itt post your favorite movies (or general movie discussion)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
title says it all! when posting here, please keep in mind that i think that some discussion would be a good thing. you by no means have to post essay-length tirades about why you like this movie blah blah blah because frankly i don't care, and i'm fairly sure that nobody else here does either. however, try to steer yourself away from making posts such as "avatar is my favorite movie because it's super cool!!!" or "lol borat is so funny that's why i like it!". just a few sentences about why you like the movie/what the movie is about/why you think other people should see that movie should suffice.

i don't know anybody who doesn't like watching movies. that's probably the best part about movies: no matter what kind of person you are, there's a movie out there for you! if you're a boring individual who enjoys politics, then watch charlie wilson's war. if you're into music (or just like watching dead people prance around), watch michael jackson's this is it. if you're just retarded, watch disaster movie! so, what are some of your favorite movies?

here are some of my favorites:

THE DARK KNIGHT

well, i'm always a sucker for a movie where lots of shit blows up, which is probably about two-thirds of the reason why i love the dark knight! to be totally honest, i don't follow the batman comic book at all (and was vaguely unaware that a comic existed until like 5 years ago), but i still loved this movie. it was very easy to follow, and the action was -good-. christopher nolan is such an awesome director for this type of movie, and he does an excellent job here, as the movie never gets tedious or annoying. if you're a fan of action-ish, dynamite-filled films and you haven't already seen this, watch it. if you have seen it, watch it AGAIN

JUNO

wheeeee i love juno. wheras most comedies bank on stupid penis/sex jokes to get a quick laugh from dumb asswipes (though i won't deny that some are genuinely funny!), juno is clever. there's no stupid humor at all, but the movie is just completely hilarious. ellen page is totally in her element playing pregenant teenager juno macguff, whose wry sense of humor and odd-but-funny wordplay are consistently good throughout the movie. not only is the movie itself awesome, but the soundtrack is SO fucking good. there's like 5 kima dawson songs and some belle and sebastian, as well as stuff from just a bunch of fun, relatively hipster/indie artists. good movie, good soundtrack; watch it

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE

first off, ditch all notions that howl's moving castle is some stupidass cartoon about a wizard and girl and yadayadayada etc because it's not. hayao miyazaki is such a great filmmaker that it's mind-blowing, and it shows in this (very loose) adaption of diana wynne jones's 1986 novel. the movie is both funny and fun, yet at the same time very thought- and emotion-provoking. the first time i watched this movie i was like "oh look it's a faggy movie about a girl who gets turned to an old woman and an enchanted castle. maybe i'll watch it to kill two hours" but literally this movie is just great. fun for people of all ages to watch, howl's moving castle is something that i cannot recommend highly enough. it's pretty confusing the first time you watch it, but the second time, it's just amazing on so many levels. the voice cast is pretty excellent, too !_!

SIGNS

signs is one of those movies that looks stupid and shitty beyond belief, but in reality is just awesome. written and directed by the once-great m. night shyamalanananana (fuck how do you spell his name), it's about aliens and crop circles and all of that cheesy shit that would probably turn a bunch of people off. however, the movie itself is genuienely scary, and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole thing. despite the fact that it stars the attrocity known as mel gibson, the movie's characters seem real, and it's just fun and intrigueing to watch. the movie's atmosphere is very tense and apprehensive throughout, and while there are no parts that are "AHHHH HOLY FUCK THAT IS SO FUCKING SCARY" frightening, there are definitely parts like "OH FUCK WHY DID THAT THING JUST JUMP OUT AT ME" scary, so if you don't like those kinds of movies, steer clear. however, i love them, so this if you're like me, this is a great movie for you to watch.

well, these are just a few of my favorites. i watch a LOT of movies, so i'll probably post back here with others later. anyway, i want to hear about some of the movies that you guys like. clearly my taste in movies is very mainstream, and since this is smogon, i'm expecting to see a lot of weird shit that i've never even heard of before! but that's okay, because that's the whole point of this thread.

