ORAS OU Larvesta is a Hero

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive

__
__

Hello everyone, Steven here. And today, I'm going to educate you all about the based lord that is Larvesta. Larvesta is a Pokemon that I love to use in NU, as down there it is an amazing answer to a variety of fighting types, as well as stuff like Sneasel. So, I decided to make this team in OU, as it fills a bunch of awesome niche rolls that I'll get into in the RMT. OU is definitely an incredibly balanced tier, but in general I find it to be one that is really centralized around certain team archetype builds, so I really enjoy being able to use new things in the tier. I feel there is definitely a lot of room for innovation when the standard meta is so predictable. In the end, I peaked around 1650 with this team on the OU ladder (I lost the puush, just trust. lol). It's definitely an incredibly fun team to use and one I hope to see on ladder.

This team started out like any other team in OU, with a Larvesta-Espeon core...
I wanted to build with Larvesta, and Espeon was the obvious best partner to build around. Not only does Espeon help to keep hazards off the field with Magic Bounce, but these two form an amazing momentum core with U-turn and Baton Pass respectively, so I went with it.

At this point, the core was somewhat weak to certain Pokemon like Latios, Starmie, Excadrill, and most importantly Keldeo, so Jellicent fit the bill. Jellicent really helps this team to pivot around annoying threats with its typing, and that's why it found its spot here so early, as I had an idea of what I wanted to do in my head.

Ah, the age old Burungeru-Gliscor core. At this point, I wanted a universal switch in to Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and Heatran. So Gliscor made a lot of sense. It allows me to pressure Heatran with EQ, helping to keep my side of the field clean, as well as being the best way for my team to handle balance squads.

I wanted a reliable win-condition that could handle stall, so I decided to run a very unique Mega-Pinsir set that will be revealed later in the RMT. Its typing allows me to have secondary checks to things like Serperior, which takes a lot of pressure off of Larvesta, as well as actually setting up on and abusing a lot of the weaker attackers in the tier. This Pokemon is severely underrated as not a lot of teams are prepared for Pinsir right now.

The team really struggled with certain threats like Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Talonflame. So I added Krookodile. It really works well with the team working as a defensive pivot, as well as giving me the Stealth Rocks every team needs. Finally, it also helps to scare Heatran, which is wonderful for this team, as Espeon struggles to beat it.

Larvesta @
| Flame Body
Relaxed | 248 HP/ 252 Def / 8Atk
Flamethrower
Will-o-Wisp
Morning Sun
U-Turn

I'm going to list some Pokemon that Larvesta can come in on and beat and/or burn.

Bisharp, Mega-Altaria, Mega-Lopunny, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Metagross, Mew, Jirachi, Kyurem-Black, Scizor, Weavile

Calcs:

Bisharp

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 138-164 (44 - 52.3%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO

Mega-Altaria

+5 252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 255-300 (81.4 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+5 252+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 256-302 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

168+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Larvesta: 93-111 (29.7 - 35.4%) -- 24.7% chance to 3HKO

Mega-Lopunny

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 118-141 (37.6 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega-Medicham

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 122-144 (38.9 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 151-178 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

Mega-Metagross

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 129-153 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 73-87 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- 78.2% chance to 4HKO

Mew

0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 49-58 (15.6 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO

Jirachi

0 Atk Jirachi Body Slam vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 43-51 (13.7 - 16.2%) -- possible 7HKO

252 Atk Jirachi Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 76-90 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 98.2% chance to 4HKO

Kyurem-Black

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Larvesta: 107-126 (34.1 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 107-126 (34.1 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Larvesta: 143-169 (45.6 - 53.9%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 121-144 (38.6 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Scizor

+2 252+ Atk Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 160-189 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 178-210 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Weavile

