Kawaii Onslaught

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I've been playing competitively for many years now, and this is my 2nd XY Ubers team to be rated, but please forget about the first one. Many people on PS's XY Post-bank ubers ladder will recognise the team; it's original, unique, recognisable, yet still pushes many top-ladder players to their limits. I've reached ~1900ish with this team, but beaten people in the top 20 of ladder before, and lots of the people about seem to like the time, so I thought it would be a good idea. Also I beat Level 56 with it this morning (after he smashes the ubers tourney last night with his immense blaziken-based team). These sets are not standard in all cases, but they are not gimmicks, whatever they may appear. They are built to work with eachother and allow multiple ways to handle any one threat. The 'aim' of the team is usually to allow M-mawile to come in safely under trick room and OHKO many threats (It can OHKO 252HP/0Def Giratina, and with SR damage KO 4HP/0Def Kyogre, as examples of how strong it is). Furthermore, since I run Mawile and Skymin, it is officially the most kawaii viable ubers team we have anyway.

Anyhow, enough of that crafted introduction, the team:

ZoroDark (Bronzong) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Trick Room
Either this or Palkia is my go-to lead. Mental Herb means it does fantastically against Deo-A/S leads. EVs means that Sarced Fire from Ho-oh (assuming no sun, LO, Muscle Band (lol) or choice band, or BPed boosts.. aka basically Sub/Roost usually, but very common this meta) won't KO it after stealth rock damage. Pretty obvious what it does. Also an ok check, if not counter, to Xerneas. Named after a PO player I've had some amusing encounters with (go me using torkoal - ubers premier spinner - in a final on PO vs him).

Maka (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch

This pokemon is my baby <3 I'm not the first to use this as a team's key sweeper (then again the only other person I know who does run it is called Fixed - a top notch PO player imo, but I guess most of you won't know him). Iron Head/Play Rough are impressive dual STABs. It can do impressive damage to anything. Rock Slide makes it a perfect Ho-oh lure. Sucker Punch KOs non-Mega-Mewtwo-X formes (but if under trick room and predicted, a play rough will OHKO it :D) Pretty much the only things this set can't beat are Aegilash (thanks to xerneas this is alas frequent enough - but a well predicted sucker punch still beats it anyway), Groudon (but it can still deal near 40% on it, so past a certain point it actually stops being an issue). Dialga is super-rare atm, but this set doesn't like it. Needs speed advantage to beat the many WoWers of the tier, but most can be OHKOed. Genesect only takes ~80% from rock slide, so at full HP that is still a counter with flamethrower. So yeah, I love this pokemon. Can be difficult to get in at times, but when you can it's fantastic. And its bulk isn't so terrible that neutral/resisted hits can stop it. Really, Groudon/Aegi are the best counters. Named after Maka Albarn (currently Miyuki Koizomi or something like that), a friend on PO. Just cos.
It's also the only thing stopping belly drum azumarill raping me turn one. And it is really weak to Lando-T and dislikes gliscor. Luckily both of those are fairly rare, though not unseen, this meta. Still, the team has trouble dealing with those at times.

Tehtrolkid13 (Arceus-Fighting) @ Fist Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Judgment
- Recover

Bear with me on this. I know, yes, I am naturally going to be weak to ho-oh, looking at the previous mons. Basically, this team requires a lot of well played prediction to beat Ho-oh. This is not a tool for doing that. What it does do is beat ekiller, wallceus, and arceus-steel, all of which can torment the team. It also set sup nicely over M-scizor, Genesect, Groudon, Kyogre, as examples. Countered by M-mewtwo-Y, but lugia can take hits from that all day. Shadow Ball hits Aegilash harder, and also hits giratina SE. Naturally set-up bait to xerneas, but that's a pokemon this team can usually handle. Named after tehtrolkid13 from PO, now known as Starstorms. EVs are to do its best at walling stuff like E-killer. Shadow Ball > Dark Pulse despite lack of flinch chance, since, despite their coverage being similar, in return for also the normal type immunity, mega-mewtwo-X can be hit super-effectively, and xerneas neutrally, which is better than a poke in the eye with a short stick, despite those being targets that in most situations it would switch out on.

