IRC bot?

Hello…
I'm interested in getting some sort of pokémon IRC bot set up for an IRC channel I use, and I understand that some of Shoddy Battle's predecessors were IRC bots? I have searched the internet and been unable to find any information about them however.
Alternately I have considered modifying Shoddy Battle itself to form an IRC bot, but I looked at the code and couldn't figure out where to start. Are the actual battle mechanics implemented on the server, or the client? or both? Any tips on where I should look, as in, which classes are relevant and which are only used for the Shoddy Battle network system thing? (Would it even be possible to separate out the pokémon battle aspects from the network and interface aspects?)
Basically, if anyone can either point me towards somewhere I can find one of the old IRC bot simulators, or give me tips on how to modify Shoddy Battle, I'd appreciate.

Sort of, yeah. If all it can do is battle that's fine, although i'd eventually like to add the ability to have a collection of pokémon and level them up, rather than just focus on competitive battling with maxed-out pokémon. But basically yes.

er, to clarify, what I really need to know is how one would go about using shoddy battle's battle mechanics system in another java application, basically putting another interface on it? I can handle making it into an IRC bot and the rest of it if I can figure that out, but Shoddy Battle's code is not heavily commented and I can't figure out the structure of it.

Er, also, I assume you understand but to clarify, I mean an IRC bot with functions like those of Shoddy Battle to facilitate battling between two people over IRC, not a bot that plays Shoddy Battle itself.

I don't use IRC, and cannot be of much help. However, I can tell you this. The Bot files are not in the sourceforge site. Only a couple of people have them...

The bot has no comments at all, but can easily be guessed

Are you saying a bot already exists?
Also, um, again, I hope you understand what I mean by bot.
Not an AI for Shoddy Battle.
An IRC bot with functions similar to Shoddy Battle.
I'm not looking to make a program to automatically play shoddy battle, but rather to use its battle mechanics simulator with a different interface.

Oh gosh no clue good luck. You'd have to change shoddy aton let things level up...... It does not have an xp system (obviously) so that could take forever.

Oh gosh no clue good luck. You'd have to change shoddy aton let things level up...... It does not have an xp system (obviously) so that could take forever.
I dunno. For one thing that's secondary, first i'd just like to get battling working. But it does all the hard stuff about leveling up already, eg. the stat calculation. I'd just need to add data about what level moves are learned at to the movesets (time consuming but probably easy), add an option to learn the move once the right level is attained (easy), and add experience points, which, as far as i know, should be actually quite simple. Oh, and add EV yield data, again, time consuming.

however all of this is just hypothetical until I can figure out shoddy battle's structure and modify it appropriately, so, again, is there maybe a blog post somewhere that details that sort of thing? Or of course if anyone has one of the older IRC bots that apparently used to exist, that did RBY and GSC rules… I'd be fine with those…

EDIT
Wait! Nevermind! I made it work!
At least, it can read a list of pokémon species and nicknames from a team file. I think I can do it from there… yeah! This is exciting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)