LC Player of the Week 24: Cocnut

Coconut.
Favorite Pokemon: Remoraid
Most Used Pokemon: Archen
Known For: top-tier ghosting in LCPL​

Tell us a little about yourself.

Hello LC! My name is Coconut, lots of people call me Sherilyn or Sheri, so feel free to yourself. I am currently studying at Rowan University in Southern New Jersey as an Elementary Education Major with a Dual Major in English. I chose this field because I've always had a passion for helping people learn and grow and become better people. I am extremely nerdy as I grew up with a lot of older boy cousins, so I always had them to look up to. As a result, I grew a liking to things they like; the biggest one being video games. I was a quiet person, kept to my small group of friends. Then puberty hit; lot of people started talking to me that never did and I developed anxiety. That's about I realized it wasn't really normal for girls to like video games, and for the first time people were actually noticing me; so that part of me was hidden from a lot of my closest friends and even some of my extended family. When I got older and more mature, I just embraced it entirely and people either respected me for it, or I didn't talk to them at all. I'm honestly a huge nerd and absolutely love Shakespeare, Nintendo, Smash Bros, League of Legends and lots of other video games. I like all kinds of music and could talk about music for hours, but my favorite group is Weezer.

How and when did you get your start in LC? Do you remember your first team?

I first got my start in Little Cup when a friend of my showed me Smogon University. I lurked for a really, really long time, until I started playing on whatever battle simulator was being used at the time (it was somewhere in BW, pre BW2). I picked Little Cup for the most logical sense, that it had the cutest Pokemon. That was actually the whole reason, as much as a joke as it is now. I became instantly attached to it when I realized I was actually winning in LC instead of the other tiers. I also didn't enjoy how the tiers moved and shifted so much; LC was for the most part the same set of mons, and not having to worry about usage. My first LC team was a Sand team, build almost entirely off this thread. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sandstorm-in-little-cup.3455835 It was very, very standard, but it worked so well that I couldn't complain about the results. Ever so often I would take long breaks from LC, because I wasn't really too attached to the community. I decided I wanted to become part of the community seriously again was pre-Missy ban.

What is your favorite aspect of LC?

My favorite aspect of Little Cup has to be that they are level 5. This makes the stats more simplified and I hate math so I don't have to worry about speed creeping everything when I'd rather just take the 50/50. Jokes aside, it forces switches so you need to rely a TON more on teambuilding and having a check for options instead of going for the tie.

Most underrated thing in LC in your opinion?

I need to shoutout my fish friends for most underrated; Remoraid and Finneon. Remoraid has the best movepool in LC, without question, hits 17 speed, and can run an insane Scarf set, a strong Hustle set, or literally anything offensive option you want on this monster.

Next is Finneon, I'm going to share my personal favorite Finneon spread.

Finneon @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
Level: 5
EVs: 124 Atk / 148 Def / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Defog

This is my physical Finneon spread. I run Max Speed with Jolly to hit 17 speed. I then ran a significant amount in Defense to make it surprisingly tanky. I don't have any calcs with me on hand, but if you try out this set, I promise you won't be disappointed. Another common finneon usage, offensive wise is Scald/U-Turn. I opted for Waterfall/U-turn because I didn't want it to be mixed at first, but being allowed to invest fully in attack gave Finneon a surprising amount of damage. Tailwind support is very underused, but Finneon keeps momentum with it so well, coupling it with U-Turn. Defog is just the icing on the cake. While it may seem that this mon is entirely outclassed by the likes of vullaby; the combination of 17 speed, and not having 4MSS makes it an interesting alternate. Storm Drain is also nice.

Most overrated thing in LC in your opinion?

I really don't think anything is too overrated per se right now, but if I had to say something, stop trying to make Wingull work. Wingull is an absolutely awful mon that looks viable on paper, but in practice just sucks. It doesn't even get Hydro Pump and the fact that some people are really trying hard to make it work just upsets me because you can use actually useful things.

If you could change something about the current metagame, what would you change?

