Other Metagames Legacy [A Monotype Ground Team] (Peaked 1700 ELO)

Hey, this is Stun, with a team that means a lot to me, and that I've kept secret for a long time. This is considered to be my main team that I hold near and dear to my heart. A lot of the teambuilding was done back some time in March-April of last year, and it's had outstanding success on the ladder at the time. The aim behind it was to create a fun and ungeneric ground team, due to the same 6 mons being used on every Ground team at the time--I was sick of the lack of variety, and having the same exact team as everyone else (Here's evidence of how bad it got, unfortunately the images wouldn't pull up with the site I was using to pull that page up, however the %'s did). So with that in mind, and after a long time testing different sets, mons, and entire layouts, this was the eventual product I came up with. It managed to win a Core Challenge, peaking 1653 ELO (which at the time was #6 on the ladder). After that, during talk about banning Smooth Rock (which does eventually happen), it managed to go 21-0 on an alt (w/o Smooth Rock while it was still allowed), and that same alt managed to gain around 88 gxe (that I do not have hard evidence for, but here's some proof for talk of it). Now, after a long hiatus, it's managed to surpass its original peak with the same core it won coming back, now climbing to 1700. Since then, not a lot has changed, besides having to adjust Hippowdon due to Smooth Rock's eventual ban, and swapping Gastrodon out for Seismitoad. Without further ado, I would like to present to you my greatest feat, that is known as my Legacy.

(Nicknames as well as Custom EV Spreads are included, I highly recommend taking the time to read through how everything works before you take the importable and begin playing with it.)

Gloria Extrasand (Hippowdon) @ Eject Button

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 92 Def / 240 SpD OR 248 HP / 4 Atk / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Hippowdon is arguably the best mon to have on Ground Teams, being able to automatically summon sand (supporting Excadrill and usually Mega Garchomp), its a great Defensive Wall with the movepull to back up that claim, and it's probably the best lead in general. Specially Defensive Hippo may be strange, but, hear me out. This gives it outstanding mixed bulk, being able to take attacks from both sides, and generally last longer so that I'll have sandstorm at my disposal for the entirety of a match. Eject Button allows me to keep momentum/salvage my time for sandstorm once, usually to give Exadrill 1 free switchin without having to take damage. Don't underestimate this things special bulk, it'll surprise you how much it can actually tank. In general though, this set allows me to set up SR as my hazards for a match (majority of times unless I'm against a type that is weak to SR, I won't even set up for a match, and just be around occasionally to set up sand/sponge damage). Whirlwind allows me to phaze any serious boosting threats out, alieviating them temporarily.

The nickname for it came up from spoofing Gloria Estefan, with Extrasand sounding similar to it. A previous nickname it had was "Adam Sandler."

Billy Bob (Seismitoad) @ Choice Specs

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb

Seismitoad was my choice for a water absorber, due to having a more offensive presence as opposed to Gastrodon. This was the only mon that was changed from the original team; before it was added, I was running a Yawn Gastrodon set. Anyways, with Choice Specs, its Special Attack is boosted to much more usable levels, insuring some important 2KO's OHKO's I lacked with running Assault Vest. Otherwise, this is the generic set, but the reason I run Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave is because your only sacrificing 5 base power for a 30% chance to poison, why wouldn't you take it? (Plus with Choice Specs its powerful enough as it is). The evs allow it to creep 164 speed invested Azumarills, being able to fully check it majority of the time.

I came up with Seismitoad's nickname because I wanted a red-neck sounding name, simply enough. So, Billy Bob was born.