GO

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)

dragonheart. maaaaaan, this is probably the one movie I have watched more than anything else, and I only say this because I have been watching it over and over since I was little. it's a HUGE nostalgia thing for me, and definitely the reason I am so in love with Sean Connery's voice. it also gave me a soft spot for Dennis Quaid, as he only seems to be in sub-par movies, but I just can't get enough of him in this one, haha. my love for sean connery's voice was probably a big factor in why I grew up to love dinosaurs, dragons (but not dungeons) and mythology so much, and just reptiles in general. when sean connery dies it will be a very tragic day.

this is a movie I first saw very late one night at my mothers, as I was sitting at the desktop and most likely browsing smogon or something. it came on television and as I already loved Kate Winslet, I decided to watch it. it's a very enjoyable but subtly dark movie about two girls who meet, become fast friends, but sort of fall in love with one another (not necessarily romantically, they're just fiercely passionate towards each other) and they get a little delusional, creating a fake world for themselves that you're constantly thrown into in their imagination. after learning that it was a peter jackson film, and seeing other obscure movies of his such as "Dead Alive" i really started to appreciate his whimsical yet somewhat goofy style (though I'm not really a fan of Lord of the Rings).

a few months ago I went on an american beauty kick, and it's no surprise to me. I can always get equally sucked into the monotony of Kevin Spacey, aka Lester Burnham's life, and really feel his character growth and flourish into the plot of him not taking any shit from anyone anymore, and doing what I think is the basic thing anyone should do with their lives: enjoy it. the emotion throughout the film still twists my insides and the ending always makes my throat tight, but whenever I finish the movie I'm left feeling calm, and a little wistful.

i could probably go on and on with the movies i enjoy as well, so i'm excited to what eveyone else likes to watch!

edit: ACK I ALSO AM IN LOVE WITH TREMORS.

oh man, a young and hot kevin bacon, crazy worm monsters that burrow through the ground and react to vibrations, stunning dialogue... hahaha, I have seen this movie as many times as I've seen DragonHeart, perhaps more! it's something my grandmother and I would always drop everything and watch whenever it came on television, and this is definitely a movie I will never, ever tire of.

"Broke into the wrong goddamn wreck-room DIDN'T you, you bastards!!"

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
dude fishy i fucking loved heavenly creatures! pretty weird/dark what have you at times, but i thought it was very interesting. kate winslet is great in any role she plays, but i was particularly impressed with her in heavenly creatures. i've actually never seen tremors/dragonheart/american beauty, so i'll have to check those out sometime?

uhhh so anyway i just saw:

men in black was pretty good imo. honestly i find any movie with will smith in it to be a good time, and while mib didn't really have will smith as funny as he is in other movies, there was still some great parts. the alien bug whatever thing was pretty sketchy though, especially when it used the farmer's skin for a disguise. and i'm not usually a big fan of tommy lee jones, but i thought that he did pretty well in mib (at least comparitively better than in some of his other roles!)

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

THE IRON GIANT is a moving tale of a lad and his giant robot in the 1950s. Through a wacky series of adventures involving dodging other people and g-man Mansley, the main character Hogarth teaches the giant metal man how to love, while beatnik Dean makes art out of metal with the robot's help. At the end, the robot sacrifices itself to stop an incoming nuke, proving that even a superweapon from outerspace clearly designed to wipe out humanity can be made benign by a mild case of mental retardation and comicbooks. As silly as it may sound/seem, I really do love this motion picture to death.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for naive/retarded main characters. Forrest Gump is the classic tale of a man 5 IQ points below the line of retardation. Through the course of his lifetime, he shapes American culture and becomes rich as fuck, but is eternally spurned by his childhood love until it is too late. If you haven't seen it, then I definitely recommend it. Forrest is endearingly simple and unwittingly wise.

Kid skips school, breaks shit, has fun. I loved this movie as a kid and it is still very close to my heart today. My favorite parts are Ferris's asides to the audience where he articulates his ideas and why he is the way he is. Cameron is also a hilarious character in general.

