It's Still Raining!

Hey guys!
I have been playing pokemon for a really long time, but I only got on Showdown in early gen 5. Since then, I often play on it and I really love it. Been participating in the community for a while, a bit in the XY sprite project (Since I'm not a so great spriter, I didn't do much work but it was still fun XD) and also a lot in IV breeding. Discovered RMT a while ago, and I thought I'd make my own!
I'd say my team is a Semi-Stall Rain team, the goal is to put pressure on the opponent and cripple them with status and hazards while having a few attackers that can get some pokemon out. I've been using this team for quite a long time, and it is one of the most successful I have build. So here's the team!

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass

Classic DrizzleToed set. I think it's the best rain inducer in OU, mostly because it induces it on entry and because it is permanent (well, as for gen 5). I run SpecsToed over Defensive Toed because it can hit pretty damn hard and has some decent coverage. Checks some threats such as Ferrothorn with Focus Blast (if it lacks Power Whip), as Ferrothorn is a threat my tea really has a hard time dealing with. One interesting thing is that, since Ninetails outspeeds Politoed, Politoed can 0HKO. it with a STAB, rain powered Hydro Pump (assuming it doesn't switch out or have sunny day). HP Grass gives some additional coverage for other common threats like Vaporeon, Starmie and Cloyster.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 124 Def / 8 Spd
- Wish
- Fire Punch
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

This is (in my opinion) the most important pokemon in my team. Rain pseudo-negates his weakness to fire, leaving only a weakness to ground. It's a classic paraflinch set, which really cripples opponents with paralysis. I once ran protect over fire punch, but I had a lot of trouble with Ferrothorn, which rips my team apart if politoed is dead. It has enough raw power to kill some weaker opponents on its own, namely Terrakion or Tyranitar on the switch-in.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Thunder

Nice MixNite set. Hits pretty hard in the rain, with 100% accurate Thunder and STAB Hurricane. Roost is pretty much a necessity to keep him alive as long as possible, and is great for stalling out with Multiscale. Earthquake gives coverage for Steel Types and is a physical option if Blissey switches in. I could always switch Thunder for Fire Blast, to deal with Ferrothorn and Scizor, along with Fire Gem over Leftovers to surprise those mons, but the Leftovers recovery really is a boon, and Fire Blast doesn't hit very hard in the Rain.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic

Let's get to it. Hydration Vaporeon is nearly unkillable under rain. The HydraRest combo makes it really difficult to take it down. Toxic is to cripple both attackers and walls while stalling them out. Scald is for STAB and Wish is to support other team members along with Jirachi. I maybe could change Wish for Roar to Phaze out setup sweepers. Scald alone checks common threats such as Gliscor and Infernape, but I could also run Ice Beam over it to Check Landorus-T or Dragons.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Standard Rain Dish Tentacruel, used as a support. The Black Sludge recovery added with the Rain Dish bonus under rain heals quite a lot each turn, and with Wish support from Jirachi or Vaporeon it can stay in pretty long. I've been thinking to change Timid for either Bold or Calm for an added defense bonus, but it works pretty well with Timid and can give some pretty hard hits with a STAB, rain boosted Scald, plus with an added chance of burn. Knock Off is really wonderful on this set, and cripples the opposing pokemon by removing Choice Items or Leftovers necessary to many pokemon. Rapid Spin is really obvious to act as a spinner, while Toxic Spikes is to spread Poison.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The last Pokemon in the team. A really good revenge killer, with good firepower. STAB 100% accurate Thunder in rain alongside the Life Orb boost hits like a truck. Here's some calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 289-343 (71.5 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 354-421 (97.2 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tentacruel: 265-315 (72.8 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 364-432 (95.2 - 113%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 354-416 (98.8 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Signal Beam vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 380-452 (95.9 - 114.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Volt Switch is really great because of Jolteon's high speed: it can pull off a Volt Switch before an incoming SE hit and switch to a resistant pokemon. Signal Beam gives some coverage for some threats, like Celebi and Alakazam. Hidden Power Ice is absolutely necessary to hit pokemon that could pose a threat to the team, namely Landorus-T.

Thanks for reading, and please give feedback to tell me what I could improve!

Last edited:
This is quite a solid team, but there are some things that I feel need tweaking.

Firstly, your team lacks rocks. Sashed pokemon such Cloyster and Multiscale Dragonite set up in your face and wreck you. Fire Punch also does not appear to be a reliable way to beat Ferrothorn 1v1. For these reasons, I suggest running Lead Terrakion, as it eases pressure off of your team by being able to hit Ferrothorn extremely hard with it's STAB, and can aid you in revenge killing sweepers with the aid of it's sash, as well as setting up rocks so the aforementioned threats do not 6-0 you.

Rest + Wish seems to be extremely redundant. Instead, I would run Protect over Rest, and Water Absorb over Hydration. If you want to run Hydration, I suggest Roar over wish, as Vaporeon has little to no firepower, and thus is setup bait. The first option lets you heal more reliably and scout movesets, as well as completely wall strong water type attackers. The second option prevents you from being setup bait, and allows you to dispose of sweepers.

My third and final suggestion is to make Dragonite more Offensive. With a 76 Atk , 252 SAtk, 180 Spd Spread, you outspeed timid base 60's (Most Prominently Magnezone). I also do not see the purpose of Dragon Tail, as while it is STAB and Does phase, it frankly is rather weak, and will promote the opponent to sub down and setup, and on such a offensive pokemon the negative priority is not appreciated. I instead suggest either Extremespeed, Earthquake, or Aqua Tail, one of which gives you a reliable way to take out weakened threats, one of which is rain boosted, and one of which gives you solid coverage against steel types.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt / Swords Dance / X-Scissor

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb / Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish / Roar
- Protect / Rest
- Toxic

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 76 Atk
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Thunder
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Extremespeed

This is quite a solid team, but there are some things that I feel need tweaking.

