OU Kabutops

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.

Overview
########
Kabutops is one of the best Pokemon on rain hyper offense, due to its ability, Swift Swim, and great Attack, which lets it 2HKO some of the best physical walls in the OU metagame after a Swords Dance. While Kabutops has a small movepool, it has everything it needs. The only Pokemon not covered by its STABs alone, Ferrothorn, loses to a Swords Dance-boosted Low Kick. Gastrodon and Chesnaught are 2HKOed by Low Kick on the switch as well. Another great trait about Kabutops is that it stops Talonflame on rain offense teams. However, despite all that Kabutops has going for it, it does have some flaws, including lackluster Special Defense and a mediocre defensive typing, meaning that its decent Defense stat rarely comes into play. Another glaring flaw is that outside of rain, Kabutops isn't an excellent Pokemon due to the huge drop in Speed. Nonetheless, Kabutops is an excellent sweeper to use on rain teams.

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
move 4: Aqua Jet / Low Kick
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Waterfall is the primary STAB, which is boosted under rain, and is capable of OHKOing most offensive Pokemon. Stone Edge is the secondary STAB and has excellent coverage alongside Waterfall. Swords Dance allows Kabutops to boost its already good Attack, but Rapid Spin can also be used if necessary, providing utility at the cost of power. However, Swords Dance is preferred because a +2 Waterfall in the rain OHKOes Skarmory after Stealth Rock. Low Kick is an awesome move for dealing with Pokemon that resist Kabutops's STAB, such as Ferrothorn, but Aqua Jet is good for revenge killing.

Set Details
=======
252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize Kabutops's offensive potential. Life Orb provides a significant power boost at the cost of some HP. An Adamant nature provides a power boost, as a Jolly nature only allows Kabutops to beat Choice Scarf Terrakion, which can be handled by Aqua Jet.

Usage Tips
========
Kabutops is free to sweep when its counters or checks are taken out or weakened. If your Politoed must be sacrificed, then be sure that you can bring Kabutops out straight after. Under normal circumstances, rain lasts just long enough for Kabutops to sweep, but only if brought out right after rain is set up. Kabutops functions even better as a sweeper after a boost from Swords Dance. The best times to use Swords Dance is when Kabutops can force out the opponent, such as when against Charizard Y, or when it can finish them off with an Aqua Jet, which is a situation where you can predict them to switch. If at any given time Kabutops needs to switch out to avoid being OHKOed, switch it out, even if it means losing the last turns of rain.

Team Options
========
Politoed is one of the best Pokemon you could ever team Kabutops up with, and for one sole reason: Drizzle. Drizzle causes rain to start when Politoed switches in, and rain is necessary for Kabutops to function. Deoxys-S is also a great rain setter, as it has the quickest rain setup in the whole game, as well as also being able to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Most Stealth Rock setters can work well with Kabutops, as it slowly weakens the opposing team and knocks certain Pokemon into KO range. Mega Scizor works well with Kabutops under rain due to the fact that Fire-type moves are weakened, and Mega Scizor has decent special bulk. Latios also works well with Kabutops, as it can beat many Pokemon that mess with its rain offense. Rotom-W is immune to Earthquake, which threatens Kabutops, and provides the utility of Volt Switch, as well as also getting a huge boost from the rain when using Hydro Pump. Lastly, Kingdra breaks many walls Kabutops has trouble with, and works well with Swift Swim as well, forming an offensive rain core.

Other Options
########
Kabutops can run a utility/support set consisting of Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Waterfall, and Stone Edge. However, Kabutops would rather use its offensive presence instead of being supportive to a team. Hone Claws could be used to boost its Attack by one stage rather than two, but boost the accuracy of Stone Edge as well. Knock Off is a nice utility move but it gains no additional coverage. Lastly, Kabutops can use a Lum Berry to escape the consequences of a burn or paralysis, which would halve its Attack or quarter its Speed, respectively.

