XY OU It's A Bug's Life

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Introduction:

Hey everyone! QueBien here, with my first ever Rate My Team, which marks my 500th post! This is one of my older teams, but one of the best OU teams I've created so far. The team is based around Heracross-Mega (hence the name, courtesy of Recreant). To be honest, when I was creating this team, I didn't put too much thought into the team; I just thought I'd put together a couple of decent Pokemon and see how well it worked. After a couple of wins, I discovered the team performed pretty well, so I decided to make a few changes to improve it as much as possible. With this RMT, I hope to get some of your views on how to enhance it further!

At a Glance:

I wanted to try out a Pokemon I had never used before, and Heracross seemed the perfect way to start the team off.

Next was Scolipede, who can provide the extra stat boosts Heracross needs while also having the capability to attack if the need be.

Third was Thundurus-T, to take the role of special sweeper while also checking a major threat so far: Talonflame.

After Thundurus-T came Mamoswine, to provide three things: Stealth Rock, bulk, and power.

Fifth was Victini, a Pokemon with a moveset and stats almost perfect to assume the place for revenge killer.

Last but not least comes Bisharp, whose Defiant lets it switch into defoggers, demolish the common Latios, etc.

In-Depth:

Purple Unihorn x) (Heracross) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: No
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Substitute

This bulky Bug-type has an attack stat to match once mega evolved. Rock Blast provides good coverage while Pin Missile provides a reliable STAB move except when against hax. Close Combat with STAB results in a massive 180 base power, which in and of itself can take out many common opponents. Its attack and its movepool combined with its Mega ability Skill Link lets it devour almost any kind of wall, even without any attack boosts. Rock Blast can 2HKO physically defensive Clefable, while Pin Missile and Close Combat take out Chansey and Slowbro Mega with no problem. Prankster Sableye does pose a slight problem with Will-o-Wisp which almost voids Heracross' ability to attack, which is where Substitute comes into play. Unfortunately, however, Heracross' poor typing leaves it a sitting duck for Talonflame. It's poor speed stat also hinders Heracross' capability of sweeping, which is where Scolipede joins the show.

I hate Bugs :/ (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

The classic Baton Passer, Scolipede possesses just the stat boosts Heracross needs, making it a great partner. I originally had Earthquake in place of Megahorn, due to its consistency and coverage, but Megahorn's sheer power makes it a better choice over Earthquake. Scolipede's main job is to Baton Pass to Heracross, but if necessary, it can use the boosts accrued over a few turns to its own advantage. With Megahorn, Scolipede can take care of a few common threats like Tyranitar and Gardevoir with only slight--if any--effort. Sash is a must, over the other common choice of the Substitute set, due to Scolipede's high weakness to priority. However, Scolipede is pretty easily countered, and the issue of Taunt results in Scolipede not being able to do its main job.

Whatcha Gonna Do? (Thundurus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast

Ah, Thundurus-Therian. Its access to Nasty Plot, coupled with 145 special attack, makes Thundy a deadly threat. Thunderbolt provides a reliable STAB move with high power, while Hidden Power Flying, while not powerful to start, becomes a decent second STAB move after a Nasty Plot. I originally ran Hidden Power Ice in place of Hidden Power Flying to give common threats such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Gliscor a run for their money, but in the end chose HP Flying for the STAB bonus. I also had Psychic instead of Focus Blast, just because I hated the 70% accuracy, but Psychic serves no real use on Thundy and Focus Blast's power makes up for the accuracy loss. Again, Thundurus-Therian has a slight issue with priority, being 2HKOed by Weavile/Mamoswine's Ice Shard or Bisharp's Sucker Punch.

Unpredictable (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Mamoswine serves as an alternate lead besides Scolipede. After the mandatory Stealth Rock, I chose Knock Off to get rid of those pesky Leftovers and Life Orbs, not to mention Chansey's Eviolite, that are oh so common in the meta. Oblivious helps Mamoswine avoid the almost inevitable Taunt, letting it set up the crucial Stealth Rock without a hitch. Earthquake's power increases to a high 150 base power from STAB, which combined with its decent bulk, allows for Mamoswine to wear down opponents while absorbing hits, to finish them off with Ice Shard. However, Mamoswine lacks enough power to efficiently take out some of the most common threats; this spot is filled by Victini.