V for Vendetta is the story of a man in a mask. While it's a damn sight different from the graphic novel, I really enjoy the film version a lot. I didn't like the romance between Evey and V much, but I thought that it was cool nonetheless. V turning from anarchist to freedom fighter is also a little disappointing, but not an entirely negative change. V as a character remains as fascinating as ever and the story is still gripping and exciting from start to finish. Plus, the last fight scene is totally kickass, not to mention super quotable.

I have more, but I think I'll leave shit like the Big Lebowski and Watchmen to other people.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK, I has a list.

First, is my favorite movie of all time, and it's a recent one too:

It's an epic of epic epicness, 'nuf said. But really, I love everything about the movie: the way the characters click, the humor, the genre, the way it's still like the comic, etc, etc,

Next, my favorite Disney movie ever:

Really, if I'm having a sad day, I'll plop this movie in and watch with utter delight.

Next, another Disney movie:

I know a lot of people that don't like this movie because they don't like the humor, isn't as cute as other Disney movies, blah blah, but I really really love the characters of this movie and the voice actors, I love love love the music, and I love how it's drawn. Plus, it's the last Disney movie where they use original music instead of using music that's already on the radio.

Finally:

An absolute classic. I could watch this move a million times over, it's so good. I'll watch it every time it comes on TV, and it's just such a good movie. Plus, it's freakin Chris Farley, of course it's a good movie. Not only that, but it takes place in WI, and was filmed in some parts no less than 2 hours from my house even.

I got turned off of Iron Giant when I had to watch it like 4 times in a row when Cartoon Network would show it 24 hours straight. I mean, come on!

TDK will probably get a lot of mentions here, and it's pretty easy to like. For me, it was the perfect comic book movie. It used inspiration for actual well liked comics, but not only appeased comic book fans, but provided a solid movie for film fans as well (though some dislike it now since it's a bit over-liked). I have a few things that annoyed me (Batman's voice and Spider-man like witty quips) but it was over great, great, great.

Princess Mononoke

This is definitely my favorite Miyazaki film. As a kid (watching this as a 7 year old wasn't smart, it gave me nightmares) I loved the violence and the cool story, but as I grew older the amazing themes of the story really made me fall in love with the movie. Every time I watch it I notice something else to appreciate. And I've watched this movie quite a few times.

Gripping and haunting, I thought Angelina Jolie proved herself as an actress with this movie and Clint Eastwood was a great director as usual.

Hana-Bi by Takeshi Kitano

Kitano is a total fucking badass and this is my favorite of his movies, and also the best film I have watched. It's poetic and minimal, but at the same time gritty and brutal.

Videodrome by David Cronenberg

Cronenberg's body horror (and his later works too) are also among my favorites. Videodrome stands out as a very disturbing film. Television really is dangerous. It still keeps the 80's cheesy aspects and a really great sense of dark humor to make it a fun ride.

Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky

Stalker is impressive: almost three hours of beautiful cinematography detailing a ride among urban ruin. The camera work is intriguing. Watch it and you'll understand.

Love Exposure by Sion Sono

Sono's magnum opus, this film lasts almost four hours but never gets tiring or boring. It's a ridiculously Japanese parody/drama/love story about lust, religion, loss, family, and voyeurism.

edit: also the action in The Dark Knight was terrible, everything else was great though

Reactions: BKC
Anything that features Johnny Depp I will watch. Pirates of the Carribbean is pretty good. Im sorry for saying this but i dont actually think the dark knight was as good as everyone says. I mean i loved Heath Ledger's performance but the rest of the movie i didnt really get into.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Seriously I can watch this movie over and over and no matter how many time I watch it, I'm still a fucking mess at the end, covered in snot and tears. It's like one of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life, and I'm a huge sucker for depressing movies.

I'm a sucker for sad things, but I love a comedy just as much and Pulp Fiction, aside from all the repeating of the lines from people who haven't even seen it, is an incredibly funny movie.

I acknowledge that this movie is fucking horrible but I'll watch it any time it's on TV (which is a whole lot) anyways.

My very favorite films are In Bruges, The Princess Bride, Goodfellas, The Big Lebowski, Toy Story 3, Synecdoche, New York, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Amadeus, No Country For Old Men, Black Swan, Exit Through The Gift Shop, Wall•E, Memento, American Beauty, Children of Men, Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds, The Social Network, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Blazing Saddles.