Checks & Counters
########

**Weather Control**: Any other weather, with the occasional exception of Sand due to the Special Defense boost, is bad for Kabutops. This removes the boost to Water-type moves and the Speed boost from Swift Swim.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur completely walls Kabutops as Kabutops can't OHKO it with a boosted Stone Edge and Mega Venusaur can OHKO with a STAB Grass-type attack. Chesnaught has high defenses, resists both of Kabutops's STABs, and can OHKO it with Wood Hammer. Gourgeist has high enough Defense to take a Stone Edge and can burn Kabutops. Breloom also resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can use Bullet Seed to OHKO. Ferrothorn can completely counter Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Low Kick.

**Countertypes**: Keldeo resists both of Kabutops's STABs, isn't heavy enough to take considerable damage from Low Kick, and OHKOes with Secret Sword. Rotom-W can live an unboosted Stone Edge and can use Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp to beat Kabutops. Thundurus can OHKO Kabutops and can live a single unboosted Aqua Jet. Lastly, Gastrodon resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can 2HKO with Earth Power or burn Kabutops with Scald

**Prankster**: Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp and then OHKO with Foul Play if Kabutops has used Swords Dance. Klefki can use Thunder Wave to take away the Speed boost from Rain.

**Mega Gyarados** Gyarados can set up on an -1 Kabutops thanks to Intimidate and OHKO with Earthquake.

**Choice Scarf Terrakion**: Terrakion can only check Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet or a Speed-boosting nature, but it can OHKO with Close Combat.

Last edited by a moderator:
May also be mentioning in the overview that outside of Rain, Kabutops is a pretty meh Pokemon.

No mention of Lead Rain Dance Deoxys-S in Team Options? :O

Also Aerial Ace, while weak, should probably get an OO mention to beat shit like Chesnaught, Breloom, Keldeo, SpDef Mega Venusaur, etc after an SD boost.

Other than that, though, looks great! :)

Jukain brought that up before and then said to take it out (Keldeo and Breloom are 2HKOd, and while Chesnaught and Mega Venusaur otherwise hard counter it, not really worth the moveslot ever since it already kind of has 4MSS)

Jukain brought that up before and then said to take it out (Keldeo and Breloom are 2HKOd, and while Chesnaught and Mega Venusaur otherwise hard counter it, not really worth the moveslot ever since it already kind of has 4MSS)
After an SD boost they're all OHKOs though... It might be worth mentioning to help assist in a sweep.

Also it could totally be substituted for Low Kick, which is really a coverage move for a specific Pokemon.

But if QC said no that's fine too.

Yes, you should combine the Checks and Counters into categories. Also, in my opinion, Aqua Jet is better than Low Kick.

STAB Stone Edge hits Venu harder (yeah I know accuracy blah blah.) Keldeo has to be at absolutely 100% health to have a chance of switching in to Waterfall.

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo in Rain: 140-166 (43.3 - 51.3%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Plus Waterfall has flinch hax so Keldeo is a pretty shit counter; it must be at absolutely full health, there has to be no hazards on the field and it can't take a third Waterfall, as opposed to bulky stuff like Ferrothorn and Chesnaught.

4/0 Breloom takes quite a number from Waterfall+Aqua Jet (87.6% - 104%) so it also has a pretty hard time switching in, and if it's trying to check it's going to be using Technician Mach Punch so Aerial Ace doesn't help here.

This just leaves Chesnaught. Ferrothorn is far more common, so I wouldn't use Aerial Ace over Low Kick, especially since Ferrothorn can counter Kingdra while Chesnaught can't.

So yeah Aerial Ace is total shit and there's no reason to use it.

I do agree with Swamp Link that Aqua Jet is better; Aqua jet is more useful in more situations I've found, like against Thundurus, CB Talonflame (when you're weakened) and Scarfed Terrakion, as well as being able to pick something off when it's not raining. But being able to take out Ferrothorn is super nice and it's one of the only common pokemon able to take on both Kingdra and Kabutops, so I think Low Kick should remain in the set but should be slashed after Aqua Jet.

Mention Mega Gyarados in C&C. In can set-up on +0 Kabutops thanks to Intimidate or KO with Erfquake. And unlike other checks, if your team is weakened it can outright sweep everything, and Kabutops can only hope to stop it by hitting Stone Edge twice (and then Aqua Jet.)

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
All changes have been added

I did what everyone told me with C&C and I think I did a good enough job but if it was done incorrectly please tell me.