Espy (Palkia) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunder
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast

This set has come after much deliberation. I must admit the flaw with this team is often it tries to work Palkia too hard, so when playing with it, use it wisely. Lum Berry lets it be one of two things that don't mind facing darkrai's (the other being skymin). Haban Berry I found pretty stupid, leftovers I'm considering trying since darkrai is so rarely a problem, but this spends pretty little time in the game for me. Spacial Rend hits harder than Surf on basically everything. Fire Blast hits the obvious, but also hits groudon a tad harder under the sun, which is nice. Thunder is for kyogre, and can be used as last ditch attempt vs ho-oh. A little unpredictable for some foes, too. EVs simply maximise power then bulk.
Named after Espeon now known as Arcanine now known as Crobat. SHe is someone I've enjoyed knowing on PO for a while.

Skymin (Shaymin-Sky) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Healing Wish
- Air Slash

And this is the only one not named after someone from PO. This is also where anything that might have appeared standard kinda breaks down. Firstly, the EV spread. 240 Spd/Timid allows it to outspeed Max. Spd Darkrai. Secondly, 252 HP gives it 101HP substitutes, which is nice for the rare Xatu/not-quite-as-rare Chansey running seismic toss or night shade. It's not designed to hit hard, and it works well in conjunction with Lugia spreading paralysis. Trick room is hardly up most of the time anyway, and it threatens Kyogre often too. Despite serene grace's nerf, air slash is still perfectly acceptable to use, however focussing primairily on haxing the foe to death is too unreliable so this set is designed to beat foe's consistently (when leech seed doesn't miss D:<). And furthermore, Healing Wish (when I use it right D:< I play this wrong far too often) is a godsend, usually for Mawile, but indeed could be used to revive or even remove status from whatever member is most needed to give a shot at beating the foe's team. A weird, unorthodox set, but often it can be unbreakable (I beat someone with >2200 I think the other day 5-4 when they gave up because they couldn't get past the sub). Sub is fantastic, allowing you to abuse when the foe's moves have poor accuracy, as well as if they're paralysed, to soften incoming blows, and protect from status such as dark void. It can be used as a lead vs teams with darkrai and no obvious other lead (like deoxys formes, forre).

Slayer! (Lugia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 SDef / 204 Spd
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave

You could justify some changes to this set, but it works quite nicely. The speed EVs allow it to outspeed all base 90s, meaning it can paralyse the currently highly-favoured ho-oh. Double-phaze allows it to phaze xerneas, as well as phaze when taunted (see m-mewtwo X which think they get a free turn after they taunt it to use bulk up). Not like it is gonna hurt much when it's taunted anyway. Thunder wave allows a lifeline to the team usually when palkia and bronzong are fainted, and can often paralyse a whole team (fuck you zekrom). Roost is for obvious purpose.

I hope most of you liked that, and understand what each pokemon is trying to do, why each EV spread isn't quite standard in some instances, and what purposes they serve. The team isn't solely beaten by one pokemon, but against good players the pokemon that tend to cause the most trouble are ho-oh (but this team still has quite a few ways of at least checking the bugger - recently it's quite rare it beats me), zekrom (unparalysable, hits like a fucking truck. Can beat me fairly easily in the hands of the right player. Hopefully bronzong can tank a bolt strike from it, that would be nice, but I haven't checked..), Azumarill (very rare), Aegilash (though fire blast on palkia gives me options, as does sucker punch on mega-mawile. Always hard to beat when I face it, almost without exception), Landorus-T (rare but very hard to break). Rayquaza in theory could tear through it, but almost no-one runs it, and palkia can easily run haban berry>lum berry to ease prediction against that anyway.

And that's the power of kawaii anti-meta strategy. Please feel free to rate, test, luvdisc, give me free stuff, and totally hate your guts out.

Importable: ZoroDark (Bronzong) @ Mental Herb
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Trick Room

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch

Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Judgment
- Recover

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunder
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast

Skymin (Shaymin-Sky) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Healing Wish
- Air Slash

Calm Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Aeroblast
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Seems like a missed a piece of news, Serene Grace got nerfed?

Seems like Yveltal could be a problem (4/6 of your Pokemon are threatened by a SE hit from it, you'd have to switch in Mawile each time and would probably get worn down after a while.. another option is paralyzing it I guess, but that's not always reliable)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Serene Grace is now 1.5x not 2x, idk if PS is updated with it, but it means Air Slash has the (still high) chance of 45% to flinch (or slightly less factoring accuracy)

As a note to status absorbing..
Arceus-Fighting and Lugia love tanking WoW's (especially since it means lugia can't then be otherwise messed with). Skymin is immune to powders (basically spore really) and is v. fast and can set up subs, indeed listen to what I said about how I tend to lead with it vs teams that appear to have darkrai. It depends on the team what I otherwise let absorb status, but everything everywhere is throwing around status, you just have to be ready to play around it, which this team is capable of doing.

