It's always been the penguin.

At a Glance:

Hey guys, this is my first RMT thread, as well as post on the forum. I've been playing Pokémon-Online for about a month now and am loving it. I've been changing, and molding my team over time for a while now. This is what I've come up with. I'm still pretty new to the game, and as it's been changing over time, I can't say that I built the team around any one Pokémon or idea. I just went out, tested the waters, and tweaked as I saw necessary. I've tried to use some more unorthodox movesets. A lot of times people will assume you're running a popular one. Those people are generally a string of OHKOs. Here goes...

The Team:

1. Gengar (Subsplit)

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+spd/-atk)
EVs: 252SpA / 252Spe / 4Def
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

I like Gengar for a few reasons. His speed is excellent, and will OHKO most other ghost types with shadow ball. His typing and levitate allows me to switch him in on many different attacks. With substitute, I like to set up against those using life orb. After three substitutes, they've generally damaged themselves enough with their life orb to KO with shadow ball. The Smogon guide says to use a Timid nature. However, would hasty not be better? It drops defense, but Gengar's is pretty lackluster as it is. Would the boost to Focus Punch be worth the lowered defense?

2. Empoleon (Sword Dance + Priority)

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Adament (+Atk/-SpA)
EVs: 252HP / 252 Atk / 4Spe
Moveset:
-Sword Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Avalanche
-Earthquake

I picked Empoleon for sentimental reasons. I know you're never supposed to do that, but Empolean hasn't let me down. I know that I'm lacking the usual spike/stealthrock support seen with this set, but I've still found it to be quite effective. With all of Empolean's resistances and high HP, she can easily be switched in to take an attack, and then gain a free sword dance on the switch. The usual moveset calls for Drill Peck, and then Avalanche/Earthquake, however, I have opted to switch out Drill Peck for Avalanche. This gives me a good coverage against grass and dragon type Pokémon. It leaves Empolean more susceptible to fighting type attacks, but the surprise factor I've been able to get with Avalanche on dragons has been worth it in my opinion. Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

3. Jirachi (Mixed Attacker)

Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Naive (+Spe/-SpD)
EVs: 252Atk / 252Spe / 4HP
Moveset:
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunderbolt

I love this set. Often times I will switch him in as my lead. Using Iron Head, he'll often 2HKO Tyranitar. The 60% chance of flinching is a great benefit as well. Having the Fire, Ice and Electric attacks allow Jirachi to find a weakness is almost everyone. Iron Head is very useful for flinching out those who would try to stall. With great speed, a surprisingly diverse movepool, and double chance of inflicting a status on the foe, Jirachi is has been a great addition to my team.

4. Roobushin (It's a love/hate thing)

Ability: Guts
Nature: Ademant (+Atk/-SpA)
EVs: 120HP / 252Atk / 136SpD
Moveset:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Stone Edge

I hate this Pokémon. In the past, it has ripped my team in two. Now that it's on my team, I'm really starting to enjoy it. With a powerful attack stat and Drain Punch, Roobushin has great survivability. Mach Punch allows me to beat a lot of people when he'd otherwise be KO'd trying to use drain punch. Stone Edge is great against ghost types that commonly switch in, and I can also OHKO some Gyarados sets.

5. Shaymin (Special Attacker)

Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest (-Atk/+SpA)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moveset:
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (fire)
-Rest

I absolutely love this Pokémon. Swampert is an easy OHKO with Seed Flair. It rips through Tyranitar. The speed mixed the movepool will OHKO many common switch ins. Unless Heatran is on a balloon, say goodbye; courtesy of Earth Power. Scizor is an easy OHKO from Hidden Power (fire). Skarmory takes decent damage from Hidden Power (fire) as well. Rest allows me to abuse Hidden Cure, and greatly extends Shaymin's life in battle.

6. Snorlax (RestTalk)

Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Impish (+Def/-SpA)
EVs: 252HP / 252Def / 4Spe
Moveset:
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Body Slam
-Whirlwind

Snorlax is my tank. Unless a critical hit, fighting attack gets her, she can withstand basically anything. I love whirlwinding away those who attempt to set up substitutes. Sleeptalk, with Body Slam can be a deadly combo, and I generally have good luck scoring a paralysis.

Known Threats:

I've found that I occasionally run into trouble with psychic and fighting types, especially if I lose Gengar and Shaymin together. Wx teams sometimes throw me through a loop as well. Toxicroak is a huge problem for me if I've lost Shaymin as he can easily OHKO my only other counter (Jirachi). Volcanera absolutely destroys me.

In Conclusion:
I appreciate any and all input. I'm still pretty new, and would love hear your guys's comments. Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. =]

-Baby Ollie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)