KOTR Special #1

Hi, I'm KOTR. Please excuse the lowsy formatting. I'm not educated in the likes of post prettification.

Anyway, this is my first team! I took up competitive Pokemon battles a few days ago, and here's the team I've been using! It's changed a few times since I began, as I've slowly begun to learn the metagame and educate myself on what Pokemon work with it and the other guys on my team. But I'm not sure if I'm approaching the game correctly, and I want to make absolutely sure there aren't any large holes in my strategy and my team is good.

But before we move on, I want to show big thanks to that Mewtwo guy on PO. He helped me by suggesting Gliscor and Rotom-W, which have improved my team by leaps and bounds!

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
Good old Scizor. Is there a more reliable Pokemon? I dunno. Maybe. Anyway, Scizor is my point man, revenge killer, sweeper, etc. He does a little bit of everything, which is why I like him. But, if I had to delegate him to something specific it would be revenge killer. I'm sure I don't need to descrive why STAB Tech-boosted Bullet Punch is so damn good. U-turn is of course for getting the heck outta Dodge. The combination of Bullet Punch and U-turn is potent. He leads the battle, and if he can't handle or set up on the opponent's lead, he U-turns out and I follow with the appropriate check or counter, saving good old Clamps for late-game cleanup. Superpower is for opposing Scizor and lead Tyranitars and Cloyster, which I've seen fairly often. It's also nice to have something epic Scizor can go out on if Life Orb damage is about to finish him off.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire
252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
Hardy (Neutral)
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Dragon Pulse
- Stealth Rock

I'm.. not quite sure what Heatran is all about. I'll be honest with you. The only reason he's on the team is to absorb Fire-type attacks sent at Scizor then either take care of those Fire-types for him, lay down rocks to support his cleanup, or taking out random dudes with coverage. I would love some input on how to make him better synergize with the team or what he needs to be replaced with. I haven't done so myself because he's just good. He clears out Dragons to assist Latias, beats opposing Heatran, and sometimes even just comes out to just hit things. This is one of the places I'm kind of stuck.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish (+Def, -Sp. Atk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

The standard defensive Gliscor. His 4x Fighting resistance covers Heatran, Scizor, and Scrafty, whom cannot handle opposing Fighters. Taunt and Ice Fang are used in tandem for Breloom and Whimiscott, while Taunt and Earthquake can possibly handle Ferrothorn. Or force them to switch out. Walls seem to be much easier to handle when there are less options form them to switch out on. Either way, Gliscor, along with Rotom-W, is very good at handling Pokemon that can give the rest of my team cannot handle.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate
108 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 148 Sp
Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is my other defensive pivot. it provides additional coverage and general bulk that helps me stabilize the game and prepare for the win. Bolt and Pump are his attacking options. Will-O-Wisp provides passive damage with the addition of weakening attackers so that Scrafty and Scizor have safer switch-ins. Pain Split is a bit of healing, and a bit of weakening. Interestingly, I've had some success with using Will-O and Pain Split against Blissey; the former keeps pressure on her and the latter keeps Rotom healthy, because of the massive difference in HP totals. It's not the be-all-end-all, but it gives me hope against an otherwise insurmountable force.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Shed Skin
252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Def
Impish (-Sp. Atk, +Def)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rest

Scrafty is the first half of my core win condition. It's physical bulk combined with Bulk Up, STAB Drain Punch, and Rest provide a threat that is an unstoppable force once it gains momentum. He's also my favorite Pokemon in the entire fifth generation. It switches in against a physical threat that can't do much against it, sets up, and cleans house. Once it gets going, and is repeatedly healing to full with OHKO Drain Punches, the game is almost always over. Ice Punch is for Gliscor, Flying-types, and Dragon-types. I've had a lot of success with it, as Gliscor is very popular, along with Haxorus, Dragonite, and the Lati's. Ice Punch is often my secret weapon, and a key to success.

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Sp
Timid (-Atk, +Sp)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Thunder

Latias is the other half of my one-two punch. Like Scrafty switches in on physical beaters, Latias switches in on special attackers. It sets up with Calm Mind, and cleans house with STAB Dragon Pulse. Recover is used for additional longevity so she can live the dream for as long as possible. And, again like Scrafty, she also has a secret weapon in the form of Thunder. Thunder hits Politoed (who's Drizzle makes it 100% accurate), Starmie, and Skarmory like a truck, and provides a neutral attack option against Heatran and Metagross.