Just a few things that i've noticed:

The overview states that Kabutops' high defense rarely comes into play, but i've found it quite prominent, particularly against Talonflame, as well as other priority users such as Azumarill and Scizor. Similarly, I think you should mention either here or in the usage tips that Kabutops is an excellent answer to Talonflame, which can give other swift swimmers like Kingdra and Ludicolo trouble.

In team options, definitely add Deo-s as it can speedily set up rain as well as threaten Mega Venusaur with Psycho Boost. Also i'd emphasise other swift swim pokemon more as that's really the core of most rain teams. You also say that Latios is a good partner as it works well against Pokemon that check rain offense; name them specifically (venusaur and chesnaught).

the usage tips section is really vague.
Kabutops is free to sweep when its counters or checks are taken out or weakened. If your Politoed must be sacrificed, then be sure that you can bring Kabutops out straight after. Under normal circumstances, rain lasts just long enough for Kabutops to sweep, but only if brought out right after rain is set up. This requires some prediction, in case the opponent double switches.
Double switches to what? Didn't Politoed just go down and you have already got in freely?

If Swords Dance is being used, Kabutops functions even better as a sweeper after a boost from Swords Dance. If at any given time Kabutops needs to switch out to avoid being OHKO'd, switch it out, even if it means losing the last turns of rain.
I assume the bold part was meant to be removed.

Instead of warning of opposing double switches, talk a bit more about good scenarios to set up an SD; i.e if the opponent has a healthy mega venusaur then using SD is unwise, instead you could play accordingly expecting the venusaur to come in. You could also do the same for Rapid Spin; good times to use it etc.

Checks and Counters needs a bit of polishing:
  • I'd remove the line "with the exception of occasionally sand." It's a pretty cursory comment. I understand what you mean by it, but if you want to keep it in just elaborate a little on it, i.e mention the sand-setters weakness to Water-type attacks.
  • It's "Bulky Grass-types" not grasses. Also Ferrothorn definitely needs to be in there, it completely stops any set without Low Kick and is a pain for rain teams in general.
  • Type Counters is really quite a confusing term. Keldeo and Gastrodon are fine to mention under it, but Rotom-W and Thundurus? I'd suggest creating a new section called something like "bulky or fast attackers" for Rotom-W, Terrakion, and Mega Gyara. Thundurus is only in C&C due to priority T-wave, so it should go in the prankster section

The analysis is pretty good, just remember to go into detail. Also, remember I'm not QC so this is advice only

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Lastly, Kabutops may want to have a Lum Berry at some points to escape the consequences of a burn or being Paralyzed, which would half Attack or Speed, respectively.
Really minor thing, but a Pokemon's speed is quartered, not halved, when paralyzed.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
overview
is there any particular reason that it is mandatory to highlight that kabutops can use low kick to bypass the only pokemon - ferrothorn - which resists its stabs? (this isn't true btw... breloom, chesnaught, and keldeo off the top of my head resist both stabs as well)

usage tips
you should probably mention that kabutops needn't necessarily be used as a sweeper in every game given that it is a quite able cleaner as well. a swords dance boost isn't mandatory to finish off teams and it could function similarly to the way in which scarf keldeo did last gen (but don't use that example or quote me on it, haha).

checks and counters
sturdynips was right. the term 'type counters' is quite ambiguous/confusing and you could maybe try something like "(Offensive / Defensive)Type Advantage" (depending on how you split it up) for clarity. I don't see the need for you to list Choice Scarf Terrakion in its own section given that it is destroyed by Aqua Jet whenever it is run (and aqua is the main slash). Perhaps you could add a section for "Revenge Killers" (or whatever) in which you can put Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Keldeo, Choice Scarf Terrakion, and specific priority users (e.g. Conkeldurr).

similarly, I don't really know why there's much point in specifically outlining Gyarados in its own section when it gets mauled by Stone Edge in its normal forme or Low Kick in its Mega forme.

just some things to consider

Also still no mention of Rain Dance Deoxys-S in Team Options... :( This should be mentioned by name due to how it's such a great way for Rain Teams to get up their weather quickly and reliably.

deo-s needs to be mentioned, it is a much better rain setter than toed initially for rain ho when you want rocks up asap and momentum from the get-go. bringing toed in and out at the beginning on a full rain team without deo-s is predictable as fuck and you have to switch in and out and lose momentum and it isnt a good position to put yourself in, especially since rain ho is a playstyle completely dependent on momentum.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I think that it must be mentioned you OHKO skarm with +2 LO waterfall in rain after rocks. That's just beautiful.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 298-351 (89.2 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
It really lets you just rip stall to shreds.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
In the overview:
- Ferro is not the only mon that can stand up to KAbutops' STAB. Gastrodon and Chesnaught are good enough to mention
- mention briefly that it easily takes on Talonflame which would otherwise be a huge issue for rain offense

This is fine otherwise.

