Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
QC: Nayrz, Fireburn
GP:

.makeawishfoundation

[OVERVIEW]

* Secondary Flying type allows it to check opposing Ground-types, most notably Primal Groudon.
* Abuses the potent Sheer Force + Life Orb combination, which negates Life Orb recoil and boosts Landorus's attacks immensely.
* Has great coverage options to compliment its ability, as well as access to Stealth Rock to further bolster its field presence.
*Compared to other offensive Pokemon it is just not as fast, lessening its overall utility as an attacker.
* Has a 4x weakness to Ice and poor 89 / 90 / 80 bulk, which makes it vulnerable to revenge killing.
* Landorus is greatly overshadowed by its Therian forme, which sports the ability Intimidate that allows it to soft check physical threats that regular Landorus cannot.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Rash / Naive
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earth Power receives a boost from Sheer Force, while importantly threatening Steel-types and also capable of 2HKOeing support Arceus when running a Rash Nature.
* Rock Slide is boosted by Sheer Force and is Landorus's best coverage option against Flying-types such as Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Yveltal.
* Stealth Rock offers utility, and can be set easily considering how often Landorus forces switches.
* Hidden Power Ice targets Mega Salamence and Rayquaza to prevent Landorus from becoming set up fodder.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment peaks Landorus's offensive potential to make the most of the Sheer Force + Life Orb combination.
* Rash nature is preferred because it gives Landorus a solid 91% chance to 2HKO 252 HP / 0 SpD support Arceus without any prior damage.
* Naive nature has its merits in allowing Landorus to outspeed up to positive natured 100 base Speed Pokemon, but the drop in power is noticeable.

Usage Tips
========

* Switch in opportunities are scarce because of Landorus's frailty, so make use of its immunities to Ground and Electric-type moves as well as double switching to get it into battle.
* Assessing trade-offs is important when using Landorus because although it may not be able to OHKO a foe that is threatening Landorus and its team, damaging it enough to benefit a teammate may be worth sacrificing Landorus to said foe.
* Predict if necessary because the opponent can switch in safely a Pokemon that is faster than Landorus using an immunity or resistance, and force Landorus out.
* In the same respect, two-punch support Arceus expecting Stealth Rock with Earth Power to remove the opponent's mode of hazard removal to allow Landorus and possibly a teammate to set hazards without concern of them being removed.
* If carrying Hidden Power Ice, use it sparingly because Life Orb recoil can erode Landorus's HP and prevent it from tanking certain moves it may need to, such as Primal Groudon's Stone Edge.

Team Options
========

* The reason to use regular Landorus over Landorus-Therian as a Stealth Rock setter on hazard-based offense is to KO support Arceus-formes on the switch with Earth Power and preventing Defog without resorting to Explosion; because of this, physical checks to subsidize the forme differences, such as Giratina-O, Primal Groudon, and Arceus-Water are good teammates.
* Dark-types such as Arceus-Dark and Yveltal handle Giratina-O, which walls Landorus.
* Mega Gengar can trap threats to Landorus such as Lugia, support Arceus, and Blissey.
* Additional Ground-types such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon share many checks with Landorus, and checks Primal Kyogre as well
* Staple-offensive Pokemon such as Geomancy Xerneas, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Mega Salamence all benefit from Landorus's wallbreaking prowess.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Focus Blast OHKOes Extreme Killer Arceus and Shuca Dialga, and has a chance to OHKO Ferrothorn with little prior damage.
* Explosion is a great choice if using Landorus on hazard-heavy teams in order to prevent Defog against a foe that cannot be OHKOed by one of its coverage moves.
* Knock Off can be used to annoy balanced teams by removing items, and also OHKOes Lunala after its Shadow Shield has been broken.
* Superpower can let Landorus muscle through Blissey, but physical Fighting-type coverage is suboptimal in Ubers.
* U-turn can gain momentum and lets Landorus function as a pivot, but this is better done by Landorus-Therian.
* Landorus has access to two boosting moves in Rock Polish and Calm Mind which can possibly allow Landorus to clean weakened offensive teams or break down defensive teams, respectively.
* Grass Knot heavily damages Primal Kyogre, Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Water, but nonetheless it can only 2HKO these threats which Earth Power already does.
* Gravity, although gimmicky, is a sure way to let Landorus damage Flying-types and Giratina-O with its Ground-type moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O is immune to Landorus's Ground STAB and cannot be 2HKOed by any of its coverage moves. Additionally, Giratina-O can retaliate with powerful attacks or get free turns on Landorus to use Defog.

**Lugia**: Lugia is very bulky; meanwhile, Landorus does not have any coverage options strong enough to power through it. Knock Off can annoy Lugia, though.

