It's a SUPERACHIIIIII!

After playing over and over again with my old teams, I start to get bored. As I went into battle, I begun to do things more out of reflex and formulas, rather than having to think about the moves I was making. Whenever I saw a pokemon, there was a set pattern I went though to beat it. This was boring. So I decided to make a new team.

I wanted to base it around a pokemon, as I have had some successful teams using this concept before. So I was looking down the OU list, when I saw Jirachi's name. Sure, I had used Jirachi before, but I remembered seeing a set in there called "Superachi!" that I thought looked quite cool. So I started to make a team around it.

Team Building

Now, I started off with Jirachi, so.......

Next I looked at what resisted his moveset. One of these pokemon was that that troublesome fellow, Latias. Now, I didn't just want something that could counter it (Blissey), I wanted something that could lure it out, and kill it. This is where I thought of CB Ape with U-turn. Whenever an Infernape is seen, Latias rushes over to get a look. Then Infernape hands it the beat-down with U-turn.

The next pokemon that I saw could resist all of my attacks was Heatran. Like Latias, I wanted something that could lure it out and kill it. I begun to compile a list of pokemon that draw Heatran out, and I thought of Scizor. Now I needed the set. If I were to use the CB set, it would take prediction to nail it with Superpower. So I decided to use a SubScizor set.

Now I looked at the type weaknesses of the team. I had two Ground, and two Fire weak. This needed fixing. I also needed a revenge killer. So ScarfLatias was the pokemon I needed.

Next I figured that Latias wasn't actually bulky enough to be my only resist to these types. So I needed a bulky pokemon, that could also do some damage. The first thing that came to mind was Kingdrom's BulkyGyara set.

Now I needed a lead. I wanted SR, but I also wanted it to stay alive later on in the game. So Empoleon it was.

Now after some play testing of this team, I found that Latias was a bit of a dead-weight and just ended up being walled by Blissey. It needed to be replaced. I still needed a revenge killer, and I like my Choice Item holders to either know Trick of U-turn. So I hunted and hunted, and finally decided on ScarfGon.

And the team was complete.

Empoleon (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 160 HP/96 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

This lead is classic goodness. Out of the top ten used leads, it beats 8 of them. Azelf is killed by the Hydro Pump/Aqua Jet combo. Metagross is outsped on the standard set, and 2HKO’Ed. Swampert is outsped and OHKO'ed by Grass Knot. Aerodactyl is killed by Hydro Pump/Aqua Jet. Jirachi is 2HKO’Ed by Hydro Pump. With Infernape, it will Fake Out first turn. Then it will Close Combat, which the Chople Berry will prevent from KOing. I then hit with Hydro Pump. And finish with Aqua Jet. I lose clean to Roserade, with noting to take the sleep. Heatran is OHKO with Hydro Pump, after surviving Earth Power. Smeargle is the same as Roserade. Hippowdon is Hydro Pumped to kill. The EVs are simple. 252 SAtk for super-duper power. 96 Spd outspeeds standard Metagross lead. And the rest was put into HP for it to live for longer.

Electric attacks go to Flygon, although it can usually take a Rotom/Starmie Thunderbolt.
Ground attacks go to Gyarados and Flygon.
Fighting attacks are usually taken first hit, due to Chople berry, but they go to Gyarados afterwards.

Infernape (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Mach Punch

Infernape is Latias Killer Extraordinaire. Close Combat and Flare Blitz have the power to 2HKO everything in OU, that doesn't resist it. U-turn allows Infernape to do general scouting, and to hit common switchins like Latias, Cress and Starmie hard. Mach Punch rounds off the set, allowing me to revenge some threats, like Lucario, if their counter in my team is already down. CB Ape is insanely scary in battle, and has earnt a very valuable place on my team for opening up holes in the opponent quickly, so that another member of the team can sweep with ease.

Psychic attacks go to Empoleon, Scizor and Jirachi.
Water attacks go to Empoleon and Gyarados.
Flying attacks go to Empoleon and Jirachi.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP/64 Atk/184 Def/44 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

I love this set.