QC 4/4, get this GP

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Shellder Smuggler

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Kabutops is one of the best Pokemon on rain hyper offense, due to its ability, Swift Swim, and great Attack, which lets it 2HKO some of the best physical walls in the OU metagame after a Swords Dance. While Kabutops has a small movepool, it has everything it needs. The only aPokemon not covered by its STABs alone, Ferrothorn, loses to a Swords Dance-boosted Low Kick. Gastrodon and Chesnaught are 2HKOed by Low Kick as well on the switch. Another great trait about Kabutops is that it stops Talonflame on rain offense teams. However, despite all that Kabutops has going for it, it does have some flaws, including lackluster Special Defense and a mediocre defensive typing, meaning its decent Defense rarely comes into play. Another glaring flaw is that outside of rain, Kabutops isn't an excellent Pokemon, (RC) due to the huge drop in Speed. Nonetheless, Kabutops is an excellent Pokemon sweeper to use on rain teams.

Physical Attacker
########
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Moves
========
Waterfall is the primary STAB, which is boosted under rain, and is capable of OHKOing most offensive Pokemon. Stone Edge is the secondary STAB which and has excellent coverage alongside Waterfall. Swords Dance of course allows Kabutops to boost its already good Attack, but Rapid Spin can also be used if necessary, providing utility at the cost of coverage power. However, Swords Dance is preferred because a +2 Waterfall in the rain OHKOes Skarmory after Stealth Rocks. Low Kick is an awesome move for Pokemon that resist his Kabutops's dual STAB, (AC) such as Ferrothorn, and but Aqua Jet is good for revenge killing.

Set Details
=======
252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize Kabutops's offensive potential. Life Orb provides a significant power boost at the cost of some HP, and the ability to switch moves. An Adamant nature provides a power boost, since and a Jolly nature only beats Choice Scarf Terrakion, who already does not enjoy taking an which can be handled by Aqua Jet.

Usage Tips
========
Kabutops is free to sweep when its counters or checks are taken out or weakened. If your Politoed must be sacrificed, then be sure that you can bring Kabutops out straight after. Under normal circumstances, rain lasts just long enough for Kabutops to sweep, but only if brought out right after rain is set up. Kabutops functions even better as a sweeper after a boost from Swords Dance. The best times to use Swords Dance is when you Kabutops checks the opponent give an example or when you it can finish them off with an Aqua Jet, which is a situation where you can predict them to switch. If at any given time Kabutops needs to switch out to avoid being OHKOed, switch it out, even if it means losing the last turns of rain.

Team Options
========
Politoed is one of the best Pokemon you could ever team Kabutops up with, and for only one sole reason: Drizzle. Drizzle causes rain to start when Politoed switches in, and rain is necessary for Kabutops to function. Deoxys-S is also a great rain setter, as it has the quickest rain setup in the whole game, as well as also being able to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Most Stealth Rock setters can work well with Kabutops, as it slowly weakens the opposing team and knocks certain Pokemon such as? into KO range. Mega Scizor works well with Kabutops under rain due to the fact that Fire is weakened under Rain, and Mega Scizor has decent special bulk. Latios also works well with Kabutops as it beats many Pokemon such as that mess with its rain offense. Rotom-W is immune to Earthquake, which threatens Kabutops, and provides the utility of Volt Switch, as well as also getting a huge boost from the rain when using Hydro Pump. Lastly, Kingdra breaks many walls Kabutops has trouble with like what, and works well with Swift Swim as well, forming a rain offensive core.