Mew <3 (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Victini's movepool has some significant moves that lead to its being a sufficient revenge killer. It's access to V-create, the most powerful move in the game that does not faint the user, not to mention getting STAB from it, makes Victini a very viable threat in the metagame. V-create knocks out most of the offensive threats that don't resist it in one hit, and usually 2HKO almost everything else. Bolt Strike provides some more coverage, but while not one hitting many threats, does do substantial damage. Zen Headbutt is Victini's best second STAB move, but unfortunately does not have enough power to take out many common opponents such as Keldeo in one hit. It helps to have U-turn for when the opponent sends in a counter, letting Victini switch out to one of the other members of the team, making it a decent pivot. Scarf is necessary for Victini here so as to outspeed multiple threats such as Landorus-T and Gyarados.

Deathstroke (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Bisharp has been my favorite Pokemon for a long while, and for good reason, as it fares pretty well in the current metagame. With Defog being a common hazard remover, Bisharp takes advantage of this by using the evasion drop to boost attack. Knock Off is essential on Bisharp to provide a go-to move for when the opponent switches. With STAB and Bisharp's already high attack, Knock Off is a valuable move on Bisharp's set. Iron Head is Bisharp's second STAB move, which not only covers common Fairy threats like Gardevoir, but also gives Bisharp a chance to avoid a possible death move with a 30% chance to flinch. Sucker Punch, while less reliable than Knock Off or Iron Head, makes for an easy finishing off or a knockout move for opponents after Stealth Rock like Megazard Y. Brick Break lets Bisharp take on many more opponents such as opposing Bisharps thanks to the coverage, and also destroys those pesky little screens to make screen-setters like Klefki useless. Lastly, thanks to Focus Sash, Bisharp is able take a priority hit and retaliate or live after using a move to finish what it started.

Unpredictable (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Whatcha Gonna Do? (Thundurus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

Deathstroke (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Conclusion:

The team has performed well in the past, but one of the major issues is the ratio of physical to special hitters. If Thundurus-Therian faints, the team has no real backup to counter special walls. Another problem is that of no recovery. With no Heal Bell, Wish, Protect, or similar, the team is left wide open for status moves, which could very possibly cripple it. In addition, the frequency of hazards makes Focus Sash less reliable. The last complication I can think of is the lack of any defensively strong Pokemon. Mamoswine has a high HP stat, as does Heracross, but besides the two, most of the team would not be able to take a strong hit.

Shoutouts:

These users made my Smogon and/or PS! experience awesome, and I hope to share many more with them in the future!

DarkNostalgia: DankNostalgia imo ;)
Deathly ♛The King: ewe w0t m8 D:<
Delta Tea: You need to get on Showdown more imo :o
firehusky: Why's your profile private? ;~;
Kingler12345: Thanks for giving me advice when I needed it and helping me improve (you're still Kingnerd12345, though ;D )
Kingslayer2779: METAL :O
Lcass4919: You have the best quotes of all time imo xD
Leafshield: Thanks for being a funny guy in Showdown and making my PS! experience fun :]
Loyd: You're a great guy to talk to. Thanks for that. :)
Piccolo Daimao: Thanks for welcoming me to the OM room and making my experience in Showdown a lot better by making me feel like I belong. Also, thanks for introducing me to fanfiction.net c;
Ransei: You're a funny guy but still a nub imo >:D
Recreant: Special shoutout to you: thanks for helping me make this RMT and helping with the team. Thank you for being a funny person to talk to and for giving me the most alerts of my day ~(^.^)~
ThePack: Here I was thinking everybody else had gotten past the Calvin and Hobbes stage. n_n Thanks for being kind and making my Smogon experience entertaining.
unfixable: Thank you for helping me improve as a user by giving me pointers along the way. You are a really interesting user and I thank you for that. n_n
Uselesscrab: You're a really great guy and I don't think you realize that c:
xzern: The one who makes me laugh regularly xd

Thanks for reading!

EDIT:
Sharknado (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

Deathstroke (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Last edited:
Hey man, really cool team with the addition of some very underrated threats in Mega Heracross and Scolipede! Like most well structured teams, there is really never a lot to say or change, however I have noticed that your team has an incredible weakness to both Swords Dance And Choice Banded Talonflame. Being a hyper offensive build, it is expected that you will not be able to counter every single Pokemon as this would defeat the point of the style of play and is impossible to do with any other styles in general. In saying this though, nothing on your team can handle it when at +2 and although Bisharp has focus sash, the possibility of it breaking is not unreasonable. So for these reasons I believe you should use Tank Garchomp > Mamoswine, seeing as it not only deal with offensive Talonflame variations, but is also considered to be one of the best stealth rockers in the current meta. Due to this, I believe it can find itself a spot on your squad with ease and will provide greater results in future games!