Offensive Threats:

Aerodactyl - Suicide lead Aerodactyl gets a Superpower or Dance-boosted Bullet Punch. I haven't seen a non-lead Aerodactyl yet.
Archeops - Bullet Punch and hope for the best. That's all I've got to say, I'm afraid.
Azelf - Out bulk it, force it to Explode, etc. U-turn is nice in this situation. Scizor is good at poking at it until it keels over and gives up.
Bisharp - I haven't seen one yet. I'd imagine Super Power or Drain Punch could handle it, though.
Breloom - ICE FANG, ICE FANG, ICE FANG. If that doesn't work, I lose. Unless I got it into Bullet Punch range.
Chandelure - Dragon Pulse, Hydro Pump, Ice Punch. It's honestly another "fingers crossed" situation.
Cobalion - Heatran probably. Hopefully.
Conkeldurr - Burn it, Bolt it. Scrafty doesn't like switching in on this guy.
Darmanitan - Hydro Pump seems to work okay.
Deoxys-S - Lead DS gets a U-turn into Scrafty set-up. Should force a switch.
Dragonite - Ice Punch takes care of him usually.
Druddigon - Ice Punch. Next.
Eelektross - Gliscor looks good in this situation.
Electivire - Gliscor looks good here, too. Thunderbolt is useless, and Cross Chop is almost useless.
Emboar - Hydro Pump, most likely.
Empoleon - Thunderbolt, Thunder, or a Scrafty set-up.
Espeon - DO. NOT. USE. STEALTH. ROCK. I will learn that, eventually. Anyway, Scrafty and Latias can probably set up against it, or a U-turn.
Escavalier - Flamethrower or Superpower.
Excadrill - I don't know what to about this guy. He's.. unstoppable.
Garchomp - Isn't he banned?
Genesect - ..flamethrower?
Gengar - This guy makes me miss Cacturne. Sucker Punch destroyed him like nothing you've ever seen. Nowadays Rotom-W is my best bet.
Golurk - I don't know enough about him to give a definitive answer.
Gyarados - Bolt it!
Haxorus - Ice Punch, please and thank you.
Heatran - Kramer vs. Kramer 2: Heatran vs. Heatran
Heracross - Gliscor, please and thank you.
Hydreigon - Ice Punch?
Infernape - Rotom-W
Jirachi - Heatran, usually. Sometimes Scizor or Scrafty, if I have to improvise.
Jolteon - Hit it hard with whatever. It's not very tough. If I can't beat it now, I'll Bullet Punch it later.
Keldeo - Bolt, Thunder, etc.
Kingdra - Dragon Pulse, from whomever.
Krookodile - Scrafty or Rotom-W
Kyurem - Heatran can attack both of it's weaknesses.
Landorus - Ice Punch/Fang
Latios - Ice Punch
Lilligant - Lilligant is a threat? That's awesome. She's so cool! Anyway, Flamethrower or whatever.
Lucario - Burn it. If I know it has Aura Sphere, Latias.
Machamp - Kill it before it kills me.
Magnezone - Let it trap Scizor and surprise it with Superpower.
Mamoswine - Any number of things. Scrafty, Rotom, etc.
Meloetta-S &
Meloetta-V - I don't know which is which, and I've yet to see either, so I'm stumped.
Metagross - Flamethrower, Earthquake, or Thunder.
Mienshao - Rotom-W, with the possibility of Scrafty switch-in if I burn it.
Reuniclus - Hit it. I haven't figure this guy out yet.
Roserade - Flamethrower.
Salamence - Ice Punch
Sawsbuck - Scrafty
Scizor - Kill it with mine.
Scrafty - Scizor U-turn then revenge kill.
Seismitoad - Scrafty or Latias.
Serperior - Flamethrower?
Shaymin - Flamethrower?
Sigilyph - I've only seen one so far, and I stalled it with Scrafty until it killed itself with Struggle recoil.
Smeargle - Die to Spore. Unfortunately.
Starmie - Bolt it, or lose.
Terakion - Lose. Seriously. I can't beat Terrakion.
Thundurus - Can't beat Thundurus either. But that's why I'm posting this cry for help!
Togekiss - I always lose to Togekiss. But I'd imagine Thunder can take care of it. Problem is, I never actually get to use Thunder.
Tornadus - Ice Punch!
Tyranitar - Superpower!
Venusaur - Flamethrower!
Victini - Gosh. Pump it and hope for the best. V-Create is absurd.
Virizion - Flamethrower, or U-turn to revenge kill.
Volcarona - Kill it early with Rotom-W. If I can't, I lose.
Weavile - Hit it with Bullet Punch or something.
Zoroark - Superpower or Drain Punch, I'd imagine.