In Bruges and The Princess Bride are the best films I've ever seen, but if asked my favorite I'll say the former and if asked the best I'll say the latter. Goodfellas is close. The Big Lebowski is the best all-around comedy I've ever seen.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
gonna c/p a post i made on another forum for this. i don't like writing a bunch of bullshit about each individual film, i'll let the stills talk for themselves.

lawrence of arabia, probably my favorite film atm. 4 hours goes by like nothing, also amazing score by maurice jarre.

the sacking of aqaba

baraka, a nonverbal film that is largely a collage of beautiful images with an environmental theme

watch

mulholland dr, kind of a modern take on persona maybe??

i've told every little star

last year at marienbad, gorgeously surreal film

watch

8 1/2

dream sequence

stalker, science fiction minus the cheesy shit

gorgeous

blade runner, so many stills to pick from. such a visually-amazing film

tears in rain

pulp fiction

let's not start suckin each others dicks quite yet

barry lyndon, my favorite kubrick film. his "cold, calculated" approach to film making really shines here imo.

duel scene

inland empire, this film is fuck

creepy visitor

oldboy, stylish revenge thriller

flashback
protagonist beating the goddamn shit out of a dozen or so guys with a hammer in one long tracking shot

lost highway, more creepy/terrifying lynch shit. i love how it makes absolutely no fuckin sense unless you just let it sink in and overwhelm you.

mystery man

2001: a space odyssey, my favorite segment is the psychedelic "jupiter and beyond the infinite" ending

jupiter and beyond the infinite

the man who sleeps, a somewhat minimalist film about a man's gradual detachment from society, told entirely through a narrator's voice

clip

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

My favorite movie of all time. Such a gutwrenching and heartbreaking story (and ending, it was the first movie to make me cry).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Toy Story 3 made you guys cry? If any Disney movie should make anybody cry its this one:

The damn beginning makes me cry every time I watch it. Now this is a sad kid's movie if ever there was one.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)

Inception.

pretty much in love with this movie. i've seen it 3 times now, and will surely watch it many, many times in the future considering that i own it! the idea of putting it in before i go to bed in a bit is an attractive idea. i'm already obsessed with the idea of dreams and how they work, and while inception is a dream-based movie but not entirely fantastical or magical as one might expect from a movie about dreams, where ANYTHING is possible, i really enjoy the idea of dreams within dreams, time slowing down, totems to keep you tethered to reality, etc. plus leo is a total babe.

You know, I like just about every movie that's posted in this thread so far, with the exception of the ones I haven't seen yet... Especially Up. I definitely cried at the beginning of that one!!!
As for stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Amelie

This is an extremely cute movie about the life of a kind-hearted, slightly eccentric girl. It's all in French, but there are subtitles for people who don't speak the language. My favorite parts are the details the narrator chooses to include. You'll see what I mean. Also, the musical score is wonderful. I love pretty much everything about this movie, and I think everyone should watch it at some point even if it's something they wouldn't typically watch, since it's just so heart-warming and also has the feeling of being somewhat magical.

Singin' in the Rain

Yeah, this one's really old. But it's also really fun to watch! It's actually a movie about movies... or the politics behind the silent film industry and how things changed once things moved to "talking pictures". More specifically, it's about an actress who is very beautiful but has an awful voice, so she can't make it in the new talking picture industry unless she has another actress dub for her. The aspiring actress with the beautiful voice becomes the love interest of the costarring man in the movie, and things get complicated. It's a really fun movie with great singing and dancing if you're into that kind of thing.

Happy Feet

This movie was adorable. 'Nuff said.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This one's really deep and requires actual brain power when watching. The timeline jumps around a lot. But it's definitely worth it. This is a surreal film exploring the declining relationship of a couple.