Yveltal has very very rarely been a problem. It's not like anything can switch in to m-mawile without taking a chunk of damage, and lugia would outspeed most sets of yveltal anyway, so paralysing it and sacking lugia to let m-mawile in to clean is often viable, depending on the stage of the match. Skymin can also easily predict around status it throws and sucker punches from most yveltals (I haven't really met a specs one yet). And it's hit fairly hard by palkia, which can easily take a hit back and deal.

Another note; Heatran seems to be the one thing that dropping surf off of palkia makes me weaker to (especially since mawile hasn't the moveslot for brick break). Luckily it's pretty rare and niche (thinking about it, rock slide from m-mawile might KO it after SR damage, but then again most uber heatrans would be running more defensive sets anyway..).

To be honest, its biggest weakness is it can be prediction-heavy. So basically, good players, particularly those carrying stuff like zekrom, ho-oh, and aegilash, and heck even rayquaza and yveltal. I think I'll try and snare some replays to show you how the team functions in battle when played properly; here's the one of me vs level 56, take from it what you will: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-66590652

Analyzing the battle.. I have no idea who your opponent is, but it looks like you caught them off-guard :p I think he needed to try to burn you a lot earlier with the Arceus, and if he didn't put up the rain, Blaziken could have gotten a KO :p Small things like that coulda went a long way in their favour ._. Also.. your team setup is highly effective against theirs, Trick Room is kind of known for beating out squishy offensive Pokemon who primarily rely on their speed. (Also the whole not having a Spinner when they have a Ho-Oh is kinda weird to me)

Though, looking at your opponent's team, I can kinda imagine your opponent's setup constantly being used (primarily offensive with squishy attackers) on the ladder, so Trick Room really does pick them apart. You didn't even showcase your Arceus or your Shaymin either :P

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Well, I had battled Level 56 the day before as well. He won the ubers weekend tourney, beating everyone 3-0 or better (including myself). He's top 30 on the ladder, as far as I can remember as well. There's moments in there which highlight how prediction-heavy the team is - if his blaziken had sword danced rather than flare blitzed (expecting me to switch rather than KO with play rough) then we would have beaten me - his set is basically uncounterable (he runs SD/Flare Blitz/Knock Off/Low Kick - the only real counter is talonflame, when it has stealth rock support) once it sets up (though it KOs itself through its own flare blitz recoil).

I'll record some more battles later ^_^

Nice, interested to see how your team will do :P Ubers is a different world to me, the style of teams contrasts my typical playstyle most of the time (favouring stall tactics, primarily relying on non-direct attacks to deal damage)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
You should try out XY Ubers, almost all of it is becoming fairly stall-oriented, despite threats being as powerful as ever xD

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
.. I don't have a source sorry. Erm.. I don't even own the game to test it xD
I'd say get someone to check it out because it seems it might have been changed so it's probably worth a look into.

Edit: Extra team-based comment;
Run 31 Speed IVs and put the spare 4 into Speed rather than Sp. Def. The only thing at its speed tier that's relevant is aegi, and outspeeding is to its benefit usually. I'll make an edit to the importable.

Second Edit:
Aeroblast>D-tail on lugia. Since m-mew2X is all that taunts it, STAB aeroblast is fine for it. Also ok vs mega-gengar.

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ditch dtail on lugia, put in toxic/aeroblast. Aeroblast if you're scared of mmx or toxic just to straight out stall mons to death.

Put your speed ivs back on mawile since you want to outspeed aegis so you don't pray for the speed tie with sucker punch (TR is most likely going to be down rather than up)

Get a secondary geoxern check rather than just zong since zong will probably have to come in repeatedly not only when xern comes in, but also to set up tr since it has a easier time coming in than kia does which allows it to get worn down.

Ditch fightceus, it provides little to no synergy and allowing ho oh a ko everytime it comes in is ill advised. (it comes in on pretty much anything bar palkia) Instead go use the standard rockceus set with defog/WoM/judgment/recover since not only does it allow you to check ho oh better but it'll also be able to speed tie and/or cripple opposing sd arceus forms.