Defensive Threats:

Alomomola - Thunder.
Blissey - Like I described above, Rotom-W can wear her down enough to kill with Scizor.
Bronzong - Flamethrower.
Celebi - Flamethrower.
Chansey - I usually just hit it with things until it dies. Scizor and Scrafty typically just set-up and throw hands (or claws).
Deoxys-D - Haven't fought one yet. I'd imagine picking at it like Azelf could work, though.
Cofagrigus - Rotom-W, I'm thinking.
Crustle - Hit it with Fighting moves.
Dusclops - Rotom-W, and hope for the best.
Ferrothorn - Flamethrower, Earthquake, Ice Fang, etc. and a whole lot of praying.
Forretress - Same as Ferrothorn.
Garbodor - Earthquake, most likely.
Gigalith - Fighting moves.
Gliscor - Ice Punch!
Hippowdon - Ice Punch!
Jellicent - Thunder!
Latias - Ice Punch!
Mandibuzz - Ice Punch OR Thunder!
Murkrow - .. really? Uh. Thunder? U-turn?
Ninetales - Hydro Pump has worked so far.
Politoed - THUNDERTHUNDETHUNDER.
Porygon2 - Hit it with something until it dies. Preferably Scrafty.
Rotom-H - Hydro Pump seems to work.
Rotom-W - Thunderbolt or Thunder.
Scolipede - Flamethrower ought to be serviceable.
Skarmory - Thunder is my best bet.
Snorlax - Fighting moves!
Suicune - Electric moves!
Swampert - Hit it with something.
Tentacruel - Thunder(bolt)
Vaporeon - Thunder(bolt)
Whimsicott - I beat a Whimiscott once. It was back when I had Cacturne, and I managed to catch it with Encore and
lock it into something I could work with. Nowadays.. I dunno. Flamethower and hope for the best.
Xatu - Bolt it.
Zapdos - Ice Punch.

I'm sorry I'm so noobish and don't have much to say. But I'm trying my best, and learning with each battle.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

In your threat list you claim that you can't beat Terrakion and Thundurus. Well, you have super effective priority in Bullet Punch to OHKO it (with Scizor), while Gliscor does a fair job walling it. HP Ice versions can be a pain though, so you really have to be careful around it. Just don't let it set up. Another claim in your threat list is that you always lose against Thundurus. Well, here I can see a big threat. What you can do to get a counter to it is changing Rotom-W for Gastrodon. It will also help you with your Starmie problem, because it can pretty much wreck your whole team with Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Thunder. Here's the set you should use :

Gastrodon @ Leftovers / Calm / Storm Drain / 252 HP - 4 SpA - 252 SpD
Surf - Ice Beam/Hidden Power Electric - Toxic/Yawn - Recover

Also, for Heatran, a mixed version might be quite original, but Earth Power is greatly superior to Earthquake. Heatran's base special attack is simply too high compared with its pathetic base attack, so you really have to change this. You should also run a Timid or a Modest nature on offensive Heatran, because you want as much speed as you can have, or maximum power. Personnally I like Modest the most, since Heatran has a really bad speed tier, but I guess outspeeding Jolly Breloom is nice... You should also think about Fire Blast over Flamethrower. Fire Blast's accuracy is not bad, while not perfect, but the power boost is very noticeable.