Other Options
########
Kabutops can run a utility/support set consisting of Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Waterfall, and Stone Edge. However, Kabutops would rather use its offensive presence instead of being supportive to a team. Hone Claws could be used to boost Attack by one stage rather than two, but boost the accuracy of Stone Edge as well. Knock Off is a nice utility move but gains no additional coverage. Lastly, Kabutops may want to have can use a Lum Berry at some points to escape the consequences of a burn or being paralysis, which would halve Attack or Speed, respectively.

Checks & Counters
########

**Weather Control Changing**: Any other weather, with the exception of occasionally Sand due to the Special Defense boost and resistance, is bad for Kabutops when changed. This removes the boost to Water-type moves and the Speed boost from Swift Swim.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur completely walls Kabutops as Kabutops can't OHKO with a boosted Stone Edge and Mega Venusaur can OHKO with a Grass STAB attack. Chesnaught has high defenses, resists both of Kabutops's STABs, (AC) and can OHKO with Wood Hammer. Gourgeist has high enough Defense to take a Stone Edge and can burn Kabutops. Breloom also resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can use Bullet Seed to OHKO. Ferrothorn can completely counter Kabutops completely if Kabutops does not have Low Kick.

**Type Counters**:Find a better word for this Keldeo resists both of Kabutops's STABs, isn't heavy enough to take considerable damage from Low Kick, and OHKOes with Secret Sword. Rotom-W can live an unboosted Stone Edge and can use Volt Switch and Will-O-Wisp to beat Kabutops. . remove extra period Thundurus can OHKO Kabutops and can live a single unboosted Aqua Jet. Lastly, Gastrodon resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can 2HKO with Earth Power or burn Kabutops with Scald

**Prankster**: Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp and then OHKO with Foul Play if Kabutops has used Swords Dance was used before. Klefki can use Thunder Wave to take away the Speed boost from Rain.

**Mega Gyarados** Gyarados can set up on +0 or -1 Kabutops thanks to Intimidate and OHKO with Earthquake.

**Choice Scarf Terrakion**: Terrakion can only check Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet and does not have a Speed-boosting nature, but it OHKOes with Close Combat.

1/2

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You still have a lot of examples to add under Team Options.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########
Kabutops is one of the best Pokemon on rain hyper offense, due to its ability, Swift Swim, and great Attack, which lets it 2HKO some of the best physical walls in the OU metagame after a Swords Dance. While Kabutops has a small movepool, it has everything it needs. The only Pokemon not covered by its STABs alone, Ferrothorn, loses to a Swords Dance-boosted Low Kick. Gastrodon and Chesnaught are 2HKOed by Low Kick as well on the switch as well. Another great trait about Kabutops is that it stops Talonflame on rain offense teams. However, despite all that Kabutops has going for it, it does have some flaws, including lackluster Special Defense and a mediocre defensive typing, meaning that its decent Defense stat rarely comes into play. Another glaring flaw is that outside of rain, Kabutops isn't an excellent Pokemon due to the huge drop in Speed. Nonetheless, Kabutops is an excellent sweeper to use on rain teams.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========
Waterfall is the primary STAB, which is boosted under rain, and is capable of OHKOing most offensive Pokemon. Stone Edge is the secondary STAB and has excellent coverage alongside Waterfall. Swords Dance of course allows Kabutops to boost its already good Attack, but Rapid Spin can also be used if necessary, providing utility at the cost of power. However, Swords Dance is preferred because a +2 Waterfall in the rain OHKOes Skarmory after Stealth Rock. Low Kick is an awesome move for dealing with Pokemon that resist Kabutops's STAB, such as Ferrothorn, but Aqua Jet is good for revenge killing.

Set Details
=======
252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize Kabutops's offensive potential. Life Orb provides a significant power boost at the cost of some HP. An Adamant nature provides a power boost, and as a Jolly nature only beats allows Kabutops to beat Choice Scarf Terrakion, which can be handled by Aqua Jet.

Usage Tips
========
Kabutops is free to sweep when its counters or checks are taken out or weakened. If your Politoed must be sacrificed, then be sure that you can bring Kabutops out straight after. Under normal circumstances, rain lasts just long enough for Kabutops to sweep, but only if brought out right after rain is set up. Kabutops functions even better as a sweeper after a boost from Swords Dance. The best times to use Swords Dance is when Kabutops can force out the opponent, such as a when against Charizard Y matched up against Kabutops, or when it can finish them off with an Aqua Jet, which is a situation where you can predict them to switch. If at any given time Kabutops needs to switch out to avoid being OHKOed, switch it out, even if it means losing the last turns of rain.

