It's Raining, It's Pouring - An OU RMT

Introduction
Hello Smogon. With nothing else to do on labor day, I decided to post a team I've been using for a while. I've been laddering (well, trying) for a while, but I can never seem to get over a hump around 1800. I'm hoping this team will fix that. Thanks for reading!

At a Glance

In Detail

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Scald
-Protect
-Encore
-Toxic

The rain inducer. I find Choice Politoeds predictable and while they can do damage, everyone runs something that can marginalize them and take them out. Hence, this little green guy. His moveset is designed to win the weather way, poisoning, encoring, and protecting, while Scald can help with physical threats. After that, I can switch him in on a lot, and try to encore anything that might set up, and then Toxic and Scald things to death.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed (0 Spe IVs)
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Gyro Ball

Because what better way to take advantage of rain with Pokemon that are doubly weak to Fire? He's here to switch in to things I don't like, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, and set up Rocks if I have a chance. Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave seem to conflict, but any time something's been Thunder Waved and Leech Seeded, I'm not feeling too threatened by it anymore, and I'll switch to something else, or hit it with lower-damage Gyro Balls. I still prefer it to Power Whip, as I'll only really be attacking things that are immune to Leech Seed.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Wil-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

He adds some fun Volt-Turning where necessary, cripples physical attackers, and Pain Splits walls. He's bulky enough that I can switch him on a lot of threats, and either Volt Switch or neutralize them. He helps me keep momentum and can also Hydro Pump things in the face, which really hurts under rain.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

He hits things hard and (with Bullet Punch) fast. I don't use him as a sweeper (though once anything that resists steel is gone, he sure can be) so much as a wallbreaker, U-Turning to keep momentum and Pursuing where appropriate. It's a fairly standard set I don't really deviate from, as he's just here to clear the way for Jirachi and Keldeo.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Thunder
-Psyshock

As a general rule, I hate Jirachis. They're so cute, but so hard to take down, and annoying while they're up. That's why I decided to use one. As my team was at this point lacking a sweeper, I decided this little guy could fill that role. He comes in on anything nonthreatening (think Ferrothorn), Substitutes, and depending on what my opponent switches in, either Calm Minds or starts attacking things. Thunder hits hard and paralyzes lots under rain, and Psyshock scares out any pink blobs who think they have a free switch-in. 101 HP Substitutes help with that.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Surf
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Ice
-Secret Sword

This guy cleans up after Rotom-W, Scizor, and Jirachi. Presumably hazards are down and rain is up, and so Keldeo finished what everybody else started. EVs ensure it hits as fast and hard as possible, with the appropriate move (which is almost always Surf). The other moves are there to hit things harder, but if Surf is killing them, why bother with anything else? He kills anything annoying, inconvenient, or annoyingly inconvenient, hopefully finishing up the game.

Conclusion
Thanks for reading everyone! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I've had tons of fun playing it, and I'm open to anything to make it better. Good luck and have fun!

Let me start by saying I also hate Jirachis :p

Now looking at your team, I instantly noticed one thing. You have Fire and Electric weaknesses all over your team.

Fire: Ferrothorn, Scizor, Jirachi
Electric: Politoed, Keldeo

Having three weaknesses to one type is never a good thing, especially if two of them are 4x weaknesses. I know what your thinking, Rain negates the fire weakness, right? Your under the illusion that rain makes Fire attacks do nothing. Allow me to change that thought process with some calcs:

• 252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn in rain: 302-359 (85.79 - 101.98%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock in Rain
  • 192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 218-260 (61.93 - 73.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock in Rain

You are still OHKO or 2HKOed by both Special and Physical Attackers with Fire moves, even in Rain. Now in Sun, a Life Orb Infernape or +1 Volcarona can singlehandedly annihilate half of your team. So I recommend having Scizor OR Ferrothorn. You can replace Ferrothorn with Landorus who both sets up Rocks and kills Ninetails easily, allowing you to keep your rain up for the remainder of the match.

Landorus-T@Leftovers

Intimidate
252 HP 252 Def 4Atk

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Uturn
Stealth Rock

He has the bulk to take a few hits and the raw power to destroy unprepared Sun Teams. If you keep Ferrothorn, then give Ferrothorn Spikes instead of Rocks.

Your Jirachi also has a problem with Thunder, as it still doesnt do much damage against many threats, even Pokes weak to Thunder:

• 0 SpA Jirachi Thunder vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Jellicent: 124-146 (30.69 - 36.13%) -- 72.63% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 0 SpA Jirachi Thunder vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 180-214 (38.87 - 46.22%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Even against Water Types Jirachi fails to 2HKO with Thunder.

Instead of Jirachi I would recommend Mixed Rain Sweeper Dragonite who has access to Hurricane and Thunder and spams them much more effectively.

Dragonite@Life Orb/ Leftovers

Multiscale
252 HP 252 SpAtk 4 Spd

Hurricane
Thunder
Aqua Tail/ Roost
Extremespeed

He is a much better Thunder spammer and also serves as a Hurricane spammer. Some calcs to back up my argument:

• SpA Life Orb Dragonite Thunder vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 325-385 (70.19 - 83.15%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • Life Orb Dragonite Aqua Tail vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey in rain: 342-403 (52.45 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • SpA Life Orb Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 177-211 (50.28 - 59.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Now you have two pokes 4x weak to ice, which is covered by your other pokes just fine. Life Orb/ Leftovers is a matter of power vs survivability and Aqua Tail/ Roost is a similar argument.

On Politoed I'd also suggest Perish Song over Encore, although that is just a personal opinion.

Anyway, I hope I helped, and good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)