1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #33 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by skylight, Feb 28, 2014.

?

Which was your favourite article this issue?

1. Interview with Treecko

11.4%
  2. Trivia

2.6%
  3. The Smog Awards 2013

21.1%
  4. How to Fit in on PS: Starting Off on the Right Foot!

6.1%
  5. So, you wanna be a master of? Mentoring!

4.4%
  6. Cool stuff to do at the Orange Islands!

4.4%
  7. How Not to Be "That Guy"

8.8%
  8. How Not to Be That Other Guy - A Lesson in Empathy

12.3%
  9. LC Spotlight: Pawniard

6.1%
  10. How The New Guys Fare in OU

14.0%
  11. Whatchu Got? Our Preferred MEvos

13.2%
  12. XY Little Cup: How To Tang Your Dragonfly

6.1%
  13. Viability Doesn't Always Run in the Family

10.5%
  14. Flying-type as offensive STAB

10.5%
  15. Arterview: Andrew

5.3%
  16. Judge a Pokemon: The Cold Shoulder

7.9%
  17. Movie Critics - The Panel: Double Vision

3.5%
  18. I Mustache You to Come Back After You're More Stylish

10.5%
  19. Gifts of Generation VI

11.4%
  20. Aron Chef: Making the Best of the Worst

19.3%
  21. The Chinese Zodiac and the Ubers Metagame

7.9%
  22. Pokerap Battles: Sun vs. Rain

16.7%
  23. The Real Smog Awards

19.3%
  24. Sensible Suggestions for the Troubled

7.9%
  25. Charizard: the Desolation of Smogon

14.0%
  26. Team Flare: Gen VI Antagonists

5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skylight

skylight winner of smogon's most sizzlin' grill 2014
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Issue 33

They're finally here: The Smog Awards! We've recieved over 300 votes, which is amazing and way more than we had last year. Thanks goes to Toast++ for putting together an easy voting system (and vote counting system), and also thanks to you guys for taking the time to vote! You can read all the results here. RODAN has also put together his own version of the awards which you can read about this issue! Continue reading...

We hope you guys like this issue! Unfortunately we've had to say goodbye to Birkal in terms of leadership here, but his contributions aren't forgotten! You can read more about that in the note from the editor. Generally this issue went pretty smoothly despite the delay, so thanks guys for all your effort!​

We, of course, welcome your constructive feedback. You can leave that below and be sure to cast your vote on the poll we've included in this thread. As always, if you would like to write or draw for the Smog, give us a pitch in the Article Approvals subforum.

~ Setsuna, Flora, Toast++, skylight, Bummer, Birkal, and sandshrewz
    Th!nkPi, Az_UK, Setsuna and 8 others like this.
  2. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

Aww yissss, second place best artist. I can die a happy man.
    chameleonskyes, Sephirona and Joim like this.
  3. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence is a three-dimensional retard.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

RIP BIRKAL

glad to have contributed to this issue, as usual!
    Goddess Briyella likes this.
  4. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

First time actually coordinating release, and one of the few times we actually did a US morning / Asia night time release. Probably the most stuff done for me in this issue yet?

Also props to Rocket Grunt for making the cover! Special thanks to our artists who made countless wonderful art pieces too!!! (there was a ton to upload lol!!!) Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this issue :)

Sad to see Birkal leave. He's done many wonderful things during his time here as well. /me pet Birkal

no kacaw anymore :c
  5. Goddess Briyella

Goddess Briyella Unbreakable Heart
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

I'm happy to have been a part of yet another issue of The Smog. I have been reminded of how awesome Redew is. ♥

Also, co-writing with MattL was an awesome experience; hopefully we can collaborate on future projects as well!

This was a good issue for sure!!!! ^_^
  6. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

posting here so people can see my award-winning signature

all hail hypnocorgi
    Hollywood and Oglemi like this.
  7. RODAN

RODAN INFERNO COP
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Best circus poster rodan reporting in
  8. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artist

I wanted to say congratulations to Layell and LU for winning best spriter and runner-up respectively. They've worked so hard since the beginning of the XY project and their work is fantastic. Being nominated was a massive surprise and more than I ever could've asked for.

I don't have time yet to read the other articles but I doubt I'll be disappointed at all. Thanks for another issue, Smog team.
  9. Hulavuta

Hulavuta You're quite bad!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Perfect release timing, I think. I'm glad to have been involved in the Smog again, it was a ton of fun working on this issue with my other two stooges Redew and GatoDelFuego. I'll certainly try to keep being involved, I'd forgotten how fun this is.

(oh, and thanks to Kadew for making me such nice art!)

