Latios<3

I love latios. and with its introduction into the OU field I felt it gave him a changce to shine like the beautiful dragon it knows it is<3
This team is a tribute to latios.
The Team:

]
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Protect
-Roar
-Lava Plume
Obviously my lead. Sets up stealth rocks, protects, then roars away a setup on him. Lava Plume for the chance to burn. His acceptable bulk allows a generally safe setup of stealth rock. Leftovers helps survivability. Heatran has served as a noble lead

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Careful
Ev's: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Moves:
-Swords
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect
The run of the mill bulky swords Gliscor serves to take hits to many of Jirachi's counters. If he can set up he has potential to make a few potent kills. Protect is to recover some of the damage endured on the switch in and lengthen his survival as long as possible.

Latios @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
Ev's : 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
-Recover
-Hidden Power Fire
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
I have an undying love for latios that spawned from a chase almost as long as the chase that landed me my significant other. He has a beautiful 130 base SpA attack making him a beast on the offensive. His expert belt helps him with that boost he needs with super effective damage. I considered life orb but decided to use the expert belt for a little bit more longeity.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 112 HP / 252 SpA/ 144 Spe
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder Wave
-Pain Split
This Rotom-W adds to the teams core. This addition was suggested by BTzz to help take care of threats this team was faced with. Especially DD Garydos and Rain Sweeps
He replaces...

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
Ev's : 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves:
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Body Slam
-Cosmic Power
This Jirachi is supposed to be bulky the lack of investment in defenses is due to cosmic power. With one boost it reaches 360 and 2 over 500 in both defensive manners. With good prediction I can get 3 boosts which makes Jirachi a monster to deal with especially because of its multiple resistances. Iron Head is obviously to flinch the target more often than not, and body slam is almost as certain as thunder-wave to paralyze my foes. Jirachi is a good switch in on most of the weaknesses latios has. Not to mention their third gen friendship.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Ev's 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
This guy is here to poop on Landorus, Dragonite, Salamence, and anything else that doesn't like Jirachi and Latios. He likes to take out dragon pulsers, draco meteors, cloysters and the like with a stab earthquake. He has proved quite useful on this team and he's pretty good.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Ev's 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz
-Mach Punch
-U-turn
I felt as though infernape would be a good addition to this team and add useful coverage for this team of hooligans. I feel like a choice band would benefit infernapes play type. This is a good hit and run Pokemon. He has high powered moves and can switch out quickly. He provides himself good coverage with his Fighting-Ground-Bug set. Mach Punch takes care of SD terrakion and lucario. U-turn helps rid me of those pesky psychic types that infernape always hated. and switch into a good resistor like jirachi.

Overall this team has served me well and works better than I honestly expected in practice. I know that I am not a pro and there could be many improvements to this team and I am willing to hear all of them. Thank you in advance for any advice or constructive criticism on this team. Cheers!

Why does Infernape run a Hasty nature and does not carry a single Special Attack? Should be Jolly if you ask me. Also, what's with the 4 SpA investment in Jirachi?

I went ahead and changed infernape based on your recommendation. The investment on Jirachi was an accident it was meant to be SpD

Hey nice team. as a side note i once made a team based around Latias! as she is my favourite pokemon! anyway your team is looking pretty good but may i suggest Draco meteor over Dragon Pulse? the power you get for it is definatly worth switching out after the -2 SpA. Plus after stealthrock damage it would leave huge dents in your opponents team. Also have you ever tried E-Belt 4 attacks? i dont know if it would work better or not but you may want to at least try T-bolt over recover as you get the E-belt boost on waters and flying types. not much else i can say but nice team and although your team doesnt really need a rapid spinner with 2 steels 1 flying immune to poson and one air baloon poke. it is always and option. good luck and tweaking your team!

I think I will try that and report back. the recover has helped me before though and usually I have been able to 2hko any pokes that resist my fire/water attacks with dragon pulse. The utility from dragon pulse and lack of -2 SpA help him stay in and do more damage IMO. If the opponent has stealth rock up the damage isnt usually worth it for a switch into something potentially more dangerous. Infernape is usually just to take out 1 maybe 2 pokemon in revenge killing. Its not a huge deal if he gets poisoned. Toxic spikes have honestly been the only thing that gives me a little trouble but not enough to change the team because i've squeaked by every time. If this was a DW team I would change to thick fat on mamoswine.