My last suggestion would be taking out Rest on Scarfty for Crunch. While Rest provides "reliable" recovery, Drain Punch's side effect heals you too, which is awesome. Crunch has STAB and great coverage with Drain Punch. It's also your most powerful move.

Conkeldurr - Burn it, Bolt it. Scrafty doesn't like switching in on this guy.
Don't burn it. It has Guts. You'll lose if you do.

Changes made and duly noted.

Thank you, sir.

edit: Also, I went with Timid Heatran, but off-set the drop in power compared to Modest by upgrading Flamethrower to Fire Blast.

Why do you have Earthquake on Heatran? It should be Earthpower.
Also don't be afraid against Archeops, a bullet punch will OHKO, but if he's sash or some shit like that, his attack is lowered, so he won't hurt you that much.
By the way, you have 4 set up sweepers, having too many of those or choiced pokemon is never a good thing, I suggest changing latios to a choice specs variant. With trick, draco meteor, hidden power fire, and surf.
Good luck with the team, KOTR.

Well, Gliscor and Scizor can set-up and sweep, they usually do other things instead. Although, I'm not against the idea of Choice Specs. The problem with that it is makes it much easier for the opponent to switch in something to wall it, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having coverage. But, like I said, being able to just hit the ground running with her does have advantages as well. I'm not sure what I want to do here.

At any rate, thank you for posting and your support!

Well, Gliscor and Scizor can set-up and sweep, they usually do other things instead. Although, I'm not against the idea of Choice Specs. The problem with that it is makes it much easier for the opponent to switch in something to wall it, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having coverage. But, like I said, being able to just hit the ground running with her does have advantages as well. I'm not sure what I want to do here.

At any rate, thank you for posting and your support!
Having a scarfer/specs user is viable for when you have no chances to set up and your in a tight spot. I suggest you at LEAST, test latios out. Another great thing is that it can beat both bliss AND ferro, by tricking blissey, and can OHKO ferro, might take 2 hits in the rain though, tricking ferro is also an option if you want some free set up with your whopping 4 set up sweepers... damn... anyways I highly reccomend him.
Nice team overall.

Alright. I will. You have a really good point there, and I recall instances where I would have liked to be able to just attack without needing to set-up. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Choice-boosted Thunder should OHKO Politoed. Which is beautiful since Ice Beam is so popular.

Thank you again. It's alright, I guess, tbh. It's no #whatever anywhere, but I get to use Pokes I think are cool.

Alright. I will.

Thank you again. It's alright, I guess, tbh. It's no #whatever anywhere, but I get to use Pokes I think are cool.
Woah... you respond fast.. Anyways I suggest you test it out. if you are having problems, latios is a good thing to try.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi! This team is quite good although Rock Polish Landorus really gives you some problems. Balloon pokemon like your Heatran are a shaky check to it and it does massive amounts of damage to every member of this team. This is why Skarmory would probably be a good replacement for Scizor since it can take on Landorus and Excadrill easily. A set with Spikes | Roost | Brave Bird | Whilrwind would be your best option with an Impish nature. A good EV spread would be 252 HP | 216 Def | 16 Spe with the item choice of leftovers or shed shell. Volcarona gives this team some problems as well. After one quiver dance which is easily obtained on a few team members, your team is destroyed by it. Swapping Heatran to a more specially defensive variant would help this a bit. A set with Stealth Rocks | Lava Plume | Roar | Protect and an EV spread of 252 HP | 4 SpA | 252 SpD with a calm nature and leftovers would help as well. Latios gives you some problems as well. With Scizor removed, you have an even harder time checking it. Scarf Tyranitar would work very well over Gliscor. Between Latias, Skarmory, and Tyranitar fighting types are completely managed. Scarf Tyranitar also destroys Lati@s which really helps this team out. A set with Crunch | Pursuit | Superpower | Stone Edge would work very well while maximizing speed and attack with a jolly nature is pretty much your only option.

Besides that, this team is really solid. A few smaller changes could really make it do well though. If Latias is switched to the Calm Mind + Roar set, then you can abuse spikes provided by Skarmory even further and have a phazer. Latias is also an excellent cleaner later in the game. If you ran Calm Mind | Dragon Pulse | Recover | Roar then you could fully abuse spikes. Finally, you could probably bulk up Rotom-W so that it can handle threats such as Scizor way easier. An EV spread with 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 Spe and a Bold nature would do much better at handling Scizor.

