move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Drain Punch / Earthquake
ability: Scrappy
item: Silk Scarf / Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

• Fake Out gives Kangaskhan a good priority attack that flinches the opposing Pokemon on the first turn
  • Max Happiness Return in conjunction with Silk Scarf or Life Orb gives Kangaskhan a powerful move to rely on
  • STAB base 120 Double-Edge is an extremely powerful move that Kangaskhan can utilize
  • Sucker Punch is another prioritized move that Kangaskhan can utilize, it's also a good revenge killing move
  • The move Drain Punch allows Kangaskhan to recover half of the damage the move dealt.
  • Earthquake gives Kangaskhan decent coverage over Pokemon like Probopass who resist Kangakhan's STAB attacks

Set Details
========

• Life Orb gives an attack boost to all of Kangaskhan's attack, but slowly takes HP away from Kangaskhan
  • Adamant nature gives Kangaskhan an attack boost
  • Max speed let's Kangaskhan out-speed some of the tiers biggest threats
  • Silk Scarf gives a boost only to Kangaskhan's normal type attacks
  • Scrappy lets Kangaskhan hit Ghost-Type Pokemon
  • Standard offensive EV's

Usage Tips
========
  • Kangaskhan is best as a mid-game cleaner
  • Can be used as a Revenge Killer

Team Options
========

• A Pokemon who is immune or resist Fighting-Type attacks is a good teammate for Kangaskhan
  • Bulky defensive pivot
  • Kangaskhan really does not appreciate being burned or paralyzed so it's recommend to have a good Pokemon who learns Heal Bell like Uxie and Granbull who also resist Fighting-Type attacks
  • Wall breakers can help Kangaskhan by killing or atleast damaging walls

SET NAME
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Return
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Power Up- Punch / Earthquake
move 4: Fake Out
item: Assault Vest
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Drain Punch is probably the most important move on this set, as it can restore half on the HP the move dealt
  • Return gives Kangaskhan a powerful move to rely on
  • With lack of speed and Sucker Punch, Fake Out is Kangaskhan's only revenge killing move if it does not out speed the Pokemon
  • Earthquake gives Kangaskhan a little bit more coverage on Rock and Steel type Pokemon who resist Kangaskhan's STAB moves
  • With the lack of an item that boost Kangaskhan's attack, Power Up- Punch is recommend to give Kangaskhan an extra attack boost

Set Details
========
  • With Kangaskhan's decent bulk and reliable recovery in Drain Punch, Assault Vest
  • Scrappy let's Kangaskhan hit ghost type Pokemon
  • The EV's in HP and SpD lets Kangaskhan live attacks from the tiers best special attackers such as Pyroar and Typhlosion
  • EV's in attack gives Kangaskhan an attack boost
Usage Tips
========

• Assault Vest Kangaskhan is best used as an offensive pivot
  • Don't constantly bring Kangaskhan in on physical attackers, Assault vest Kangaskhan is used to take a special hit or two and is still able to deliver loads of damage

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon who have good synergy with Kangaskhan are good partners for it
  • A Pokemon with Heal Bell, since Kangaskhan does not like to be burned or paralyzed
  • A good defoger of rapid spinner. A rapid spinner would be best so you can keep your hazards like sticky webs on the field
  • Sticky Web support, as Kangaskhan has no speed investment in this set
  • A Ghost type Pokemon to prevent rapid spinners from spinning away your sticky webs

SET NAME
########
name: Sub-Punch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Return
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Moves
========
  • Substitute allows Kangaskhan to use Focus Punch without worrying about losing focus
  • Focus Punch powerful move that not a lot of Pokemon can take, not even ghost type Pokemon because of Scarppy
  • Return is another powerful move to that Kangaskhan can rely on in this set
  • Sucker Punch gives Kangaskhan a good possible revenge killing move
Set Details
========

• Leftovers lets Kangaskhan slowly restore health from using Substitute
  • EV's in HP
  • EV's in Atk gives Kangaskhan let's it hit hard
  • Adamant nature, is basically an Atk boost for Kangaskhan
  • 4 EV's in speed let Kangaskhan outspeed unboosted base 90 speed Pokemon
  • The ability Scrappy let's Kanaskhan hit Ghost-type Pokemon

Usage Tips
========

• Don't constantly switch in on hazards, the more health you have the more possible substitutes Kangaskhan can make

Team Options
========

• Good defogger or rapid spinner
  • Stick Webs
  • A way to remove status
  • A good Pokemon who resist fighting types

Other Options
########

• Fire Punch gives Kangaskhan good coverage over common Pokmeon in the tier like Ferroseed
  • Hammer Arm is another move option for Kangaskhan
  • Bulky Wish Set
  • Circle Throw with hazard support

Checks & Counters
########
**Fighting-Types**: Bulky Fighting-Types such as Hariyama who can live any attack Kangaskhan throws at it is a problem for Kangaskhan. Fighting types in general cause Kangaskhan trouble

**Garbodor**: Is a decent check to Kangaskhan as it can live multiple hits from Kangaskhan like a super effective Earthquake. (Life Orb is a 2HKO)

**Will-O-Wisp**: Being burned cuts Kangaskhan's attack

**Weezing**: Can take multiply hits from Kangaskhan and has access to Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I know this is a WIP, but:

Slash Double-Edge first, and put Life Orb in sets details

Fire Punch and Hammer Arm in OO.

Circle Throw in OO, with reliable entry hazard support Circle Throw can be fun.

