belt once Jirachi goes down?

Yeah, Volcarona is a bit too common to not have a counter to it...it's relatively easy to counter though.

I'm also missing the sheer offensive prowess you need to power through more defensive teams. Fitting in a sweeper or two couldn't hurt (I don't consider Conkeldurr a sweeper, personally).

Yeah, Volcarona is a bit too common to not have a counter to it...it's relatively easy to counter though.

I'm also missing the sheer offensive prowess you need to power through more defensive teams. Fitting in a sweeper or two couldn't hurt (I don't consider Conkeldurr a sweeper, personally).
I think those problems could be solved by replacing Conkeldurr with Terrakion. Terrakion resists both of Volcaronas STAB and will OHKO back with Stone Edge. In addition it will pack a lot of the sweeping power you miss from the team.

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

The set could be Jolly Scarfed variant for outspeeding even +1 Volcarona, or dualboosting set. The downside is that me team loses its priority move in Mach Punch. Any opinions?

Perhaps replacing Payback on Conkeldurr with Rock Slide could work; I'm pretty sure Conkeldurr can take 1 Quiver'd Fire Blast, and if not, just run enough EVs to do so.

Heya, pretty nice team yah have going on for yah there. However, what do you have against something that sets up? If your opponent, say, has a Thundurus, and has a +3, what are you going to do?

maybe run flame orb instead of leftovers for the attak boost and as well as a status absorber plus he can be healed via drain punch

I see Quagsire, specifically the Curse set, fixing a lot of your problems. He stops Volcarona, Chandelure, Reuniclus, Thundurus (dunno how well he can switch into these three if they decide to attack over setting up, particularly Chandy), Excadrill/Ttar and most other stat-uppers to a pretty successful degree. He also sets up on anything not Choiced, packing Draco Meteor/offensive Grass, or status, thus making him equally formidable offensively.

That being said, I can see him over Conkeldurr without creating many problems (stop me now if I'm wrong claiming this). At least for what you have listed using Conk for apart from what I may have already covered, SD Gliscor should be able to handle Ferrothorn, but you lose Guts, thus Will-o-wisps from pokes like Jellicent become annoying to manage. Either way, I definitely feel he's something to consider.

One thing I would like to point out is that a neutral hit from Stone-Edge is equivalent to a super effective Payback, assuming that you hit first, and don't forget Stone-Edge's high crit ratio. Replacing Payback with Stone-Edge can also help you deal with Thunderus better.

I see Quagsire, specifically the Curse set, fixing a lot of your problems. He stops Volcarona, Chandelure, Reuniclus, Thundurus (dunno how well he can switch into these three if they decide to attack over setting up, particularly Chandy), Excadrill/Ttar and most other stat-uppers to a pretty successful degree. He also sets up on anything not Choiced, packing Draco Meteor/offensive Grass, or status, thus making him equally formidable offensively.

That being said, I can see him over Conkeldurr without creating many problems (stop me now if I'm wrong claiming this). At least for what you have listed using Conk for apart from what I may have already covered, SD Gliscor should be able to handle Ferrothorn, but you lose Guts, thus Will-o-wisps from pokes like Jellicent become annoying to manage. Either way, I definitely feel he's something to consider.
I couldn't agree with you more. Conkeldurr plays some very important roles on my team, but it seems like Quagsire could do most of his jobs, and also keeps those immense sweepers at bay. What I DONT like though, is to give up my only priority move in Mach Punch.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Curse
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

For now it seems like Stone Edge might be the best option over Waterfall, due to completely shut down Thundurus. However I will try out which works best.

One minor thing I would do would be remove Sedge on Quagsire for Waterfall. More often than not, against Thundurus they will have rain up, so Waterfall nearly equals Stone Edge's power.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I think Jirachi would appreciate Fire Punch so that it can outspeed and one shot Genesect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)