If I could change 1 thing in LC, I'd find a way to make the item selection more diverse. I guess this translates to an eviolite nerf, but I would rather buff other items instead of nerfing this one. I don't like how people say that Eviolite is the only item that you have to run in LC. There are quite a few options that you can run instead of Eviolite on practically every single mon that runs evio. I want there to be more options, even if there was only 1 or 2 more very viable items, that would satisfy me immensely.

Are there certain LC players that you look up to or respect?

I really don't want to shoutout every single user that I love, because I don't want it to be one of those posts. But there is no one in the community that idolize more than Ray Jay. Ray Jay sent me a PM suggesting that I, as a bit of a ladder hero, become more involved in the Little Cup community. This might not have seemed like much at the time, but it was a big deal to me. It was extremely well written, demanding respect, but also asking for my help to improve the LC community. I told him that I'd try, but I was still quite shy at the time, so I didn't do much at all. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be in the community at all. He also, when he ran the scrub team the "Tynamo Dynamos", drafted me and had a ton of confidence in me (and the rest of the team). Other shoutouts go to that scrub team, we really rocked it and showed people that the scrub team wasn't just a ton of awful players. Special shoutouts to Lego Fan Club, you guys rock, even though you put up with my shit way too often. Finally, I absolutely love all of the friends that I've made in the community here in LC and among the rest of the smogon community, you know who you all are. Thank you guys for being like a second family to me.

Any advice for new LC players?

To all new players: Feel free to ask for help! The Little Cup community is like a soft teddy bear, you just need to come and hug it. If you drop something in the Pokemon Showdown chat and no one responds, please don't get discouraged, we might just be busy. Try again in a little bit or PM someone on PS! or on Smogon. Myself, personally, I'd be happy to help anyone that needs any kind of help, even if it seems like a stupid question.

The team I'm sharing today was built for Fiend for some tournament, I don't really remember what it was exactly. Anyway, It's titled "Snovanha 2.0, Rise of ColdFish" It features my favorite defensive Snover set coupled with 4 attacks Special Carvahna. The rest of the team, while rather standard, is very effective. Diglett is running Stealth Rock and Memento with a Focus Sash, but it needs to be wary of the hail or it will lose the sash. With rocks on Diglett, I can run Defog on Archen. I opted for Earthquake instead of U-turn on Archen for more offensive pressure, but you can switch it if you so desire. Scarf Mienfoo as a wincon, Honedge as a general check-all that Snover doesn't.
Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 100 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Defog

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Snover @ Eviolite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 36 HP / 104 Atk / 140 Def / 104 SpA / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 9 HP / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Honedge @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Memento

More like CocoNERD haha
Whats your favorite Shakespeare play
Thoughts on the newest Weezer song

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
More like CocoNERD haha
Whats your favorite Shakespeare play
Thoughts on the newest Weezer song
If I had to choose, MacBeth because everyone dies. Hamlet is a close second though.

The new Weezer isn't really like their old stuff, but it's still really good. I like it.

EDIT: THE TEMPEST IS MY FAVORITE

Last edited:
what's a weezer?
when are we gonna hang out :(
favorite lfc meme?

Last edited:

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
what's a weezer?
when are we gonna hang out :(
facorite lfc meme?
Weezer is an American rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1992, currently consisting of Rivers Cuomo (lead vocals, lead guitar), Patrick Wilson (drums), Brian Bell (rhythm guitar, backing vocals, keyboards), and Scott Shriner (bass, backing vocals). The line-up has changed three times since its formation in 1992.[1] Weezer has sold 9.2 million albums in the US and over 17 million worldwide.

Christmas

I'm honestly not a huge fan or the Ice Beam Porygon or the LODOCOLODOLO one. My favorite one would have to be Melonz being referred to as Georgie. You all should call him that too, it's a term of endearment. There's honestly so many to choose from, I couldn't pick just one.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are there any Pokemon / sets that you just want to hype up? Your "Seedot / Snovanha" for example?

Any cool example BW teams that you would like to share?

How was your day?

