Lickitung and Pals

Lickitung and Pals:
A Gen 6 LC Rate My Team by HollowRidley and Corporal Levi

Hello everyone, my name is HollowRidley, and this is my first ever RMT! I co-created this team with Corporal Levi, in an attempt to utilize underrated mons in the current Little Cup meta. What we ended up with is quite the team, and has preformed beyond expectations. Levi will introduce himself, and then we'll get right into the thick of things!

I’ll say here and now that I am extremely glad that I decided to build this team with Ridley. Despite some of the Pokemon choices on this team being somewhat unorthodox, they still mesh together to form what I would consider quite an effective team. I’ve personally had tons of success with this team even when relative to my teams with more popular Pokemon, and can say with absolute certainty that every member of this team contributes positively and noticeably. Ridley and I are very happy with how the team turned out, but suggestions will still be greatly appreciated, since there’s always room for improvement.

The Team:

Lickitung @ Eviolite
Ability: Own Tempo
Level: 5
EVs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Between possibly the best mixed defenses In LC and a gargantuan support movepool, Lickitung is the quintessential normal type support. Although Spritzee is more popular due to its superior defensive and offensive typing, Lickitung holds its own through its nearly unmatched statistical bulk, ability to essentially counter Swagger Murkrow/Purrloin, and access to Knock Off. Ridiculous 14 HP Wishes are the main draw to using Lickitung, and its ability to blatantly ignore all but the most powerful of non-super effective unboosted attacks gives it numerous opportunities to actually pass these wishes. Protect is there in case Lickitung needs to heal itself, since in conjunction with Wish it acts as reliable recovery. Heal Bell allows Lickitung to further support the team, and works especially well with Snubbull’s Rest, meaning Snubbull doesn’t have to rely on the unreliable Sleep Talk quite as much. At the moment, Knock Off is being used because it transforms Lickitung into arguably the best counter for Misdreavus available in addition to debilitating a lot of switch-ins, but help would be appreciated regarding whether Knock Off or a reliable STAB move in Body Slam should be used as Lickitung’s sole attacking move. We have tried giving Heal Bell to Snubbull so Lickitung can run both, but even with Wish support Snubbull finds itself in need of recovery far too often; for this reason, every move in Snubbull’s current set is vital to its success.

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Play Rough
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake

As the second part of the main defensive core, Snubbull provides a powerful physical wall, one that still has an offensive presence. Fantastic synergy with Licki made Snubbull the ideal teammate. Intimidate is an incredible ability, allowing easy switch ins to Meditite, and as such is this teams de-facto Tite counter. the given EVs and an Impish nature allows for maximum bulk while still maintaining a good offensive presence. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move, and Earthquake allows Snubbull to crush the Poison and Steels that would otherwise wall and defeat it. Rest and Sleep Talk were later additions to this set, and allow Snubbull to independently recover, as even with Lickitung's Wish support, Snubbull can still be worn down easily.

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

As this team is bulky semi-stall team team, resistances are the most important factor when determining teammates. As such, Magnemite is quite the impressive member, as it is immune and 4 times resists Snubbulls two weaknesses. While a Choice Scarf may seem like a strange item on a bulky team such as this, it is imperative as it allows for a means of pressuring the opponent with high damage, and also acting as a solid revenge killer. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are the obvious STABs, as well as Volt Switch, which is an incredible move in any scenario. Hidden Power Ground allows for the dismantling of Electric and Fire types that could otherwise smash our little magnet. Analytic may appear counter-intuitive on a scarf set, but allows for surprise KOs on switch ins. Modest was chosen as Magnemite already reachs a good Speed mark at 14, allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted meta.
To show just how powerful Magnemite is, I've prepared a calc to demonstrate its strength

240+ SpA Magnemite Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Spritzee: 218-258 (60.5 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And that is WITHOUT Analytic factored in!
Magnemite has proven itself time and time again as a valuable team member, and has definitely pulled its weight.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Without a fighting type to keep them in check, the likes of Pawniard and Tirtouga, among others, are able to pose as significant threats to the team. Of the available choices, Timburr finds itself as the physically bulkiest. Drain Punch is a powerful STAB move that also extends Timburr’s otherwise average longevity, and provides solid coverage in conjunction with Knock Off, which is also useful for incapacitating a variety of popular switch-ins. Mach Punch is the only offensive priority move on the team, and is necessary for picking off severely weakened opposing Pokemon. Stone Edge is solely for Larvesta, who is otherwise able to wear down our hazardless team down through U-Turn with impunity. The given EVs hit eviolite numbers for more bulk, and investing as much as possible into Timburr’s damage output allows for more powerful Drain Punches and thus more staying power. Although Guts may seem redundant with Heal Bell support with Lickitung, Lickitung will often be unable to find an opportunity to Heal Bell, preferring to pass enormous Wishes instead, and Guts is useful for random burns and paralysis to temporarily boost Timburr’s offensive potency through the roof.