Godzilla Vs. Mothra

Who doesn't love old horror films? The special effects are so horrific that it's a lot of fun to just sit there and laugh at them. This one is a particular favorite of mine. Plus, Godzilla vs. Mothra is actually somewhat like watching a Pokemon battle, as Godzilla somewhat resembles Tyranitar, and Mothra somewhat resembles Beautifly or Butterfree :P (yeah, I'm a nerd lol)

Here are some of mine in no particular order

As a kid, God I loved this movie, it's probably still holds its record of being the most movie I watched. I watched this like what 10 times, not sure but something like that.

I just liked it's physical comedy, the traps and planning. It was a sweet deal.

As soon as I saw Saw I, I became a fan of the series, and gradually watched others (though still yet to watch the final chapter!), not sure which is my favorite, but I'm guessing it's between the first three, as after they kind of went downhill for me.

The traps made in saw, and the whole survival instinct thing, and this cancer dude who gives people "choice" to appreciate their life/redeem themselves or die in such a low period of time and a painful way, is just awesome.

Batman isn't a "favorite" comic character of mine, but he's a good one, and the movie was a VERY good adaptation of him.

The amount of thought put in movie, Heath doing a marvelous Joker showing how wicked/smart The Joker really is.

I think I can speak for myself and others that this is the best Batman movie made, hand down.

Chan and Tucker in an action comedy, nuff said.

Funny, and basically being a pseudo-parody of disney tales/common tales is a nice run.

I have others, but those are the ones on top my head mostly.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just made a long post and got it fucking deleted by my retarded web browser...

Fight Club

I would love to talk about this film but rule #1 prevents me from doing so.

A Clockwork Orange

A masterpiece.

Chungking Express

I've always found the Asian New Wave stuff to be more watchable than a lot of the western New Waves. Especially the French that I think borders on unwatchable at times. I understand the idea of challenging Hollywood conventions and experimentation, but I think there's a point where you have to accept that some things are "mainstream" because they just work and are needed for cohesion within a film. Asian cinema seems to understand this with their New Waves and get the balance between innovation and conforming to convention. Worth watching just for the coffee sip shot. Also Faye Wong is fucking adorable.

The Social Network

Probably my favourite recent film. There's something about this that makes it so compelling, I find myself watching it over and over. The score is incredible, in fact the general use of sound throughout is fantastic, as is Fincher's directing, and the Henley Sequence is one of my favourite sequences in film. Looking at the plot on paper, it shouldn't work as a film, but somehow it manages to be packed with tension and keep you interested throughout.

Goodfellas

I'm a sucker for Gangster films, and Scorsese's classic it probably up there right at the top for me. Dark, witty, funny (How the fuck am I funny?!), brave and violent. Excellent cinema.

James Bond - Casino Royale/Quantum of Solace

The recent Bond films took the entire franchise and turned it on its head. Casino Royale was a fresh start for the Bond series, and brings it more up to date as an Action film. The old Bond clichés were downplayed and instead a much grittier and realistic portrayal took to the scenes. I think Pierce Brosnan is a bit of a twat and much prefer Daniel Craig as Bond. Also, Gemma Arterton. phwoooooaaarrr.

The Usual Suspects

Amazing neo-noir that's right up there with The Departed. One of the best twists in any film. You won't see it coming.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Surprised nobody has yet mentioned...

The Shawshank Redemption

Probably the best movie I've ever seen. No explanation necessary.

Four Brothers

This movie had a great plot and was very intense. I liked how real and raw it was.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Another of my favorites, and unfortunately not well known to the younger generation.

Monsters, Inc.

Cutest movie ever.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)

TAKEN - oh my goodness Liam Neeson.

JabbaTheGriffin, Dubulous and I watched this in my basement while they were still in town, and oh man, we all agree that this is one of the most badass movies. Liam Neeson is a retired government worker, a "Preventer," who gave up his career to make up for lost time with his only daughter, Kim. Kim wants to vacation in Paris with a friend, and after she is kidnapped by a well-populated and armed gang of people who prostitute women, Liam goes into action. I didn't really know what to expect when I saw this in theaters in 2008, but as soon as I saw Liam Neeson take out some guy in like 3 seconds, I was so thrilled to see this older actor be such a fucking hardass throughout the film. Ugh, and his voice is to die for.

"You don't remember me, do you? We spoke on the phone two days ago. I told you I would find you."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)