XY Doubles It's a Trap Room!

TRAPPED IN THE TRICK ROOM

Strategic Breakdown:

• Versatile, Bulky, slow, Trick Room setters that can do their job without hinderance as well as provide strong support, coverage and lasting utility.
  • Two, very slow, Bulky, Choice specs sweepers with very wide super effective coverage (and very strong STAB attacks) that can trap OHKO.
  • A very strong, slow, Physical sweeper with great typing and bulk to clean up during the endgame.

Aromatisse @ Light Clay
Lead, TR setter, Dual Screens, Cleric.

Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Heal Pulse

My lead, alongside Jellicent. Normally Jelly sets up the room while Aroma will set up a reflect or Light screen as apropriate. But if say I'm faced with a Breloom then then I have both Trick Room so it goes up whomever gets Spored. Aroma Veil removes the taunt threat that could otherwise cripple me.

Having the forcefeilds up makes my already bulky team very hard to KO, meaning more trick rooms get to go up and more KO's for me. Aroma can also babysit a sweeper using super fast trick room Heal pulses to allow for prolonged rampages.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Lead, TR setter, Sweeper.

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Fake out Immune, TR setter that can come in on hydro pumps and scalds, and do decent damage with the STAB Shadow ball and Scald. Leading with two trick roomers gives me options on turn one while insuring the that the room always goes up.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trapper, Specs Sweeper.

Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Gothitelle and Magnezone are my mid game sweepers, both wired to OHKO as many pokes as they can with super effective attacks that can't be switched away from, Gothitelle can also trap on behalf of others, keeping pokemon in for Reuniclus to Focus Blast, Jellicent to Shadow Ball or Mawile to Set up on.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trapper, Specs Sweeper.

Ability: Magnet Pull
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Works with Gothitelle, can survive earthquakes and fireblasts behind the screens, and OHKO back. Switches in easily on Grass and Ghost attacks flying towards Jelliscent. Gothitelle can trap fairies for it to dispose of with STAB Flash Cannon.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
TR setter, Sweeper.

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Very Flexible, very hard to kill, in my last battle he survived despite taking losing cumulative 237.6% of his HP. Under the trick Room he can OHKO just as well Gothitelle and Magnezone despite not having specs, which incidenlty allows him to become a back up trick roomer, allowing him to set up his own sweeps.

Mawile @ Mawilite
End game Sweeper.

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Saving the best till last, honestly I have won a large amount of battles where Mawile hasn't seen any play at all. A late game sweeper that comes in after my special sweepers have trapped and eliminated most of the the opposing team.

EDIT/UPDATE - 22/11/2014
.................................................................................................................................................
I thought I would add this on on for posterity sakes even if the ship has sailed on this thread. I present you with my latest modification to the team!

Dusclops @ Eviolite
TR setter, Utility, Support.

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpD / 160 Def
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Helping Hand
- Night Shade

A reoccurring thorn in my side was Jellicent's weakness to common attacks like Thunderbolt that could OHKO him on turn one and so I've been testing Dusclops as a sturdier replacment and it's working great! Though I lose Jellicents decent offensive capabilities Dusclops is near impossible to Knock out on turn one as well as being fakeout and taunt immune [next to armoatisse]. His super fast trick room Will-O-wisps allows me to ruin big offensive threats on turn two which in conjunction with reflect give the team another boast to it's already potent defences.

I thought I'd attach his most hilairious battle.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-165974300

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool full Trick Room team. Anyway, one glaring issue is the lack of Protect on your movesets. Being able to scout plays, predict double targets and create free turns and other useful things makes Protect the most useful move in the tier and should almost always be used. For that reason I would switch in Protect over the following moves: Light Screen, Energy Ball, Volt Switch and Iron Head.

Ok, after looking at this team, I see a really big weakness to Mega Mawile and Sun teams, Mega Mawile can single-handedly KO about 4 Pokemon on your team.
Calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Jellicent: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 344-406 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 418-492 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Aromatisse: 462-546 (113.7 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I saw replace Magnezone or Reuniclus with Intimidate 0 Speed Arcanine, which can ruin Mawile's day, and make Charizard feel sad with a Wild Charge.
That's pretty much all you need to fix this team.

Hey there, cool full Trick Room team. Anyway, one glaring issue is the lack of Protect on your movesets. Being able to scout plays, predict double targets and create free turns and other useful things makes Protect the most useful move in the tier and should almost always be used. For that reason I would switch in Protect over the following moves: Light Screen, Energy Ball, Volt Switch and Iron Head.
Early versions of these team had protect on various mons but I rarely found a use for it.

Protect on Magnezone or Gothitell seems futile seeing as they both run choice specs. Also given the manner in which I use them, switching in once trick room is up for guaranteed OHKOs, scouting moves or wasting my opponents turns isn't really on the agenda. Energy ball allows Gothitelle to trap and OHKO Swampert, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Marowack etc... it's invaluable.