Team Options
========
Politoed is one of the best Pokemon you could ever team Kabutops up with, and for only one sole reason: Drizzle. Drizzle causes rain to start when Politoed switches in, and rain is necessary for Kabutops to function. Deoxys-S is also a great rain setter, as it has the quickest rain setup in the whole game, as well as also being able to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Most Stealth Rock setters can work well with Kabutops, as it slowly weakens the opposing team and knocks certain Pokemon such as? (yes please fix this with examples) into KO range. Mega Scizor works well with Kabutops under rain due to the fact that Fire is Fire-type moves are weakened, and Mega Scizor has decent special bulk. Latios also works well with Kabutops, as it beats can beat many Pokemon such as that mess with its rain offense (more examples to add?). Rotom-W is immune to Earthquake, which threatens Kabutops, and provides the utility of Volt Switch, as well as also getting a huge boost from the rain when using Hydro Pump. Lastly, Kingdra breaks many walls Kabutops has trouble with like what (and a third time, examples), and works well with Swift Swim as well, forming a rain an offensive rain core.

Other Options
########
Kabutops can run a utility/support set consisting of Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Waterfall, and Stone Edge. However, Kabutops would rather use its offensive presence instead of being supportive to a team. Hone Claws could be used to boost its Attack by one stage rather than two, but boost the accuracy of Stone Edge as well. Knock Off is a nice utility move but it gains no additional coverage. Lastly, Kabutops can use a Lum Berry to escape the consequences of a burn or paralysis, which would halve its Attack or quarter its Speed, respectively.

Checks & Counters
########

**Weather Control**: Any other weather, with the occasional exception of occasionally Sand due to the Special Defense boost, is bad for Kabutops. This removes the boost to Water-type moves and the Speed boost from Swift Swim.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur completely walls Kabutops as Kabutops can't OHKO it with a boosted Stone Edge and Mega Venusaur can OHKO with a Grass STAB Grass-type attack. Chesnaught has high defenses, resists both of Kabutops's STABs, and can OHKO it with Wood Hammer. Gourgeist has high enough Defense to take a Stone Edge and can burn Kabutops. Breloom also resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can use Bullet Seed to OHKO. Ferrothorn can completely counter Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Low Kick.

**Countertypes**: Keldeo resists both of Kabutops's STABs, isn't heavy enough to take considerable damage from Low Kick, and OHKOes with Secret Sword. Rotom-W can live an unboosted Stone Edge and can use Volt Switch and or Will-O-Wisp to beat Kabutops. Thundurus can OHKO Kabutops and can live a single unboosted Aqua Jet. Lastly, Gastrodon resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can 2HKO with Earth Power or burn Kabutops with Scald

**Prankster**: Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp and then OHKO with Foul Play if Kabutops has used Swords Dance. Klefki can use Thunder Wave to take away the Speed boost from Rain.

**Mega Gyarados** Gyarados can set up on a +0 or -1 Kabutops thanks to Intimidate and OHKO with Earthquake.

**Choice Scarf Terrakion**: Terrakion can only check Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet and does not have or a Speed-boosting nature, but it OHKOes can OHKO with Close Combat.
Overview
########
Kabutops is one of the best Pokemon on rain hyper offense, due to its ability, Swift Swim, and great Attack, which lets it 2HKO some of the best physical walls in the OU metagame after a Swords Dance. While Kabutops has a small movepool, it has everything it needs. The only Pokemon not covered by its STABs alone, Ferrothorn, loses to a Swords Dance-boosted Low Kick. Gastrodon and Chesnaught are 2HKOed by Low Kick on the switch as well. Another great trait about Kabutops is that it stops Talonflame on rain offense teams. However, despite all that Kabutops has going for it, it does have some flaws, including lackluster Special Defense and a mediocre defensive typing, meaning that its decent Defense stat rarely comes into play. Another glaring flaw is that outside of rain, Kabutops isn't an excellent Pokemon due to the huge drop in Speed. Nonetheless, Kabutops is an excellent sweeper to use on rain teams.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========
Waterfall is the primary STAB, which is boosted under rain, and is capable of OHKOing most offensive Pokemon. Stone Edge is the secondary STAB and has excellent coverage alongside Waterfall. Swords Dance allows Kabutops to boost its already good Attack, but Rapid Spin can also be used if necessary, providing utility at the cost of power. However, Swords Dance is preferred because a +2 Waterfall in the rain OHKOes Skarmory after Stealth Rock. Low Kick is an awesome move for dealing with Pokemon that resist Kabutops's STAB, such as Ferrothorn, but Aqua Jet is good for revenge killing.

