ORAS OU Jirachi/Pinsir (my first team)

Introduction
I wanted my first team to be a balanced team while I got used to playing competetive. I've done quite well so far with this team (around 55% win with ~90 games, showdown username is Sumona) but I feel like the movesets I have need tweaking. The main goal of this team is to wear down opposing pokemon for Pinsir and Jirachi to clean up in the late game

The Team

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Fire Punch

Jirachi is on this team as a revenge killer and as a complement to Pinsir, being able to deal with rock and ice types, as well as common fairies like Mega Diancie, Gardevoir, and Clefable. It can also switch in to Psychic type attacks for Tentacruel. Iron head as a standard STAB attack (and flinch strats) and to clean up, U-turn to pivot switch-ins and to pivot for momentum, Healing Wish to set up Pinsir (and sometimes Gliscor) to clean up late game, and Fire punch for coverage on threats like Mega Venusaur and Scizor

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Pinsir is the endgame for this team, ideally being able to clean up unboosted in the lategame or set up for sweeping in a favorable matchup. Frustration as a strong STAB for dealing with bulkier or slower pokemon (and because hipster), Quick attack for STAB priority on weakened or disadvantaged mons, Earthquake for threats like Heatran, Volcanion, and Metagross, and Swords Dance for setting up on walls

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off

Gliscor works as a wallbreaker and a defensive switch in, specifically to electric and ground type attacks that my team doesn't like. Earthquake is the primary STAB move. Swords dance and Roost to set up when an opponent won't switch, and Knock Off to punish switch ins, get rid of Leftovers/life orbs, and hit Ghost types

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Tentacruel is a bulky switch in option and rapid spin support for the team. Knock off is for switchins and choice users, Rapid Spin is to clear hazards for a cleaner Pinsir sweep (and general rapid spinning), Scald as a STAB to cover fire, rock, and ground types and potentially punish physical attackers with a burn, and Acid Spray to discourage fairy types and potentially force a switch or weaken foes for Rotom and Clefable

Clefable @ Red Card
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 174 Def / 82 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt
Clefable works as another wall and my stealth rock setter, and to wall dragon types. I have mixed feelings about the Red Card, which I primarily use to set up stealth rock and eject less favorable matchups. I run stealth rock because stealth rock, Moonblast as a STAB and to cover dragon/dark types that this team is weak against. Toxic is to weaken walls and sometimes setups, and Thunderbolt as coverage for water/flying types, especially when they try to switch in (I'm looking at you, Charizard)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
The team's main pivot/wall, and also serves to wall ground and fire types. Will-o-wisp is to cripple physical attackers, especially ones that Pinsir and Jirachi don't like, and pile on residual damage. Pain split for recovery (especially against walls), Hydro pump for STAB and coverage against the likes of Heatran, Landorus-T, hippowdon, etc, and volt switch to pivot out of bad matchups or to bring Pinsir/Jirachi in on a favorable matchup

Last edited:
Welcome to smogon, Sumona. I understand that Mega Pinsir is your wincon but Thundurus is a really big threat to your team and hinders your Mega Pinsir from sweeping. I also see that you lack a Charizard-Y switchin.

>

Latias helps with checking Thundurus and Charizard-Y while also maintaining Tentacruel's ability to check Keldeo and to remove hazards.

I think you should change Red Card to Leftovers since Red Card is not really a viable item, but Clefable appreciates the recovery from Leftovers. Toxic does not seem like a good move on Clefable if almost all of Clefable's switchins are immune to Toxic (due to being Poison or Steel) or they are checked by Rotom-W (fire types). Therefore, I think Softboiled should be used over Toxic since Clefable simply wants recovery to survive. I am not sure how many Talonflames you will be killing with Thunderbolt but considering that you have sufficient bird checks, Rotom-W and Jirachi, and sufficient water checks, Rotom-W and Latias, it may be better to replace Thunderbolt with Thunder Wave to cripple switch-ins.

Sets:
Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Hope I helped. ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)