The Ev's are crafted to meet the lofty expectations I had set. 216 HP Ev's reaches a total of 385, one more than the maximum leftovers point to yield an odd number indivisible by four (in case that SR could not be removed). The defense investment and nature gives a jump point and allows Gyarados to survive a +0 Outrage from LO Salamence, as well as surviving +2 Stone Edge from Jolly Hyper Cutter Gliscor, each with SR damage accounted for to be safe. Adamant Lucario +1 Close Combat, the most powerful attack most SD Lucarios can muster, only manages 45%. This specific investment gives it the liberty to deal with physical and special Infernape, since it can survive a +1 Infernape Stone Edge and Grass Knot from Mix ape does insignificant damage. 44 Ev's in speed yields 209, enough to beat no speed Cresselia and Rotom as well as Lucario after one DD and all Scarf Heatran after 2 DD's. The rest was put into attack, which guarantees an OHKO on Salamence with Stone Edge after SR and LO damage. Without Stone Edge, this is significant as it means that Breloom's Substitute will always be broken if it runs 4 HP (not a bad idea in itself) and standard Breloom's Sub is broken around 83% of the time. As I run EQ more often, I have considered running enough speed to beat standard Empoleon before an Agility so that I can prevent its setup.
Epoc description by Kingdrom. As for what it does for my team, it is the bulky resist to Fire/Ground/Fighting moves, that can be rather common. And with two Fire weaks, three Ground weaks and a Fighting weak, this can be vital. It can also serve as a great scout to see if the opponent packs a Rotom. Gyarados serves many purposes, from tanking hits, countering Lucario and Scizor like a bamf to being able to sweep himself, and cause some damage in the opponent's team.

Electric attacks go to Flygon.
Rock attacks go to Empoleon, Flygon and Jirachi.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Thunderpunch

I have used this set before on many teams, and I love it. On this team, Flygon serves as the revenge killer, and the resistor of Electric moves, due to the two weaks that I have in this team. Moves are simple, but will still explain for some of the more simple people out there. Earthquake is general purpose STAB move used to KO things like DDTar, Metagross, Infernape, Heatran and you get the picture. Although I find that I don't use it as much as other moves, due to the number of Fliers and Levitators out there. Outrage is the super-STAB that I use to rip holes in teams quickly. U-turn is the win-scout move that I use the most on this set, so I can see what their counter to Flygon is. This allows me to kill said counter off and do even more damage with this green devil. Thunderpunch is used here over Stone Edge after having some hearty misses, when trying to revenge Gyarados. 252/252 for maximum power and speed is obvious. Flygon also serves as my main check to Salamence, as I can switch in on a predicted EQ, and KO with Outrage. If it's Hasty, I'm ****ed.

Ice attacks go to Empoleon, Scizor and Jirachi.
Dragon attacks go to Empoleon, Scizor and Flygon.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 28 HP/252 Atk/180 Def/48 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

This set is amaze. It can take on two of Scizor's best counters, in Heatran and Magnezone. I switch it in on something like a Tyranitar Crunch, and Sub up. They bring in a Magnezone to try and trap/kill me. I then take the Scarfed HP Fire. Lose my Sub. And KO with Superpower. Doing this is vital for the team, as Heatran is one of the best counters for SuperRachi, because it resists all of its moves. Magnezone can also be a pain, trapping it. Substitute is a great move for scouting, and easing prediction. It allows me to find their Scizor counter, and either kills it off, or run away with U-turn, after losing my Sub. This is done in the case of Rotom/Gyarados. Bullet Punch rounds off the set as emergency priority for revenging, incase Flygon goes down. EVs are kinda simple. Max Attack for raw power. 48 Speed outruns standard Steel Killer Magnezone, allowing me to leave my Sub intact. 28 HP means that I can set up 5 Subs from 100% HP, and is a Lefties number. The rest was put into Def for general survivability.

Fire attacks go to Gyarados.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 76 HP/180 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is the pokemon that this team is based around. After all of the mid-game switchin and weakening of the foes, and maybe a few casualties, this pokemon comes in to clean up. Jirachi usually comes out late game, to finish the opponent off. The combination of decent speed, decent bulk, a good movepool and decent attacking stats make it perfect. After just one CM, it can OHKO most of the usual counters to Jirachi sets, such as Hippowdon and Swampert. Psychic is the STAB move that comes with a handy 20% chance to lower SDef, meaning that it can sometimes take on a weakened Blissey. Grass Knot covers the Ground and Water types, also gaining important coverage vs. Tyranitar, managing a 2HKO after just one CM on standard 252/0 CBTar. Hidden Power Fire rounds off the set with coverage against steels, such as Scizor and Magnezone. EVs mean that Jirachi's speed hits 308, outpacing all positive natured base 90s and neutral natured base 100s, such as Jolly Lucario and Naughty Salamence. Max SAtk is for maximum power. And the rest is put into HP for bulk. Uses leftovers over Life Orb and the like, so that it can stay alive for longer and sweep longer. Overall, this is the pokemon that makes the team, and finishes off all of the pokemon in the foe's team.