Heavy Mama (Mamoswine) @ Choice Band

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Mamoswine is usually that slot on Ground Teams nowadays that's replaced the most with other mons, such as Garchomp, Krookodile, Gliscor, Diggersby, ect. I personally hate replacing it, because 1, it provides inevitable coverage against Grass, Dragon, and Flying Teams, 2, it provides me with priority (and a great 1 at that, often being 4x effective against a lot of common mons in the metagame), 3, Superpower is godsent, and with a Choice Band, I land a 2KO on Porygon2, and often an OHKO on Chansey, and lastly, Thick Fat gives me a reliable ice switchin, being resistant to the type thanks to it. Mamoswine in general is a great mon on Ground Teams, and here I gave it the role of being a Physical Wallbreaker. It's moves are also self explanatory, but the reason I prefer Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash is because it's a multi-hitting attack (so it can break through subs of very annoying mons, and be able to continuously damage the likes of Whimsicott, Gliscor, ect.), and it has 100% accuracy. After 4 hits, you've already done more damage than you would of with Icicle Crash anyways. The EV spread allowes it to creep Adamant Bisharp, and more importantly Breloom. You honestly could run Jolly to outspeed them 100% of the time, but I prefer the attack rising nature because my attack stat is further multiplied with the Choice Band slapped on it.

This is probably the longest lingering nickname, along with Landorus's, being around before I even made this team. It was simply a silly name for the biggest, most powerful Mama around, and I felt it was suitable.

Muffin Top (Camerupt-Mega) @ Cameruptite

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp

This is probably the best part of this team, Mega Camerupt. On paper, it's an exceptional mega to have on a Ground Team, being only 1 of 2 Special Wallbreakers available (the other being the infamous Landorus-I). It's part fire typing allows it to cover Grass, Ice, Steel, and Bug (The 1st 2 proving to be notable threats). It also acts as a great WoW absorber for the team, allowing it to easily switch into Mew, Mega Sableye, and then some. However, there are some important reasons as to why Mega Garchomp is used a lot more. It's speed is very underwhelming, so most of the time it'll have to tank damage before it can land attacks. Not only that, but it has a 4x weakness to water, which Ground already struggles with enough, so in matches like that, and a couple others, it'll have to be your sack. That does not mean though its not usable, its actually excellent if you can bypass those facts. The moveset is a little funky, so lemmie explain everything. Fire Blast and EP are your STABs, being able to fire heavy loads of damage onto some of the bulkiest walls (not counting Chansey, of course). The reason I run Rock Slide over Ancient Power (even though the miss can be annoying, I swear even Stone Edge hits more than this I feel) is mostly because I wanted a guaranteed OHKO on Volcarona, no matter how many times its Quiver Danced, and not to mention its a pretty decent mixed attack. Will-O-Wisp allows me to take advantage of its cruddy defensive typing, luring in a lot of threatening physical threats, Gyarados and Azumarill especially, and burn them on switchin. The EVS allow it to creep 8 speed invested base 30s, consisting of Slowbro and Ferrothorn (if they weren't fast enough already...), and a Rash Nature doesn't lower Camerupt's Attack Stat, at the cost of an ever-so-slightly lowered Special Defense.

Camerupt's nickname took a while to come up with originally. Then one day I thought about delicious Chocolate Muffins, and thought it fit nicely as an iconic trademark. Burning Hot Muffins hurt, a lot, he's no exception.

Max (Excadrill) @ Choice Band

Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Excadrill is 1 of 2 Sweepers this team has. Under Sandstorm, he outpaces almost all mons in the metagame, and reigns terror amongst the hearts of everyone. Here I'm running Choice Band over LO, because I tend to switchin into weak attacks, and I hate it getting worn down quick. The moveset is another one that's pretty easy to assume, but, I have X-Scissor over Rapid Spin mostly because, this is a Ground Team, Ground Teams almost never have problems with Hazards (except Spikes, which lately has declined a bit in usage)! Plus, I can check the biggest nightmare of all Ground Teams, Ludicolo (assuming rain isn't up). It also gives me a great super effective attack against Psychic mons, Slowbro and Latios especially who often prove to be very troublesome. Excadrill is just an amazing mon in short, there's not a lot more to be said about it.

Excadrill's nickname is actually short for "MAXIMUM Intensity," something an old friend of mine would often joke about. After a while, I just shortened it to Max. It's strange, I often like to name my best sweepers in each team with first names that sound epic, or heroic, or brave. Ex: Nigel, The Rapist (not exactly a 1st name, but it suited my wants), ect.