There are very few, if any, situations where using protect to stall can help my team, only Jellicent has a residual heal in leftovers. Aromatisse's Heal Pulse can't go through protect, and most of it's value comes from being able to set up 7 turn dual screens. Iron head is an invaluable STAB attack for Mawile and is my only other means of hitting bulky fairies other than Flash cannon.

Generally speaking protect seems very wasteful on this team considering my mandate is to cause as much damage in my 5 turns of trick room as possible. If trick room is up I'm attacking, if it's not up I'm setting it up.

The only pokemon I can see a use for it would be on Mawile in place of Swords Dance, for scenarios where Mawile wants to survive a turn while it's partner sets Trick Room up.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would try running recover on Reuniclus for a little bit. It has the bulk to be able to nab some health and set up another trick room. I also noticed you had HP Ice on Goth aswell so that can help patch that up.

Also I've found Aroma to be a little too frail to be a reliable TR setter. This would be a tankier option;

(Cresselia) (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Moonlight

Safety goggles deal with Amoonguss pretty well too.

I'd replace the aroma with space's cress, but one thing I'd like to fix is your dusclops set.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Night Shade
- Pain Split

I LOVE using dusclops but you dont need it invested in mixed bulk. Will-o-wisp takes care of its physical weakness so that you can turn him into a special tank. Pain Split over helping hand so that he has a form of recovery and does damage while doing it.

Now about gothitelle, you have no fire types on your team and could definently benefit from it so I'd reccomend using this set:

Heatran @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Eruption

This guy sweeps easily in the trick room and if your cresselia can use helping hand on him he becomes a monster. Charcoal there for extra power on the eruptions and i think you get the idea of the moveset.

Okay, these sets are quite an improvement, but I prefer max Def and max SpDef when running Pain split.
I'd replace the aroma with space's cress, but one thing I'd like to fix is your dusclops set.
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Night Shade
- Pain Split

I LOVE using dusclops but you dont need it invested in mixed bulk. Will-o-wisp takes care of its physical weakness so that you can turn him into a special tank. Pain Split over helping hand so that he has a form of recovery and does damage while doing it.

Now about gothitelle, you have no fire types on your team and could definently benefit from it so I'd reccomend using this set:

Heatran @ Charcoal
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Eruption

This guy sweeps easily in the trick room and if your cresselia can use helping hand on him he becomes a monster. Charcoal there for extra power on the eruptions and i think you get the idea of the moveset.

I would try running recover on Reuniclus for a little bit. It has the bulk to be able to nab some health and set up another trick room. I also noticed you had HP Ice on Goth aswell so that can help patch that up.

Also I've found Aroma to be a little too frail to be a reliable TR setter. This would be a tankier option;

(Cresselia) (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Moonlight

Safety goggles deal with Amoonguss pretty well too.
Duscops is my super tanky and thus primary Trick setter, Aromatisse was chosen because of "Aroma veil" which protect's itself AND Dusclops from being crippled by taunt, a move and can ruin my plans before they can even get going.

Last edited:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Night Shade
- Pain Split

Heatran @ Charcoal
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Eruption

Perhaps I should have made it more clear what my battle plan is because Gothitelle's Shadow tag is completely instrumental.

In The Trick Room I have 3 pokes, Goth, Reuniclus and Magnezone who can OHKO with their super effective moves. Shadow tag is absolutely core to my teams success in this regard.

Dusclops and Aroma set up the room and a screen, and then I switch to Goth and magnezone/Reuniclus and take out two pokemon at once.

Last edited:
Okay, these sets are quite an improvement, but I prefer max Def and max SpDef when running Pain split.
I agree wholeheartadly, with full defensive investment rather than in HP Dusclops's Painsplit is an amazing move, often bringing him back to max HP while taking of sizably chunks of enemy hp.

That and the fact that the majority of Dark attacks that hit him super effectively are are physical, crunch, night slash, suckerpunch, foul play, knock off.

Ok, after looking at this team, I see a really big weakness to Mega Mawile and Sun teams, Mega Mawile can single-handedly KO about 4 Pokemon on your team.
Calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Jellicent: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 344-406 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 418-492 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Aromatisse: 462-546 (113.7 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I saw replace Magnezone or Reuniclus with Intimidate 0 Speed Arcanine, which can ruin Mawile's day, and make Charizard feel sad with a Wild Charge.
That's pretty much all you need to fix this team.
Thanks for taking the time to run the Calcs but why would I replace magnezone with an Arcanine to beat Mawile when Magnezone already hard counters it, resisting Sucker Punch, Play Rough and Iron Head, trapping with Magnet pull and OHKOing with HP Fire?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)