ORAS UU JawsAndPaws(Semi-Offensive)

Jaws&Paws(My First RMT!)

Introduction

This is a semi-offensive team built around non-mega sharpedo. Be prepared to see lots of phazing and shuffling!

Diana (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Rocks are absolutely essential to this team as it involves a lot of middle-game shuffling. That is why it is important to keep nidoqueen alive till the endgame. I am running an offensive set because... why roar something out when you can just kill it instead right? I chose nidoqueen over donphan because it has more special bulk and a better typing.

Paws (Arcanine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Extreme Speed
- Roar

Arcanine looks like a special wall with its EV investments but after intimidate it can act as a general bulky pokemon. It is a burn shuffler. Arcanine also has access to extreme speed for revenge killing pokemon like beedrill that are very fast but at low hp.

SerpentWaifu (Milotic) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Dragon Tail
- Sleep Talk

Milotic has good synergy with arcanine due to type difference. A RestTalk Marvel scale set allows milotic to act as a physical wall and phaze with dragon tail. In summary, these 3 pokemon dominate the early game/middle game dealing chip damage and crippling threats to our lategame sweepers.

Jaws (Sharpedo) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Crunch

Sharpedo, the main pokemon around which the whole team is built. Sharpedo is a wonderful physical attacker due to its huge attack stat. Speed boost allows it to outspeed many threats like beedrill. It can even OHKO many threats like offensive sylveon. However, It is very frail and mostly gets OHKO'd itself

CleanUpSquad (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Sceptile is the special counterpart of sharpedo. It has huge special attack and is also very fast. It isn't as frail as sharpedo, but it still lacks bulk. It is a wonderful lategame special sweeper. Keep in mind to not use it last though so that you can switch it out after leaf storm-ing

NaNaNaNaNaNaNa (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Cross Poison
- Defog

The Wild Card. It has a typing which fits and quite frankly, The main reason it's there is for fairy types like sylveon/florges. It has a decent attack stat which allows it to hit relatively hard. Another thing is its niche ability in infiltrator that prevents pokemon running substitute(e.g. Gyarados) from becoming a threat. It may seem counterintuitive to run defog in the fourth slot, but keep in mind that both the sweepers rely on their high speed and removal of webs is absolutely necessary. Also, Defog is only to be used in the early game so that nidoqueen can come back in and set up rocks.

Conclusion
I have been working on this team for over a month and have got it checked multiple times. However, there are still some loopholes and it suffers to many threats like mega-blastoise and rotom-heat. Thanks in advance for any Help!

Importable
Jaws (Sharpedo) (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Crunch

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Extreme Speed
- Roar

Diana (Nidoqueen) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Dragon Tail
- Sleep Talk

CleanUpSquad (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

NaNaNaNaNaNaNa (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Cross Poison
- Defog

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
What is upppp my brother, so I saw your team and decided to try my hands at rating it. Looking at it there are a few odd sets you are using that can honestly be done 10x better by other mons and would help the match-ups you talk about a lot in the long run.

-So to start you off I saw your team and said "where is the draco switch in?", its a fact we have to accept in the current meta that hydreigon wasn't banned and we need to run switch ins of some kind for it. So I saw an easy quick fix for you:
------->

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate / Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

• With this change you'll still keep the speed presence in your team while also gaining some mind games versus scarf hydreigon as they have to decide between clicking draco meteor versus your team or fire blast to try and catch the whimsicott. Running a yache berry lets you switch into swampert a little more comfortably and it can also help versus mamoswine. Running pixie plate makes your conkeldurr matchup a lot smoother as well.
-With that in mind you lose a mega, but this gives us the opportunity to use your sharpedo in its mega form; a far more threatening mon once it gets going:
------->

Jaws (Sharpedo) (M) @ Sharpedonite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Crunch

• Mega-pedo carries a bit more bulk than the ordinary form while at the same time it doesn't always need to rely on protect to out speed the mons it can threaten thanks to its mega forms higher base speed. A jolly nature is important on both the mega version of shark as well as the normal LO variant since even after +1 an adamant nature is still out sped by the likes of mons such as mega aero and slower scarfers such as heracross.
-Next I saw your crobat spread and noticed it was kind of a waste of its potential as a mon from the looks of how youre using it, so to fix the spread and set a bit I did this:

NaNaNaNaNaNaNa (Crobat) @ Sky Plate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

• Cross poison barely does anymore damage over brave bird versus super effective targets so its a move only ever really used on banded bat and even then its just there to try and prevent some recoil damage. By running this bat you get a fighting check that is capable of healing itself and also providing last second hazard removal if you really need it. The spread gives you about ~30% more bulk and allows you to out speed whimsicott which besides other bats is all you really need to out speed.
-Since we basically have most fighting types covered with the bat we can switch nidoqueen to a much more offensive variant to deal with some passivity your team was giving off like so:

Diana (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

• With this your team still carries stealth rocks however you wont be rotom-heat bait anymore since you can actually damage it heavily as well as become an overall powerful balance breaker. The speed allows you to outpace modest sylveon if need be and who needs to roar when you can just kill whats right ahead of you am I right?
-Moving on I just wanted to improve your arcanine set a bit like so:

EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp / toxic
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