Mucho Gusto (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This was my chocie for a secondary sweeper, so I can have something reliable in my back pocket in case Excadrill gets taken out early, or sand isn't available to me. Intimidate is an extremely useful tool. allowing me to switchin easy to a lot of physical attackers, and let me keep momentum. It cores great with Mega Camerupt and Seismitoad, forming a nice triangle of resistance/neutral switchins for each other. Knock Off is a very useful utility move to have, especially for rendering certain threats a lot more manageable to handle, and it gives me a surprisingly useful Dark coverage attack. Otherwise, to be honest the rest for him is self explanatory, other than he provides me with an obligatory Mega Charizard Y check, eases fighting matchups a bit, and in general provides me with more speed while keeping the Bulky-Offensive feel of the team. He's definatley the glue, keeping everyone together.

Landorus's nickname is another lingering one. Mucho Gusto sounded masculine and muscular, so why not give it to a flying Ground-Genie. Ironically, it means pleasure in Spanish (I've never taken that class, so excuse my stupidity there), but, it fits since its a guilty pleasure at that.

Threats
Water Teams, especially Swift Swim ones, are extremely challenging to face. Especially with no Mega Garchomp, I lose to this the most. The best you can do is save Seismitoad for as long as you can, since it can absorb its STABs, and threaten them with Grass Knot. Also be sure to save Landorus and Excadrill for as long as possible (and Hippowdon at that), so you can attempt to sweep as much as possible. In general though, just be really on your toes for that 1.

This mon is just annoying. How I usually deal with it is have Landorus lead against it, get the intimidate off, and U-Turn out (which is usually a 2KO with sandstorm up). Then I'd sack someone to Spore or Bullet Seed (often Hippowdon or Seismitoad), and send Landorus in again to finish it and get its attack way down.

Combined with unexpected bulk, speed, and a deadly movepull, this can often be a hassle to get around. Your best bet is to either have Excadrill get into it safely and OHKO it, if not, send Landorus in on a Secret Sword/HP Grass, and 2KO.

This guy on flying can often be excruciating to face if it has already boosted. Usually either Excadrill or Landorus can take care of it if it's only at +1 (since most do not run max speed). On switchin though, Camerupt can often WoW it and make it much easier to handle.

Charizard is a mon that I consider a lot a threat that must always be checked on almost all of my teams. Coupled with a good speed tier, threatening offensive attacks (Fire Blast and Solar Beam in particular), and Drought (which deactivates sandstorm), its understandable as to why I'm often scared facing this thing. Landorus is my primary check, being able to OHKO with Stone Edge, however, Camerupt can often check it on emergency (but I normally don't like to get it super worn down).

The immunity to ground can be pretty annoying, along with the exceptional speed tier, and finicky coverage attacks. Landorus and Excadrill however, can usually handle this, just be careful especially if it has Surf.

Kyurem is a challenge, especially predicting its set. If it's scarf, that's typically easy to take care of, since you can quickly send in someone to sponge an attack, and it'll be locked to it. LO however if a different story, and it has the ability to at least 2KO everyone on the team, Exadrill however can check it, and on both types its on it's hard to switch into. On dragon though, it'll usually come in on Mamo to take an ice attack, so be mindful of that.

With a defensive spread, it's hard to 2KO at times, and with an offensive spread, it can easily 2KO Excadrill, it's no wonder why this is so threatening. Excadrill and Camerupt are your best ways of dealing with it, but it's good to note that under sand, Synthesis only heals 1/3 of its HP as opposed to 1/2.

As for major things to worry about, that's it, other threats are much easier to adapt to.

Conclusion
This is the best team I've ever made, and I have a lot of pride behind the accomplishments it's had as time went on. After nearly a year, I thought it was time to retire it, and with the same Core Challenge that got it its notoriety coming back, I thought this would be the perfect time to do so. Thanks for reading through this RMT, and I hope you enjoy stealing my team using it for yourself. It's broken almost all of my expectations, and gave my favorite type a bit of blossom and more joy to use and main. As always, suggestions are appreciated (even though I'm pretty confident in where this team stands), and, yea, thanks!

