XY Doubles Kelverian's Hyper Offensive Squad

Hey, Kelverian! Glad to see another very good Doubles player post a solid team such as this one. Not many people know how to create a Hyper Offensive Doubles team that works effectively, but you are one of the very few exceptions. I hope to see you get more involved in the Doubles community here at Smogon, man. :] There isn't much I would change to this team, considering it has previously peaked #1 on the Smogon Doubles ladder. However, I do have a couple of suggestions that can help you out greatly in the long run.

I highly suggest giving Talonflame an Adamant nature over a Jolly nature to give him some extra offensive firepower to go along with the added Life Orb boost. Talonflame already outspeeds the majority of the common threats in the Smogon Doubles metagame without a positive speed nature (outspeeds base 100 Pokemon with a positive nature by a point), and Gale Wings gives Brave Bird and Tailwind +1 priority, anyway. I understand you don't want Liepard, Ambipom, and Weavile to outspeed Talonflame and hit first with Fake Out, but in the situation you see any of those three Pokemon you can easily spam your priority moves (Brave Bird, ExtremeSpeed, Ice Shard) to KO them, as they are all very frail. Those three fast Fake Out Pokemon shouldn't be too threatening, not to mention they aren't very common.

The EV spread you have on Dragonite is slightly off due to the fact you have 230 HP EVs and 30 Speed EVs invested, which are not multiples of four (4 EVs = 1 Stat Point); you're wasting an extra stat point you could invest in another stat category because 230 HP EVs will be registered as 228 HP EVs and 30 Speed EVs will be registered as 28 Speed EVs. I recommend changing your EV spread to 232 HP / 248 Atk / 28 Spd; with this spread your HP hits an odd number, meaning you take a minimal amount of residual damage from Sand and Hail, while the 28 Speed EVs enable Dragonite to outspeed Timid Mega Manectric by a point when under Tailwind.

As for Mamoswine, the only change I would make is to change his EV spread to 208 HP / 244 Atk / 56 Def, allowing him to survive a Superpower from Adamant Landorus-Therian 100% of the time. The previous EV spread you had on your Mamoswine was also slightly off; 250 Atk EVs and the 30 Speed EVs would have been registered as 248 Atk EVs and 28 Speed EVs, wasting another 4 EVs. Trust me on this, one stat point can make all the difference in whether or not you win a match, which is why many players have specific EV spreads.

In my opinion, Mega Charizard Y shouldn't be carrying Air Slash; you already have Grass-type coverage with his STAB Heat Wave and Typhlosion's STAB Eruption and Heat Wave, and Fighting-type coverage is taken care of by Talonflame's Brave Bird and the powerful STAB Psychic of Deoxys-Attack. Air Slash is a waste of a moveslot on Charizard, so I suggest giving him Fire Blast over Air Slash for a STAB Fire-type move that can bypass Wide Guard. Fire Blast actually does more damage than Air Slash against AV Conkeldurr, even if it isn't a super effective attack like Air Slash.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 325-384 (78.5 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 296-350 (71.4 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd also consider shifting Charizard's 136 Special Defense EVs to his Defense stat, enabling him to survive a Return from Jolly Mega Kangaskhan 100% of the time.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 20 HP / 136 Def Mega Charizard Y: 253-301 (83.7 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only other change I would make to your team is to give Typhlosion a Timid nature as opposed to a Modest one; this lets him speed tie the base 100's with a positive Speed nature (Mega Kangaskhan, Zapdos, Salamence). A Modest nature isn't a necessity on Typhlosion due to the fact he already possesses Choice Specs for a 1.5x Special Attack boost.

Hope my advice helps! Even though you said you didn't really need a rate, I rated this anyway for anyone else who sees this RMT and decides to use it. :]

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 232 HP / 248 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Tailwind

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 208 HP / 244 Atk / 56 Def
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 20 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interesting- your team completely lacks Protect! It's nice that you managed to pull it off, but I guess Hyper Offense is what'snecessary for that haha

I'll add a short rate too, just some things floating in my mind while reading this, take these as you will:

This team is quite reliant on Sun to function, but there simply won't always be opportunities to switch Charizard in and out. Thus, I suggest that you try Sunny Day instead of Air Slash on Charizard. Sunny Day lets you reset Sun for Typhlosion without having to go through the hassle of switching out. It also guarantees that Typhlosion stays in as long as necessary by enabling Zard Y to renew both Tailwind and Sun. Air Slash is really unnecessary here; Talonflame already provides enough Flying-type coverage, and you're spamming Heat Wave / setting up most of the time anyway.

To help against Wide Guard, I'd suggest Fire Blast over Hidden Power Ice on Typhlosion. HP Ice might be useful but you should leave that to Mamoswine and Deoxys. You don't want to be locked into it and be forced to switch out to ruin your momentum. Eruption / Fire Blast in Sun hits things harder anyway.

Other than that, this is a pretty solid team. Nice job!

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hihi
talon: protect>quick guard
deo:psycho boost> psychic
protect> taunt
char: protect>air slash air slash does no damage

edi: just saw your disclaimer
ignore my rate then fren

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)