Firstly, your team lacks rocks. Sashed pokemon such Cloyster and Multiscale Dragonite set up in your face and wreck you. Fire Punch also does not appear to be a reliable way to beat Ferrothorn 1v1. For these reasons, I suggest running Lead Terrakion, as it eases pressure off of your team by being able to hit Ferrothorn extremely hard with it's STAB, and can aid you in revenge killing sweepers with the aid of it's sash, as well as setting up rocks so the aforementioned threats do not 6-0 you.

Rest + Wish seems to be extremely redundant. Instead, I would run Protect over Rest, and Water Absorb over Hydration. If you want to run Hydration, I suggest Roar over wish, as Vaporeon has little to no firepower, and thus is setup bait. The first option lets you heal more reliably and scout movesets, as well as completely wall strong water type attackers. The second option prevents you from being setup bait, and allows you to dispose of sweepers.

My third and final suggestion is to make Dragonite more Offensive. With a 76 Atk , 252 SAtk, 180 Spd Spread, you outspeed timid base 60's (Most Prominently Magnezone). I also do not see the purpose of Dragon Tail, as while it is STAB and Does phase, it frankly is rather weak, and will promote the opponent to sub down and setup, and on such a offensive pokemon the negative priority is not appreciated. I instead suggest either Extremespeed, Earthquake, or Aqua Tail, one of which gives you a reliable way to take out weakened threats, one of which is rain boosted, and one of which gives you solid coverage against steel types.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt / Swords Dance / X-Scissor

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb / Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish / Roar
- Protect / Rest
- Toxic

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 76 Atk
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Thunder
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Extremespeed
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I really appreciate it and those are great tips! However, who would you change to Terrakion? I really can't replace either Politoed or Jirachi, because obviously Politoed is my rain inducer, and because I really need Jirachi to stall out opponents, give wish support and spread paralysis. I can't replace Jolteon, Because it's my primary sweeper and is the only one that can really get out Dragons, Landorus-T and other Water Types taking advantage of Rain. Vaporeon and Dragonite are both important so.... Maybe Tentacruel? But then I'll lack Toxic Spikes and spinning... It's true that Toxic Spikes are not that important since I already have Toxic on Vaporeon and Body Slam on Jirachi, but spinning is quite important... What do you think?

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I really appreciate it and those are great tips! However, who would you change to Terrakion? I really can't replace either Politoed or Jirachi, because obviously Politoed is my rain inducer, and because I really need Jirachi to stall out opponents, give wish support and spread paralysis. I can't replace Jolteon, Because it's my primary sweeper and is the only one that can really get out Dragons, Landorus-T and other Water Types taking advantage of Rain. Vaporeon and Dragonite are both important so.... Maybe Tentacruel? But then I'll lack Toxic Spikes and spinning... It's true that Toxic Spikes are not that important since I already have Toxic on Vaporeon and Body Slam on Jirachi, but spinning is quite important... What do you think?
As I said, Terrakion > Jirachi. Your Jirachi was losing your team large amounts of momentum, and honestly wasn't helping your team in any way. Terrakion aids your team in beating a variety of checks, and wish support can still be held solely on the shoulders of Vaporeon!

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
cool team! i disagree with the terak -> jirachi change, but i would definitely suggest changing its set. I would try a cm set to demolish stall and offense alike. It still retains its great 60% para chance, but also gives your team a win condition vs stall and bulkier opposing teams. I would suggest using protect on tentacruel over knock off. Protect allows you to scout your opponents move while gaining 12%. Finally, I'd suggest using ebelt on jolteon to bluff specs and make it less weak to getting revenge killed by priority. gl!

jirachi
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Psyshock

As I said, Terrakion > Jirachi. Your Jirachi was losing your team large amounts of momentum, and honestly wasn't helping your team in any way. Terrakion aids your team in beating a variety of checks, and wish support can still be held solely on the shoulders of Vaporeon!
I did some matches, and I must admit that while Stealth Rock support was useful, my team was demolished by threats that would have been otherwise walled by Jirachi, such as Salamence. Also, there was some times where I really needed Wish support, and I couldn't switch to Vaporeon. However, The Dragonite change did wonders! I dunno for the Vaporeon, as I was missing some tankiness when I was not using HydraRest, and I missed some Wish support without it, so I'll stick to my original set, but I'll think about what you told me if I need some changes. Thanks for the Help!
Current changes:

Changed

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Thunder

For

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Thunder

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Why are you running dual-100% accurate moves on Dragonite?
If rain gets removed for say, sun, then dragonite is rendered useless.
I like the shuffleNite idea though, but does it work better than a, um...

-Dragon Claw
-Hurricane
-Roost
-Earthquake

set?
I'm assuming the set is because you don't want to deal with the EVs?

But the team is solid.

Why are you running dual-100% accurate moves on Dragonite?
If rain gets removed for say, sun, then dragonite is rendered useless.
I like the shuffleNite idea though, but does it work better than a, um...

-Dragon Claw
-Hurricane
-Roost
-Earthquake

set?
I'm assuming the set is because you don't want to deal with the EVs?

But the team is solid.
The set is actually directly off of smog on. The EV Spread lets Dragonite outspeed timid base 60's e.g. magnezone and OHKO with EQ. While I wouldn't suggest running the set in 6th gen due to weather constraints, this set is actually monstrously threatning with rain up. There is concern in terms of weather control, but this team fairs pretty well in weather wars imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)