• This spread allows you to dodge the 2hko from mega sceptile dragon pulse after rocks which is really all the sp.def you need, so you can focus on the rest of your physical defence. I noticed you were running roar over fire stab which is pretty ballsy seeing as how thats mostly how this mon has any viability at all. Phase stacking is cool and all but you need a team that relies entirely on hazard stacking for it to be put to good use and all you really had was stealth rocks which isn't good enough to give up flare blitz over. Toxic can help your rotom-H problem since you can just wear it down that way if you dont want to bother with it, thats fine you can just run willo.
-Finally I wanted to go over your milotic set which could honestly be just done better by suicune:
-------------->

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• Suicune boasts a much better physical bulk with it taking only 3% more damage than a statused milotic, not to mention dragon tail is a horrible move to use on milotic since any mon with sub who resists water or just boasts decent defences will take advantage of you. The main reasons to run milotic is the move haze, one turn recovery, and its ability that is mostly abused by taking a scald burn. Putting yourself in a situation where you are unlikely to roll your phasing move (and even when you do its too piss weak to break most subs) is just an overall bad idea. Roar cune on the other hand is capable of performing things like outspeeding mons with sleep talk and roaring them out 100% of the time barring soundproof mons (which dont exist in UU) or if its the last one on the field which at this point whimsicott will be able to handle thanks to encore. The speed allows you to outpace modest sylveon if need be as well as to out pace other roar cune.
Hopefully these changes should fix your match ups a bit more since you'll have the extra power on a lot of your mons which can come in handy in many situations and you wont be as passive as you used to be. Being a semi-stall doesn't mean you are passive in fact that type of playstyle is specifically given that name since it still carries a large offensive presence, it just relies on its defensive backbone a little more than most balances. Gl with the team dude.

Last edited:

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! My rate will aim to fix some sets that aren't optimal while also trying to help the team's overall effectiveness in this metagame.

Defensive Arcanine is definitively a good assest to balanced teams in this metagame, the issue here is the moveset you're using. While I get why Roar seems appealing I definitively think you should Flare Blitz instead. That change basically makes Arcanine much less passive, allowing it to threaten some of the pokemons it's supposed to check such as Celebi, Heracross or Cobalion. I'd also like to suggest running a Mixed Defensive spread which would allow you to keep Swords Dance Cobalion in check while still reliably beating Sylveon.

While Rest + Sleep talk allows you to use Milotics ability a little more it makes Milotic overall a lot more passive. Recover over Rest allows you to heal up more reliably without wasting any momentum. Ice Beam over Sleep Talk would allow you to threaten grass types that tend to come in on Milotic while also doing decent damages to Hydreigon. Lasty, using Haze over Dragon Tail allows you to beat bulky set ups pokemons with ease, also allowing you to counter them even as the last mon. Not forcing the switch also means you can just sit here and counter them forever which helps the overall balance of your team a bit.

The set would be much better with Roost over Cross Poison. Brave Bird already deals with the pokemon Cross Poisons hits so you don't really lose much and Roost is a fantastic addition to Crobat, it makes it a much more reliable fight check as it can come in multiple times and heal up. It just increases the defensive utility of Crobat a lot, allowing it to threaten the opposing team with Brave Bird while also being able to heal up which can be done quite easily thanks to it's good typing. Sky Plate over Black Sludge would make Crobat a lot stronger, allowing it to actually threaten fairy types, the tier doesn't have that many good flying resists which means Crobat is usually free to spam it's strongest STAB.

<
Defensive Nidoqueen seems a bit redundant considering you already have Crobat to check fighting types. Krookodile offers you rocks, another mean to deal with Aerodactyl-Mega, and is a lot less passive overall. It also gives you a much better check to Psychic types than Sharpedo which is just too frail to have any defensive utility. The Rocky helmet set means that Forretress wont be able to spin versus Krook at all which is very nice considering how common it is as a hazard remover.

<
Sharpedo didn't seem to fit this team. Your team construction mostly looked like a balanced one but with a regular sharpedo in the middle. This pokemon has basically 0 defensive utility, it's a late game cleaner that is still wallled by a lot of common pokemon and you already have Crobat as well as Sceptile to threaten offensive teams. Cleric Sylveon basically offers a ton of defensive utility, able to heal up it's teamates while checking a massive amount of pokemon in this metagame. It gives you a Hydreigon answer which was very much needed considering you had basically no switch in to Draco Meteor.

EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 156 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Ice Beam

NaNaNaNaNaNaNa (Crobat) @ Sky Plate
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Killintime! I'll change my sets and most defenitely go with that team. I was a bit hesitant to run suicune just because i thought i was losing potential with marvel scale, and because roar is magic bounce-able. By the looks of it, im still not sure how good this team will be against umbreon, but i will certainly try. I'll replace the sets soon. I still think i want roar on arcy just because all the time i used arcanine, roar actually did a decent job of phazing. I was running defensive nidoqueen just to keep it safe in case of early game defog/spin but i will change the set for now.

Sacri' I guess under normal circumstances these ideas make sense. I like to keep my milotic as a defensive passive phazer and so i liked the restTalk set more. Completely agree about the crobat. Really not sure about the sylveon. I will abstain from stating anything related to that. Do sort of agree on the fact that krookodile is kinda better than nidoqueen. But i do want to run offensive nidoqueen over krookodile just because most my teams are offensive and i am quite new to the semi-offensive/balanced area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)