Other than that, this team is solid. Good Luck.

Hi! This team is quite good although Rock Polish Landorus really gives you some problems. Balloon pokemon like your Heatran are a shaky check to it and it does massive amounts of damage to every member of this team. This is why Skarmory would probably be a good replacement for Scizor since it can take on Landorus and Excadrill easily. A set with Spikes | Roost | Brave Bird | Whilrwind would be your best option with an Impish nature. A good EV spread would be 252 HP | 216 Def | 16 Spe with the item choice of leftovers or shed shell. Volcarona gives this team some problems as well. After one quiver dance which is easily obtained on a few team members, your team is destroyed by it. Swapping Heatran to a more specially defensive variant would help this a bit. A set with Stealth Rocks | Lava Plume | Roar | Protect and an EV spread of 252 HP | 4 SpA | 252 SpD with a calm nature and leftovers would help as well. Latios gives you some problems as well. With Scizor removed, you have an even harder time checking it. Scarf Tyranitar would work very well over Gliscor. Between Latias, Skarmory, and Tyranitar fighting types are completely managed. Scarf Tyranitar also destroys Lati@s which really helps this team out. A set with Crunch | Pursuit | Superpower | Stone Edge would work very well while maximizing speed and attack with a jolly nature is pretty much your only option.

Besides that, this team is really solid. A few smaller changes could really make it do well though. If Latias is switched to the Calm Mind + Roar set, then you can abuse spikes provided by Skarmory even further and have a phazer. Latias is also an excellent cleaner later in the game. If you ran Calm Mind | Dragon Pulse | Recover | Roar then you coul fully abuse spikes. Finally, you could probably bulk up Rotom-W so that it can handle threats such as Scizor way easier. An EV spread with 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 Spe and a Bold nature would do much better at handling Scizor.

Other than that, this team is solid. Good Luck.
I'm resistant to changing out Scizor. His role on the team is very important.

I'll give the defensive Heatran a try, although I dunno what Protect is for. Or defensive Heatran. It'll be one or the other, not both. I don't two Roar and a Whirlwind.

I honestly don't like your suggestions at all. This team is meant to be offensive and you're suggesting I go the completely opposite direction by replacing three offensive guys with three defensive guys (whom all do the same thing).

I'm sorry, dude.

Well win some lose some. As long as folks are giving feedback. I personally recommend volt switch over tbolt on rotom. My reasoning being
you mentioned having succes against blissey and that is fantastic bc that durn
gumball needs to be taken down a notch. But with volt switch you could pester blissey a bit then switch to one of your sweepers while she's under WoW and pain split pressure to finish her off quicker

Well win some lose some. As long as folks are giving feedback. I personally recommend volt switch over tbolt on rotom. My reasoning being
you mentioned having succes against blissey and that is fantastic bc that durn
gumball needs to be taken down a notch. But with volt switch you could pester blissey a bit them switch to one of your sweepers while she's under WoW and pain split pressure to finish her off quicker
Is this a Llanowar Emissary I detect?

You my fine fellow are the first and only person to finally get my name! I'm glad someone
knew what it meant! Although judging from your Alara green white knight avatar I would assume your a Magic player! :D

:D

Indeed I am.

And I assume you are the only person I've met here so far that knew what KOTR is supposed to stand for.

Haha this is awesome! Lol but let's not forget we're here for pokemon not
magic lol.

I would also suggest hidden power ice over dragon pulse on heatran. Still kills dragons but also hits more than dragon pulse does with only dragons. I.e. Things like virizion and gliscor

Also I see your a little confused with heatran but to help you out trying using earth power and fire blast over eq and flamthrower. I of all ppl love flamthrower accuracy but fire blast just hits harder and in battle you need the better attack.

Yeah, Steeli already covered that.

The team has changed a lot. I'll get the updated version up tomorrow, once I've given a few things some thought.

I would suggest Chesto Berry on your scrafty instead of lefties.. Chesto wakes up your poke instantly and its like a free hp bar. (:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)