A bulky Wish set in OO too :)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Uhm, add an AV set. I've used it since forever in NU, and lately I've seen a lot of it on the ladder. it's inherently really bulky, and AV just compliments it as it has pseudo-recovery in Drain punch. Definitely worth a set, a slash, or at least a mention as it's the second most used item :]

I'm not entirely sold on the merits of a banded set..

Also add a sub punch set, because with Scrappy, nothing wants to switch-in to FocusPunch + Return.

For the first set, slash Jolly before Adamant, as 90 is a pretty important speed tier - outspeeding things like Sawk, HP Fire Lilligant, +Speed Mesprit, Vivillon, non-scarf Rotom formes etc - mention some of these mons in set details. For the item, mention that Silk Scarf is better mainly because Double Edge + LO recoil wears Kanga down quickly, but even with LO, Return is weaker than SS Double Edge. Adding to that, Drain Punch helps mitigate the recoil and imo should not be used with Silk Scarf because it's so weak (I prefer EQ over DP and think it should be slashed first idk how other QC members feel about that).
Elaborate on the usage tips some more as well.

On the AV set, Sucker Punch should probably be used, as priority is Kanga's biggest draw (but I don't have much experience with the set so TheCanadianWifier and Montsegur should probably have more to say about the set).

Also idk about SubPunch getting its own set, I've never really seen it in action and it doesn't look good enough to warrant its own set to me (feel free to prove me wrong).

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I normally run Sucker Punch over PuP on AV kanga. Return is obvious STAB, Fake out + Sucker is super nice so you want both of those, and Drain punch hits everything EQ does anyway, barring shit like typhlosion which you 2hko anyway [plus it gives you that recovery]. There isn't really a spot for PuP or EQ to fit on the AV set.
imo the best set is Fake Out / Return / Drain Punch / Sucker Punch, maybe with a slash of PuP over, uhm.. Sucker? maybe? idk.. It might just be best to leave PuP as an OO, or just give it a mention in moves.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The nice thing about PuP is that after a boost or two Kanga can sweep teams, on a bulkier set that isnt focused around double priority PuP is nice to have. I've seen it used well having PuP over Fake Out, the reason for this is that AV kang seems to be more interested in staying in than double priority. Fake out is still really good and probably should be first slash, but I think the set should look like this:
Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Return
move 2: Drain Punch
move 4: Fake Out / Power-Up Punch
item: Assault Vest
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD

Also make sure to put the set name where set name goes above the # on all of them

Agreeing with Aladyyn on the first set, I've never wanted to use LO on that set. LO wears Kanga down way to fast, and the set is focused around Fake out and Return/Double-Edge. EQ and sucker are there for the resists and for the KO's that Fake Out doesnt get.

Overview needs to be expanded out, needs more negative points. Not getting Knock Off doesnt really hurt Kanga as it gets Scrappy and doesnt really need SE coverage for ghost-types.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The tabs above the sets should be the same as what is after the "name:" tag, and look like this:
Physical Attacker
########
name : Physical Attacker
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Double-Edge / Return
move 4: Drain Punch / Earthquake
item: Silk Scarf / Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Notice how the tab doesn't say "SET NAME"? Just a knitpick.

Also, if you haven't noticed yet, there is a space between "name" and ":" that needs to be removed.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing about deslashing LO, Kanga really needs the extra longevity esp. if it's running Double-Edge (which is most of the time). Just put it in Set Details. I think Adamant should remain the first slash though, I'm not opposed to slashing Jolly but Kanga really likes the extra power to RK stuff with its double priority + hit harder. Should be a secondary slash imo

Also your Overview is really lacking in information. All it does is just state a lot of really obvious shit about Kangaskhan that you can literally rehash straight from the analysis page. You need to list what it actually DOES in the meta; I don't care what moves it learns, or what abilities it gets, or what its highest stat is, I want to know how it puts its traits to use. What roles does it fulfill? What makes it stand out amongst its competition? It's fine to list a couple traits but only if they directly pertain to its roles in the meta (for example, it's fine to mention double priority on a point explaining its revenge killing abilities, but just saying "it gets Fake Out + Sucker Punch!!" and leaving it at that isn't). Also, listing "not getting Knock Off" as your only con (or even ~a~ con) is awful, lol.

Oh and add Aqua Tail in OO for Rhydon

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remember to add somewhere that fake out + sucker punch gets rid of frail focus sash users like kadabra and leavanny/brings archeops down to defeatist range.
Also, maybe add the option of 0 happiness frustration instead of return somewhere in other options to give ditto a big middle finger.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
Expand this out, I dont get much from it other than stuff I could get by looking at the base stats / ability

[Physical Attacker Set]
Talked with Soulgazer, and he and I both agree that LO isnt the best for Kanga, it should be Silk Scarf / Leftovers with Life Orb mentioned in Set Details

[Usage Tips, physical attacker]
This doesnt really tell me much, tell me how I'm supposed to use Kanga like when I should Fake Out or when I should just straight attack
Also expand out on the tips already there, like say how it is used as a revenge killer with the double priority

[AV set]
Slash Sucker Punch before Fake Out, this set is more of a cleaner

[Usage Tips, AV]
This is also a little bit lacking, expand out on these as well, when should I use p-punch etc. etc.

[Sub-Punch]
This set doesnt seem good enough to get a full set on the analysis, and from you usage tips it doesnt look like you tested it at all, remove it.

[Other Options]
Add in the Sub Punch set

[C&C]
Mention Ferroseed, walls even Drain Punch versions.

Please reply to the thread when you have updated as it will let us know when you are ready to have us QC again.

I'll give a check after I've seen the usage tips.

Due to the poor quality of the skeleton, the writers inactivity, and the importance of Kangaskhan in the NU metagame. This is being reassigned on high priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)