Just started Pokemon again (Dunsparce NU)

Hello everyone my names Ramza58 and i bring you my new NU team. Now I havn't played pokemon online since Shoddy Battle, and Heartgold, Soul Silver were brand new so im trying to adjust to alot of changes (team view, Good Bug Types). Anyway i put this team together using what knowledge i have on the new metagame and alot of time thinking, being out to sea and all (Sailor). So anyway heres my team.

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Headbutt
- Bite
- Coil
- Roost

I give you Dunsparce the destroyer of worlds and all things holy, if its paralyzed its getting a heatbutt, if its a Ghost its getting bit, if its setting up then im coiling, If the destroyer losses health than Roosting all day, The poke i built this team around and a total bro. I chose bite over glare because i really didnt have an answer to ghost types. 144 HP 36DEF and 76 SPDEF just to make sure Dunsparce dosnt faint if the opponet gets a hit in, 252ATK for maximum headbutt and Bite damage.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Healer,cleric, Spec wall and loves throwing T-waves at anything thats not a ground type. Takes special hits like a champ and heal bell is a god send. Gardevoir usually comes in on Lead to throw a quick t-waveor to take a Special hit coming my way later on in the match. im not to worried about the opponet setting up rocks or spikes, but if they do or a physical hitter comes in out comes Garbador.

Garbodor @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Clear Smog
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Drain Punch

This ugly mug sets up spikes so my opponets not switching to much when everyones paralyzed, clears any stat ups with clear smog, tanks any physical attacker not using earthquake. And heals using drain punch. Pretty standard Garbador but if it isnt broke dont fix it. Takes physical hits aimed at Gardevoir/Exeggutor and usally sets up spikes while the opponet switches.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SDef
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Scald
I like this derpfish can come in on pokemon on a sub and if im lucky static will activate through the sub. Sets up sneaky rocks and takes any hits or earthquakes coming Garbadors way. Another bulky guy Stunfisk is my go to guy for Ground or rock types, blasting them with Scald or setting up stealth Rocks when necisarry. Also can hit pretty hard on Opposing Garbador/water types with Discharge and Earthpower.

Throh (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Circle Throw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

My back up plan if the Destroyer faints, once hazards are set up will proceed to circle throw anything that moves. Can rest/chesto for a quick heal dosnt mind being burned or paralyzed so usually comes in on a will o wisp or opposing t-wave, bulks up when theres nothing else to do. Really dosn't have anything to hit ghost types but just look at that body.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spd
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Psychic
- Protect

The wall of walls If i get something hard hitting and and is bulky. Exeggutor is my guy, can stall his way out of almost anything, sap health with leech seed, and protect for extra "protection". Usually my answer to bulky attackers would like to switch a move out for Stun spore for extra paralysis but really cant figure out what. Havest + Sitrus Berry means infinte subs .

Anyway general strategy is to take out any ground types first, usually falls on stunfisk shoulders, set up hazards then spread paralysis among everything, once there paralyzed in comes Dunsparce headbutti' and coilin' all day. Any crticism appreciated. Thanks.

Hey ramza, this a cool balanced team you have. Dunsparce is definitely a gimmick, but its one of the better ones in NU.

The biggest weakness I see in your team is that you lack a good switchin to Normal-types. Especially teams with more than one. Garbodor and Stunfisk can switch into most once, but will fall to repeated Double Edge's due to their lack of reliable recovery.

The weakest link I see in your team is Stunfisk. it just doesn't do enough for this team, it walls threats once and then dies.

I believe that Regirock would be a suitable replacement for Stunfisk. Sure, Regirock has the same recovery issues Stunfisk has, but is much bulkier than Stunfisk, and can switch in on Normal-types with impunity. Regirock keeps the Stealth Rock support that Stunfisk offers, but is better in nearly every way.Regirock also has Thunder Wave for reliable paralysis, Stunfisk is pretty good at spreading paralysis but doesn't function as consistently as Regiroc,.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Wave

The other change I would recommend is using a different Dunsparce set.
Body Slam and Rock Slide should be used over Headbutt and Bite. These changes will allow Dunsparce to function as a standalone sweeper, as right now it is completely reliant on your team in order to be even a bit of a threat. Body Slam allows you to paralyze opponents, and then you can flinch them to oblivion with Rock Slide! Rock Slide also has great coverage in NU, and there are very few Pokemon that resist both(Golem, Golurk, i cant think of anymore off the top of my head). Headbutt and Bite are cool, but just don't compare. I've played well over 100 matches with Dunsparce, and found Rock Slide to be a very valuable move.

Best of luck with your team!

Regirock > Stunfisk
Body Slam and Rock Slide > Headbutt and Bite on Dunsparce

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Dunsparce is in that same category with Riolu and Liepard: stuff that makes the opponent rip their hair out, which has always intrigued me among the fairly fast-paced hard hitting NU metagame.

I don't really see what Gardevoir does for your team that say, Grumpig couldn't do better. Grumpig has equal speed but better special bulk (and physical bulk), Thick Fat and Whirlwind. Gardevoir's Wish doesn't benefit your team much not only due to its low base HP, but also every single one of your team members have some form of recovery, lessening the need for Wish. Grumpig however can parashuffle, which really gives your team the edge against your opponent, who will struggle to break Dunsparce and Eggy if the majority of their team is paralyzed. The only downsides with Grumpig are its lack of reliable recovery and offensive presence, but Wish without Protect is pretty unreliable and Garde doesn't hit too hard without SAtk EVs anyway. I recommend Grumpig:

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Heal Bell
- Whirlwind
- Thunder Wave

Good luck with your team!

dunsparce / sdef gardevoir / garbodor / stunfisk / throh / exeggutor

i'm going to try keeping the changes minimal since, to be quite honest, this team is a little gimmicky and i don't want to mess with it too much. however, what i do notice is that you have some trouble with boosting psychic-types, especially the variants that carry substitute, such as gardevoir and swoobat. they force out garbodor and throh with no problems at all and they can then proceed to set up while almost nothing on your team can do anything about them once at +1 or +2 behind a substitute. normal-types seem to be a little problematic too since they can really punch holes in your team despite you having bulky pokemon.

i think metang will be the best thing to place over stunfisk. not only does it still provide stealth rock, but it provides resistances to normal-. flying-, and psychic-type attacks which is very crucial for your team. gardevoir and swoobat will have some trouble staying in and doing significant damage without more boosts while metang can hit them hard with meteor mash. in addition, metang acts as a secondary check to the slow psychic-types, such as musharna, in case you don't have exeggutor to stall them out anymore. metang is also an excellent normal-type check considering it has a neutrality to the fighting-type coverage moves that some of them tend to use.

for the minor changes, i'll just agree with raseri's suggestion for dunsparce, but i think that you should also test out leftovers instead of chesto berry on throh. the berry isn't that necessary considering you have sleep talk, and leftovers helps throh with its longevity in the long run. i'd also consider running a spread of 208 hp /252 atk / 48 spe on dunsparce. this lets it outspeed base 50s like regirock, regice, and piloswine that have 4 spe EVs (speedcreep even more at your discretion) while the rest of the EVs are dumped into hp to grant dunsparce better overall bulk. your EV spread has arbitrary defensive investment; unless it has a specific cause, which i really doubt, it's just better to maximize hp first for overall bulk.

summary:
208 hp /252 atk / 48 spe body slam and rock slide headbutt and bite dunsparce / sdef gardevoir / garbodor / metang stunfisk / leftovers chesto berry throh / exeggutor

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 48 Spd / 252 Atk / 208 HP
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide
- Coil
- Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)