move 2: HP Ground
move 3: Wish
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP/224 Sdef/32 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace

Why this set deserves to be on site:
- Can consistently counter Gengar, Magnezone, Jolteon, and Starmie, to name a few.
- Provides team with Wish support.
- Solid overall special sponge.

Defensive Calcs:
LO Gengar Shadow Ball - 31.2% - 37.1%
Steel Killer Magnezone Thunderbolt - 28.5% - 33.7%
Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt - 37.9% - 44.6%
LO Starmie Hydro Pump - 38.6% - 45.5%

Offensive Calcs:
Thunderbolt vs Sub 3 Attacks Gengar: 33.2% - 39.3%
HP Ground vs Steel Killer Magnezone: 79.4% - 93.6%
HP Ground vs Specs Jolteon: 39% - 46.3%
Thunderbolt vs LO Starmie: 60.3% - 71%

Additional Comments:
Thunderbolt prevents you from being setup fodder for Skarmory, doing 55.1% - 65.3% to the standard spiker variant.
Charge Beam is still going to force out all the Pokemon this set intends to counter while gaining the potential for a late game sweep once this set's counters have been eliminated. However, Thunderbolt is generally a better option.
Alternative EV spreads are welcome.

Teammates and counters:
Flygon and Gliscor are immune to all attacks from this set. Most Pokemon with a strong Earthquake, especially those with STAB, can counter this set. As such it is good to have a pokemon with flying typing or levitate. Rest Talk Gyarados or Skarmory are good examples. Consider pairing this set with Hippowdon or Tyranitar as Sandstorm is a huge benefit. Wish and more importantly Protect give this set plenty of opportunities to abuse residual damage from Sandstorm combined with Leftovers recovery to the fullest. This Jirachi causes a lot of switches so Stealth Rocks and Spikes are beneficial.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a suggestion; change the name of the thread to a Title which includes Jirachi in it; right now it just says "Specially Defensive".

I recommend running 124 SpA and 100 SpD with calm. This allows you to 2HKO jolt with HP Ground always, and OHKOing 0 HP magnezone. In addition, Starmie's Hydro Pump still only does 43.8% - 51.5%

Although Scofield's Jirachi seems really effective I think mine has significant advantages: First, Scofield's Jirachi loses to Specs Joleton 100% of the time (well assuming it's not using body slam, which will only paralyze 60% of the time - unreliable) while my Jirachi is a 100% counter. Although his Jirachi can somewhat deal with Magnezone by means of Fire Punch, my Jirachi can actually switch into Magnezone and more reliably defeat it. Scofield's Jirachi can potentially deal with Starmie, it needs hax to do so, where as my Jirachi is a more reliable counter. EDIT: my Jirachi also beats Vaporeon while his does not. Also, my Jirachi is overall a better special sponge.

Scofield's Specially Defensive Jirachi seems like an amazing set, and maybe it does has more overall utility. But My Set is unique from his and have significant advantages: it is definitively a more reliable counter to the feared special attackers Magnezone, Jolteon, and Starmie. Look, all I'm asking is that we examine this set based on its merits instead of simply labeling it "a bad version of Scofield's Jirachi" and saying that we've proven that physical attacks are inherently better than special attack for Specially Defensive Jirachi.

Also, can a mod PLEASE change the name of this thread to "Jirachi (Specially Defensive)"

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please read the current thread regarding Specially Defensive Jirachi in order to understand why a set with special moves is not going to be approved by QC any time soon. Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)