Set Details
=======
252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize Kabutops's offensive potential. Life Orb provides a significant power boost at the cost of some HP. An Adamant nature provides a power boost, as a Jolly nature only allows Kabutops to beat Choice Scarf Terrakion, which can be handled by Aqua Jet.

Usage Tips
========
Kabutops is free to sweep when its counters or checks are taken out or weakened. If your Politoed must be sacrificed, then be sure that you can bring Kabutops out straight after. Under normal circumstances, rain lasts just long enough for Kabutops to sweep, but only if brought out right after rain is set up. Kabutops functions even better as a sweeper after a boost from Swords Dance. The best times to use Swords Dance is when Kabutops can force out the opponent, such as when against Charizard Y, or when it can finish them off with an Aqua Jet, which is a situation where you can predict them to switch. If at any given time Kabutops needs to switch out to avoid being OHKOed, switch it out, even if it means losing the last turns of rain.

Team Options
========
Politoed is one of the best Pokemon you could ever team Kabutops up with, and for one sole reason: Drizzle. Drizzle causes rain to start when Politoed switches in, and rain is necessary for Kabutops to function. Deoxys-S is also a great rain setter, as it has the quickest rain setup in the whole game, as well as also being able to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Most Stealth Rock setters can work well with Kabutops, as it slowly weakens the opposing team and knocks certain Pokemon into KO range. Mega Scizor works well with Kabutops under rain due to the fact that Fire-type moves are weakened, and Mega Scizor has decent special bulk. Latios also works well with Kabutops, as it can beat many Pokemon that mess with its rain offense. Rotom-W is immune to Earthquake, which threatens Kabutops, and provides the utility of Volt Switch, as well as also getting a huge boost from the rain when using Hydro Pump. Lastly, Kingdra breaks many walls Kabutops has trouble with, and works well with Swift Swim as well, forming an offensive rain core.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Weather Control**: Any other weather, with the occasional exception of Sand due to the Special Defense boost, is bad for Kabutops. This removes the boost to Water-type moves and the Speed boost from Swift Swim.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur completely walls Kabutops as Kabutops can't OHKO it with a boosted Stone Edge and Mega Venusaur can OHKO with a STAB Grass-type attack. Chesnaught has high defenses, resists both of Kabutops's STABs, and can OHKO it with Wood Hammer. Gourgeist has high enough Defense to take a Stone Edge and can burn Kabutops. Breloom also resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can use Bullet Seed to OHKO. Ferrothorn can completely counter Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Low Kick.

**Countertypes**: Keldeo resists both of Kabutops's STABs, isn't heavy enough to take considerable damage from Low Kick, and OHKOes with Secret Sword. Rotom-W can live an unboosted Stone Edge and can use Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp to beat Kabutops. Thundurus can OHKO Kabutops and can live a single unboosted Aqua Jet. Lastly, Gastrodon resists both of Kabutops's STABs and can 2HKO with Earth Power or burn Kabutops with Scald

**Mega Gyarados** Gyarados can set up on a +0 or -1 Kabutops thanks to Intimidate and OHKO with Earthquake.

**Choice Scarf Terrakion**: Terrakion can only check Kabutops if Kabutops does not have Aqua Jet or a Speed-boosting nature, but it can OHKO with Close Combat.

GP approved 2/2

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Tiny nitpick, you say in C&C that it can set up on +0 Kabutops thanks to Intimidate. Only problem is, how does Kabutops have +0 after Intimidate? It will either be at -1 or +1 depending on whether or not it has set up an SD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)