I hope you were able to gain something out of my rate and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours with the team! I would also like to congratulate you on 500 posts!

I notice at first glance that your team has a really hard time against M-Diancie,M-Metagross,+1 M-Altaria,Keldeo and Stealth Rocks and other entry hazards.M-Diancie just rips past your team with ease as you have no switch ins,same goes for M-Metagross, nothing except Victini outspeeds it.M-Altaria can come in on M-Heracross or Thundurus and proceed to DD up and sweep you.The lack of hazard removal will really hurt your team seeing as to how you have 3 mons weak to it and two mons that will be taking neutral damage.I also noticed that your sets are sub optimal,for eg:Bisharp w/Focus Sash and 252 HP EVs.The idea of HP Investment is to take some hits so you'll be better of running Speed instead.Also,Focus Sash is only good for lead SR Bisharp which you don't have.

Suggestions:
  • As HeiDoe mentioned,I'd change Mamowsine to TankChomp because it does a better job at handling M-Metagross although you lose to Ice Punch.It's a better check to it though.
  • Thundurus-I>Thundurus-T,granted Thundy-T has more SpA,it doesn't out speed mons like Keldeo,Gengar,Lati@s M-Metagross,M-Diancie and hits them pretty hard too.
  • Life Orb over Focus Sash on Bisharp.LO is a really good item on Bisharp because of the boost it provides, access to SD and Defiant make it quite terrifying.

Sets:
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick/Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature(Timid if you go for Focus Blast)
- Superpower/Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Hope I helped.

QueBien

Hey man, really cool team with the addition of some very underrated threats in Mega Heracross and Scolipede! Like most well structured teams, there is really never a lot to say or change, however I have noticed that your team has an incredible weakness to both Swords Dance And Choice Banded Talonflame. Being a hyper offensive build, it is expected that you will not be able to counter every single Pokemon as this would defeat the point of the style of play and is impossible to do with any other styles in general. In saying this though, nothing on your team can handle it when at +2 and although Bisharp has focus sash, the possibility of it breaking is not unreasonable. So for these reasons I believe you should use Tank Garchomp > Mamoswine, seeing as it not only deal with offensive Talonflame variations, but is also considered to be one of the best stealth rockers in the current meta. Due to this, I believe it can find itself a spot on your squad with ease and will provide greater results in future games!

I hope you were able to gain something out of my rate and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours with the team! I would also like to congratulate you on 500 posts!
I notice at first glance that your team has a really hard time against M-Diancie,M-Metagross,+1 M-Altaria,Keldeo and Stealth Rocks and other entry hazards.M-Diancie just rips past your team with ease as you have no switch ins,same goes for M-Metagross, nothing except Victini outspeeds it.M-Altaria can come in on M-Heracross or Thundurus and proceed to DD up and sweep you.The lack of hazard removal will really hurt your team seeing as to how you have 3 mons weak to it and two mons that will be taking neutral damage.I also noticed that your sets are sub optimal,for eg:Bisharp w/Focus Sash and 252 HP EVs.The idea of HP Investment is to take some hits so you'll be better of running Speed instead.Also,Focus Sash is only good for lead SR Bisharp which you don't have.

Suggestions:
  • As HeiDoe mentioned,I'd change Mamowsine to TankChomp because it does a better job at handling M-Metagross although you lose to Ice Punch.It's a better check to it though.
  • Thundurus-I>Thundurus-T,granted Thundy-T has more SpA,it doesn't out speed mons like Keldeo,Gengar,Lati@s M-Metagross,M-Diancie and hits them pretty hard too.
  • Life Orb over Focus Sash on Bisharp.LO is a really good item on Bisharp because of the boost it provides, access to SD and Defiant make it quite terrifying.

Sets:
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick/Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature(Timid if you go for Focus Blast)
- Superpower/Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Hope I helped.
Thanks for the rates! I agree, Tank Garchomp would be of value to the team. It provides the defensive support the team needs, and better fulfills Mamoswine's role of hazard setter due to its speed. Garchomp also takes down opponents who are setting up; something the team didn't have before. I'll use the EQ/Dragon Tail/SR/Toxic set because Toxic would aid in dealing with bulky Pokemon like Rotom-W. I also agree about the Bisharp set; 248 HP is enough for it to take a hit, and Focus Sash isn't very reliable, so I'll use the Low Kick version of the LO set. Thundurus-Incarnate can outperform Thundurus-Therian due to its access to Prankster and Nasty Plot coupled with its speed, so I'll use the Focus Blast/Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Nasty Plot set.

Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Thanks for the rate! I agree, Tank Garchomp would be of value to the team. It provides the defensive support the team needs, and better fulfills Mamoswine's role of hazard setter due to its speed. Garchomp also takes down opponents who are setting up; something the team didn't have before. I'll use the EQ/Dragon Tail/SR/Toxic set because Toxic would aid in dealing with bulky Pokemon like Rotom-W. I also agree about the Bisharp set; 248 HP is enough for it to take a hit, and Focus Sash isn't very reliable, so I'll use the Low Kick version of the LO set. Thundurus-Incarnate can outperform Thundurus-Therian due to its access to Prankster and Nasty Plot coupled with its speed, so I'll use the Focus Blast/Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Nasty Plot set.

Again, thanks for the help!
No problem at all :]

Hello QueBien, nice Mega Heracross squad. Few small tweaks.

First, I would run Agility on Thundurus-T over Nasty Plot, and also change HP Ice to HP Flying. The former turns it into more of an offensive cleaner while still retaining the ability to abuse its wide coverage to cause damage. NP Thundy-T also seems a little less useful with a wallbreaker as strong as Heracross. The latter allows it to beat bulky Ground types like Gliscor. Second, I would go from Scarf Victini to Banded Victini. Scarf is overall less effective than Band, especially when the speed drop from V-Create mostly negates the advantage Scarf offers quickly. Banded Tini also pairs better with Heracross as a secondary breaker because of its ability to come in and check bulky Fairies like Clefable and defensive Mega Altaria.

Sash Bish isn't a great set tbh. You also has two pokes that really don't deal with Talonflame well, in addition to not having a terribly easy time muscling past the Lati@s twins. I would go with Scarf TTar over Bisharp in this slot, as it can switch into Birds quite easily, as well as Pursuit trapping some common Thundy-T switch-ins.

I would also run a max speed Adamant Heracross set, as you want to be moderately fast to outspeed otherwise common checks. I would also run max speed Adamant on Mamoswine, as the added bulk doesn't help it too much.

Hope this all helps :)

Victini @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility
- Focus Blast

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

---

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

QueBien

Hello QueBien, nice Mega Heracross squad. Few small tweaks.

First, I would run Agility on Thundurus-T over Nasty Plot, and also change HP Ice to HP Flying. The former turns it into more of an offensive cleaner while still retaining the ability to abuse its wide coverage to cause damage. NP Thundy-T also seems a little less useful with a wallbreaker as strong as Heracross. The latter allows it to beat bulky Ground types like Gliscor. Second, I would go from Scarf Victini to Banded Victini. Scarf is overall less effective than Band, especially when the speed drop from V-Create mostly negates the advantage Scarf offers quickly. Banded Tini also pairs better with Heracross as a secondary breaker because of its ability to come in and check bulky Fairies like Clefable and defensive Mega Altaria.

Sash Bish isn't a great set tbh. You also has two pokes that really don't deal with Talonflame well, in addition to not having a terribly easy time muscling past the Lati@s twins. I would go with Scarf TTar over Bisharp in this slot, as it can switch into Birds quite easily, as well as Pursuit trapping some common Thundy-T switch-ins.

I would also run a max speed Adamant Heracross set, as you want to be moderately fast to outspeed otherwise common checks. I would also run max speed Adamant on Mamoswine, as the added bulk doesn't help it too much.

Hope this all helps :)

Victini @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility
- Focus Blast

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

---

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Thanks for the rate, Celticpride!
I think I'll keep Nasty Plot on Thundurus because with NP it can sweep a team with ease (I actually got a 5-0 sweep just recently using NP just once), and its speed is above average already. I also think I'll keep HP Ice, because of the many ground types present, such as Garchomp, allowing for Thundurus to better fulfill its role. However, I completely agree with your suggestion about Band Victini. Considering that Victini doesn't have enough attack to OHKO common threats, Choice Band would help a lot. I've edited my post with the current version; sorry about the delay. I've switched Mamoswine to Garchomp because the latter is significantly faster and also plays as a tank, but as for Heracross, I don't think I can afford to change it to max speed, because attack and bulk is important for Heracross to be able to switch in to a hit and to dish out hits, but I think I can change the EV spread to 248 HP/148 Attack/112 Speed/Adamant Nature to give Heracross enough speed to outspeed a few threats. Seeing as Heracross should receive from Scolipede, HP is the most important I think. As for Bisharp, I've changed it to the Life Orb set, but I'll consider Tyranitar. Again, thanks for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)