Gloria Extrasand (Hippowdon) @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 92 Def / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Billy Bob (Seismitoad) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb

Heavy Mama (Mamoswine) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Muffin Top (Camerupt-Mega) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp

Max (Excadrill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Mucho Gusto (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

scpinion you are an amazing RO, and I'm so thankful that we have someone like you. You're extremely personable, and even when I'm not in the best of moods, you always encourage me to set a great example to others, and be willing to help any any way, shape, or form I can.

Acast you totally deserved getting RO, you also do a lot for the community, and you're just in general a great person. Keep up the great work man.

ArkenCiel great friend, helped me out in hosting LTLC, and you often help me teambuild and test teams. I'm very thankful to get to know someone like you.

Anttya you're also a great friend, and I love that your always so quirky and in a great mood. You hax is a different story though.

Snowyyy I have so many friends lol. You're always fun to meme, and I love being apart of the tutoring program. You as well are great to talk to.

average fella I know your promotion was controversial at first, but, I knew you'd do a good job. You've been a good friend to me, and helping me test teams/give me creative and silly ideas (Webs flying FTW).

iVid you're a very knowledgeable user, I have fun watching you ladder (especially for core challenges!). Grats on voice, I was curious why they didn't promote you sooner lol.

Tylacto Astounding electric user, and great friend to have. I'm so glad you got promoted as well!

Gentleman Tech He felt it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-329588131

GodChef OP Poison user, and a great person.

Dream Eater Gengar Happy Birthday! Here's your present from me to you! Anyways, another great user, does a lot in and outside of the Monotype Community, your poems rock, and your name is the biggest meme :_)

KGBeast This guy cut the challenge extremely close for me, with a fantastic 88 GXE, and less than 10 ELO away from where I peaked, that's unbelievable, hell, you scared the living shit out of me You even got ahead of me once the challenge ended, like, sheesh xD). Jokes aside, you've come along way, great ground user, great friend.

ElectricApples whatever you do....don't fuck up.

JoltsOfEnergy Amazing player, and a great friend. Keep my #1 spot in the draft league warm for me. #Merciless

Ticktick Awesome friend, great pal to ladder with, talk to about teambuilding. Good luck cteaming in MPL, you'll do great bro!

Vicious spell had to save the best for last. Almost always accompanied me when I've laddered, had to deal with my rage over hax/ridiculous losses, and a best friend to me. I just wanna give you the biggest thank you for believing in me in my lowest, and just in general, being a great friend. I know both of us have had some hard times, and we've both supported each other through the good, bad, and worst. Thank you so much dude.

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey, dude! Pretty standard looking team. Here are some suggestions.
Firstly, on Hippowdon, I understand your need for running spdef investments but that's a bit too much. The spread I would recommend (if you really feel the need for spdef bulk) is 252 HP / 142 Def / 114 Spdef which takes 2 of ANY form of standard HP Ice.
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 176 HP / 114+ SpD Hippowdon: 174-205 (43.3 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
while also living +1 gyarados's waterfall (which is a huge threat)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 142+ Def Hippowdon: 344-408 (81.9 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO at the same time, allowing you to whirlwind it out.
Second, I would change excadrill to Rapid Spin > X Scissor because x scissor doesn't stray too far from exca's strongest stab move, eq, anyways. What I've noticed from playing ground is that hazards stacking actually could get extremely tedious and exca doesn't exactly need another attacking move anyways.
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, excadrill is already a 2ohko including sand and rocks vs slowbro regardless.
A minor change you could do is change Landorus Therian to jolly because the extra speed seems more useful on a scarf mon.