Probably more things I want to say but try the changes I suggested out .-. Atm with your current team ho oh and ygod wreck you.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
After some discussion with some people in the ubers room I've got a new version of the team, with fightceus-->rockceus, and skymin-->latias, will test and see how it goes.

Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Trick Room

Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch

Tehtrolkid13 (Arceus-Rock) @ Stone Plate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Def / 200 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Judgment
- Recover

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunder
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast

Skymin (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Roost

Calm Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Aeroblast
- Thunder Wave

Is residual damage so annoying to latias to the point where leftovers is needed over soul dew? Also i feel that latias is pure set up bait for xerneas so you might wanna consider soul dew latios over your current latias set to hit xerneas switch ins harder.. If you wanna continue with latias however i still thing soul dew is the way to go cause latias is only used over latios when extra bulk is needed. Also could you explain why exactly do you use aeroblast over any other coverage move? The only reason i see is because of blaziken but trick room itself is a nice check to it anywayz.

btw i'd go for a spread of 64 HP /252 SAtk/ 192 Spd if using latios or 132 HP / 176 SAtk / 200 Spd if using Latias cause max max isn't really necessary for them.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Soul dew is illegal.

Aeroblast is only for M-mewtwo-X and m-gengar, since they're the only things that would taunt it (and the only reason it would want to hit anything).

In all honesty, I think I'm going to currently run rockceus + skymin. The benefits or arceus-rock are clearly great. I'm not sure if I replace skymin what I want the new pokemon in its place to do.. the teams weaknesses to cover at the point would be aegilash (the faster I can make it die the better) (but skymin is actually nbad vs it imo), zekrom (unless it comes in with tr set up it has the potential to net free kills) ho-oh (the more you ways the better, but it'd be no longer a primary concern). Latias really does jack shit to fix those issues, hsa 5 type weaknesses, and is slower than skymin. Skymin obviously has bulk issues, but tbh it's use 50% of the time is to revive stuff, the other 50% it is to wear down foes, and occasionally wall stuff to hell and back. Also it has the merit of being fairly good against stall (I heard trick room teams struggle against that or something? Anyway..), and in the worst instances it can still leech seed whirlwinders, or heck even hax them to death if appropriate. So, whilst it might not appear it, skymin does play a variety of valuable and unique roles, so if it's replaced, it has to be with a genuine value and reason that resonates with giving the team a better shot at victory overall.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-66937468

That's an intersting replay. It shows me playing horribly, getting one meaningful crit, and still wining with my team versus a very good player..

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-67145084
And that one's just vs my friend, but skymin puts in work ^_^ And a skymin beats a ho-oh.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-67159703
I don't play as well as I should, still, and this guy is >1500 ranking (but tbh his team looks legit, bar mixed scarf zekrom?), skymin wins it for me again.

Last edited:
Items aren't able to be transferred via Pokebank :< Which suggests to me that they may be a way to gain access to the special items certain Pokemon

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh, I see :(. Well regardless, Soul Dew is legal (hence why you're able to give it to Latis in the teambuilder), at least for the time being.
Yeah, when Pokebank is officially released Soul Dew is going to be banned if we find it is still 100% unattainable within XY.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-68127088

I lost this 1-0.. arceus-water is tough. Anyway, fuck off breloom thought it was a good game, and I could have played a bit better but it's worth a watch. Tbh I cba to show the current pastebin of the team, but it's a bit of a weird mash-up in some ways, yet I'm fairly happy with it atm.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-68132555

When I battled this guy I thought he was a newb, how easily I wiped the floor with him. Turns out before the battle he had >2300..

A solid 4-0 showcasing how most of the team is supposed to do their jobs, and how well the team copes against the standard in hyper-offense this gen.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Not meaning to bump but I thought I'd share the final version of the team, since I'm not using it any more except on special occasions..

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 40 Def / 28 SDef

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Gyro Ball

- Stealth Rock

- Explosion

- Trick Room

Trait: Intimidate

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Iron Head

- Play Rough

- Rock Slide

- Sucker Punch

Trait: Multitype

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Trick Room

- Shadow Ball

- Judgment

- Recover

Trait: Multiscale

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Aeroblast

- Thunder Wave

- Whirlwind

- Roost

Trait: Pressure

Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)

- Trick Room

- Thunder

- Fire Blast

- Spacial Rend

Shaymin (Shaymin-S) @ Leftovers

Trait: Serene Grace

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Air Slash

- Healing Wish

- Substitute

- Leech Seed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)