LC CCAT--I have to Axew a question (FINISHED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
36 HP / 40 Def / 80 SpA / 80 SpD / 240 Spe | Timid
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt

Okay, so my spread and Will-o-Wisp were unanimous throughout. The worrisome part was Taunt / Heal Bell! Well, Taunt won out over Heal Bell with a vote of 5-4. Thus, we shall use my spread, Will-o-Wisp, and Taunt on Misdreavus. Never fear...since Heal Bell was so close, I'll leave it slashed! But as the secondary slash, and we choose the last teammate keeping Taunt in mind.

Here is the team thus far:

Axew (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 68 HP / 220 Atk / 44 Def / 36 SDef / 140 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Chop
- Protect
- Outrage

Ponyta (F)
Jolly : Flame Body
36 HP / 156 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Sunny Day

move 1: Recover
move 2: Energy Ball
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Eviolite
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Calm
evs: 228 HP / 144 Def / 28 SpA / 64 SpD / 16 Spe

Timburr (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 236 SDef / 76 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SpA)
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Payback

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 40 Def / 80 SpA / 80 SDef / 240 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Taunt / Heal Bell

LET'S GET ON TO DISCUSSING THE FINAL MON. What do we look weak to? What can be patched up? What's a good glue Pokemon right now, that both fixes weaknesses and assists Axew in sweeping? Let's see!

We are nominating the FINAL POKEMON

I'm thinking chinchou with heal bell and volt switch, maybe my natu from before, i'll edit the post when i have more time(with all the work from school i barely had time for this...)

SANDSHREW INCOMING

Sandshrew (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 156 Def / 36 SDef / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Rest
- Rock Slide / Rest

This team gets mauled by any and every scraggy set. Our only scraggy check is also our status absorber, and since we have no way of getting rid of status(wink wink), it will rarely be healthy enough to check Scraggy, be a bulky offensive sweeper, and whatever the hell it does. We also have a Ponyta that is in desperate need of Rapid Spin support. Unfortunately, there aren't really any great Rapid Spinners that beat Scraggy, but we'll have to get over that. This EV spread that I've crafted is pretty standard: a little HP investment makes is good, a good amount of Attack investment lets you hit things hard(most notably Scraggy), and you want even defenses in every stat cause of Eviolite. This set gives us 23 / 26 / 16 defenses, for those who care. Rest is slashed next to the other two moves if you're a baller and use Heal Bell instead of Taunt on Misdreavus.

While I'm not a fan of slapping on mienfoo as a decent last team member, I think we can make an exception here as this mienfoo seems to fit the bill very nicely.

Mienfoo @eviolite
Regenerator, Impish
EVs: 156 Atk, 196 Def, 36 SpD, 76 Spe
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Drain Punch
-Payback

This is blarajan's (very good) sub-pass mienfoo set and actually found a slot on the previous CCAT when gligar was still around. But seriously though, in all my time of using axew, I can't say I've found a better partner for it than sub-pass mienfoo. While mienfoo can't spin like sandshrew, he is excellent at getting something in safely and also preserves the momentum and offensive pressure of the team. The spread also allows mienfoo to serve as an excellent scraggy check which timburr unfortunately cannot do with its specially defensive spread. Drain punch and payback are both standard fare, functioning as STAB and good coverage move.

To be honest, one SR weakness on the team is workable and I think our team would benefit more from a solid pivot than a spinner. Spikes might be a nuicanse for this team, but we have plenty of things to threaten the most common setters, dwebble and shelmet.

I would just like to point out that I"ve been using Sandshrew on one of my teams that I made with Raseri (cutemons4lyf) and it can't spin for shit.

I'm agreeing with Trakyan for suggesting a Volt Switch + Heal Bell Chinchou would be a good addition for this team considering you guys didn't want Heal Bell on Misdreavus. I'll post the set when I get home (as in the duo destruction set) tomorrow.

Chinchou (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 132 Def / 68 SAtk / 68 SDef / 220 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

To be completely honest, I'm not sure what Thunder Wave is doing on this set, but I couldn't think of another move. It can cripple opposing threats such as Snover and Mienfoo, while Scald is nice for the burn opportunity. Volt Switch is important, because now this team has a glue Pokemon that can switch in multiple times. Unfortunately, with no Wish passer on this team, once Chinchou is down, it's out, but I don't know if Rest Sleep Talk Heal Bell VSwitch is a good combo or not.

We cant use Chinchou unless we like losing to any team with a Scraggy. Our entire team gets whooped by hazards so if we're not using Sandshrew because it's not great then we better use Mienfoo because our team gets whooped by an and all Scraggy's. I would suggest Iron Defense Pineco but it's terrible...

There is simply no spinner that beats scraggy. We'll have to take either a spinner or a scraggy check and deal with the other problem when we've chosen all 6 mons.

I personally don't really think we need a spinner all too badly? I mean...we have a single Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, and it even has its own healing. Though, I do wholeheartedly agree we need a Scraggy check, and our team is looking a bit weak to smashers. IMO, the way to go is:

Croagunk (M) @ Eviolite Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SAtk / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Fake Out
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Drain Punch

Scraggy check, Tirtouga check, smasher check, Chinchou check, etc. The reason I chose this as opposed to Mienfoo is because it absorbs Toxic Spikes, which our team hates, aside from Timburr. Plus Croagunk's just really cute.

Ray Jay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am in favor of that Croagunk set, it rounds out our team nicely as blara said.

edit: chinchou croagunk same thing

Yeah Croagunk should probably be our last teammate. I don't like having 5 grounded pokes and a mon weak to Stealth Rock but Croagunk seems like it fixes a good number of problems. I would slash Sucker Punch with Fake Out, though.

Ray Jay

I think Fake Out is better in this scenario as we aren't hurting to beat Misdreavus and we have Shadow Ball anyways. It's not like our team is weak to Drifloon, either.

Uhh start voting I guess??????

Sandshrew

SubPass Mienfoo
Heal Bell Chinchou
Croagunk

Post your vote in bold, you know the drill! I've been seeing a lack of activity now while the CCAT is nearing its end...LET'S FIX THIS. After we choose the final teammate, we need to do some testing of the team to figure out its faults and how we can make it better. I need the entire community's help to make edits and suggest changes, so we can make this team the best it can be!

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
croagunk

we need to not instantly lose to omanyte (though shell smash / earth power / hydro pump / ice beam would sitll instantly win if either gunk or timbur die early on). also sandshrew is a horrible scraggy check cause it cant recover and doesnt actually have the resists needed to check it. i could make this sound much better but im tired, so craogunk fixes the team

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Croagunk is cute and I've used it constantly since We've Made It days, so I approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)