Issue #13 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A small nitpick(that for some reason really pisses me off) I would like to say that Buffafro is a Buffalo, not a Bull... And real men use lanturn, not stupid Garchomp...

The fact that Desumasu didn't make it into the Stupid Japanese Names section made me kinda sad. A friend and I have been talking about him since months before B/W were released XD

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gdamn I knew I was forgetting someone . . . yeah, that name is extremely retarded . . .

retrospecy FYI:

desu / masu are used to end sentences in Japanese's "standard" polite form.

. . . but, in this case, when combined with the design of the pokemon itself, you end up reading it as shortened Katakana.

Katakana words are foreign words, but Japanese will also abbreviate foreign phrases by using only the first segment of each word. Examples include Raji-Kase (radio/cassette player) and Ame-Futo (American Football). They also use this method to nickname bands with western sounding names, like Tora-Nesu (Trap Nest) or BLAST (Black Stones).

So in DesuMasu's case, the katakana word Desu is often used as the closest pronunciation to the word "Death" (hence Yu-Gi-Oh cards like Des Koala, Des Wombat). Where as Masu is used to abbreviate "Mask".

So DesuMasu is Desk Mask, but also puns off of DesuMasu which refers to a form of speech.

. . . yeah . . .

Disappointed with the "manliest Pokemon" article. Everyone knows that the manliest Pokemon ever is Reshiram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)