LC Player of the Week 22: fatty

fatty

Favorite Pokemon: Rhyperior
Most Used Pokemon: Archen
Known For: consistently ghosting for user blarajan​

Tell us a little about yourself.

ok well hello, i guess i'm not too particularly interesting but here ya go! i'm a 21 y/o senior attending the university of michigan - flint campus #flintlyfe. i'm currently studying health science with a focus in physical therapy, hoping to attend graduate pt school when i finish up here. i'm also the vice president of my fraternity here on campus, so there's that. i mostly just spend my time studying for class, chillin w/ bros and the gf, watching sports, gettin turnt, and playing mons. although i've kinda faded slightly away lately due to school / fraternity stuff keeping me extra busy, i really don't see myself peeling fully away for a while because i enjoy this shitty game too much.

How and when did you get your start in LC? Do you remember your first team?

hmmm i'd have to go back to my roots at serebii, where i got my start. i frequented the osl xat and became good buds with a user named skynet, who was p damn good back then in the dpp / early bw era. he kinda showed me the ropes in lc just so he could have a dude to test with, but i found that lc seemed to really gel with how i played mons so i got hooked. as for my first team, i was kinda learning late dpp lc and early bw lc at the same time, so i had two. dpp was some shitty snover hail thing, and bw was some anti-meta croagunk team with like gligar, houndour, frillish, and other crap.

What is your favorite aspect of LC?

my favorite thing about lc is the basic offensive nature it has. even semi-stall based teams, with mons filled with eviolite users and pokemon meant for more defensive purposes, can muscle their way through the most defensive of teams, which allows for bulkier teams to be abused without sacrificing the ability to go on the offensive. also, due to the fact that most prevo's share very similar traits with their evolved counterparts, it's fun to combine a lot of the cooler attributes from pokemon throughout each tier to create a metagame in which they are all accessible and fairly balanced out.

Most underrated thing in LC in your opinion?

honestly, it's not too underrated anymore as i've seen it used much more, but vullaby is a major threat in this metagame, and i'd even venture to say it's the best pokemon at the moment. with access to 16 atk, 15 spe, and great bulk, an offensively minded vullaby can literally punch a whole in any team. brave bird + knock off are two amazing stabs, one of which neuters anything trying to weather it's attacks, and when niether of those will work, u-turn helps to keep momentum. not to mention, as alluded to, it's defensive prowess still allows it to check a slew of threats within the metagame while maintaining the ability to outspeed and nuke most of the other defensive mons in the meta.

Most overrated thing in LC in your opinion?

i guess it just be my personal philosophy about lc, but i find trying to "innovate" in lc to be less rewarding than in most other tiers. don't get me wrong, there are some cool innovative mons / sets being used all the time and i will try something new quite a bit, but using "cool" mons just doesn't seem to consistently pan out as much as other tiers in my experience. call me boring, but lc is very top heavy, and you can spam the same cores / mons as much as you want with minor changes and there's not really much that's going to consistently threaten you when played well. the idea that you have to conform to metagame changes in lc with cool, new fangled sets is really not true when you have wonder mons like chinchou, mienfoo, and archen being so useful.

If you could change something about the current metagame, what would you change?

i don't think they're broken, i'll make that clear, but the recent suspect test really invigorated diglett / gothita use and it's annoying as fuck. you can play a perfect game, yet somehow diglett is going to trap something and it's going to make the match that much harder. they both suck enough outside of their trapping ability (bulk / power) to not prove game breaking, but it takes away from the metagame a bit in my opinion.

Are there certain LC players that you look up to or respect?

apart from my lc tutor skynet, there's a couple dudes i've grown to respect throughout the lc community. heysup was always someone i enjoyed fighting even though he's bad. i've always enjoyed building with blarajan / just talking about lc stuff, plus i've had some my best matches vs him. elevator music was always fun to play and had a good mind for lc. shouts out to al_. macle is a frog. vader is the shit.

Any advice for new LC players?

don't brainlessly copy so-called "standard" ev spreads that may be on-site or on calculators. first off, i don't know of any top-tier lc players that use them on a consistent basis, so basing calcs and other mons spreads off of those is risky. also, most of the time you'll be better off at just assessing your entire team and placing ev benchmarks based on what would be best for the entire team rather than that specific mon. the small window of ev benchmarks seems to make wiggle room very small, but trust me that moving a point from one place to another can make a huge difference. also, as i mentioned, don't be afraid to use standards. they're standards for a reason, and utilizing a team of the top 6 mons is perfectly fine, especially when trying to get a first hand look at the metagame, allowing you to see their strength and weaknesses.

as for the team i'll be sharing today, it's definitely a classic. i've used this team ever since murkrow got banned, and i still consider it my best team. it was made to utilize offensive vullaby's knack for blowing defensive cores up while being as anti-offense as possible. the result was kind of a pivoting bulky offensive team with back-up checks to almost every threat. there's also a lot of coverage options within the team, just to make breaking other bo cores easier.
Archen (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 24 Atk / 156 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Defog

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 188 Def / 148 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Bullet Seed
- Thunder Wave

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Timburr (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Chinchou (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 212 Def / 72 SpD / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Ice Beam

Abra (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
mm this was a about a couple months after my time but were you ever a part of team america on serebii, and if so did you enjoy it? fatty

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
lol yea i actually was and still sometimes talk to some old friends from that chat like blue harvest and d0nut.

Advice for a player which want to start LC ? i think teambuilding is one of the best part of the tier especially making your own spread.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hey fatty

1) When will you admit that I ghosted you ghosting blarajan to a perfect LC record in SPL 5?

2) Do you plan on signing up for SPL? If so what tier assuming there is no LC? Assuming there is LC?

3) Why did you choose the name fatty? I've always wondered, lol.

4) Gastly is objectively the best Pokemon in LC, yn?

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Advice for a player which want to start LC ? i think teambuilding is one of the best part of the tier especially making your own spread.
my biggest advice would be to just get some experience under your belt. even using one of the sample teams or something, just get on the ladder and get a feel for how the metagame is at the moment, the top mons you have to look out for, and certain strategies that might be anti-meta. from there, it's easy to build a core that will perform well, and the more experience you can get the better you'll get at thinking outside of the box when constructing your teams.

hey fatty

1) When will you admit that I ghosted you ghosting blarajan to a perfect LC record in SPL 5?

2) Do you plan on signing up for SPL? If so what tier assuming there is no LC? Assuming there is LC?

3) Why did you choose the name fatty? I've always wondered, lol.

4) Gastly is objectively the best Pokemon in LC, yn?
1. i thought this information would never come to light. my response is pics or it didn't happen.

2. yeah i do, as much as id like lc to be a part of spl, i'd also like to play either uu or dpp. there's a bunch of tiers i can play though so id just like to help a team out wherever.

3. lol well my old name on serebii was big beluga and i used to frequent the old pokebattlecenter site. there was a dude pokebitch there that would just call me fattywhalething, and it just got shortened to fatty and i stuck with it.

4. everyone knows that houndour is objectively the best lc pokemon there is. that or flail fletchling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)