Coconut

W
LC Leader
whats your favorite bible character?!?
is OP gay?
is oma gay?
umm, I thought Mark really hit the mark.
OP is not gay
oma is not gay, oma is gay

Are there any Pokemon / sets that you just want to hype up? Your "Seedot / Snovanha" for example?

Any cool example BW teams that you would like to share?

How was your day?

While I already sort of did that in the interview, I will share one set that absolutely monsters Abra and Pawniard; Life Orb Rock Smash Venipede.

Venipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 Atk / 44 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes
- Rock Smash

Protect allows it to outspeed Abra and tie with Scarf Pawniard. Pin Missile absolutely destroys Abra in two hits. Spikes or Toxic Spikes can be used based on the team composition, but I like Toxic Spikes because deep inside I'm a dirty, dirty stall player. Rock Smash and Hidden Power Fighting have the same rolls, so I take Rock Smash for the style points, but if for some ungodly reason you want to hit Ferroseed with this thing, by all means take Hidden Power Fighting. Rock Smash is a roll on Eviolite Pawn, but Scarf Pawn is OHKO'd without a question.

While I don't want to share any brand new teams, because BW is sometimes difficult to build for, you should check out the team that I made in Fiend's Multigen LC Sample Teams Thread. I dropped one of my favorite BW teams, "All BW Teams Are The Same." You can check it out here! http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/multigen-lc-sample-teams.3554452/#post-6499971

My day was great so far, thanks for asking!

any tips on improving in Cenamons?
While Cenamons isn't my personal metagame, the best way to improve it would be to force more people to play it spread the team so it becomes more available to outsiders of the tier.

Why.
But jokes aside, does the extra power on u-turn make up for waterfall>scald, or is there a personal preference to it. Some calcs would be nice (Yes I know you addressed it but I'm not sure where to start as I don't have any experience with your set or how you made it).
btw I should totally be on the list of people you respect, I daily offer you constructive criticism as a means of improving yourself and by the looks of it it has been working ;).

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why.
But jokes aside, does the extra power on u-turn make up for waterfall>scald, or is there a personal preference to it. Some calcs would be nice (Yes I know you addressed it but I'm not sure where to start as I don't have any experience with your set or how you made it).
btw I should totally be on the list of people you respect, I daily offer you constructive criticism as a means of improving yourself and by the looks of it it has been working ;).
lol

Opinions on Levi potentially quitting?

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
coconut how does it feel being the best lc user from the worst tristate area state?
coconut thoughts on the 2016 U.S presidential election?
coconut if there was confirmed a God, what price would a perfectly competitive market settle at for 30 min of direct interface with our Maker and why?
coconut best and worst user on splc Tynamo's Dynamos?
coconut what is the most gorgeous play in little cup?
coconut what is your favorite English language quirk?
coconut do you user: Melonz would be more rattled by me calling him "WaterlessMelon" while playing lacrosse vs. or me referring to him as "little gerogie" exclusively in smogtours chat during his SPL debut in 3 years?

Last edited:

Coconut

W
LC Leader
What is lego fan club WORST meme?
The good memes don't catch on, but people trying to force memes doesn't make them memes.

coconut how does it feel being the best lc user from the worst tristate area state?
coconut thoughts on the 2016 U.S presidential election?
coconut if there was confirmed a God, what price would a perfectly competitive market settle at for 30 min of direct interface with our Maker and why?
coconut best and worst user on splc Tynamo's Dynamos?
coconut what is the most gorgeous play in little cup?
coconut what is your favorite English language quirk?
coconut do you user: Melonz would be more rattled by me calling him "WaterlessMelon" while playing lacrosse vs. or me referring to him as "little gerogie" exclusively in smogtours chat during his SPL debut in 3 years?
Is there really much competition?

Pass

It wouldn't exactly work like that. If there was a confirmed God, he would decide how much you paid and for how long you would be with him

Best: Ray Jay Worst: Me

Dodging Explosion with Sand Veil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_linguistic_example_sentences#Lexical_ambiguity Anything on this list.

He would be extremely rattled in person if anyone called him WaterlessMelon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)