Hey, dude! Pretty standard looking team. Here are some suggestions.
Firstly, on Hippowdon, I understand your need for running spdef investments but that's a bit too much. The spread I would recommend (if you really feel the need for spdef bulk) is 252 HP / 142 Def / 114 Spdef which takes 2 of ANY form of standard HP Ice.
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 176 HP / 114+ SpD Hippowdon: 174-205 (43.3 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
while also living +1 gyarados's waterfall (which is a huge threat)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 142+ Def Hippowdon: 344-408 (81.9 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO at the same time, allowing you to whirlwind it out.
Second, I would change excadrill to Rapid Spin > X Scissor because x scissor doesn't stray too far from exca's strongest stab move, eq, anyways. What I've noticed from playing ground is that hazards stacking actually could get extremely tedious and exca doesn't exactly need another attacking move anyways.
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, excadrill is already a 2ohko including sand and rocks vs slowbro regardless.
A minor change you could do is change Landorus Therian to jolly because the extra speed seems more useful on a scarf mon.
Thnx a bunch lax. The hippo suggestion us usually what I reccomend, but I kinda wanted it's bulk more sp def than normal, so it can survive more attacks from the special side, not just hp ice (a good ex is LO Draco Meteor Latios, or Grass Knot Thundy I). And it's defense is still pretty good otherwise.

As for Exca, yea ground can be susceptible, but for steel, they usually carry doublade, so I don't see a reason to. As for grass, the most they can probs do is set up sr with cradily and maybe 1 spike layer w/ Ferrothorn if they're lucky, since mega camel puts a lot of pressure as it is. Me personally I find the extra coverage much more useful *especially for ludicolo and latios.

Thanks again tho, I apreciate it.

Cell

Birth By Sleep
MPL Champion
Hey, nice team there. Here's a few changed I'd make to it.
1. With Seismitoad I'd add a bit more speed to it to creep Jolly variants of Crawdaunt which could pose a threat if set up.
Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb

2. I'd change Camerupt to Modest nature since it still allows you to get the ko on zard and volc without losing any bulk.

Other than that the teams looks fine. Hope the suggestions helped and good luck with the team!

Hey, nice team there. Here's a few changed I'd make to it.
1. With Seismitoad I'd add a bit more speed to it to creep Jolly variants of Crawdaunt which could pose a threat if set up.
Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb

2. I'd change Camerupt to Modest nature since it still allows you to get the ko on zard and volc without losing any bulk.

Other than that the teams looks fine. Hope the suggestions helped and good luck with the team!
Thanks cell. Jolly Crawdaunt is fairly rare, but I can probably do it to outspeed max speed Azumarill as well lol. Idk I may give it a whirl.

As for the modest suggestion, idk that personally doesn't sit well with me personally considering rock slide would be weaker.

I apreciate the suggestions though, thanks man

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Yeah GONNA steal this. Tis one of the best post smooth rock ground teams gj bro im not gonna rate since whatever I say won't help that much or elaborate on already made points.

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
was just looking at this interesting team but 4 choiced pokemon leaves u a bit prob to set up sweepers imo. might want to try double dance lando and maybe life orb freeze dry mamo for extra help on those bulky waters.

was just looking at this interesting team but 4 choiced pokemon leaves u a bit prob to set up sweepers imo. might want to try double dance lando and maybe life orb freeze dry mamo for extra help on those bulky waters.
I've actually tried Double Dance Landorus numerously. I love that set to bits, but the sole reason I ended up sticking with Choice Scarf is because Mega Charizard Y does threaten the team without Garchomp, he is my most reliable check to it. On teams where I do have a different scarfer/run Garchomp (I've found LO especially to be extremely beneficial), I'll almost always opt to fit Double Dance Landorus-T on, because its so versatile to any situation really.

As for the Mamoswine point, I've tried Freeze Dry a couple times, this helped especially with Rotom-W. However, for me, Superpower is extremely valuable, it allows me to break the normal core with relative ease (I otherwise would have a tough time being able to if it wasn't for it), and an all around great coverage attack. Tbh man, if I really want I could change it to LO, but its never really bothered me the fact that I had 3 choiced users, I still went off well.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions though, I appreciate it a ton! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)