EDIT: Oh and I want to just give a big thank you to all of the Smog staff, they all work super hard and have to make all the really tough decisions. I really appreciate everything you guys do :)
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    GatoDelFuego likes this.
  10. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego This is what is technically known as a Firecat
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Wow, a big thanks to all that voted in the smog awards! This is like a dream come true for me ~_~

Such a fabulous issue, and it's been a pleasure to work on as always!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  11. Acklow

Acklow

How the fuck did RODAN get best Circus player?

Attention Smogon Users who voted RODAN: RODAN barely even plays Mafia let alone takes part in Circus Maximus activities. He usually idles.
  12. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Peter Gabriel too!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

This series of Smog Awards are for the most part such a sham, I'm flattered I got some noms and awards in during the whole charade.

The combination of Edacosis and Rocket Grunt in a single article is by far the greatest thing to ever occur, they were meant to be.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Level 51 likes this.
  13. Oglemi

Oglemi We broke it. Yes, we were naughty. Completely naughty.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Best Forum Staff Member
    Oglemi
    Treecko

Best Leader
    Oglemi
    Aldaron

/me flex

I will win Best Editor some year, some time. I killed sirn only to have her replaced with Gato. Gato I'd watch ur back @(-.-)@
  14. V0x

V0x Glycine G
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

gato doesn't even use bold he should not have gotten it
  15. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego This is what is technically known as a Firecat
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

16. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

17. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent come at me winter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

oh wow, my article featured in big on the front cover :')

also cant believe i won best mentor, my first smog award! thank you guys :)

im happy :D
    Sephirona and shaymin like this.
  18. Sephirona

Sephirona t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
    is an Artist

It was tons of fun working with everyone on this issue, you all did amazing!

Thanks again to Cherub for doing the Charizard article so I could keep drawing for it, haha. You are such a pal *v*

Can't wait to read through it all~*~
    Cherub Agent likes this.
  19. shaymin

shaymin we are at the mercy of our colors.
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

I'm proud that I wrote my first ever article for The Smog! n_n Glad I can contribute and help out not only The Smog, but to other new users as well who were hopefully wondering how to fit in to the PS community. I also want to thank everyone that helped with my article!

Now for that annoying typo to be fixed in the forth paragraph or so. ~_~ yay it's fixed now!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  20. chameleonskyes

chameleonskyes red
    is an Artist

As always, I'm happy to have been a part of this issue. It just makes me incredibly honored to see my art being featured alongside so many amazing pieces from amazing artists; awesome job, everyone!

I also wrote my first article for The Smog this issue. Thanks so much to Bummer for approving the article, Kingler and Redew for GP, and Redew and sandz for the HTML! <3

And lastly, a big thanks for those who voted for me (and the OU Council art ahahaha) in the Smog Awards :3
  21. Andrew

Andrew beep boop
    is an Artist
    Mentor

Thanks to Bummer for making me look good in my interview, it was awesome as usual participating in this issue of the Smog!
  22. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Behold, it is I, the drunkest of them all!!!

Snazzy work from all the contributors this issue; these peeps deserve some major props. Birkaderp, we'll miss you~
    Level 51 and Hollywood like this.
  23. PenguinKnight

PenguinKnight

Preferred Mevos was well done, enjoyed it.

I feel that the "How not to be that guy" article is also extremely important and should be recommended reading for every new user signing into smogon.....especially after reading the recent suspect discussions on MKang, MLuke/Genesect and Prankster-Swagger.
    Birkal likes this.
  24. alexwolf

alexwolf Rain Summoner
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Haven't read the issue yet, just posting to say thx to the people who voted in the awards and to the people that work hard for this web-zine, you guys are all great, keep up the good job!
  25. Yamato-san

Yamato-san

I checked out the Flying-type STAB article... while I feel its status of not being nullified by anything is often overlooked, I never realized it had gotten to be this viable. I remember some analyses back in gen3 pointing out that Flying is essentially useless without STAB, but I guess this was all before the advent of Brave Bird, Air Slash, Acrobatics, and Hurricane. Makes me all the more pissed that GameFreak, when they're finally updating the type chart for the first time in over a decade, didn't take the opportunity to give Ice a Flying resistance (aside from the fact that it's begging for ANY resistance, wind against ice really does make the most sense to me, at least so much as Rock suggests there's no such thing as wind erosion in GameFreak's minds). BTW, one thing I'd like to point out:

Shedinja's immune to Fairy, so no. Rock and Dark are the only types Flying shares that privilege with.

Bummer Edit: Shedinja's immunity is due to its ability, and not type.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)