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 116 HP / 200 Def / 40 SAtk / 120 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

As stated before, since our team lacks hazards, Larvesta has a field day, tearing our team apart, piece by piece. Physically Defensive Skrelp was added to stop this large threat. Skrelp actually has very good bulk, as well as another way to deal with that pesky Spritzee, in case Magnemite is taken out early on. Poison Point was chosen since this set is Defensive, and it allows for the crippling of attackers. Sludge Bomb is the primary attacking move, as it still has decent power and has a high chance to poison, again adding to Skrelp's utility. Scald acts as a secondary STAB, while also possessing a 30% chance to burn, making Skrelp quite the annoyance to deal with do the opponent. Thunderbolt provides coverage against bulky waters, and HP Fighting deals quite a hefty chunk to Pawniard, who is such a huge threat to this team. Overall, Skrelp is quite the underrated threat, and needs its time in the spotlight.

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Def / 236 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Defog

A semi-stall team such as this relies heavily on switching to appropriate checks and counters, and as such, vastly appreciates the removal of hazards so as to ease switching. With Gligar gone, Vullaby finds herself as indisputably the bulkiest defogger available, allowing her to fit in flawlessly with the other bulky Pokemon on the team. Knock Off and Brave Bird allow Vullaby to permanently cripple opposing pokes and deal solid damage, respectively, meaning Vullaby is far from a dead weight. A combination of the EVs and nature gives Vullaby eviolite numbers, making her incredibly difficult to break, and access to Roost ensures that Vullaby is here to stay and give the opponent a headache throughout the match. Overcoat is so Vullaby is able to repeatedly and easily switch into the otherwise extremely irritating Foongus and force it out.

And that's the end of it! If you made it to the finish line, kudos to you. As we said before, suggestions are appreciated, because the team is definitely not flawless. Feedback is most certainly appreciated!

If your feeling lucky, try taking the team for a spin yourself:

Lickitung @ Eviolite
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Play Rough
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 116 HP / 200 Def / 40 SAtk / 120 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Def / 236 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Kingmidas offered to do a mirror match to better give suggestions to our team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-90649230
The match itself was fun, but I'll say right here that it lasted exactly 100 turns, primarily due to the lack of hazards. Kingmidas and Abstract gave me some great suggestions, most notable of which was replacing Vullaby with Archen due to Archen's access to Stealth Rock. Kingmidas also mentioned a weakness to Analytic Magnemite, which was certainly demonstrated in the battle, so ideas on how to beat analytic mag would be appreciated.

Hi HollowRidley, since your suggestions were a big help to my OU team, I decided to give LC a try using the team you and your friend put together. Even though I had no idea what I was doing, I still managed to win quite easily in my first match. Magnemite did most of the work with it’s rather impressive coverage. Having 3 Knock Off users on the team was very surprising at first but worked wonders when those Eviolites fell like flies.

Just wondering, is there any reason why Snubull is missing 8 EVs and Magnemite/Skrelp missing 32?

Hi HollowRidley, since your suggestions were a big help to my OU team, I decided to give LC a try using the team you and your friend put together. Even though I had no idea what I was doing, I still managed to win quite easily in my first match. Magnemite did most of the work with it’s rather impressive coverage. Having 3 Knock Off users on the team was very surprising at first but worked wonders when those Eviolites fell like flies.

Just wondering, is there any reason why Snubull is missing 8 EVs and Magnemite/Skrelp missing 32?
Efficiency purposes. In LC EVs are different, and as such these EVs are the most efficent, as they allow us to max out stats while still being able to invest in others. Those 32 EVs won't boost any stats if we did add them, so there's no real point.

That being said, I'm glad the team worked out for you! If you notice any flaws, feel free to tell us ^_^

All I can say about this is that I haven't played since Gen 4 UU days of Shoddy Battle, came back a few days ago and started Gen5/6 for the first time by random battling, and then proceeded to try LC for the first time because I discovered that Showdown has a handy dandy text-importer.

I'm 4-0 with the team, rated 1119, with very little knowledge of the intricacies of either Gen 6 or LC. So kudos to your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)