Fire attacks go to Gyarados.

And so that is it. And btw, credit for epic art (Bar Flygon) goes to the wonderful Blue Ace.

Hey there.

As far as your team goes, I don't really see anything that will give it much trouble. Your team handles the top 20 Pokemon just fine as far as I can tell. On that note, I would like to suggest some minor changes that could potentially increase the effectiveness of the team.

First, I'd think that you would do much better running a Life Orb Infernape instead of your current set. Choice Band doesn't necessarily miss out on any KOes that the Physically Based MixApe doesn't, so being able to switch between attacks will be of most help to you.

The set is as follows...

Infernape @ Life Orb
Blaze | 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
Close Combat / Stone Edge / U-turn / Overheat

Switching to this set maintains most of the power from the other set in exchange for being able to switch between attacks as well. Overheat will allow you to pick of Steel-types such as Skarmory should the need arise, but Mach Punch if an option if you're in need of additional priority. Additionally, running this set will prevent Pokemon from getting a free turn to set-up on your Choiced attack.

On Gyarados, I am going to have to recommend Stone Edge over Earthquake. Paired with Waterfall, you get better coverage by using Stone Edge along with it rather than Earthquake. Running Earthquake will allow you to deal damage to opposing Gyarados and Salamence without forcing you to switch out and take Stealth Rock damage upon switching back in.

Just my two cents. Don't be afraid to PM me if you require any assistance, and good luck.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there, before starting with the rate, in Flash's last paragraph he meant "Running Stone Edge will allow you to deal damage to opposing Gyarados and Salamence..." ;)
And yes, I agree with him, Stone Edge is a superior option for DD Gyarados almost always, and this set is not the exception.

On Scizor I would like you to move those Def EVs to SpD as Scizor is already pretty bulky by that side. One thing I have notice this team doesn't like to face is offensive Starmie, and moving those 180 effort values to the special side make you able to resist a 299 SpA + LO Hydro Pump from the "star" and then kill it off.

On Infernape, why don't you just run a Swords Dance set? I don't precisely like this idea of Flygon Scarf + CB Ape because I see more valuable the idea of a important physical sweeper and you aren't currently doing too much by banding Ape.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Jolly nature.
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch / Blaze Kick

Once you get an opportunity to lunch a SD, if the opponent doesn't have a proper answer to the sweeper they will in trouble, and that's perfect for Jirachi.

On the other hand, I see that MixApe could be also a goo addition to the team, hitting by both sides of the spectrum and frustrating some pokes like Tran, Mence, Pert at the same time. I suggest you to try both (SD and Mix), this would be the set for the second option: Naive - 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe with: Close Combat / Fire Blast / Grass Knot / HP Ice.
The fact is that I am seeing both sets working pretty well, but after test them you will tell us if that was the case or I was wrong ;)

Gyarados' set will thank so much Wish support, but adding a poke that could do that would mean change other things in the team and that's not the idea here as you are currently having a decent synergy and good coverage in general. So I just mention it.

Good luck!

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Continuing on with Setsuna's rate, you might want to use a Physically Based Life Orb set for Infernape. The idea behind that is that Choice Band limits your team's momentum when you're not using U-turn and makes it easier for enemy threats to set up on Infernape. Even though your team can handle those opponents, its still better to not let them set up in the first place. Also, this allows Infernape to hit more physically-inclined walls with Overheat. You do lose a slight drop in power, but the freedom of changing moves helps out with that. Try out this set:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive | 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Close Combat | Stone Edge | U-turn | Overheat

Close Combat hits only slightly weaker than a CB'ed one, while Stone Edge can handle Salamence switchins. U-turn is there to handle Latias switchins, while Overheat hits Skarmory and Forretress hard. If you find yourself slightly weaker to Lucario and Subpetaya Empoleon, you can use Mach Punch over Stone Edge to revenge kill them.

Also, with Flygon, you really want to use a Jolly nature. The reason behind this is that many other Choice Scarf Flygon and DD Salamence have positively natured speeds. By running Adamant, you immediately lose to all of those. You do lose a small amount of power, but by not running a Jolly nature you immediately lose to faster opponents.

Other than that, go with Setsuna's Gyarados and Scizor's suggestions for the reasons stated above.

Good luck!

Wow. Thanks heaps for the rates, guys.

The idea of a Physical based Mix-Ape is a great one, as I often find myself frustrasted at getting locked into a move, then something that can resist the move I was using would switch in. I will definitely take that advice.

I will playtest the Jolly natured Flygon and the Stone Edge change on Gyarados.

Thanks again for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)