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 134-160 (42.8 - 51.1%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Larvesta has a ton of utility, being able to beat a wide variety of physical attackers quite easily, and spreading burn throughout the game. The EV spread is pretty simple, max physical bulk, which guarantees crucial 2HKOs become 3HKOs (Mega Metagross). Flame Body is an amazing ability. This team allows many opportunities for "free" burns. Lando-T obviously gonna click U-Turn? I'll take 5% damage for a 30% chance to burn. Azumarill gonna click Play Rough? 15% damage for a 30% burn chance? I'll take that. In addition, it can come in on things like Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (after Baton Passing out from Espeon), and net crucial burns on that Pokemon too. Flamethrower means that you beat Scizor and Ferrothorn 100% of the time 1v1. Will-O-Wisp spreads burn even more, putting a lot of pressure on the opposing team to stay healthy/let things take burn, which is always good. U-Turn grants easy momentum with a -Speed nature to have an even slower U-turn. This mon is highly underrated. There are several other Pokemon that it can switch in on and potentially burn (See Mega-Medicham that clicks Fake Out/HJK doesn't even 2HKO). This Pokemon is really cool to use, has incredibly unique defensive typing, is more based (and bulky) than defensive Volcarona, and forms a great pair with Espeon. Things that threaten Espeon (Bisharp for instance), can be Baton Passed out of and countered by this monster.

Larvesta is a hero.

Espeon @
| Magic Bounce
Bold | 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Baton Pass
Hidden Power [Ice]
Psyshock
Morning Sun

Espeon is an extremely crucial member of the team, as it's the only way for the team to prevent hazards from going up, and is the second part of the momentum core. Baton Pass is necessary on Espeon as you can avoid Pursuits, as well as keep momentum. The speed EVs allow Espeon to outspeed max speed Jolly Bisharp, so I can guarantee I avoid Pursuit, and go into Larvesta. This is also useful to outpace Mega-Metagross before it mega evolves. HP Ice helps to beat bulky Garchomp that would otherwise be a nuisance to the team, and gives me a way to beat Gliscor. Psyshock is STAB for STABs sake, and it helps with annoying mons like Mega Venusaur if things get dicey with Pinsir. In addition, you can never have too many Keldeo checks, as Jellicent won't always be available. Morning Sun is the best recovery option Espeon gets, so...yeah. Definitely a crucial member, and is a great Pokemon for pivoting with.

Jellicent @
| Water Absorb
Calm | 248 HP / 188 SpDef / 72 Spe
Scald
Taunt
Recover
Will-o-Wisp

As stated in the teambuilding section, Jellicent was added to basically add a good spin blocker against Starmie and Excadrill. As well as being the best counter in the game to Keldeo. A specially defensive spread allows me to beat Pokemon that would otherwise be troublesome, like Lati@s. The Speed EVs guarantee that I outspeed Azumarill, so I can get a fast burn on it, especially if it's the BD set. The speed also helps me to have a fast Taunt for things like Skarmory, slower Heatrans, Chansey, and Ferrothorn. Scald is mandatory STAB that helps the team's goal of spreading burn as rapidly as possible, and helps to whittle things like Lati@s, MegaVenusaur, and even Altaria. Taunt helps to keep hazards off my side of the field, and aids in breaking stall and stopping set up sweepers. Recover is the best reliable recovery in the game, so I have it, and Wisp also spreads burn when I need to.

Gliscor @
| Toxic Heal
Careful | 244 HP / 192 SpDef / 72 Spe
Swords Dance
Roost
Earthquake
Knock Off

Gliscor is an amazing Pokemon in the current OU metagame. With Swords Dance, it can not only function as a bulky switch in to a lot of annoying special attackers (and some physical attackers), it works as an amazing win condition against most balanced teams. The HP EVs hit a Toxic Heal number, and the speed outpaces Adamant Bisharp. The team desperately needed a more universal special switch in, particularly for Gengar/Lati@s/Heatran. So Gliscor was the obvious choice. The fact that it's a win condition is amazing for a team like mine that is more passive, as I can put pressure on my opponent with well timed plays. Earthquake is STAB that should be on every Gliscor. Knock Off was chosen specifically for Gengar, as it's a huge problem otherwise. Gliscor certainly deserves its place as one of OUs best Pokemon.

/

Pinsir @
| Hyper Cutter/Aerilate
Careful | 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Atk
Body Slam
Bulk Up
Rest
Sleep Talk

Cro-Pinsir. This set is actually really good. With respectable base 65 HP and 90 Spdef, Pinsir is fairly bulky on the special side and has the ability to set up on a lot of weaker special attackers and beat stall lacking Skarmory very easily as it beats Quagsire, Clefable, and Mega Sableye on its own. This was my Landorus-I counter when I made the team, and it still serves a lot of functions with Landorus-I gone. Since the goal of the set isn't to hit hard off the bat, Body Slam is used to potentially paralyze switch ins. Bulk Up adds to Pinsir's already ridiculous base 120 Def (the same HP and Def as Weezing) and become a potent threat as not much can break it. Really a cool Pokemon that works as an emergency check to a lot of things, especially since most teams are unprepared for any variant of Mega-Pinsir.