**Chansey & Blissey**: These two Pokemon have such high mixed bulk that they can switch into Landorus consistently and heal off any damage dealt. They are bothered by Knock Off, though, and Landorus is capable of carrying moves that deal with them.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory's typing alone grants an advantage over Landorus, and can set Spikes or use Defog against Landorus. It must be wary of Focus Blast, though.

**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre can tank any of Landorus's attacks and OHKO it with Ice Beam or Origin Pulse. Primal Kyogre must be careful switching in, though, as with hazard support Landorus can 2HKO even max HP variants with Earth Power.

**Arceus formes**: All formes and variants of Arceus pose a threat to Landorus with their combination of bulk, power, and possibly typing. For instance, Extreme Killer can set up Swords Dance against Landorus, and support Arceus often carry Ice Beam which OHKOes Landorus. However, Support Arceus formes must beware of switching into Earth Power, as it stands a good chance to 2HKO even without prior damage.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types are immune Earth Power and can snag opportunities to switch-in because of it. Yveltal can deal heavy damage to Landorus with its STAB attacks or use Roost to recover from Landorus's attacks. Arceus-Flying can set up Calm Mind on Landorus and use Recover to heal itself.

**Revenge killers**: Faster attackers such as Deoxys-Attack and Choice Scarf users prey upon Landorus's below average speed and can OHKO it with their coverage moves.

**Priority moves**: Priority moves from the likes of Arceus and Rayquaza can pick off a weakened Landorus with ExtremeSpeed before it can make a move.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If using SR + 3 attacks then I think HP Ice is mandatory. Explosion confers no useful benefit when you 2HKO 252 HP Arceus already and Giratina-O laughs at it, and aside from the chance to OHKO Xerneas after SR Sludge Wave is inferior to HP Ice. HP Ice is also useful for the odd Defog Mence. Explosion could go in OO since it does OHKO Blissey after SR which could be handy...

I don't think Knock Off merits anything more than OO, without Lati@s around and Lugia being much rarer than it already was in ORAS it's not going to be useful in most games. Lunala isn't too much of a problem since it can't switch into Earth Power well if Shadow Shield is broken. Knock Off does help a bit against Chansey (Landorus-I still can't beat it by itself after Knocking unless it also has Focus Blast) fwiw so do mention that.

Gravity can be mentioned in OO as a cheeky way to beat Flying-types and Giratina-O.

C&C needs to mention Chansey and Blissey as checks. Birds can probably be separated to Yveltal (won't die to Rock Slide) and Mega Salamence (offensive variants can kill Landorus before it has a chance to use HP Ice).

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Fireburn

I see. The idea of Explosion is to maintain momentum with your SR mon while stopping Defog to keep hazards in. This strategy refers back to XY when webs had some prevalence and such builds had to use SR+Taunt or SR+any self destruct move but this has application to any hazard stacking play style. Explosion is used less so for damage and more so to stop Defog and rapid spin.

If you are on board with this I can perhaps explain this better in the skeleton? Like, in team options explain why strong revenge killers such as scarf xerneas or yveltal are useful to follow up with offensive pressure in a scenario where Landorus uses Explosion on giratina or an Arceus to block a Defog. If not I can unslash Sludge wave and put it in moves, then move Explosion to OO. Knock off as well to OO

I will mention gravity in OO and add blobs to checks and counters. Also going to separate mence and yveltal out of flying-types category. What order should the mons in C&C be though?

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am aware of what Explosion does and how it can be useful, my point is that it is unnecessary since Landorus can 2HKO the most common Defoggers unboosted (support Arceus) and it doesn't really help that much against the one Defogger Landorus can't beat (Giratina-O). You'd be better off just trying to overload Giratina-O imo - Landorus-I isn't a suicide lead so there is somewhat less pressure towards pulling out every single stop to keep up the hazards, and there are ways around Giratina-O regardless. Explosion is better off in OO for this reason imo.

The current order of C&C looks fine, put blobs under Lugia and probably move Primal Kyogre above support Arceus.

sludge wave probably deserves a mention in oo for hitting fairies, notably it ohkos xern after a bit of prior damage and prevents it from setting up
i think naive is better than rash since outspeeding yveltal, lunala, solgaleo, rayquaza, max speed primals, exca, most support arc, and mence that only creep yveltal can be valuable, and still 2hkos support arceus formes after sr

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please add Dominatio's changes. I think you can get more creative with team options, but otherwise this is okay.

Implement these things and this is:

QC: 3/3

Due to lack of activity on your part and the time constraint left on our skeleton stages (2 weeks max), Fireburn and I have decided to reassign both Genesect and Landorus to ourselves to get them moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)