Is It Hot In Here?

Hey all. In my years of competitive Pokemon battling, I've never been able to use an effective Sun team. I love the Pokemon that Sun teams support and I like the offensive playstyles of them. Sadly, most of the teams I make are less than sub-par. However, I've been using this team recently and it's doing alright but I think it could be better. I'd be thankful if you'd check it out. Without further adieu, he's my team.

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis
- Substitute
This being a Sun team, the only basic requirement for it to be a good team is for Ninetales to be involved. My Ninetales is the standard dual-status Ninetales. Will-O-Wisp helps me cripple opposing Pokemon and allows me to cushion myself from physical blows. Hypnosis, despite the terrible accuracy, has saved me a couple times and it's great. I find it better than Toxic. Substitute is for dodging status and Flamethrower is just for 100 accuracy STAB move. Nothing really significant about Ninetales.

Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Because my team doesn't have a spinner, I had to get the next best thing. And that's a Magic Bouncer. Even though I like Xatu's design infinitely more than Espeon's, Espeon just outclasses my favorite bird Pokemon. So here's my Espeon. Standard dual-screen set holding Light Clay to ensure that my team is more bulky. Psychic is reliable STAB and Espeon's base 130 Special Attack is nothing to scoff at. I also run Hidden Power Fire as a quick surprise on certain Pokemon. A sun boosted HP Fire hurts a lot of Pokemon. Espeon may seem a bit lackluster, but she's a great Special Wall and sets up screens quickly and efficiently. I just wish there was some form of recovery.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
All jokes aside, this may actually be my favorite Physical Wall to date. Intimidate makes the strongest of physical hits nothing to the already bulky Landorus. Plus it's Flying typing makes it dodge Earthquakes and all forms of hazard aside SR. I can switch into a Physical Sweeper and get the Intimidate and then easily set up my own rocks as my frustrated opponent switches into something to easier take on this bulky beast. With U-Turn to keep my offensive momentum and Earthquake as my STAB offensive move, I run HP Ice in the last slot to counter the plethora of Dragons running around OU. I really love this Pokemon. It's so great.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
Ah, Breloom. It doesn't look like much of a fighter as far as art design, but it certainly wrecks face. Once I put something to sleep, I can set up a Swords Dance and then it's basically GG. A STAB Adamant Technician Life Orb boosted Mach Punch is ridiculously overpowered. I barely even use Bullet Seed because Mach Punch is that OP. No complaints here.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
OG Venusaur whaddup. This dude does Generation I proud. Chlorophyll + Sun means that I outspeed nearly everything that doesn't have a boost. I can quickly put something to sleep, get a +2 due to Growth and then it's GG. Sun boosted HP Fire hurts a lot coming off of a Life Orb Venusaur. And I have Giga Drain as a strong STAB form of recovery because Life Orb racks up quickly. MVP of the team right here.

Shiftry (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Nature Power
- Sucker Punch
This guy looks badass. Sadly, that's as much as I can say about him. I really want to use him but he seems lackluster. He doesn't have the best coverage, I don't think. Perhaps I'm just using him incorrectly. Anyways, if I can get up a SD then he can do decent but he's so frail, I can rarely do that. Seed Bomb is a good STAB and Nature Power gives me a good Earthquake. Sucker Punch is so that he's not totally useless outside of Sun. If I can modify this set or get some recommendations, it'd be great.

So there's my team. I think it's pretty good. What do you think?

My first suggestion is to replace Life Orb on your Venusaur with Black Sludge to give it added longevity, as it already gets enough damage from Growth. Also, I'd recommend running something like Earthquake over Sleep Powder, because Earthquake actually lets you OHKO a Heatran with a +2 bonus.

Also, there's absolutely no need to run both Venusaur and Shrifty, especially if you're running Breloom, which is why I recommend changing Shrifty to Choice Scarf Darmanitan, who acts as an absolute beast under the sun. If you want more bulky and special damage, however, you could run Bulky Volcarona > Darmanitan, giving you a scary special sweep.

I don't like Dual Screen mons in OU, I think it's more viable in lower tiers. If you'd like to use Espeon, I think that some kind of SubCM set might be quite effective.

As for Ninetales, I recommend shifting your EVs in Def to SpD, as they won't accomplish anything of value in Defence, any hit from Ttar will kill you so you may as well try to survive Politoed instead. I'd suggest Toxic > Will-o-wisp for better accuracy, Grass Knot > Hyponosis to hit Water types for super effective damage, and possibly something like HP Fighting to ensure a 2HKO on TTar on swap in. Sun teams are the most dependant on the weather out of all 3 major weather types, due to Chlorophyll, and as such it's vitally important that you win the weather war.

Good luck :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)