Air Balloon on Mamo is useless. Change it to Life Orb or Choice Band. He's not weak to Earthquake anyway. On infernape, change Overheat to Stone Edge. You'll hit a lot more Pokemon namely Dragonite, Gyarados and Salamence. You're running Jolly Nature and having a Special Attack is weird. You already have Flare Blitz for a fire type move anyway. Change Mach Punch to Close Combat so you can spam a fighting type move that's
1. Not weak
2. Doesn't have any virtual drawbacks. Infernape will switch out a lot anyway so the defense drops don't matter and;
3. Something to beat Rock types who can wall your flare blitz.

That makes sense I will make those additions to the team thank you for the input and using the team more and more those seem like good ideas and I think I'll life orb mamoswine because he usually only has a few threats to take care of and can deal with the damage.

Nice Team, you have just to be perfect when you face a SB Cloyster, becuase only Jirachi can handle him...the others are all 1HKO all your Team :

-Heatran : Hydropump/Surf
-Gliscor : Icicle Spear
-Mamoswine : Icicle Spear/Hydropump/Surf
-Latios: Icicle Spear
-Infernape: Hydropump/Surf

So mine its not a Rating tip but a "play style typ" because i really can't advice you to replace someone without testing the Team , so : pay attention when you face a Cloyster!

Usually I end up roaring the cloyster when it smashes then switch to infernape when it switches and CC for the 1HKO

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team. Gyarados is a huge threat to this team, especially the SubDD variant which can freely set up on Infernape, -1 Jirachi, -1 Gliscor and Heatran. From there Latios is your best bet, but it can't even OHKO Gyarados as it gets worn down by rain-boosted Waterfalls or Bounce. I suggest using a Bulky Rotom-W over Jirachi. Jirachi doesn't seem like a great fit here, as Heatran checks everything Jirachi does bar Reuniclus, which can be dealt with using your offensive guys, and Rotom can provide paralysis support just like Jirachi. Rotom-W is a great check to any Gyarados, resisting its dual STABs and retaliating with a x4 se Thunderbolt. Rotom-W adds a lot to your defensive core of Heatran + Gliscor, helping out with threats such as EB Landorus. Rotom-W also gives Latios some backup against rain teams, which is useful as Latios gets 2HKOed by Specs Toed's Hydro Pump after SR.

SD Lucario and SD Rock Gem Terrakion will also give this team some trouble, as they can muscle past Gliscor with Ice Punch and +2, RG-boosted Stone Edge respectively. Using Mach Punch over Stone Edge on Infernape will allow you to clean up Terrakion and Lucario if they get past Gliscor. This leaves Infernape more vulnerable to Gyarados, but Rotom-W is an excellent check to it. Also consider using Taunt on Gliscor over Protect as you might find it difficult breaking though stall with only Mamoswine (Blissey /Chansey) are a staple on stall teams, so Latios won't help you). Gliscor with Taunt is a great answer to stall as Gliscor is immune to status, and is fast so it can Taunt stuff to prevent it from recovering or Leech Seeding. Lastly, you EVs could use some work. The Def EVs on Heatran and the SpD EVs on Gliscor are useless so move them to SpD and Def respectively. Gliscor should never be switching into Special attacks anyways. Heatran has the ability to switch into some physical attacks, but you have Gliscor and Rotom for that. Heatran needs to extra bulk, especially with the possible departure of Jirachi.

Rotom-W l Levitate l Leftovers
Modest | 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Thunderbolt | Hydro Pump | Thunder Wave | Pain Split

Hope this helps!

thank you for being so in depth it means a lot that you'd spend the time on this team. I appreciate your help and will make the necessary changes above

Aware of double post.
I was wondering if a better option instead of heatran is Metagross

Metagross@ White Herb (or Life Orb)
Ability: Clear Body
Ev's 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Hammer Arm
-Bullet Punch
Would this be an effective addition to the team or should I leave it as is?

Keep the heatran Metagross tho good isnt able to phaze pokemon away like heatran can making SR more useful then just putting them up and relying on your opponents sub-ins

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)