Calcs:

Talonflame
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 186-222 (55.8 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Landorus-T
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. +1 248 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 272-320 (81.6 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Krookodile @
| Intimidate
Impish | 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Stealth Rock
Knock Off
Earthquake
Toxic

Krookodile is the glue that holds the team together. Without its help, the team would get ruined by Tyranitar, Excadrill, and other SD attackers. Since I needed it so desperately, I'm running max/max HP and Def for sheer bulk. As a Stealth Rocker, Krookodile performs amazingly, finding many opportunities to get up hazards, as well as spread status to bulky things like Hippowdon. It can also take attacks from the likes of Thundurus and cripple it. Knock Off is used because it's Gen VI and you'd be a fool not too, same for Earthquake. Another cool, underrated Pokemon that should be used more.

- Really annoying as I usually can't prevent it from getting up rocks, main reason I've considered changing to Taunt Krookodile > Toxic

- Nasty Plot sets tear my team a new one as it's really difficult to pivot around, and nothing really wants to take a +2 anything

- Annoying as Espeon cannot beat it 1v1, so I have to predict attacks and BP into Gliscor accordingly

- Jellicent is the best answer, but if it carries Energy Ball/Shadow Ball, I've lost.

- Pivot around this monster, it does big damage to basically everything, gotta keep up rocks/be aggressive against it

- Really pressures the team with its coverage + speed, normally have to sacrifice 60% on Krookodile to beat it

aim - The only other person to use this team (he beat lords like FLCL and Scotti with it), so I'm interested to see his input.

fingerscrossed - an OU legend and fren that supports me when I say stupid things like "I want to build a team with Larvesta"

Dr. Zeni$ - For being a lord and a good person to boot. Hope you still get to come to the USA man.

scotti - For being the person who originally inspired me to innovate things in Gen V

Can-Eh-Dian - For pushing Larvesta in the NU chat

CanadianWifier - For being a god at MK8 and coming back to Pokemon anyway

iplaytennislol - For not building lord squads like this one

Kiyo - For defending this team as being good. n_n

QueenOfLuvdiscs - For calling this a lord squad

WECAMEASROMANS - For always being able to listen to my ideas about teambuilding

The rest of BOF.

Thanks for reading this! It was a really fun team to make and to use.
For some laughs: http://pastebin.com/mqnUMmN0

Importable:
Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- U-turn

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psyshock
- Morning Sun

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
nice team! n_n one thing tho, how do you get past Tornadus-T, outside of jellicent? been struggling with it.

This team is on a different level, honestly fuck everyone who doubts this team, its straight fire and made by a true lord! Truth a side, although this team has some really noticeable flaws like getting 6-0d by Kyurem, it still surprisingly works and has proven to have some success (I managed to get to peak 18th on the ladder with it and I would go further but I no lifed for 2 straight hours till 5am and cba playing any more). The only change I felt should be done while battling, is that maybe consider the use of Hp Fighting > Hp Ice on Espeon, as letting in Bisharp and kyurem for free is p annoying and being able to get some decent damage on them I felt would be nice in the games I played. That all I really had to contribute to the team, which is honestly so much fun, forces you to show how large your testicles are at all times by making big plays and its really creative which is something I fell this community has slowly lost over team. I honestly encourage you all to look at this team not from a competitive stand point as much, but from a creative one and realise that you can do shit differently and have success. Thats everything, good work Goomy, only known you for a bit now since our tutoring in nu, but you've instantly become a figure I admire and can relate to in this community.

Hp fighthing better in espeon
Fun team or not krookodile is really bad in OU metagame(but you can use thing like jellicent/espeon because you using fun team)

Hi, interesting team! As other people have mentioned, HP Fighting is better on Espeon here IMO, as having a way to get damage off on Heatran, TTar, Bisharp, etc is much appreciated for your team. I'm also not entirely sure what you gain out of running a max defense spread on this team, have you considered something similar to the following set?

Espeon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Yawn
- Morning Sun / Baton Pass / Dazzling Gleam / Grass Knot

This would give you a one-time answer to some of the setup sweepers you highlighted as threats and provide a bit more of an offensive presence, and sash is more forgiving if you predict wrong and switch into an attack expecting hazards, though the overall lack of longevity might suck since this is your only way of keeping hazards off the field.. Just some things to consider / try out I guess. If you weren't using such an innovative Pinsir set I'd probably recommend using Mega Sableye here, and then changing the rest of your team accordingly.

Also, I noticed most electric types seem almost impossible for you to face- Krookodile has no recovery and against any solid team with a Raikou, Thundurus, or Mega Manectric it's going to get worn down and then you're going to have a hard time. I'm going to suggest the following Hippowdon set in its place:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang / Toxic / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Pretty standard, but Ice Fang might be neat here as it lets you get decent damage on Gliscor, Garchomp, and Thundurus, which, as you said are otherwise pretty annoying for your team. Be wary that going this route does make you even weaker to Talonflame, especially taunt/SD + Wisp sets, so something like Stone Edge > Knock Off on Gliscor might be worth some consideration if you choose to go this route. Another Pokemon you could consider in this slot is Claydol. Having a secondary way of removing hazards would take a lot of pressure off of Espeon, and it can run Ice Beam to pick off some of those aforementioned threats. This would still leave you fairly weak to electrics and compound a pretty nasty Dark / Ghost weakness however, removing your only resist so it might require more adjustments to be made in your team.

That's all I can really think of right now, hope you're able to get something out of this. Good luck and keep posting cool teams :)

Last edited:
Under a little bit of further looking in, I can see Weavile being a BIG nuisance to your team if Larvesta dies too early. Krookodile can take an Icicle Crash, but it can't switch in. I can actually see Clefable fitting into Jellicent's slot. Clefable can help patch up the Weavile weakness to an extent as it can be 3HKO'd by a Life Orb Weavile's Icicle Crash while dealing with Lati@s & Keldeo. It can also be built to be 3HKO'd by LO Thundurus & Manaphy in the rain as well. Offensive Starmie will sting a bit more, however. Excadrill will also hurt a bit more, but Krookodile gets a boost in dealing with it thanks to Clefable's Wish support.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell / Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Knock Off

Low Kick on Krookodile as stated earlier will also help with Tyranitar (and Weavile that would tend to come in on the switch).

brokenwings I think if you wanna have him swap Krookodile for Hippowdon, 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SDef works better as it's able to sponge a Sun Boosted Solar Beam & Fire Blast.

Had fun watching this team in that tour you won, Steven. Hope all the critiques you got helped. :)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You should definitely consider running 68 Speed EVs on Pinsir. As it stands, you are currently outrun by Jolly Bisharp and Jolly Breloom; the former of which can boost alongside you (should it carry Swords Dance) or try flinch haxing with Iron Head, and the latter of which often carries Rock Tomb (to my knowledge).

THat's literally all I have to say because I don't play OU

Hi The Goomy, interesting team you gotta here.

I'm going to give you just a small advice as I think your team is really unique and changing too many things will make it very different, and eventually fix your current weaknesses but open it from other ones. Tbh the one thing I don't REALLY like of your team is relying just on your Espeon to prevent your opponent to setup SR when you have 2 mons that got a x4 weakness to them. Espeon also loses to some common SR setters like Tyranitar, Heatran and Ferrothorn and that isn't really cool, for this reason I'd use a Reflect Type Starmie instead of your Jellicent. Starmie lets you to Rapid Spin rocks in case your opponent manages to setup them (your current team almost loses as soon as your opponent does it), and with Reflect Type it lets you to beat some common SR setters like Ferrothorn and Tyranitar. Keep in mind tho that with Reflect Type Starmie you become weak to Sub Calm Mind Keldeo so yeah you might try Psyshock as well and just fish for the burn against Ferrothorn / Tyranitar (I'd use Reflect Type though tbh as Sub Calm Mind Keldeo is way less common now and you really need to beat those SR setters). Thats all I got to say about your team. Good luck with it, it's p interesting so props for having building it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)